The Air Force JROTC program teaches much more than how to march. It offers students the opportunity to develop leadership skills in and out of the classroom setting. It also teaches students about citizenship, serving others, and 'real life' skills such as resume writing and how to balance a checkbook.
Community service is taught, not required, at Randolph-Macon Academy. While there is no requirement for graduation, students are given many opportunities to serve their community, both on-campus and in the town of Front Royal. In this photo, students are helping to match wish-lists with toys in the local Toys for Tots program.
Sonner-Payne Hall is R-MA's main building, overlooking the historic town of Front Royal. It houses the boys' dorm and administrative offices.
Randolph-Macon Academy offers a unique flight program. The two airplanes (both Cessna 172s) are owned by the Academy, and the instructors are faculty members. About 30 students each year are enrolled in the program. On average, four to six students solo each year, and another one to two earn their private pilot certification.
This photo shows most of Randolph-Macon's 135-acre campus, which sits on a hill overlooking the town of Front Royal. The athletic fields include a football field, baseball field, softball field, two soccer fields, and a lacrosse field in addition to the track. There are views of the Blue Ridge Mountains to the east and west of campus.
Have fun in Randolph-Macon Academy's drama department! Featuring plays and musicals such as 'Mulan,' 'Grease,' and 'Check Please!', drama at R-MA offers opportunities for the experienced actor as well as the person who has always wanted to try it but never had a chance.
With a STEM program that is expanding each year, Randolph-Macon students are challenged to explore and be creative.
- "Randolph-Macon Academy is a co-ed college prep school offering Air Force Junior ROTC, flight, chorus, drama, art, and an award-winning marching band.
- R-MA was founded in 1892 and stands on a 135-acre campus overlooking Front Royal, VA, only 70 miles west of Washington, D.C. With the Blue Ridge Mountains visible in three directions, and the Shenandoah River nearby, our setting is one of beauty and inspiration.".
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Roanoke College One aspect that I liked most about R-MA was the fact that the classes consisted of no more than twenty students. Having this few students in a classroom meant that as an individual student I. . .
- Virginia Tech Diversity. R-MA offers a wide range of valuable experiences and opportunities (both academic & non-academic) that will certainly propel you to your desired college/university, not to mention have you very well prepared. In. . .
- George Mason University Randolph Macon Academy is a military academy with many aspects of a non-military prep school--chapel for instance. It is also a co-ed military academy, which was great for me (being a woman!). . .
- Virginia Tech Randolph-Macon is unique for 2 reasons: 1) The ROTC experience is quite unique. I think that drilling as a unit really builds friendships and camaraderie among students. It certainly helps the students. . .
Top 5 Placements
Listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 17 military schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Randolph-Macon||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||6-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Religious Affiliation||United Methodist||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||135 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1528||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||29||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$17 million|
(Middle school tuition is 35,110)
(Middle school tuition is 16,668)
|Tuition international students||$46,251||$47,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,770||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Mar. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Clare Dame|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amy Harriman|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||29||17|
|Courses||(English) Utopia/Dystopia Honors, Algebra 1 Honors, Algebra 2 Honors, AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP German IV, AP German V, AP German VI, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish IV, AP Spanish V, AP Statistics, AP US Government & Politics, AP US History, Arts in Society Honors, English 10 Composition Honors, English 10 Literature Honors, English 9 Composition Honors, English 9 Literature Honors, Geometry Honors, German 3 Honors, Honors Anatomy & Physiology, Honors Biology, Pre-calculus Honors, Spanish 3 Honors, World History II Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||23|
Club or Organization:
Air Force JROTC, Chess Club, Community Service Club, Honor, Honor Guard, Interact Club, National English Honor Society, National Geographic Bee, National German Honor Society, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, National Spanish Honor Society, Residential Life Committee, Rocketry Team, Student Council Association
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Chorus, Drama Club, Literary Magazine, Studio Art, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Armed Drill Team, Color Guard, Flag Corps, Flag Football, Outdoor Activities, Personal Fitness, Sabre Arch Team, Speech and Debate, Unarmed Drill Team, Weightlifting
|Year: 2008 - 2011||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|George Mason University||9|
|James Madison University||9|
|West Virginia University||9|
|Arizona State University||8|
|Old Dominion University||8|
|Lord Fairfax Community College||7|
|Pennsylvania State University, University Park||6|
|The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina||6|
|University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Randolph-Macon Academy is a co-ed college-prep school with an Air Force Junior ROTC program, focused on getting students into to the colleges of their choice. Founded in 1892, the 135-acre campus is 70 miles west of Washington, D.C., overlooking Front Royal, VA.
- Our graduating classes have a 99% college acceptance rate, and average over $5 million in college scholarships each year.
- Affiliated and listed with the United Methodist Church
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Virginia Association of Independent Schools.
- Unique flight training program.
- Marching band performs in NY, MI, and FL.
- Air Force JROTC program teaches leadership, citizenship, and self-discipline, and is recognized as a "Distinguished Unit with Merit".
- LD types supported: No
- School accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Submit Review for Randolph-Macon Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 19, 2018
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
February 19, 2018
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
January 12, 2018