- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 741 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $65,350
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $49,670
- Acceptance rate: 18%
- Average class size: 11 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15
- Source: Verified school update
Loomis Chaffee ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 297 schools) for:
Academics and Faculty
AP / Advanced Courses
Agricultural Proctors, Brothers in Unity (affinity group for students identifying as black and male), Christian Fellowship Club, Darwin Club (outdoor club), Debate Society, Environmental Action Group, Environmental Proctors, Jewish Student Union, Literary Magazine (The Loom), Math Team, Model UN, MultiX (affinity group for students identifying as multiracial), Pa'lante (affinity group for students identifying as Latinx), PASA (Pan Asian Student Alliance), Peer Counselors, Pelican Service Organization, Pelican Support Network (PSN - peer mentors), PRISM (Multiculutural Student Organization), Robotics Team, Science Team, Shultz Fellows (political discussion group), Sisters' Circle (affinity group for students identifying as black and female), Spectrum (LGBTQ Organization), Student Council, Student Newspaper (The Log), Yearbook Club (The Confluence)
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappellicans, Chamber Music, Chamber Singers, Chorus, Guitar Ensemble, Jazz Ensemble, Musical Revue, Orchestra, Wind Ensemble
- Loomis Chaffee accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- George P. Shultz '38 - Former Secretary of State
- Ella T. Grasso '36 - Former Governor of Connecticut
- Diana Farrell '83 - Founding president and chief executive officer of the JPMorgan Chase Institute
- Henry R. Kravis '63 - Co-founder, co-chairman, co-CEO KKR
- James Widdoes '72 - Actor, writer, director, and producer
- Betty Gilpin '04 - Emmy-nominated television (GLOW), film, and stage acctress.
- Nana Mensah '01 - actress, writer, singer, and director
- David Edelstein '77 - Film critic for New York magazine and for National Public Radio’s Fresh Air
- Jason Wu '01 - Fashion designer (designed First Lady Michelle Obama's inaugural ball gowns and other pieces for the first lady)
- Frank Bruni ’82 - Author, journalist, The New York Times and the New York Times Magazine
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Loomis Chaffee cost?
Loomis Chaffee's tuition is approximately $65,350 for boarding students and $49,670 for day students.
What schools are Loomis Chaffee often compared to?
What is the acceptance rate of Loomis Chaffee?
The acceptance rate of Loomis Chaffee is 18%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%. Loomis Chaffee's acceptance rate is ranked as one of the top boarding schools with low acceptance rates.
Who are famous alumni from Loomis Chaffee?
Loomis Chaffee famous alumni include: George P. Shultz '38, Ella T. Grasso '36, Diana Farrell '83, Henry R. Kravis '63, James Widdoes '72, Betty Gilpin '04, Nana Mensah '01, David Edelstein '77, Jason Wu '01 and Frank Bruni ’82.
What sports does Loomis Chaffee offer?
Loomis Chaffee offers 18 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball and Water Polo.
Does Loomis Chaffee offer a summer program?
Yes, Loomis Chaffee offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What is Loomis Chaffee's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Loomis Chaffee?
The application deadline for Loomis Chaffee is Jan. 15.
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2018
Class of 2018
Class of 2018
New York University