Northwood School Photo #2 - Traditional college prep curriculum with AP courses in every discipline and signature programs in Entrepreneurial Studies, Innovation + Design, and Robotics.
Northwood School Photo #3 - With a student to teacher ratio of 6:1 and an average class size of 10, Northwood School is able to offer a personalized approach to each student's education.
Northwood School Photo #4 - Northwood students have a unique connection and unparalleled access to the 6 million acre Adirondack Park. This includes actively exploring the mountains, lakes, and streams around us, but also connecting with the vibrant conservancy and scientific community in the area.
Northwood School Photo #5 - The LEAP Program provides Northwood School students with unique opportunities to experience firsthand learning in new, and often unfamiliar, environments. During our week-long intensive courses, students and teachers travel near and far to explore topics outside the realm of a traditional college preparatory program.
Northwood School Photo #6 - Northwood School has a beach on Mirror Lake a short walk from campus. Students and faculty utilize the beach for a wide array of water activities. You'll also see our crew team setting off from what we call, Northwood Beach.
Northwood School Photo #7 - Northwood School's Innovation + Design course follows the MIT School of Architecture and Planning`s model for collaborative problem solving in the form of a project-based curriculum that emphasizes an engagement in community, grows creative thinking, and supports the "building" of projects through a wide range of tools and materials.
Northwood School Photo #8 - The Northwood School robotics program offers both academic courses for credit and co-curricular options for students who'd like to spend time outside of school learning about programming and problem solving through robotics design. Northwood participates in both the FIRST Robotics and VEX Robotics competitive circuits.
Northwood School Photo #9 - Whether they are playing the ukulele, making a stop motion video, or drawing a self-portrait, artists at Northwood are passionate. Northwood Art Department offers students a wide rand of courses in the visual and performing arts to engage creatively and explore their artistic talents.
Northwood School Photo #10 - Northwood School has a rich tradition of athletics dating back to its founding in 1905. Our Mission Statement at Northwood states that we are here to provide a setting for students to determine and attain personal goals through a balance of rigorous academics, an awareness of the natural beauty of the Adirondack Mountains, and the unique athletic opportunities available in the region. Hence, the athletic program supports the Mission Statement in educating our students to improve and foster their moral, mental, and physical development.
- Founded in 1905, Northwood School is located in the heart of the Adirondack Mountains in Lake Placid, New York; a beautiful mountain town which has twice hosted the Winter Olympics (1932 and 1980).
- Northwood enjoys close proximity and working relationships with organizations like the Lake Placid Center for the Arts, the Adirondack Writing Center, The Pendragon Theater, and The Wild Center, and others which offer unique artistic, creative, outdoor, and cultural opportunities in the area.
- Northwood School is a 2 hour drive from Montreal, Quebec, Canada; Albany, New York; and Burlington, Vermont.
- Northwood's 85-acre campus is nestled beneath Cobble Mountain, just across Mirror Lake from the shops and restaurants of Lake Placid's Main Street.
- The Adirondack Mountains surround Northwood's campus and provide, a beautiful setting to live, work, and play for our students and faculty.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Northwood The academics are very challenging. The professors really care about the success of each student. They will offer assistance to ensure the rigorous material is thoroughly understood. The classes are very small, perfect for serious. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Northwood School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||85 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||190 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1120||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1030 - 1230||-|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants, collared shirts)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$62,000||$50,000|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$40,105|
(FA Granted Based on Need-Based Process)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Brad D'Arco|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Carrie Wardlaw|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus A/B, Calculus B/C, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, Macroeconomics, Psychology, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||24||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Figure Skating, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Nordic Skiing, Riding, Rock Climbing, Ski Jumping, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||9||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Community Service Club, Newspaper, Northwood Outing Club, Outdoor Leadership, Reading Club, Student Government, Sustainability Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Jazz Band, Yearbook
|Year: 2014 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|St. Lawrence University||12|
|Concordia University (Montreal)||8|
|Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI)||7|
|University at Buffalo||7|
|University of Maine||5|
|Miami University (OH)||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
The advantage of a Northwood School education is that we provide students with first hand experiences that allow them to find and explore their passions, create a skills and knowledge base that will be applicable in college and beyond, and distinguishes Northwood School students in the college admission process.
- We offer a traditional college prep curriculum, with AP offerings in all academic disciplines, in addition to a robust co-curricular program.
- Northwood School`s offerings and facilities focused on Innovation, Design and Entrepreneurial studies provide first hand experiences rarely offered to students at the high school level.
- Project-based curriculum that emphasizes engagement in the community, growth in creative thinking, and believes in learning by doing through a wide range of tools and materials.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Northwood School accreditations: N.Y.S.A.I.S.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Eleanor Powell '80 - Executive Director, Investor Relations at The Estee Lauder Companies Inc
- Theodore Davidge Lockwood ‘42 - Former President of Trinity College, 1968-1981
- Mike Richter '85 - 1988, 1998, 2002 Olympics, Ice Hockey
- Dr. Amanda Donohue ‘94 - Cardiologist with Orange Coast Memorial Medical Center
- Darcy Prime ‘73 Owner - Darcy Prime Consulting, Former Assistant Director of Admissions, Stanford University
- Thomas Vonn '94 - 2002 Olympics, Alpine Skiing
- Nancy Kirhoffer ‘82 - Post Production Supervisor, Hollywood Film Industry
- Andrew Weibrecht '03 - 2010, 2014 Olympics, Alpine Skiing
- Craig Randall '61 - Mayor Lake Placid, NY
- Brad Olch '69 - Former Mayor, Park City, Utah
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Northwood School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
You need to know what is being taught before you decide which boarding school is best for you.
Spotlight on boarding schools in Canada.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.