5.00 (6 reviews)
12 Norfolk Road, P.O. Box 80
Litchfield, CT 06759
Litchfield, CT 06759
Forman offers a traditional college preparatory program that balances academics with athletics, arts, clubs and other extracurricular activities.
The academic program at Forman School offers a college preparatory curriculum under the auspices of the Forman Institute for Cognition and Learning. Courses including metacognitive strategies, thinking and writing, executive function coaching, and perspectives in learning enable students to understand how they learn and develop strategies and self advocacy skills for success in college and beyond.
The Science Center opened in September 2013. The 9000 square foot building includes four state-of-the-art labs, a large commons area with the latest technology and small math classrooms. Outside is a Raingarden that features a vernal pond and indigenous plantings used as a living lab by ecology classes.
Students participate throughout the year in Forman?'s after-class program. Activities range from competitive sports to boatbuilding to theater arts. FALL - football, soccer, cross country, volleyball, rock climbing, boat building, theater WINTER - ice hockey, basketball, wrestling, coed alpine racing, dance, fitness, boatbuilding, theater SPRING - lacrosse, tennis, baseball, crew, golf, ultimate frisbee, whitewater kayaking, equestrian, theater
This Music Program at Forman is designed for musicians of all levels; specifically, those who want to develop their talent while having fun learning and playing music in a band. We focus on learning parts, understanding the basic language of music, playing together, improvising, and individual technique.
The Outdoor Leadership Program allows students to explore and challenge themselves in multiple areas of our 100+ acre campus and the surrounding rivers and mountains of Northwest Connecticut.
The Theater Program offers two years of acting training, half-year classes in improvisation and public speaking and a technical theater class. Auditions for co-curricular productions are open to all students. Plays are presented at the end of each sports season; a musical is mounted each winter. For a list of performances see: www.formanschool.org/arts/performing-arts
- Based on his or her unique learning profile, Forman develops the whole student so that every graduate becomes an educated, confident, self-advocate throughout life.
- Founded in 1930, on the belief that many gifted students were not being adequately served by traditional teaching methods, the founders tapped Albert Einstein and Sam Orton as board members for their knowledge in the emerging fields of neuroscience and dyslexia.
- The School serves over 200 students from 24 states and 15 countries and has a 100 percent college acceptance rate.
- In addition to our year round program, we offer a 4-week summer school that serves students entering grades 7 -11.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- purdue university The school felt like home. I know everyone and I know it sounds cliche but it was it was my home away from home. I had dorm parents who I respected like parent. They took. . .
- Clarkson University There are two specific things that make Forman unique. The first being the location of the school. The second benign the immense about of different programs and extracurricular star Forman had to offer. . .
- Bryant University Forman was a transformative experience for me, both in terms of my education and my personal development. Also, Forman's small size, quaint campus and close-nit community made warming up to a new place and people. . .
- New England college I felt the school made me feel like I still had family there that cared about me even though it was my immediate family I have acquired some great friends and relationships . The teaching. . .
- Parsons School of Design Forman School is a unique school as it specializes in students that have some form of learning disability. With one on one classes and individual support students have the full support of the faculty and. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Forman School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||125 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||218 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(blazer, khaki pants)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:4||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||3||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$8 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||18500||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Duncan Marshall '67|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Wayne Clarke|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Sailing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||23|
|Extracurriculars||Community Service Club, Jazz Club, Model UN, National Honor Society, Outdoor Leadership, Over 25 student-run clubs, Rock and Blues Band, Student Government, Student Leader Program, Theater Arts, Tour Guide Program, Yearbook|
- The Forman School is a coed, college preparatory boarding school for bright students in grades 9-PG, with diagnosed language-based learning differences, such as dyslexia, dysgraphia, dyscalculia, executive functioning, ADD, ADHD.
- We employ state-of-the-art assistive technology that both supports and empowers our students.
- Each student works with specially trained teachers to study metacognitive skills, multisensory reading, thinking and writing, and executive function coaching// Tutors are available every evening for help with homework and reinforcement of learning skills and content from class.
- All Forman students are guided through a college preparatory curriculum and the school has a 100% college acceptance rate
- Our extensive visual/performing arts programs, as well as 23 competitive/non-competitive athletic offerings give students an opportunity to explore new and existing areas of interest.
- The School offers a number of hands-on, experiential learning opportunities such as travel/study Winterim program, boat building, sign language, rock & jazz band, videography & photography, and the Costa Rican Rain Forest project.
- Litchfield is a small, rural town located in the hills of northwestern Connecticut, two hours from New York and two and a half hours from Boston.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia/Language based LD
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Submit Review for Forman School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.