New Mexico Military Institute
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 871 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $23,218
- Acceptance rate: 85%
- Average class size: 15 students
- Application Deadline: Jul. 25 / Dec. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
New Mexico Military Institute ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 298 schools) for:
Academics and Faculty
All students wear a military uniform in class.
($23,218 North American Rate)
(Automatic consideration for admitted students.)
AP / Advanced Courses
African American Student Alliance, Astronomy Club, Athletic Trainer, Big/Little Siblings, Chess Club, Dance Fitness: Hip-hop, tap, musical theatre, Disciplinary Committee, Honors Council, International Student Association, K2K (kid to kid tutoring), Mc Bride Rifle Team (Air Rifle), Mexican Club, National German Honor Society, National Honor Society, Pacific Islander Club, Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, Pre-Medical Club, PRINTS: People Recognizing Injustices in Need of Thoughtful Solutions, Riding, Ski Club, Speech & Debate, SPIRIT Club, Spiritual Life: AGAPE and Kesher, Strength and Conditioning, USAFA Falcon Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Dana Canvas, Dana Hall School of Music: instrumental lessons, iSafe, Jazz Club, Math & Science Club, Peer Tutoring, Photo Squad, Regimental Band, Shakespeare Festival, Wilderness Program
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Bataan Memorial March - SROTC, Life Guarding Certification, Martial Art/Self Defense, Paintball, Peer Education, Racquetball, Self Defense, Swimming Club, Weightlifting Club, Yoga Club
- Established in 1891, NMMI is the only State-supported co-educational college preparatory military boarding high school (grades 9-12) and junior college in the nation. Directed by the Enabling Act of the State of New Mexico to "provide military education and training for the youth of the country," NMMI is nationally recognized for its outstanding academic, leadership and character development, and physical fitness programs. NMMI is a Land Grant institution which enables the school to provide a high quality education for an affordable price, and awards over $2M in endowed scholarships annually with Federal Financial Aid available at the college level. As of 2022, our student body comes to NMMI from 45 states and 37 foreign countries. Approximately 98% of our students go on to college. Many go on to elite colleges across the country. As of 2022, our student to faculty ratio is approximately 15:1 with 23% of our tenure track faculty holding terminal degrees in their field and 89% holding Master's degrees. At NMMI high school students can take college courses from college professors that transfer for college credit to colleges across the country. NMMI's alumni excel at the local, state, national, and international levels, and include such notables as: Conrad Hilton, Sam Donaldson, ABC News, Chuck Roberts, CNN Senior News Anchor, Owen Wilson, Actor and Academy Award Nominee, John "Red" Morgan, Medal of Honor Recipient, 23 General and Flag officers of the Military Services, including former Presidential Advisor LTG Gordon Sumner and Director of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, VADM Patrick Hannafin, and numerous CEOs and executive of large corporations. The NMMI Corps of Cadets administers and enforces the Cadet Honor System based upon the Cadet Honor Code established in 1921 by unanimous vote of the Corps of Cadets. The Cadet Honor Code states; "a cadet will not lie, cheat, or steal, nor tolerate those who do." NMMI is fully accredited by AdvancEd at the High School level and by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools at the college level. School Memberships: Association of Military Colleges and Schools of the United States (AMCSUS); New Mexico Department of Higher Education. The NMMI 300-acre campus, 21 major buildings, parade field, playing and practice fields, and golf course, is designated a historic district on the National Register of Historic Places.
- NMMI cadets consistently perform better than the national and state averages on the ACT, and taking the ACT is a graduation requirement for all NMMI high school seniors with the test scores submitted to the university of their choice. NMMI cadets may also take the SAT for submission to those universities that require the test for admission. NMMI offers an ACT/SAT preparation program each semester.
- New Mexico Military Institute accreditations: North Central Association of Colleges and Schools; Association of Military Schools and Colleges of the United States;
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Conrad Hilton - Founder Hilton Hotels
- Roger Staubach - US Naval Academy Graduate, NFL Football Hall of Fame, Heisman Trophy Winner
- Victor Lowndes - Co-founder Playboy Enterprises
- Anthony Principi - former Secretary of Veterans Affairs, US Naval Academy Graduate
- Honorable Frank White - former governor of Arkansas
- Bill Daniels - Daniels Foundation, father of cable TV in America
- Austin Cushman - former CEO Sears
- Owen Wilson - Writer/Producer/Actor, Academy Award Nominee
- Norm Brinker - former CEO Pillsbury, CEO/Owner Chili's
- LTG Gordon Sumner, USA Ret - Presidential Advisor, US Army General Officer
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does New Mexico Military Institute cost?
New Mexico Military Institute's tuition is approximately $23,218 for boarding students.
What is the acceptance rate of New Mexico Military Institute?
The acceptance rate of New Mexico Military Institute is 85%, which is higher than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from New Mexico Military Institute?
New Mexico Military Institute famous alumni include: Conrad Hilton, Roger Staubach, Victor Lowndes, Anthony Principi, Honorable Frank White, Bill Daniels, Austin Cushman, Owen Wilson, Norm Brinker and LTG Gordon Sumner, USA Ret.
What sports does New Mexico Military Institute offer?
New Mexico Military Institute offers 15 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field and Volleyball.
What is New Mexico Military Institute's ranking?
When is the application deadline for New Mexico Military Institute?
The application deadline for New Mexico Military Institute is Jul. 25 / Dec. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Jul. 25 / Dec. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2017
New Mexico Military Institute
Class of 2015
Texas Tech University
Class of 2003
Colorado school of mines