Admiral Farragut Academy
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #2 - Scuba is offered during the academic school day and students can earn Open Water, Advanced, Dive Master, and Master Diver certifications. They travel the state of Florida to visit famous springs and popular dive sites.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #3 - Female and male dormitories are separated. All dorm rooms have a private bathroom and many have waterfront views.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #4 - Every year our seniors receive 100% college acceptance. The last graduate class earned $5.1 million in merit scholarships and a handful went on to service academies or to play collegiate sports.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #5 - Engineering courses such as Intro to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and Civil Engineering & Architecture emphasize critical thinking, creativity, innovation and real-world problem solving.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #6 - Students use the school's waterfront boat basin during and after school or on the weekends for sailing, paddleboarding, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, fishing, or seine and cast netting.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #7 - Admiral Farragut Academy offers up to 12 sports during the three seasons.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #8 - Aviation, one of the many signature programs at Farragut, allows students to earn their Private Pilot's license and earn 5 dual enrollment credits at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the #1 aeronautical university in the United States.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #9 - Fun activities and events to build stronger friendships with your peers.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #10 - There are a multitude of Upper School Clubs and new clubs may be started with enough student interest and a faculty/staff sponsor. An example of some current clubs: Key Club, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society / National Junior Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Spoken Word Poetry Club, Book Club, Guitar Club, Drill Team, Dive Club, and Robotics.
Admiral Farragut Academy is a private, coed, K-12 day school and 8-12 boarding high school.
Waterfront location on beautiful Boca Ciega Bay in St. Petersburg, Florida. Close to beaches and a vibrant downtown harbor.
Offers signature programs such as STEM, Marine Science, Naval Science (Leadership & Sailing), AP Capstone, Aviation, and Scuba.
Our faculty focus on developing the whole child and are involved in each student's life in and out of class. Our students represent an average of 27 countries and we offer ESL classes for non-English speakers.
Farragut also offers a variety of clubs, competitive sports, and weekend trips to theme parks.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University The most unique aspect of the school, would definitely be the Naval traditions and guidelines that the school follows. It allows for students to gain self- discipline, strive to be leaders and also have awesome. . .
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg Admiral Farragut Academy is a military college preparatory school that provides a variety of academic courses to chose from. The teachers truly care about their students and the small class sizes allow the teachers to. . .
- University of South Florida Admiral Farragut Academy is a very unique experience. With over 80 years of history and traditions, the school knows their product and execute it well. The experiences my peers and I shared was the catalyst. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Admiral Farragut||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||5-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||Pre-K-12|
|Campus Size||40 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Navy Jr. ROTC Uniforms)
|Average Class Size||17 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||15:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||50||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$1,500|
(Five one-week sessions are offered at $1,500 per session. Discounts if you register for more than one week!)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$24 million|
(Payment plans available. Includes all meals.)
(Payment plans available. Includes lunch.)
|Tuition international students||$58,200||$53,975|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Brian Chatterley|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jeff Ogden|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||50||18|
|Courses||AP Research, AP Seminar, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Literature, English Literature & Comp, Environmental Science, Government/Economics, Microeconomics, Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Book Club, Color Guard, Craft Club, DECA, Drama Club, Drill Team, Drone and Robotics, Filmmakers, Financial Literacy, Fishing, Future Business Leaders of America, Guitar, Interact, Model U.N., Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Naval Science Academics Team, Naval Science PT Team, Poetry Club, Russian Club, Social Studies, Spanish National Honor Society, Spanish National Junior Honor Society, Student Government, Teen Sci Cafe
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Memorable Mentors: We are not only a school -- we are a home. Many of our high school students live here. When we ask our students to describe Farragut in one word many say "family" and it's true. Our faculty and staff are much more - they coach your favorite sport, give advice when you need it, remember your birthday, join you and your friends at the dinner table, help with those tough assignments during nightly study hall, and truly care how you are.
- Life-Long Friendships: Your classmates are also your roommates, study partners, and best friends. Boarding students go home with day students for the weekend and day students are often found on campus after school hours. Since our students come from all over the world, they share their cultures and languages with us and we share ours. When school's out friendship isn't over - these newfound friends visit each other's homes whether it be across Florida, the United States, or on the other side of the world.
- Beautiful Weather: Located on the gulf coast in St. Petersburg, Florida you will find incredible tropical weather with an average of 74F (23C) and 361 days of sunshine a year. Our students sail, fish, kayak, and go to the beach ALL YEAR LONG!
- Unique Opportunities: Learn about the world of aviation and earn your pilot's license; dive deep into marine science during scuba and marine science class; make robots come to life in engineering; finds your creative side in our fine arts program; play one of our sports that welcomes all levels of athletic ability; head to the waterfront after school to sail, kayak, cast net, fish, and more; enjoy the weekends camping and diving the Florida springs, at one of the many Florida theme and water parks (Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, etc), enjoy shopping and dining at the local mall or Downtown St Pete, or relax on campus for our big screen movies and game nights.
- College Preparation: Living in the dorms on our college-like campus gives students the tools to become independent, responsible young adults. They learn to manage their time and live harmoniously with others. Students note that living with peers pushes them to work harder than they would in another setting.
- Naval Science: This program provides academic structure and the tools to become organized, accountable, self-disciplined, and respectful to self and others. Leadership positions are earned based on qualifications, performance, and seniority which really makes college applications stand out.
- Success in the Future: The Farragut Experience is unforgettable and the lessons learned are instrumental in their success today. Farragut is proud to say it has graduated TWO of the twelve moonwalking astronauts, Alan Shepard '45 and Charlie Duke '53, as well as national leaders in the areas of finance, business, philanthropy, entertainment, and military officers.
- Admiral Farragut Academy accreditations: FCIS, SACS, TABS, SAIS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- RADM Alan Shepard, Jr., USN (Ret.) ‘41N - Moonwalking astronaut: First American in space in 1961 and a member of the Apollo 14 mission in 1971
- Brig Gen Charles Duke, USAF (Ret.) ‘53S - Moonwalking astronaut: member of the Apollo 16 mission in 1972
- Lorenzo Lamas '75 - Actor whose notable works include the role of Tom in Grease and the role of Lance in Falcon Crest, for which he received a Golden Globe Award nomination for Best Supporting Actor – Series, Miniseries or Television Film
- RADM Mark H. Buzby, USN (ret) ‘75N - Former United States Navy Rear Admiral and Administrator of the United States Maritime Administration
- Maj. Megan M. McClung ‘91N - The first female United States Marine Corps officer killed in combat during the Iraq War
- Rayshawn Jenkins ‘12 - Safety for the Los Angeles Chargers
- Joseph Zolfo ‘86N - Film and television producer of the most notable shows God Friended Me and NCIS New Orleans
- Casper Van Dien ‘88S - Actor on the most notable movies Starship Troopers and as Tarzan in Tarzan and the Lost City
- John Hodges ‘85N - Started his career on Capitol Hill in 1992 and is currently the Director of Office Supply Services under the Chief Administrative Officer of the House. He has served the US House of Representatives for a total of 27 years
Profile last updated: 03/29/2021
- Submit Review for Admiral Farragut Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 1600 students 183.2 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
(904) 256-5030183.29-12, PG1600
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Are you thinking about sending your daughter off to boarding school? Go for it!
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.