Avon Old Farms School
Avon Old Farms School Photo #2 - Our 860 acre campus is comprised of breathtaking panoramic vistas; rustic hiking trails; a serene pond for swimming and fishing; and abundant seasonal foliage.
Avon Old Farms School Photo #3 - Our core values of Brotherhood, Scholarship, Integrity, and Sportsmanship serve as the foundation to enduring life lessons at Avon Old Farms.
Avon Old Farms School Photo #4 - At Avon, academic excellence consists of thorough instruction in the basic disciplines, the development of sound study habits, and the opportunity to be challenged by increasingly complex subject matter.
Avon Old Farms School Photo #5 - Our sports teams have won over 30 league and New England championships over the last 15 years, and many of our athletes move on to compete for some of the nation's foremost collegiate programs before moving on to be famous professional athletes.
Avon Old Farms School Photo #6 - Our English Cotswold styled architecture has been compared to the majestic environment of that found in the classic academy award winning Harry Potter movies.
Avon Old Farms School Photo #7 - At Avon, the arts are more than paint on a canvas, pixels on a screen, notes in the air, or chords in the hand - our boys experience a journey of creative discovery through personal programs allowing them to explore their undiscovered talents.
Avon Old Farms School Photo #8 - Avon cultivates young men of integrity, who honor wisdom, justice, inclusion, service and the pursuit of truth, all within a tightly bonded brotherhood community.
Avon Old Farms School Photo #9 - Because of the quality and experience of the faculty/staff and the careful organization of time set aside for personal instruction and guidance, we believe that a boy will find a superior academic program at Avon Old Farms.
- Avon Old Farms is expert in educating boys by leveraging relational learning in a very structured and well balanced environment, fostering the character traits needed to be successful throughout one's entire life, all within a unique brotherhood community - guided by traditional Avonian values.
- Avon is a Community Where Traditions Live, Where Scholarship Flourishes, Where Boys Become Men.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- United States Military Academy Morning meeting every morning at 7:45 am really brought the community together and started each day off right. Also mandatory lunches, they gave you assigned seating which give you the opportunity to meet new people. . .
- Tufts University The all-boys atmosphere provides a working atmosphere similar to a giant team of students banding together to tackle their education. It establishes trust amongst the student body and allows the same kind of trust to. . .
- Middlebury College The physical campus is probably the most unique thing about it. There is nowhere that looks or feels like Avon and it instills the community with a sense of togetherness in ways that are often. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Avon Old Farms||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||860 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||405 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1270||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1150 - 1390||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$53 million||$23 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||60%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Patrick Miller|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science A, English Literature and Composition, Environmantal Science, French Language and Culture, Latin, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics: C Mechanics, Spanish Language and Culture, Statistics, Studio Art, US Government, US History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||46||24|
|Extracurriculars||Book Lovers on Thursday (BLT), Current Events Forum, Dance Performance, Double Helix, Ethics Committee, Extreme Baseball League, Figure Skating, Hippocrene, History Club, Horseback Riding, International Club, Irish-American Club, Italian Club, Japanese Animation, Jazz Club, Model UN, Music, Newspaper, Nimrod Club, ONYX (African-American Culture), Operation Smile (fun raising for individuals with facial disfiguration), Orange and Blue Key tour guide program, Peer counseling, Prefect Council, Public Issues Board (current event issues and programmers), Rangers (student technology assistants), Riddlers Choral Group, Rock Band, Rugby Club, Self-Government Association, Snow Riders, Social Activities Committee, Spanish Club, SPHERE, Spirit, Squash Club, Stock Market Club, Student Activities Association, Student Council, Students Against Drunk Driving (SADD), Technology Club, The Asian (cultural periodical), The Riddlers, Theatre Productions, Toys for Tots, Yearbook|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Established: 1927 by the famous architect Theodate Pope Riddle
- Campus Size: 860 beautiful acres conveniently located between Boston & New York City
- Enrollment: 405 boys, 75% are Boarding Students
- States/countries Represented: 26/20 with an International Student Population of 20%
- Average Class Size: 12 with a 6:1 Student to Teacher Ratio
- Interscholastic Sports: 15
- Avon Old Farms School accreditations: TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Pete Seeger '36 - Award-winning musician/songwriter, environmentalist
- David Bigelow '44 - Co-Chairman and Co-CEO R.C. Bigelow Tea Company
- Richard Yates '44 - Novelist (Revolutionary Road), short story writer
- Stephen Lash '58 - Chairman of Christie's, North and South America
- Michael Nouri '64 - Broadway, film, television actor
- John Garvey '78 - Garvey Spacecraft; former NASA rocket scientist
- Brian Conroy '82 - Head of Global Equity Trading, Fidelity Investments
- Brian Leetch '86 - World Cup, Olympics, and NHL; NY Rangers; Hall of Fame
- Kristian Bush ’88 - Musician -award winning country music duo- Sugarland
- Kevin McKernan ’91 - Scientist, Agencourt;Whitehead Institute-Genome Research;
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Avon Old Farms School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Read frequently asked questions on a range of boarding school related topics.
Small class sizes are one of the main reasons why you send your child to boarding school. Here's why small class sizes work.