Loomis Chaffee Photo #2 - Collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and communication - four competencies in which all Loomis students become skilled practitioners.
Loomis Chaffee Photo #3 - Loomis athletes are defined as much by their character as they are by their talent, and the result is a highly successful and widely respected athletics program, and a great source of pride and school spirit for the entire Loomis community.
- Loomis Chaffee is one of the nation's leading boarding schools with a long history of supporting excellence in its students from all over the country and around the world in grades 9-12.
- The mission of The Loomis Chaffee School is to advance the development in spirit, mind and body of boys and girls drawn from diverse cultural and social backgrounds and to inspire in them a commitment to the best self and the common good.
- The goal of the school`s academic program is the formation of skilled and discerning minds in preparation for higher education and lifelong learning.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- New York University The location of the school definitely shaped the school dynamic of Loomis. It isn’t necessarily isolated but it’s formed in a very large location of its own. As a result, Loomis is very secure for. . .
- NYU The harkness table style of teaching is super effective! It helps facilitate peer learning. The work jobs at the school are unique to Loomis and help teach responsibility throughout the student body. . .
- Brown University The unique community feel is certainly special. As an arriving senior, it was tough to get acclimated to a place that people had been at for four years. Some other boarding schools I looked at. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Loomis Chaffee||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||300 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||690 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1320||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1230 - 1390||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no jeans )
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||60||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$203 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$42,361||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Lynn Petrillo|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Nancy Cleary (Director of FA)|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||31||24|
|Extracurriculars||Adult Education, Afro-Latino Exonian Society, Afterburners Club (rocketry), Archery, Asian Student Collective, Broadside, Building With Books, Catholic Exonians, Chinese Student Organization, CompSci, The Blue Buzz, The Courant, The Film Society, W.O.R.L.D., Women’s Forum|
Club or Organization:
A Cappella (Noxontones), Bocce Ball, California Youth and Government, Carnivals, Crop Walk, Frisbee Golf, Junior High Club, Literary Magazine Club (Flight Risk), Ping Pong, Plays, Senior Club, Set Design, Student Activities Comittee, The Living Poet's Society, The Middle Eastern Dance Club, The Noxontones (A Cappella group)
|Year: 2013 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University (NYU)||31|
|Bowdoin College and Middlebury College||16|
|University of Chicago||16|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The mission of The Loomis Chaffee School is to advance the development in spirit, mind and body of boys and girls drawn from diverse cultural and social backgrounds and to inspire in them a commitment to the best self and the common good. The goal of the school`s academic program is the formation of skilled and discerning minds in preparation for higher education and lifelong learning. Through its courses and community life, Loomis Chaffee also educates its students for service in the nation and in today's global civilization. In all things, the school aims to be, as its founders intended, "a shrine from which boys and girls shall take the highest inspirations for better and grander lives."
- Loomis Chaffee accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- George P. Shultz '38 - Former Secretary of State
- Ella T. Grasso '36 - Former Governor of Connecticut
- Diana Farrell '83 - Founding president and chief executive officer of the JPMorgan Chase Institute
- Henry R. Kravis '63 - Co-founder, co-chairman, co-CEO KKR
- James Widdoes '72 - Actor, writer, director, and producer
- Gretchen Ulion '90 - 1998 Winter Olympic Games US women's ice hockey Olympic gold medalist
- Nana Mensah '01 - actress, writer, singer, and director
- David Edelstein '77 - Film critic for New York magazine and for National Public Radio’s Fresh Air
- Jason Wu '01 - Fashion designer (designed First Lady Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gowns and other pieces for the first lady)
- Frank Bruni ’82 - Author, journalist, The New York Times and the New York Times Magazine
- Submit Review for Loomis Chaffee
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.