Collaboration, creativity, critical thinking, and communication - four competencies in which all Loomis students become skilled practitioners.
Loomis athletes are defined as much by their character as they are by their talent, and the result is a highly successful and widely respected athletics program, and a great source of pride and school spirit for the entire Loomis community.
- Loomis Chaffee is one of the nation's leading boarding schools with a long history of supporting excellence in its students from all over the country and around the world in grades 9-12.
- The mission of The Loomis Chaffee School is to advance the development in spirit, mind and body of boys and girls drawn from diverse cultural and social backgrounds and to inspire in them a commitment to the best self and the common good.
- The goal of the school`s academic program is the formation of skilled and discerning minds in preparation for higher education and lifelong learning.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Brown University The unique community feel is certainly special. As an arriving senior, it was tough to get acclimated to a place that people had been at for four years. Some other boarding schools I looked at. . .
- Villanova University Good balance between day students and boarders created a non isolated feeling to the campus. Overall feeling on campus was unified and together. Smaller school population is a reason for this.. . .
- Stonehill College The location of the school in Windsor, CT that was formed into basically an island. This provides some security and well as comfort for the students and faculty living on campus. The campus also was. . .
- Brown University The writing program was quite special. All sophomores had to take a Writing Workshop class where we were taught a particular way of enhancing our analytical skills with "interpretive sentences." We also had workjobs --. . .
- Mount Holyoke LC has a work job program and every term, you'll be assigned a new work job to carry out. You may end up cleaning the art building, or sweeping the dining hall-everyone does one because. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Loomis Chaffee||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||300 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||690 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1320||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1230 - 1390||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(no jeans )
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||60||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$203 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$42,361||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Lynn Petrillo|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Nancy Cleary (Director of FA)|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||31||23|
|Extracurriculars||Chinese Language & Culture Club, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Life, Community Service Club, Jewish Student Union, PRISM (Persons Rising in Support of Multiculturalism), Service Club, Student Activities, Student Council, The Book Club and Literary Society, The Confluence (yearbook), The Debate Society, The Log (Student Newspaper), The Loom, Theater|
Club or Organization:
A Capella, Animation Club, Chess Club, Dance Club, Darwin Club, Film Club, FIRST Robotics Team Paragon, Math Team, Project Green, Spectrum (Gay/Straight Alliance), The BBQ Club, The Living Poet's Society, The Loomis Chaffee Democratic Society, The Middle Eastern Dance Club, The Stock/Finance Club, Video Game Clu
|Year: 2013 - 2017||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University (NYU)||31|
|Bowdoin College and Middlebury College||16|
|University of Chicago||16|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The mission of The Loomis Chaffee School is to advance the development in spirit, mind and body of boys and girls drawn from diverse cultural and social backgrounds and to inspire in them a commitment to the best self and the common good. The goal of the school`s academic program is the formation of skilled and discerning minds in preparation for higher education and lifelong learning. Through its courses and community life, Loomis Chaffee also educates its students for service in the nation and in today's global civilization. In all things, the school aims to be, as its founders intended, "a shrine from which boys and girls shall take the highest inspirations for better and grander lives."
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- George P. Shultz '38 - Former Secretary of State
- Ella T. Grasso '36 - Former Governor of Connecticut
- Diana Farrell '83 - Founding president and chief executive officer of the JPMorgan Chase Institute
- Henry R. Kravis '63 - Co-founder, co-chairman, co-CEO KKR
- James Widdoes '72 - Actor, writer, director, and producer
- Gretchen Ulion '90 - 1998 Winter Olympic Games US women's ice hockey Olympic gold medalist
- Nana Mensah '01 - actress, writer, singer, and director
- David Edelstein '77 - Film critic for New York magazine and for National Public Radio’s Fresh Air
- Jason Wu '01 - Fashion designer (designed First Lady Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gowns and other pieces for the first lady)
- Frank Bruni ’82 - Author, journalist, The New York Times and the New York Times Magazine
- Submit Review for Loomis Chaffee
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 07, 2018
Because paying for boarding school involves so much money, it makes sense to look at all the options available to you.
January 12, 2018
December 22, 2017
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.