Army and Navy Academy
Army & Navy Academy is a College Preparatory Boarding & Day School that prepares boys in Grades 7-12 for success in college and far beyond. For over a century, the Academy`s emphasis on responsibility, accountability, and motivation has provided a life-changing experience for young men.
Located on a beachfront campus in the safe quaint village of Carlsbad, California, the campus is at the northern tip of San Diego County.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UCSD The Army and Navy Academy is unique in the fact that JROTC in a mandatory component of education. This makes for a solid foundation on which the school's main principle of character development is based. . .
- Arizona State University The Army Navy Academy provided a uniquely structured environment where the self limiting influences of public school are removed so that each individual can rise to their ability. I quickly shed my fear of. . .
- Claytion College of Natural Health Vast majority of students attend because they want to be there, not as a "reform school" where parents "ditch" them.Outstanding male roll models who show deserved respect and award scholastic and disciplinary achievements. . .
Top 5 Placements
Military Schools All-Boys Schools
Army and Navy Academy is listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 15 military schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Army and Navy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||16 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Tuition international students||$42,800||$53,975|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Darrin Knox|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Victor Traycey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP European History, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. Government, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Anti-Bullying, ASB, Astronomy, Aviation, California Scholarship Federation, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Computer Science, Forensics Club, Garden Club, Harvard Model Congress, International Club, Key Club, Letterman's Club, Multi-Cultural Club, National Honor Society, Peer counseling, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
ANA TV Production, Band & Jazz Club, Marching Band, Music Composition on MAC, Photography
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Strength & Conditioning, Surf Team, Weightlifting
|Year: 2009 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Los Angeles||8|
|United States Military Academy at West Point||7|
|University of California, San Diego||6|
|University of California, Davis||5|
|Penn State University||4|
|University of California, Santa Barbara||4|
|University of California, Berkeley||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
Long respected as one of the top private military schools in the United States, the Academy attracts students from all over the U.S. and abroad. As a Gurian Model School, the single-gender focus on how boys learn, engage, and become motivated sets the Academy apart.The Academy offers a highly structured daily schedule, incorporating U.C. standard-based academics, after-school tutorial, varsity and junior varsity sports, mandatory study time, relaxation time, and healthy dining. Interactive lessons, small class sizes, personal attention, and formal leadership training motivate each student to reach his full potential. This combination - leadership education, a college-prep curriculum, and the commitment to teaching in the ways that boys learn best - all add up to create The Warrior Experience.Academics
- Our teachers are trained in single-gender teaching techniques. They know and understand the ways that boys learn best so that students stay engaged in the classroom.
- The student-teacher ratio is 15:1 allowing for personalized instruction and attention that few other schools can match.
- Our College Counseling Office and U.C. Standard-based curriculum prepares our students for success after high school, whether at a college/university, military service academy, or other choices.
- Electives include: Aviation, Yearbook, ESOL, Learning Strategies, Visual and Performing Arts, and much more.
- AP and Honors Courses are taught by dedicated faculty experts.
- Most of our graduates attend universities, including: University of California campuses, NYU, Cornell, Columbia, Rutgers, Johns Hopkins, Boston College, Texas A & M, Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University and many others. Some graduates elect to attend ROTC universities and the Academy has a strong repuation for maticulation to top military service academies.
- Alumni are leaders in business, law, medicine, government, technology, the arts and the military.
- CIF-sanctioned sports and team sport options include: football, basketball, cross country, wrestling, surfing, golf, tennis, and more.
- Physical activity is key to health and an important part of the daily schedule. Cadets participate in a team sport or physical training each day after classes end.
- Our state-of-the-art Duffield Sports Complex is one of the most impressive athletic facilities in the San Diego area.
- Our award-winning Honor Unit with Distinction JROTC program gives the Academy the privilege of nominating Cadets directly to each of the U.S. service academies, including United States Military Academy at West Point and the United States Naval Academy at Annapolis.
- Our curriculum emphasizes self-discipline, teamwork, responsibility, accountability, time management, and leadership training.
- Coastal North San Diego County
- Near Shops, Restaurants, and Hotels
- Rapid Transit, Trains, and Airports Nearbly
- Beachfront Campus on over 16 acres
- Historic mission-style architecture
- Master Plan in progress
- LD types supported: IEP or 504 required
- Army and Navy Academy accreditations: California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Army and Navy Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.