Loomis Chaffee Photo #3 - Loomis athletes are defined as much by their character as they are by their talent, and the result is a highly successful and widely respected athletics program, and a great source of pride and school spirit for the entire Loomis community.
Loomis Chaffee is one of the nation's leading boarding schools with a long history of supporting excellence in its students from all over the country and around the world in grades 9-12.
The mission of The Loomis Chaffee School is to advance the development of students in mind, body, and spirit through rigorous academic programs, an inclusive community, and an emphasis on engaged citizenship. The school, as its Founders intended, seeks to inspire in its students a commitment to the best self and the common good.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University Approachable teachers and staff, overwhelming pride in the school from everyone on campus. Close relationship of day students and boarding students. Post graduate students integrated very well into the senior class. . .
- Hamilton College The close-knit campus. The fact that the campus was small (or at least the buildings being so close together) made everyone close like a family. It made my transition from my class with a graduation. . .
- New York University The location of the school definitely shaped the school dynamic of Loomis. It isn’t necessarily isolated but it’s formed in a very large location of its own. As a result, Loomis is very secure for. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Loomis Chaffee||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Campus Size||300 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||725 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no jeans )
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||60||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$8,750|
(Loomis Chaffee offers a five-week enrichment program, two-week immersion programs, and a math academy. Tuition rates vary for the programs. For more information please visit https://www.loomischaffee.org/summer/about/tuition.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$216.3 million||$24 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Nancy Cleary|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||30||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Agricultural Proctors, Christian Fellowship Club, Darwin Club (outdoor club), Debate Society, Environmental Action Group, Environmental Proctors, Jewish Student Union, Literary Magazine (The Loom), Math Team, Model UN, Peer Counselors, Pelican Service Organization, Pelican Support Network (PSN - peer mentors), PRISM (Multiculutural Student Organization), Robotics Team, Science Team, Shultz Fellows (political discussion group), Spectrum (LGBTQ Organization), Student Council, Student Newspaper (The Log), Yearbook Club (The Confluence)
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappellicans, Chamber Music, Chamber Singers, Chorus, Guitar Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Musical Revue, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble
|Year: 2013 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University (NYU)||31|
|Bowdoin College and Middlebury College||16|
|University of Chicago||16|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Loomis Chaffee accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- George P. Shultz '38 - Former Secretary of State
- Ella T. Grasso '36 - Former Governor of Connecticut
- Diana Farrell '83 - Founding president and chief executive officer of the JPMorgan Chase Institute
- Henry R. Kravis '63 - Co-founder, co-chairman, co-CEO KKR
- James Widdoes '72 - Actor, writer, director, and producer
- Betty Gilpin '04 - Emmy-nominated television (GLOW), film, and stage acctress.
- Nana Mensah '01 - actress, writer, singer, and director
- David Edelstein '77 - Film critic for New York magazine and for National Public Radio’s Fresh Air
- Jason Wu '01 - Fashion designer (designed First Lady Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gowns and other pieces for the first lady)
- Frank Bruni ’82 - Author, journalist, The New York Times and the New York Times Magazine
- Submit Review for Loomis Chaffee
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Are you thinking about sending your daughter off to boarding school? Go for it!
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.