Admiral Farragut Academy
Scuba is offered during the academic school day and students can earn Advanced, Master Diver, and Cavern diving certifications, among others. They travel the state of Florida to visit famous springs and popular dive sites.
Aviation, one of the many signature programs at Farragut, allows students to earn their Private Pilot's license and earn 5 dual enrollment credits at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the #1 aeronautical university in the United States.
Engineering courses such as Intro to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and Civil Engineering & Architecture emphasize critical thinking, creativity, innovation and real-world problem solving.
Students use the school's waterfront boat basin during and after school or on the weekends for sailing, paddleboarding, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, fishing, or seine and cast netting.
There are a multitude of Upper School Clubs and new clubs may be started with enough student interest and a faculty/staff sponsor. An example of some current clubs: Key Club, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society / National Junior Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Spoken Word Poetry Club, Book Club, Guitar Club, Drill Team, Dive Club, and Robotics.
- Admiral Farragut Academy is a private, coed, secondary, boarding school for students in grades 8 - 12. Farragut is located on beautiful Boca Ciega Bay in St. Petersburg, Florida, U.S.A.
- Admiral Farragut Academy offers signature programs for students in grades 8 - 12, such as Naval Science (Military), Aviation, Engineering, Marine Science, and Scuba.
- Our faculty focus on developing the whole student and are involved in each student's life in and out of class. Our students represent an average of 27 countries and we offer ESOL classes for non-English speakers.
- Farragut also offers a fine arts program, 14 sports, sailing, weekend trips and other extracurricular activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University The most unique aspect of the school, would definitely be the Naval traditions and guidelines that the school follows. It allows for students to gain self- discipline, strive to be leaders and also have awesome. . .
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg Admiral Farragut Academy is a military college preparatory school that provides a variety of academic courses to chose from. The teachers truly care about their students and the small class sizes allow the teachers to. . .
- University of South Florida Admiral Farragut Academy is a very unique experience. With over 80 years of history and traditions, the school knows their product and execute it well. The experiences my peers and I shared was the catalyst. . .
- Columbia Southern University AFA was unique in that it's military background and focus, coupled with the Naval Science curriculum, helped establish in our minds that we were getting a first class education.Friends of mine that attended other. . .
- Jacksonville University A naval preparatory school on Bocas Ciega Bay in St. Petersburg, Fl. making it ideal for naval sciences. It has increased it's curriculum of sailing and navigation to include snorkeling, scuba diving and marine. . .
Top 5 Placements
Listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 17 military schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Offering Breadth Most sports offered
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Admiral Farragut||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||35 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||300 students||300 students|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Navy Jr. ROTC Uniforms)
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:17||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$17 million|
(includes all meals)
|Tuition international students||$52,000||$47,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Apr. 1 / Jun. 1||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Pamela Pardi|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Literature, English Literature & Comp, Environmental Science, Government/Economics, Microeconomics, Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Drama Club, Fellowship, Film Making Club, Key, Leo, Multicultural, National, Poetry Club, Prom, Robotics
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Guitar Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Memorable Mentors
- We are not only a secondary school, we are a home. Many of our high school students live here, as do many of our faculty and staff members. When we ask our students to describe Farragut in one word many say "family" and it's true. Our faculty and staff are much more - they coach your favorite sport, give advice when you need it, remember your birthday, join you and your friends at the dinner table, help with those tough assignments during nightly study hall, and truly care how you are.
- Life-Long Friendships
- Beautiful Weather
- Located on the gulfcoast in St. Petersburg, Florida you will find incredible tropical weather with an average of 74F (23C) and 361 days of sunshine a year. Our students sail, fish, kayak, and go to the beach ALL YEAR LONG!
- Unique Opportunities
- Learn about the world of aviation and earn your pilot's license; dive deep into marine science during scuba and oceanography class; make robots come to life in engineering; everyone finds their creative side in our fine arts program; play one of our 21 sports that welcomes all levels of athletic ability; head to the waterfront after school to sail, kayak, cast net, fish, and more; enjoy the weekends camping and diving the Florida springs, at one of the many Florida theme and water parks (Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, etc), enjoy shopping and dining at the local mall or Downtown St Pete, or relax on campus for our big screen movies and game nights.
- College Preparation
- In grades 8 - 12, living in the dorms on our college-like campus gives students the tools to become independent, responsible young adults. They learn to manage their time and live harmoniously with others. Students note that living with peers pushes them to work harder than they would in another setting. The high school's Naval Jr. ROTC program provides academic structure and the tools to become organized, accountable, self-disciplined, and respectful to self and others. Leadership positions are earned based on qualifications, performance, and seniority which really makes college applications stand out. "College placement counselors tell me our kids interview well. Our students are poised, articulate, and demonstrate public speaking skills that most adults would envy." - AFA Headmaster, Robert Fine, Jr.
- Success in the Future
- The "Farragut Experience" (as our alumni call it) is unforgettable and the lessons learned are instrumental in their success today. Farragut is proud to say it has graduated TWO of the twelve moon-walking astronauts, Alan Shepard and Charlie Duke, as well as national leaders in the areas of finance, business, philanthropy, entertainment, and military officers.
- School accreditations: FCIS, SACS, TABS, SAIS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Alan Shephard - Lunar Astronaut
- Charles Duke - Lunar Astronaut
- Stephen Stills - Rock Musician
- Lorenzo Lamas - Actor
- Submit Review for Admiral Farragut Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12, PG| 1700 students 183.2 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
- Grades: 6-12, PG | 100 students 1065.2 miles78 Academy Avenue
Cornwall-on-Hudson, NY 12520
February 19, 2018
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
February 19, 2018
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
January 12, 2018