Army and Navy Academy
A military boarding school education prepares a student for college and life beyond in a way that other types of schools are unable to match. Graduates are equipped with the skills to be leaders in their community with strong abilities in self-discipline, organization, teamwork, and good citizenship. They are truly equipped with the tools for success.
Excellence in academics stems from passionate teachers, a challenging curriculum, a motivating and structured learning environment, and positive role models. Our Faculty members are Gurian Institute-trained to use teaching methods that work specifically for boys. This includes interactive lessons, lots of movement, team-building exercises, and more.
Athletics are a major part of the Warrior Experience. All of our students either participate in an organized sport or undergo physical training each sports season. With fifteen Varsity sports, plus JV and Club options, there's something for everyone. This keeps students healthy, active, and focused on teamwork.
Of course, one of the major highlights of the school year is graduation. Seniors proudly wear their formal uniforms, and prepare for life after ANA. As a college preparatory boarding school, our graduates go on to exciting endeavors at highly regarded colleges. Their leadership and academic experience at the Academy prepares them for success no matter where they go next.
Our oceanfront campus is a major draw. Located in sunny San Diego, California, our school offers private beach access. We're the only military school in the country with a surf team! There's nothing like relaxing at the beach after a long day of classes.
- Educating Tomorrow's Leaders: Young Men, Grades 7-12. For over a century, the Academy`s emphasis on responsibility, accountability, and motivation has provided a life-changing experience for young men.
- Located on an oceanfront campus in Carlsbad, California, Army and Navy Academy is a college preparatory boarding school for boys, grades 7-12.
- Long respected as one of the top military schools in the United States, the Academy attracts students from over 14 states and 18 different countries. The single-gender focus on how boys learn, engage, and become motivated sets the Academy apart.
- The Academy offers a highly structured daily schedule, incorporating U.C. standard-based academics, after-school tutorial, CIF sports, mandatory study time, relaxation time, and inspections.
- Interactive lessons, small class sizes, personal attention, and formal leadership training motivate each Cadet to reach his full potential. This combination - leadership education, a college-prep curriculum, and the commitment to teaching in the ways that boys learn best - all add up to create The Warrior Experience.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- UCSD The Army and Navy Academy is unique in the fact that JROTC in a mandatory component of education. This makes for a solid foundation on which the school's main principle of character development is based. . .
- Arizona State University The Army Navy Academy provided a uniquely structured environment where the self limiting influences of public school are removed so that each individual can rise to their ability. I quickly shed my fear of. . .
- Claytion College of Natural Health Vast majority of students attend because they want to be there, not as a "reform school" where parents "ditch" them.Outstanding male roll models who show deserved respect and award scholastic and disciplinary achievements. . .
- Portland Community College The Army Navy Academy campus is a college preparatory school for boys ages 11 to 18 years of age, both Summer regular School schedules available. A small yet honorable and highly respected boarding. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Army and Navy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||16 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Candace Heidenrich|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Brian Frink|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP European History, AP Physics, AP Physics 1, AP Physics C, AP Spanish, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History, AP United States Government and Politics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Diving, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Surf Team, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Water Polo, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||23|
Club or Organization:
Adjutant, Anti-Bullying, ASB, Astronomy Club, Beta Club, Business Club, Cadets, California, Chess Club, Comedy, Community, Computer Club, Elements of Flight, Forensics Club, Games Club, Harvard Model Congress, Honor, Interact Club, Key, Model, Multi-Cultural, National, Peer, SCUBA Club, Travis
Arts and Music Programs:
ANA TV Production, Choir, Drawing and Painting, Marching Band, Music Composition on MAC, Pep, Performing Arts, Photography
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Crossfit, Strength, Surfing, Weightlifting
|Year: 2009 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Los Angeles||8|
|United States Military Academy at West Point||7|
|University of California San Diego||6|
|University of California Davis||5|
|Penn State University||4|
|University of California Santa Barbara||4|
|University of Southern California||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Army and Navy Academy is a college-preparatory boarding school for boys in grades 7-12 with a focus on academics, athletics, and leadership training.
- Our teachers are trained in single-gender teaching techniques. They know and understand the ways that boys learn best so that students stay engaged in the classroom.
- The student-teacher ratio is 15:1 allowing for personalized instruction and attention that few other schools can match. Our College Counseling Office and U.C. Standard-based curriculum prepares our Cadets for success after high school, whether at a college/university or a military service academy.
- With over 6,000 Alumni worldwide, our Alumni network is an amazing community of leaders in business, law, medicine, government, and the military.
- With 12 varsity CIF-sanctioned sports and fun club sport options such as surfing and Crossfit, there's an athletic team to fit every Cadet's interests.
- Physical activity is key to health and an important part of the daily schedule. Cadets participate in a team sport or physical training each day after classes end.
- Our state-of-the-art Duffield Sports Complex is one of the most impressive athletic facilities in the San Diego area.
- Our award-winning Honor Unit with Distinction JROTC program gives the Academy the privilege of nominating Cadets directly to each of the U.S. service academies, including West Point and the Naval Academy at Annapolis.
- Our curriculum emphasizes self-discipline, teamwork, responsibility, accountability, time management, and leadership training.
- With rich traditions dating back to our foundation in 1910, the Academy is proudly known as one of the premier military boarding schools in the country.
- LD types supported: IEP or 504 required
- School accreditations: California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC)
- Submit Review for Army and Navy Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
April 20, 2018
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
March 22, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.