Our core values of Brotherhood, Scholarship, Integrity, and Sportsmanship serve as the foundation to enduring life lessons at Avon Old Farms.
At Avon, academic excellence consists of thorough instruction in the basic disciplines, the development of sound study habits, and the opportunity to be challenged by increasingly complex subject matter.
Our sports teams have won over 30 league and New England championships over the last 15 years, and many of our athletes move on to compete for some of the nation's foremost collegiate programs before moving on to be famous professional athletes.
Our English Cotswold styled architecture has been compared to the majestic environment of that found in the classic academy award winning Harry Potter movies.
At Avon, the arts are more than paint on a canvas, pixels on a screen, notes in the air, or chords in the hand - our boys experience a journey of creative discovery through personal programs allowing them to explore their undiscovered talents.
Avon cultivates young men of integrity, who honor wisdom, justice, inclusion, service and the pursuit of truth, all within a tightly bonded brotherhood community.
Our 860 acre campus is comprised of breathtaking panoramic vistas; rustic hiking trails; a serene pond for swimming and fishing; and abundant seasonal foliage.
Because of the quality and experience of the faculty/staff and the careful organization of time set aside for personal instruction and guidance, we believe that a boy will find a superior academic program at Avon Old Farms.
- Avon Old Farms is expert in educating boys by leveraging relational learning in a very structured and well balanced environment, fostering the character traits needed to be successful throughout one's entire life, all within a unique brotherhood community - guided by traditional Avonian values.
- Avon is a Community Where Traditions Live, Where Scholarship Flourishes, Where Boys Become Men.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- United States Military Academy Morning meeting every morning at 7:45 am really brought the community together and started each day off right. Also mandatory lunches, they gave you assigned seating which give you the opportunity to meet new people. . .
- Tufts University The all-boys atmosphere provides a working atmosphere similar to a giant team of students banding together to tackle their education. It establishes trust amongst the student body and allows the same kind of trust to. . .
- Middlebury College The physical campus is probably the most unique thing about it. There is nowhere that looks or feels like Avon and it instills the community with a sense of togetherness in ways that are often. . .
- Lake Forest College The fact that the student body population is small- 400 kids or so, and most of the students and teachers live on the property give it a real at-home feeling. Kids come from all over. . .
- Rensselaer The schools principles and mission revolve around character development. Students have a very close bond with teachers / administrators which helps foster an open form of communication. The schools also does a great. . .
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Avon Old Farms||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||800 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||409 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||1705||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1550 - 1870||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$50 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$26,315||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||60%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Leon Hayword|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||16|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Economics, English Literature and Composition, Environmantal Science, European History, Latin, Spanish, Statistics, Studio Art, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||46||23|
|Extracurriculars||Annual Blood Drive, Art Club, Audio Visual Club, Avon Fellowship, Avon Record, Biking Club, Breakdancing Club, Camping Club, Chorale, Community Service Club, Connecticut Forum, Creative Writing Club, Cricket, Environment Club, Film Club, Food Club, Habitat for Humanity, Hippocrene, History Club, International Club, Irish-American Club, Italian Club, Japanese Animation, Jazz Club, Model UN,|
- Established: 1927 by the famous architect Theodate Pope Riddle
- Campus Size: 860 beautiful acres conveniently located between Boston & New York City
- Enrollment: 404 boys, 75% are Boarding Students
- States/countries Represented: 26/24 with an International Student Population of 20%
- Average Class Size: 12 with a 6:1 Student to Teacher Ratio
- Interscholastic Sports: 15
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Pete Seeger '36 - Award-winning musician/songwriter, environmentalist
- David Bigelow '44 - Co-Chairman and Co-CEO R.C. Bigelow Tea Company
- Richard Yates '44 - Novelist (Revolutionary Road), short story writer
- Stephen Lash '58 - Chairman of Christie's, North and South America
- Michael Nouri '64 - Broadway, film, television actor
- John Garvey '78 - Garvey Spacecraft; former NASA rocket scientist
- Brian Conroy '82 - Head of Global Equity Trading, Fidelity Investments
- Brian Leetch '86 - World Cup, Olympics, and NHL; NY Rangers; Hall of Fame
- Kristian Bush ’88 - Musician -award winning country music duo- Sugarland
- Kevin McKernan ’91 - Scientist, Agencourt;Whitehead Institute-Genome Research;
Submit Review for Avon Old Farms School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.