New Mexico Military Institute
The Centennial Flame honoring all NMMI alumnae past and present burns brightly to underscore the Institute motto: Duty, Honor, Achievement.
- New Mexico Military Institute is the nation's only State-supported, fully integrated nationally accredited co-educational college preparatory military boarding school for grades 9 - 12 and university parallel military junior college.
- Academic excellence, leadership and character development, and physical fitness are the focus of the NMMI experience for all cadets under the motto: "Duty, Honor, Achievement." An embedded US Service Academy Preparatory Program continues to produce outstanding nominees for the 5 Service Academies.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- New Mexico Military Institute New Mexico Military Institute (NMMI) is one of the few schools that is Army based, High School and Junior College, as well as Early Commissioning Program (ECP) Senior Reserved Officers Training Corps (SROTC). As a. . .
- Texas Tech University First of all, this is a military boarding school. Military discipline is strictly enforced throughout the year and uniforms are worn daily. Every building on campus has the same architecture and this really creates a. . .
- Colorado school of mines The military environment supported rigorous academics as well as athletics and active extracurricular activities. Its location in the American Southwest provides a unique experience from traditional boarding schools back east.. . .
- New Mexico Military Institute One aspect of New Mexico Military Institute that makes it unique is the way it is run. It is run by a cadet chain of command which is set up just like the military. First. . .
- Eastern New Mexico Unversity The military environment is very conducive to scholastics and athletic excellence. . .
Top 20 Placements
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 326 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Boarding Focus High percentage of boarding students
- Diversity High percentage of students of color
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
- Affordability High percentage of students on financial aid
- Faculty Education High percent faculty with advanced degrees
- Offering Breadth High # of AP/advanced courses offered
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|New Mexico Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||300 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||871 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||23||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(All students wear a military uniform in class.)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||209||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$45 million||$18 million|
(19,854.00 North American Rate)
|Tuition international students||$22,858||$48,100|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$3,000|
(Automatic consideration for admitted students.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Mar. 1 / Jul. 10 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||50%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Kalith Smith|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||209||17|
|Courses||Students are eligible to dual enroll in college courses.|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Cycling, Drill Team, Fencing, Football, Golf, Marksmanship, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||45||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
African American Student Alliance, Astronomy Club, Athletic Trainer, Big/Little Siblings, Centennial Flame Guard, Chess Club, CLOSE UP, Color Guard, Constabulary, Etiquette Committee, Goss Rifle Team, HAM Radio Club, HOSTS Program (Community Service), Information Technology Club, Mc Bride Rifle Team (Air Rifle), Mexican Club, National German Honor Society, National Honor Society, Pacific Islander Club, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Pre-Medical Club, Ski Club, Speech & Debate, SPIRIT Club, USAFA Falcon Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Bronco Yearbook, Choir, Chorus, Drama Club, Jazz Club, Math & Science Club, Peer Tutoring, Photo Squad, Regimental Band, Shakespeare Festival
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Bataan Memorial March - SROTC, Fencing Club, First Tee Program of the PGA, High & Low Ropes Course, Martial Art/Self Defense, Paintball, Racquetball, Swimming Club, Weightlifting Club, Yoga Club
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Established in 1891, NMMI is the only State-supported co-educational college preparatory military boarding high school (grades 9-12)and junior college in the nation. Directed by the Enabling Act of the State of New Mexico to "provide military education and training for the youth of the country," NMMI is nationally recognized for its outstanding academic, leadership and character development, and physical fitness programs. NMMI is a Land Grant institution which enables the school to provide a high quality education for an affordable price, and awards over $2M in endowed scholarships annually with Federal Financial Aid available at the college level. As of 2015, our student body comes to NMMI from 40 states and 33 foreign countries. Approximately 98% of our students go on to college. Many go on to elite colleges across the country. As of 2015, our student to faculty ratio is approximately 10:1 with 23% of our tenure track faculty holding terminal degrees in their field and 89% holding Master's degrees. At NMMI high school students can take college courses from college professors that transfer for college credit to colleges across the country. NMMI's alumni excel at the local, state, national, and international levels, and include such notables as: Conrad Hilton, Sam Donaldson, ABC News, Chuck Roberts, CNN Senior News Anchor, Owen Wilson, Actor and Academy Award Nominee, John "Red" Morgan, Medal of Honor Recipient, 23 General and Flag officers of the Military Services, including former Presidential Advisor LTG Gordon Sumner and Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, VADM Patrick Hannafin, and numerous CEOs and executive of large corporations. The NMMI Corps of Cadets administers and enforces the Cadet Honor System based upon the Cadet Honor Code established in 1921 by unanimous vote of the Corps of Cadets. The Cadet Honor Code states; "a cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do." NMMI is fully accredited by AdvancEd at the High School level and by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools at the college level. School Memberships: Association of Military Colleges and Schools of the United States (AMCSUS); New Mexico Department of Higher Education. The NMMI 300-acre campus, 21 major buildings, parade field, playing and practice fields, and golf course, is designated a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
- NMMI cadets consistently perform better than the national and state averages on the ACT, and taking the ACT is a graduation requirement for all NMMI high school seniors with the test scores submitted to the university of their choice. NMMI cadets may also take the SAT for submission to those universities that require the test for admission. NMMI offers an ACT/SAT preparation program each semester.
- School accreditations: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; Association of Military Schools and Colleges of the United States;
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Conrad Hilton - Founder Hilton Hotels
- Roger Staubach - US Naval Academy Graduate, NFL Football Hall of Fame, Heisman Trophy Winner
- Victor Lowndes - Co-founder Playboy Enterprises
- Anthony Principi - former Secretary of Veterans Affairs, US Naval Academy Graduate
- Honorable Frank White - former governor of Arkansas
- Bill Daniels - Daniels Foundation, father of cable TV in America
- Austin Cushman - former CEO Sears
- Owen Wilson - Writer/Producer/Actor, Academy Award Nominee
- Norm Brinker - former CEO Pillsbury, CEO/Owner Chili's
- LTG Gordon Sumner, USA Ret - Presidential Advisor, US Army General Officer
- Submit Review for New Mexico Military Institute
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 1038.9 miles294 Lustre Road
Lustre, MT 59225
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.