Most Selective Boarding Schools
- Among "All-Boys Schools", view the boarding schools with the lowest acceptance rates (2018-19).
- Acceptance rates listed below reflect the average rate of acceptance for all applicants (boarding and day applicants) in the previous year.
- Keep in mind that acceptance rates may be lower or higher than the average acceptance rate depending on: what grade you are applying for, whether you are a boarding applicant or day student applicant, and the time of year you are applying.
- Schools typically have the most openings for freshmen and sophomores (many schools do not accept incoming seniors), so applying for entrance into 9th or 10th grade may improve your chances of admission.
- Acceptance rates between boarding applicants and day student applicants may differ (i.e., schools in certain areas may a higher ratio of day student applicants to day student openings, versus boarding applicants to boarding openings; the acceptance rate of some schools will actually be lower for day applicants and higher for boarding applicants).
- Many, but not all, schools will accept applications after application deadlines, but admission generally becomes more difficult.
Trinity-Pawling School Photo - We teach our art classes in a step-by-step manner-how to match pitch, to throw a pot, to draw a line. Even if you think you're not artistic, you'll build on these skills over time so you can develop your own creativity and awaken the artist in you.
Riverside Military Academy Photo - Riverside Military Academy cadet officers stand at attention during a parade on Maginnis Field.
Avon Old Farms School Photo - Our 860 acre campus is comprised of breathtaking panoramic vistas; rustic hiking trails; a serene pond for swimming and fishing; and abundant seasonal foliage.
Eaglebrook School Photo - Eaglebrook School teaches middle school boys the skills they will need for the rest of their lives. Learn more about our Core Skills at https://www.eaglebrook.org/coreskills.
Blue Ridge School Photo - Our lake offers students a chance to relax, fish, canoe - in the center of campus.
Fork Union Military Academy Photo - The cadets in parade formation. The first full dress parade of the year begins usually at the end of April and is on Sunday.
Chaminade College Preparatory School Photo - Chaminade's student to teacher ratio is 10:1, with an average class size of 17 students.
The Woodhall School Photo - The Woodhall School is located in rural Bethlehem, CT on approximately twenty-five acres of woodlands and trails for hiking and biking. The campus is designed to enhance The Woodhall School`s individual approach. The academic and residential areas are architecturally conceived as a small village.
Lowest Acceptance Rates (2018-19)
Among All-Boys Schools (out of 28 schools)
Sorted by range (alphabetically within range)
- Boarding School Acceptance Rate Grades Location
14 Greenwood Lane
Putney, VT 05346
58 Harrison Lane
Bethlehem, CT 06751
- 9.-13. 60%-70%
500 Christ School Road
Asheville, NC 28704
Grades: 9-12, PG
1888 Brett Lane
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Grades: 8-12, PG | 7-12, PG (day)
700 Route 22
Pawling, NY 12564
62 Alumni Drive
Canaan, NH 03741
425 South Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63131
Grades: 8-12, PG
3042 College St.
Austinburg, OH 44010
404 Robin Hill Street
Marlborough, MA 01752
Grades: 7-12, PG
320 Iwo Jima Blvd
Harlingen, TX 78550
22520 Mount Michael Road
Elkhorn, NE 68022
Grades: 4-8 | K-8 (day)
215 N. Harbor Blvd.
Anaheim, CA 92805
4129 Lake Shore Road
Hamburg, NY 14075
Grades: 8-12, PG
45 Cottage Road
Oakdale, CT 06370
Top School Listings by Category (2018-19)
Learn why more and more students are choosing to do a gap or post graduate (PG) year at boarding school.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.