North Country School
4382 Cascade Road
Lake Placid, NY 12946
Lake Placid, NY 12946
North Country School Photo #2 - North Country School students in grades 4-6 take introductory music classes, and students in grades 7-9 choose from many arts electives, including a wide range of music offerings. Students are strongly encouraged to bring their musical instruments and may take private lessons in piano, woodwinds and strings.
North Country School Photo #3 - Extracurricular activities at North Country School take full advantage of the mountain setting and offer students wide-ranging opportunities to try new activities, acquire new skills, and gain confidence. Hiking, backpacking and camping outings are common throughout the year. Rock and ice climbing, taught by professional instructors, takes place on an outdoor rock face with 36 routes.
North Country School Photo #4 - North Country School embraces the use of computer technology as a critical learning tool. Homework and other class projects are posted on NCS' Google Apps platform, facilitating student-teacher communication. Students use state-of-the-art Google Chromebook laptops, and the computer lab is equipped with modern video and photo editing software.
North Country School Photo #5 - North Country School's horseback riding program includes 10 horses, two riding rings, and miles of mountain trails. NCS operates a working farm and extensive vegetable gardens that teach students lessons about responsibility and community.
North Country School Photo #6 - North Country School's annual spring theatre production involves the entire school and highlights student actors and sophisticated theatre technology. Students may choose to be actors, set designers, musicians, or members of the stage crew. NCS provides students with many avenues for creative expression that promote a life-long love of the arts.
North Country School Photo #7 - North Country School students live with a roommate in small houses of 8-10 children. The house becomes the place for much of a student's learning and growth. Wednesdays are "home nights" when each house prepares and eats dinner together and enjoys outdoor games and activities.
North Country School Photo #8 - North Country School students come from diverse backgrounds, cultures and countries - and they are known well by the dedicated, multi-talented adults who teach, live with and care for them.
North Country School Photo #9 - Through a variety or teaching methods, hands-on projects, and innovative uses of technology, North Country School students acquire critical academic skills in the humanities, math, sciences and the arts. NCS has high expectations for students, and the school also recognizes that all children learn differently. Each child is challenged according to his or her ability.
- North Country School offers a hands-on approach to academics, outdoor education, and family-style living.
- Our community nurtures self-confidence, resourcefulness and the acquisition of knowledge.
- With a 3:1 student-teacher ratio, we employ talented adults who teach and care for our children.
- Founded in 1938, North Country School (NCS) offers a traditional curriculum for boarding and day students in grades 4-9.
- NCS students come from diverse backgrounds, cultures and countries, and they are known well by the dedicated, multi-talented adults who teach and care for them.
- NCS' unique programming - engaging academics, extensive offerings in studio and performing arts, family-style residential living, and outdoor activities from horseback riding to ice climbing - provides a variety of venues through which every child can find success.
- The spectacular North Country School campus is in the Adirondack Mountains near Lake Placid, NY, a popular resort destination and site of two Winter Olympic Games.
- Our 200-acre campus features a working farm, extensive gardens, and alpine wilderness that provide hands-on opportunities for learning and growth.
- Here, children in grades 4-9 benefit from a literal and metaphorical breath of fresh air; our students thrive in a carefully-paced program that features equal parts academics, arts, work, and play.
- The guidance of talented, committed adults and a strong, diverse community instill in students values of simple living and environmental responsibility.
- With a unique mix of inspiring people, place, and programs, North Country School helps students flourish.
|Definition of Terms |
2019 School Data
|North Country School|
|School Focus||Junior Boarding School|
|Grades (Boarding)||Grades 4-9|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes|
|Campus Size||220 acres|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students|
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:3|
|Number of AP Courses Offered||n/a|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$9,950|
(There is a 7-week session that costs $9,950 and a 4-week session that costs $7,300. Financial aid is available.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$13 million|
|Tuition international students||$65,550|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes|
|Director of Admissions||David Damico|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Rachel Carter|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15 Interscholastic Sports|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Drill Team, Equestrian, Freestyle Skiing, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||16 Extracurriculars|
|Extracurriculars||Arts and Music Programs:|
Art Club, Ceramics Club, Chorus, Fiber Arts, Rock Band, Studio Art, Theater, Theatre Arts, Theatre Tech
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Basketball Club, Camping Club, Hiking Club, Music Theatre Club, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding
|Year: 2013-2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Kimball Union Academy||1|
|Northfield Mount Hermon School||1|
|St. Paul's School||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- ACADEMICS - Our traditional core curriculum, enriched by hands-on projects and activities, focuses on the acquisition of solid academic skills. Small classes allow for attention and instruction that challenge each child according to his or her ability. We have high expectations for our students. NCS founder Walter Clark wrote, "This whole school was built on this thought: children need direct experience if they are to grow and learn most effectively." Years later, our focus on direct experience remains at the heart of our program. Children learn by doing, and they grow by exploring new things, all with the guidance of caring, creative adults. In our academic program, the emphasis on experiential learning is evident in hands-on projects and lessons that focus on our location. In North Country School classes, math students learn about measurement and acquire new computer skills when they record and track the weights of newborn lambs in the barnyard. Science students study anatomy by reassembling chicken skeletons using bones from birds they harvested in the fall. Students learn the physical properties of snow pack during a winter term unit on avalanches. In English class, students write persuasive letters to elected officials about current issues they have researched; they create hand-bound, hard-cover journals of their writing and artwork. In arts electives, students paint barn murals, renovate a rowboat in disrepair, or dye wool from our sheep to use in knitting and felting projects. To help students acquire the basic and advanced skills they need in all core academic disciplines, NCS teachers employ a mix of instructional strategies. From collaborative group work to lectures to hands-on labs and projects, students experience innovative teaching strategies on a daily basis. A variety of support services is also available to meet students` needs. Finally, North Country School embraces the use of computer technology as a critical learning tool. Homework and other class projects are posted on NCS' Google Apps platform, facilitating student-teacher communication. The computer lab is equipped with modern video and photo editing software. While NCS keeps current with technological advances, the school takes pride in a judicious use of technology in order to minimize students' unproductive computer time.
- RESIDENTIAL LIFE - Students at NCS live with a roommate in one of 6 small houses of 8-10 children. A team of faculty houseparents works carefully to support and supervise each child. Sharing living spaces and the daily routines of morning wake-up, evening study hall, and bedtime creates strong relationships among the children and adults in the house. The house becomes the place for much of each student's learning and growth. "Home nights" every Wednesday - when each house prepares and eats dinner together and enjoys special activities - help students feel a sense of family and a "home away from home."
- ARTS - "Art every day" are words we live by at North Country School. For a school our size, we have an unusually large group of arts teachers (more than one-third of the faculty teaches an arts class) and an impressive array of course listings. All students have the equivalent of at least one art class every day, with younger students rotating through core classes in music, theatre, painting and drawing, ceramics, fiber arts, photography, and woodshop. 7th-9th graders choose from electives that provide opportunities for advanced mastery of core arts, as well as exposure to new offerings that range from documentary filmmaking to wooden boat restoration or trash fashion. Students of all ages have opportunities to submit their work to juried art shows sponsored by local arts organizations. Intersession is a week in February dedicated to arts and crafts, and the annual spring play is a decades-old tradition that involves nearly everyone on campus. Every year the production features original sets, music, effects, and costuming that are remarkable for both their creativity and sustainability-most staging and costuming are made from recycled materials from years past.
- OUTDOORS & ATHLETICS - Taking full advance of our spectacular mountain setting, the Outdoor Program offerings range from a walk in the woods to ambitious multi-day hiking and backpacking trips. We offer team sports: soccer, basketball, cross-country skiing and ultimate frisbee, as well as an equestrian program with ten horses, two riding rings and miles of mountain trails. In the winter months we have extensive snow sport offerings: skiing and snowboarding on our own ski hill and at Whiteface Mountain, Nordic skiing, skating, and ice climbing. The outdoor program encourages students to take risks, acquire new skills, and gain confidence. All gear, except for personal clothing, is provided so that all children have the opportunity to participate in all offerings.
- LD types supported: ADHD/ADD, mild to moderate learning differences, Executive Functioning support
- North Country School accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS) and NY Association of Independent Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for North Country School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 3-9| 224 students 132.8 miles94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- Grades: 1-8 | 30 students 490.5 miles128 Oakland Farm Way
Troy, VA 22974
- Grades: 5-9 | 165 students 173.2 miles404 Robin Hill Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.
Applying to boarding school is a long process with many parts to it. This checklist will help you organize the process and manage your time efficiently.