5.00 (6 reviews)
Tel: (860) 567-1802
12 Norfolk Road, P.O. Box 80
Litchfield, CT 06759
Litchfield, CT 06759
Forman School Photo #2 - Forman offers a traditional college preparatory program that balances academics with athletics, arts, clubs and other extracurricular activities.
Forman School Photo #3 - The academic program at Forman School offers a college preparatory curriculum under the auspices of the Forman Institute for Cognition and Learning. Courses including metacognitive strategies, thinking and writing, executive function coaching, and perspectives in learning enable students to understand how they learn and develop strategies and self advocacy skills for success in college and beyond.
Forman School Photo #4 - The Science Center opened in September 2013. The 9000 square foot building includes four state-of-the-art labs, a large commons area with the latest technology and small math classrooms. Outside is a Raingarden that features a vernal pond and indigenous plantings used as a living lab by ecology classes.
Forman School Photo #5 - Students participate throughout the year in Forman?'s after-class program. Activities range from competitive sports to boatbuilding to theater arts. FALL - football, soccer, cross country, volleyball, rock climbing, boat building, theater WINTER - ice hockey, basketball, wrestling, coed alpine racing, dance, fitness, boatbuilding, theater SPRING - lacrosse, tennis, baseball, crew, golf, ultimate frisbee, whitewater kayaking, equestrian, theater
Forman School Photo #6 - This Music Program at Forman is designed for musicians of all levels; specifically, those who want to develop their talent while having fun learning and playing music in a band. We focus on learning parts, understanding the basic language of music, playing together, improvising, and individual technique.
Forman School Photo #7 - The Outdoor Leadership Program allows students to explore and challenge themselves in multiple areas of our 100+ acre campus and the surrounding rivers and mountains of Northwest Connecticut.
Forman School Photo #8 - The Theater Program offers two years of acting training, half-year classes in improvisation and public speaking and a technical theater class. Auditions for co-curricular productions are open to all students. Plays are presented at the end of each sports season; a musical is mounted each winter. For a list of performances see: www.formanschool.org/arts/performing-arts
- Based on his or her unique learning profile, Forman develops the whole student so that every graduate becomes an educated, confident, self-advocate throughout life.
- Founded in 1930, on the belief that many gifted students were not being adequately served by traditional teaching methods, the founders tapped Albert Einstein and Sam Orton as board members for their knowledge in the emerging fields of neuroscience and dyslexia.
- The School serves over 200 students from 24 states and 15 countries and has a 100 percent college acceptance rate.
- In addition to our year round program, we offer a 4-week summer school that serves students entering grades 7 -11.
- Forman School Welcomes Students Back to Campus - 09/09/2020 - On Monday, September 7, 2020, Forman School in Litchfield, Connecticut held its first day of classes for the new school year. Students returned to campus in small groups over the ...morelast two weeks in an orderly process designed to minimize the possible transmission of the COVID-19 virus. All students were tested upon arrival at campus before being allowed to move into their dorms. "We have also completed our first round of re-testing with no positive results," said Head of School Adam Man. "We are in the second round right now." Like all schools in the country, Forman closed its campus in March and moved to remote learning to finish last year. Since then, the School has been working diligently toward this week. "We have had to reimagine everything. There is no facet of the School that we have not had to re-work," said Man. "And of course, there was no blueprint because no one has had to do this before." Man and his staff started making reopening plans back in April. "I`ve never seen a group of people work so hard over a summer. And it paid off," says Man. "Registration and orientation both went well." The changes were implemented with two basic goals; to prevent the transmission of the virus and to contain it if someone is found to be infectious. In order to maintain social distancing, every large space on campus has been repurposed to become a classroom, from the Risley Gymnasium to the Jake Cloobeck `16 Theater. New desks and tables have been moved to these new spaces and the School now has over 150 new desks so every regular classroom can accommodate six feet of social distancing comfortably.There are hand sanitizer dispensers in every classroom and at the entrance of every building. Central air systems have been upgraded and there are HEPA air purification systems all over campus. Forman purchased outdoor furniture to encourage safer, outside gatherings. Tents have been set up to provide an Outdoor Student Center and Bistro. The School has also upgraded its cleaning procedures and has taken a dorm offline to be an isolation center if anyone should contract the virus. "Our students are grateful for the effort put in to reopen the School. Most of them have been away since March and they are excited to be back," says Man. "Six months is a long time to be away from your friends. Yet there is some trepidation as we are asking them to wear masks and practice social distancing. But so far, so good." Jaime Feinman, Forman`s Director of Admission, reports that Forman`s enrollment has remained steady with some new students coming on board over the year as families evaluate remote learning this fall. "Our students are very energized right now," says Feinman. "Even though our first assembly was held outside on the Green, with everyone wearing masks and socially distanced, it was a great moment. The Forman family is back together again." Adam Man agrees. "The overall response by faculty, staff and students has been heartwarming. We are all dedicated to making this work." hide
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- purdue university The school felt like home. I know everyone and I know it sounds cliche but it was it was my home away from home. I had dorm parents who I respected like parent. They took. . .
- Clarkson University There are two specific things that make Forman unique. The first being the location of the school. The second benign the immense about of different programs and extracurricular star Forman had to offer. . .
- Bryant University Forman was a transformative experience for me, both in terms of my education and my personal development. Also, Forman's small size, quaint campus and close-nit community made warming up to a new place and people. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Forman School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||125 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||219 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(blazer, khaki pants)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$8,695|
(Summer 2019 Boarding Tuition - $8,695 Summer 2019 Day Tuition - $7,080)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$8 million||$23 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$18,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jaime Feinman|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Meredith Shafer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||24|
|Extracurriculars||Community Service Association, Girl Scouts, Improv Comedy Club, Rock and Blues Band, Student Government, Student Leader Program, Theater Arts, Tour Guide Program|
Club or Organization:
Community Service Club, Model UN, National Honor Society, Yearbook
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Forman School is a coed, college preparatory boarding school for bright students in grades 9-PG, with diagnosed language-based learning differences, such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, executive functioning, ADD, ADHD.
- We employ state-of-the-art assistive technology that both supports and empowers our students.
- Each student works with specially trained teachers to study metacognitive skills, multisensory reading, thinking and writing, and executive function coaching// Tutors are available every evening for help with homework and reinforcement of learning skills and content from class.
- All Forman students are guided through a college preparatory curriculum and the school has a 100% college acceptance rate
- Our extensive visual/performing arts programs, as well as 23 competitive/non-competitive athletic offerings give students an opportunity to explore new and existing areas of interest.
- The School offers a number of hands-on, experiential learning opportunities such as travel/study Winterim program, boat building, sign language, rock & jazz band, videography & photography, and the Costa Rican Rain Forest project.
- Litchfield is a small, rural town located in the hills of northwestern Connecticut, two hours from New York and two and a half hours from Boston.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia/Language based LD
- Forman School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- J Seward Johnson II - Bronze Sculptor
- David Rublin - Member of the band American Authors
- Richard Henkels - Award-winning cinematographer
- Eli Gesner - One of the founding members of ZooYork.
- Mitchell Block - Academy Award winning producer and Academy Award nominated filmmaker
- Toni Fishman - Owner of Telefunken
- Shawn Lerner - Owner of Zip-Flyer, LLC, creator of the largest zipline in the world, Las Vegas Slotzilla
- Blake Miller - Professional lacrosse player
- Nicholas Kraus - Founder of Wounded Warrior project
- Leigh H. Perkins - Purchased The Orvis Co., Inc. in 1965 and built it into a significant presence.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Forman School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Financing a boarding school education can be very confusing for many parents. Here are some strategies to help you understand your options.