Admiral Farragut Academy
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #2 - All dorm rooms have a private bathroom and many have waterfront views.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #3 - Admiral Farragut Academy offers up to 14 sports during the three seasons.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #4 - Scuba is offered during the academic school day and students can earn Advanced, Master Diver, and Cavern diving certifications, among others. They travel the state of Florida to visit famous springs and popular dive sites.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #5 - Aviation, one of the many signature programs at Farragut, allows students to earn their Private Pilot's license and earn 5 dual enrollment credits at Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University, the #1 aeronautical university in the United States.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #6 - Engineering courses such as Intro to Engineering Design, Principles of Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, and Civil Engineering & Architecture emphasize critical thinking, creativity, innovation and real-world problem solving.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #7 - Students use the school's waterfront boat basin during and after school or on the weekends for sailing, paddleboarding, kayaking, canoeing, tubing, fishing, or seine and cast netting.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #8 - Fun activities and events to build stronger friendships with your peers.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo #9 - There are a multitude of Upper School Clubs and new clubs may be started with enough student interest and a faculty/staff sponsor. An example of some current clubs: Key Club, Multicultural Club, National Honor Society / National Junior Honor Society, Spanish Honor Society, Mu Alpha Theta, Spoken Word Poetry Club, Book Club, Guitar Club, Drill Team, Dive Club, and Robotics.
- Admiral Farragut Academy is a private, coed, secondary, boarding school for students in grades 8 - 12. Farragut is located on beautiful Boca Ciega Bay in St. Petersburg, Florida, U.S.A.
- Admiral Farragut Academy offers signature programs for students in grades 8 - 12, such as Naval Science (Military), Aviation, Engineering, Marine Science, AP Capstone and Scuba.
- Our faculty focus on developing the whole child and are involved in each student's life in and out of class. Our students represent an average of 27 countries and we offer ESOL classes for non-English speakers.
- Farragut also offers a variety of clubs, 14 competitive sports, sailing, weekend trips and other extracurricular activities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Stanford University The most unique aspect of the school, would definitely be the Naval traditions and guidelines that the school follows. It allows for students to gain self- discipline, strive to be leaders and also have awesome. . .
- University of South Florida St. Petersburg Admiral Farragut Academy is a military college preparatory school that provides a variety of academic courses to chose from. The teachers truly care about their students and the small class sizes allow the teachers to. . .
- University of South Florida Admiral Farragut Academy is a very unique experience. With over 80 years of history and traditions, the school knows their product and execute it well. The experiences my peers and I shared was the catalyst. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Admiral Farragut||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||35 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Navy Jr. ROTC Uniforms)
|Average Class Size||17 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:15||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$7,250|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$20 million|
(tuition, room and board, meals)
|Tuition international students||$51,800||$49,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Pamela Pardi|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||17|
|Courses||AP Research, AP Seminar, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Literature, English Literature & Comp, Environmental Science, Government/Economics, Microeconomics, Statistics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Healthy Communities / Healthy Youth Study Group, High Energy, Key, Lacrosse, Leo, Multicultural, Red and Gray (Lower School Literary and Arts Magazine), Red Circle, Robotics, Rock Band Club, Zumba
Arts and Music Programs:
Guitar Club, KWEB Radio Station
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Paleontology Digs, SCUBA
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Memorable Mentors
- We are not only a secondary school, we are a home. Many of our high school students live here, as do many of our faculty and staff members. When we ask our students to describe Farragut in one word many say "family" and it's true. Our faculty and staff are much more - they coach your favorite sport, give advice when you need it, remember your birthday, join you and your friends at the dinner table, help with those tough assignments during nightly study hall, and truly care how you are.
- Life-Long Friendships
- Beautiful Weather
- Located on the gulfcoast in St. Petersburg, Florida you will find incredible tropical weather with an average of 74F (23C) and 361 days of sunshine a year. Our students sail, fish, kayak, and go to the beach ALL YEAR LONG!
- Unique Opportunities
- Learn about the world of aviation and earn your pilot's license; dive deep into marine science during scuba and oceanography class; make robots come to life in engineering; everyone finds their creative side in our fine arts program; play one of our 21 sports that welcomes all levels of athletic ability; head to the waterfront after school to sail, kayak, cast net, fish, and more; enjoy the weekends camping and diving the Florida springs, at one of the many Florida theme and water parks (Disney, Universal, Busch Gardens, Sea World, etc), enjoy shopping and dining at the local mall or Downtown St Pete, or relax on campus for our big screen movies and game nights.
- College Preparation
- In grades 8 - 12, living in the dorms on our college-like campus gives students the tools to become independent, responsible young adults. They learn to manage their time and live harmoniously with others. Students note that living with peers pushes them to work harder than they would in another setting. The high school's Naval Jr. ROTC program provides academic structure and the tools to become organized, accountable, self-disciplined, and respectful to self and others. Leadership positions are earned based on qualifications, performance, and seniority which really makes college applications stand out. "College placement counselors tell me our kids interview well. Our students are poised, articulate, and demonstrate public speaking skills that most adults would envy." - AFA Headmaster, Robert Fine, Jr.
- Success in the Future
- The "Farragut Experience" (as our alumni call it) is unforgettable and the lessons learned are instrumental in their success today. Farragut is proud to say it has graduated TWO of the twelve moon-walking astronauts, Alan Shepard and Charlie Duke, as well as national leaders in the areas of finance, business, philanthropy, entertainment, and military officers.
- Admiral Farragut Academy accreditations: FCIS, SACS, TABS, SAIS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Alan Shephard - Lunar Astronaut
- Charles Duke - Lunar Astronaut
- Lorenzo Lamas - Actor, 75'N
- Mark Buzby - Administrator of the Department of Transportation’s Maritime Administration (MarAd).
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Admiral Farragut Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG| 1700 students 183.2 miles7400 San Jose Blvd.
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Jacksonville, FL 32217
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
You can pay for boarding school in several different ways. One option will be right for you.
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.