Northwood School Photo #2 - Academically, our students engage with a rigorous college preparatory curriculum while also engaging in intensive, hands-on learning experiences including Honors-level Independent Study, LEAP, Innovation Hub, Advanced STEM Research, Advanced Humanities Research, design thinking, robotics, entrepreneurship, Learning Center, and cross-pollination with partners.
Northwood School Photo #3 - Culturally, Northwood School's diverse student body consists of 190 students from every region of the United States and 25+ countries, bringing rich perspectives.
Northwood School Photo #4 - Northwood students have a unique connection and unparalleled access to the 6 million acre Adirondack Park. This includes actively exploring the mountains, lakes, and streams around us, but also connecting with the vibrant conservancy and scientific community in the area.
Northwood School Photo #5 - The LEAP Program provides Northwood School students with unique opportunities to experience firsthand learning in new, and often unfamiliar, environments. During our week-long intensive courses, students and teachers travel near and far to explore topics outside the realm of a traditional college preparatory program.
Northwood School Photo #6 - Northwood School has a beach on Mirror Lake a short walk from campus. Students and faculty utilize the beach for a wide array of water activities. You'll also see our crew team setting off from what we call, Northwood Beach.
Northwood School Photo #7 - Northwood School's Innovation + Design course follows the MIT School of Architecture and Planning`s model for collaborative problem solving in the form of a project-based curriculum that emphasizes an engagement in community, grows creative thinking, and supports the "building" of projects through a wide range of tools and materials.
Northwood School Photo #8 - The Northwood School robotics program offers both academic courses for credit and co-curricular options for students who'd like to spend time outside of school learning about programming and problem solving through robotics design. Northwood participates in both the FIRST Robotics and VEX Robotics competitive circuits.
Northwood School Photo #9 - Whether they are playing the ukulele, making a stop motion video, or drawing a self-portrait, artists at Northwood are passionate. Northwood Art Department offers students a wide rand of courses in the visual and performing arts to engage creatively and explore their artistic talents.
Northwood School Photo #10 - Geographically and Environmentally, students can adventure in the timeless wilds of the Adirondacks while also enjoying the modern comforts and amenities of the vibrant village of Lake Placid. The greater Lake Placid/the Adirondacks and the nearby Olympic facilities are extensions of our classrooms and labs.
Northwood School is an internationally recognized boarding and day school, pairing rich academics with elite sports to form confident, globally-minded students.
Situated in the world-renowned Olympic destination of Lake Placid, our campus is home to 184 students from every region of the United States and over 25 countries, who are eager to experience the location`s unique offerings.
Northwood students bring with them rich perspectives and graduate with the passion and know-how to immerse themselves in our ever-changing world.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Northwood The academics are very challenging. The professors really care about the success of each student. They will offer assistance to ensure the rigorous material is thoroughly understood. The classes are very small, perfect for serious. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Northwood School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||85 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||189 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1120||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1030 - 1230||-|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants, collared shirts)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$25 million|
|Tuition international students||$65,560||$54,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,500|
(FA Granted Based on Need-Based Process)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Gino Riffle|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Carrie Wardlaw|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||18|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus A/B, Calculus B/C, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, Macroeconomics, Psychology, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Climbing, Crew, Dance, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Riding, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Newspaper, Northwood Outing Club, Outdoor Leadership, Reading Club, Student Government, Sustainability Club
Arts and Music Programs:
|Year: 2015 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|St. Lawrence University||12|
|Concordia University (Montreal)||8|
|Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)||7|
|University at Buffalo||7|
|University of Maine||5|
|Miami University (OH)||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Northwood Difference - At Northwood, no one is anonymous. The Northwood experience begins with strong personal faculty-student and peer-to-peer relationships, instilling students with the confidence and maturity to engage with the outside world. We leverage our environment to create a high-touch, comprehensive educational experience. While focusing on place-based learning, students engage with nature, Olympic facilities, and the local community with an impact that extends well beyond our intimate pastoral grounds.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Northwood School accreditations: N.Y.S.A.I.S.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Eleanor Powell '80 - Executive Director, Investor Relations at The Estee Lauder Companies Inc
- Theodore Davidge Lockwood ‘42 - Former President of Trinity College, 1968-1981
- Mike Richter '85 - 1988, 1998, 2002 Olympics, Ice Hockey
- Dr. Amanda Donohue ‘94 - Cardiologist with Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center
- Darcy Prime ‘73 Owner - Darcy Prime Consulting, Former Assistant Director of Admissions, Stanford University
- Thomas Vonn '94 - 2002 Olympics, Alpine Skiing
- Nancy Kirhoffer ‘82 - Post Production Supervisor, Hollywood Film Industry
- Andrew Weibrecht '03 - 2010, 2014 Olympics, Alpine Skiing
- Craig Randall '61 - Mayor Lake Placid, NY
- Brad Olch '69 - Former Mayor, Park City, Utah
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Northwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Two kinds of admissions are in use at American boarding schools: admissions with a fixed deadline and rolling admissions. We take a look at rolling admissions.
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
A military high school might be an option for your son or daughter. We take a look at what these schools offer.