Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #2 - Sonner-Payne Hall is R-MA's main building, overlooking the historic town of Front Royal. It houses the boys' dorm and administrative offices.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #3 - Randolph-Macon Academy offers a unique flight program. The two airplanes (both Cessna 172s) are owned by the Academy, and the instructors are faculty members. About 30 students each year are enrolled in the program. On average, four to six students solo each year, and another one to two earn their private pilot certification.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #4 - The Air Force JROTC program teaches much more than how to march. It offers students the opportunity to develop leadership skills in and out of the classroom setting. It also teaches students about citizenship, serving others, and "real life" skills such as resume writing and how to balance a checkbook.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #5 - With a STEM program that is expanding each year and innovation labs opened in 2017 and 2018, Randolph-Macon students are challenged to explore ideas and solve problems creatively.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #6 - R-MA's marching band participates in the Washington, D.C., and/or New York City St. Patrick's Day Parade every year in addition to other parades on the East Coast. The concert band performed at the National Rifle Association's annual convention for three consecutive years.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #7 - Community service is taught, not required, at Randolph-Macon Academy. While there is no requirement for graduation, students are given many opportunities to serve their community, both on-campus and in the town of Front Royal. In this photo, students are helping to clear the brush from the property of St. Luke's Clinic, a local free clinic providing health care to those in need.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #8 - This photo shows most of Randolph-Macon's 135-acre campus, which sits on a hill overlooking the town of Front Royal. The athletic fields include a football field, baseball field, softball field, two soccer fields, and a lacrosse field in addition to the track. There are views of the Blue Ridge Mountains to the east and west of campus.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #9 - Team-building and confidence-building activities are a key component of extracurricular activities at R-MA. Whether it is through the on-campus "Boomer's Run" with various challenges to overcome, or the high and low ropes courses at the nearby 4H Northern Virginia Educational Center, the students are regularly engaged in activities that will challenge them to rise.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #10 - Have fun in Randolph-Macon Academy's drama department! Featuring plays and musicals such as "Mulan," "Lion King," "Grease," and "Check Please!", drama at R-MA offers opportunities for the experienced actor as well as the person who has always wanted to try it but never had a chance.
- VisionMaking Leaders Who Will Improve Humanity MissionInspire the RISE Within
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Roanoke College One aspect that I liked most about R-MA was the fact that the classes consisted of no more than twenty students. Having this few students in a classroom meant that as an individual student I. . .
- Virginia Tech Diversity. R-MA offers a wide range of valuable experiences and opportunities (both academic & non-academic) that will certainly propel you to your desired college/university, not to mention have you very well prepared. In. . .
- George Mason University Randolph Macon Academy is a military academy with many aspects of a non-military prep school--chapel for instance. It is also a co-ed military academy, which was great for me (being a woman!). . .
Top 5 Placements
Randolph-Macon Academy is listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 16 military schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Randolph-Macon||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||United Methodist||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||135 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||257 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1110||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||22||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Air Force duty for grades 9-12; khaki pants and polo shirt for grades 6-8; all grades wear blazer once per week.)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,765|
(Boarding, Upper School costs. Prices vary for Middle School and/or day campers. )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$7.8 million||$20 million|
(Middle school 7-day is $40,090.)
(Middle school tuition is $20,069.)
|Tuition international students||$54,251||$51,135|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,770||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Mar. 1 / Aug. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Clare Dame|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amy Harriman|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|Courses||(English) Utopia/Dystopia Honors, Algebra 2 Honors, Anatomy & Physiology, Dual Enrolled, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP French, AP German IV, AP German V, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish IV, AP Spanish V, AP Statistics, AP US Government & Politics, AP US History, Arts in Society Honors, Biotechnology, Dual Enrolled, Chemistry Honors, English 10 Honors, English 9 Honors, French III Honors, Geometry Honors, Geospatial Information Systems, Dual Enrolled, German 3 Honors, Pre-calculus Honors, Spanish 3 Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||36||23|
Club or Organization:
Air Force JROTC, Cadets in Action, Chess Club, Community Service Club, CyberPatriot, Digital Photography, Drumming and Percussion, Exeter Social Service Organization (ESSO), Exeter Surf Club, Exonian (Newspaper), Flight Club (Middle School), Honor Guard, International Club, LEAD (Leaders at Exeter Abstaining from Drugs), PEAN (Yearbook), Random Acts of Kindness Club, S.B.F.L. (Intramural Flag Football), Spring Fling Committee
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Chorus, Drama Club, Exeter Politic Union, Open Door/Gay Straight Alliance, Table Tennis
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Armed Drill Team, Color Guard, Exeter Independents, Flag Corps, Flag Football, National Geographic Bee, Political Action, Res Gestae (Yearbook), Singing Club, Theatrical Arts Society (T.A.S), Worship Team
|Year: 2013 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|George Mason University||17|
|University of Virginia||15|
|Pennsylvania State University, University Park||10|
|Virginia Commonwealth University||9|
|Northern Virginia Community College--Annandale Campus||8|
|Arizona State University||7|
|James Madison University||7|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Inspire the Rise within your child at Randolph-Macon Academy, where tradition meets innovation.
- Randolph-Macon Academy is a co-ed college-prep school with an Air Force Junior ROTC program, focused on equipping students to be successful in college and in life.
- Our academic program encourages students to develop creative, innovative solutions to challenges, to work collaboratively and think analytically and critcally.
- Our graduating classes have a 99% college acceptance rate, and average over $6 million in college scholarships each year.
- Affiliated and listed with the United Methodist Church.
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Virginia Association of Independent Schools.
- Unique flight training program that includes two Cessna 172 aircraft, a professional-level flight simulator, and a drone program.
- Marching band performs throughout the East Coast, from New York City to Florida.
- Air Force JROTC program teaches leadership, citizenship, and self-discipline, and is recognized as a "Distinguished Unit with Merit".
- Randolph-Macon Academy accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Randolph-Macon Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn about the benefits of attending a Quaker boarding school.
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.