- "Founded in 1905, Northwood is located in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains in Lake Placid, a small village that twice hosted the Winter Olympics (1932 and 1980).
- It is also the home of the Lake Placid Center for the Arts; consequently, the area offers unique outdoor, athletic, and cultural opportunities.
- The School is 2 hours from Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Albany, New York; and Burlington, Vermont.
- The 85-acre campus is nestled in the heart of the village and at the base of Cobble Mountain.
- The Adirondack Mountains surround the village and are a beautiful backdrop for the School...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Northwood The academics are very challenging. The professors really care about the success of each student. They will offer assistance to ensure the rigorous material is thoroughly understood. The classes are very small, perfect for serious. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Northwood School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||80 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||173 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1670||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1580 - 1840||-|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||9 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||7||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$9 million||$16 million|
|Tuition international students||$59,500||$47,400|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$24,900||$22,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Brad D'Arco|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Carrie Wardlaw|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||7||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, Psychology, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Climbing, Crew, Cycling, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||5||23|
|Extracurriculars||Community Service Club, Newspaper, Reading Club, Student Government, Yearbook|
|Year: 2012 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Vermont||4|
|Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)||3|
|University of Maine||2|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
The advantage of a Northwood School education is that we provide students with first hand experiences that allow them to find and explore their passions, create a skills and knowledge base that will be applicable in college and beyond, and distinguishes Northwood School students in the college admission process.
- We offer a traditional college prep curriculum, with AP offerings in all academic disciplines, in addition to a robust co-curricular program.
- Northwood School`s offerings and facilities focused on Innovation, Design and Entrepreneurial studies provide first hand experiences rarely offered to students at the high school level.
- Project-based curriculum that emphasizes engagement in the community, growth in creative thinking, and supports the "building" of projects through a wide range of tools and materials.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: N.Y.S.A.I.S.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Eleanor Powell '80 - Executive Director, Investor Relations at The Estee Lauder Companies Inc
- Theodore Davidge Lockwood ‘42 - Former President of Trinity College, 1968-1981
- Mike Richter '85 - 1988, 1998, 2002 Olympics, Ice Hockey
- Dr. Amanda Donohue ‘94 - Cardiologist with Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center
- Darcy Prime ‘73 Owner - Darcy Prime Consulting, Former Assistant Director of Admissions, Stanford University
- Thomas Vonn '94 - 2002 Olympics, Alpine Skiing
- Nancy Kirhoffer ‘82 - Post Production Supervisor, Hollywood Film Industry
- Andrew Weibrecht '08 - 2010 Olympics, Alpine Skiing
- Craig Randall '61 - Mayor Lake Placid, NY
- Brad Olch '69 - Former Mayor, Park City, Utah
Submit Review for Northwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
August 17, 2017
As you consider sending your child off to boarding school, you have concerns. Every parent does. We address some of those concerns for you.
August 16, 2017
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 05, 2017
Boarding schools are a subset of private schools which many people don't know much about. Here are five points to ponder as you research boarding schools.