Army and Navy Academy
- Educating Tomorrow's Leaders: Young Men, Grades 7-12. For over a century, the Academy`s emphasis on responsibility, accountability, and motivation has provided a life-changing experience for young men.
- Located on an oceanfront campus in Carlsbad, California, Army and Navy Academy is a college preparatory boarding school for boys, grades 7-12.
- Long respected as one of the top military schools in the United States, the Academy attracts students from over 14 states and 18 different countries. The single-gender focus on how boys learn, engage, and become motivated sets the Academy apart.
- The Academy offers a highly structured daily schedule, incorporating U.C. standard-based academics, after-school tutorial, CIF sports, mandatory study time, relaxation time, and inspections.
- Interactive lessons, small class sizes, personal attention, and formal leadership training motivate each Cadet to reach his full potential. This combination - leadership education, a college-prep curriculum, and the commitment to teaching in the ways that boys learn best - all add up to create The Warrior Experience.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UCSD The Army and Navy Academy is unique in the fact that JROTC in a mandatory component of education. This makes for a solid foundation on which the school's main principle of character development is based. . .
- Arizona State University The Army Navy Academy provided a uniquely structured environment where the self limiting influences of public school are removed so that each individual can rise to their ability. I quickly shed my fear of. . .
- Claytion College of Natural Health Vast majority of students attend because they want to be there, not as a "reform school" where parents "ditch" them.Outstanding male roll models who show deserved respect and award scholastic and disciplinary achievements. . .
Top 5 Placements
Army and Navy Academy is listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 16 military schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Army and Navy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||16 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Darrin Knox|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Victor Traycey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Microeconomics, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. Government, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Anti-Bullying, ASB, Astronomy, Aviation, Beta Club, Business Club, Cades for Christ, California Scholarship Federation, Comedy Club, Community Service Club, Computer Science, Dance Crew, FOCUS Group, Harvard Model Congress, Key Club, Letterman's Club, National Honor Society, Peer counseling, The Papyrus (School Newspaper), Travis Manion Foundation, Volunteer Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
ANA TV Production, Echo - Senior Washtub Singing Group, Flute Choir, Navajo Hogan Project, Photography
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Latin Honor Society, Marshals, Scuba Club, Strength & Conditioning, Surf Team
|Year: 2009 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Los Angeles||8|
|United States Military Academy at West Point||7|
|University of California San Diego||6|
|University of California Davis||5|
|Penn State University||4|
|University of California Santa Barbara||4|
|University of Southern California||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Army and Navy Academy is a college-preparatory boarding school for boys in grades 7-12 with a focus on academics, athletics, and leadership training.
- Our teachers are trained in single-gender teaching techniques. They know and understand the ways that boys learn best so that students stay engaged in the classroom.
- The student-teacher ratio is 15:1 allowing for personalized instruction and attention that few other schools can match. Our College Counseling Office and U.C. Standard-based curriculum prepares our Cadets for success after high school, whether at a college/university or a military service academy.
- With over 6,000 Alumni worldwide, our Alumni network is an amazing community of leaders in business, law, medicine, government, and the military.
- With 12 varsity CIF-sanctioned sports and fun club sport options such as surfing and Crossfit, there's an athletic team to fit every Cadet's interests.
- Physical activity is key to health and an important part of the daily schedule. Cadets participate in a team sport or physical training each day after classes end.
- Our state-of-the-art Duffield Sports Complex is one of the most impressive athletic facilities in the San Diego area.
- Our award-winning Honor Unit with Distinction JROTC program gives the Academy the privilege of nominating Cadets directly to each of the U.S. service academies, including West Point and the Naval Academy at Annapolis.
- Our curriculum emphasizes self-discipline, teamwork, responsibility, accountability, time management, and leadership training.
- With rich traditions dating back to our foundation in 1910, the Academy is proudly known as one of the premier military boarding schools in the country.
- LD types supported: IEP or 504 required
- Army and Navy Academy accreditations: California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Army and Navy Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.