Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #2 - Sonner-Payne Hall is R-MA's main building, overlooking the historic town of Front Royal. It houses the boys' dorm and administrative offices.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #3 - Randolph-Macon Academy offers a unique flight program. The two airplanes (both Cessna 172s) are owned by the Academy, and the instructors are faculty members. About 30 students each year are enrolled in the program. On average, four to six students solo each year, and another one to two earn their private pilot certification.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #4 - The Air Force JROTC program teaches much more than how to march. It offers students the opportunity to develop leadership skills in and out of the classroom setting. It also teaches students about citizenship, serving others, and "real life" skills such as resume writing and how to balance a checkbook.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #5 - With a STEM program that is expanding each year and innovation labs opened in 2017 and 2018, Randolph-Macon students are challenged to explore ideas and solve problems creatively.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #6 - R-MA's marching band participates in the Washington, D.C., and/or New York City St. Patrick's Day Parade every year in addition to other parades on the East Coast. The concert band performed at the National Rifle Association's annual convention for three consecutive years.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #7 - Community service is taught, not required, at Randolph-Macon Academy. While there is no requirement for graduation, students are given many opportunities to serve their community, both on-campus and in the town of Front Royal. In this photo, students are helping to clear the brush from the property of St. Luke's Clinic, a local free clinic providing health care to those in need.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #8 - This photo shows most of Randolph-Macon's 135-acre campus, which sits on a hill overlooking the town of Front Royal. The athletic fields include a football field, baseball field, softball field, two soccer fields, and a lacrosse field in addition to the track. There are views of the Blue Ridge Mountains to the east and west of campus.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #9 - Team-building and confidence-building activities are a key component of extracurricular activities at R-MA. Whether it is through the on-campus "Boomer's Run" with various challenges to overcome, or the high and low ropes courses at the nearby 4H Northern Virginia Educational Center, the students are regularly engaged in activities that will challenge them to rise.
Randolph-Macon Academy Photo #10 - Have fun in Randolph-Macon Academy's drama department! Featuring plays and musicals such as "Mulan," "Lion King," "Grease," and "Check Please!", drama at R-MA offers opportunities for the experienced actor as well as the person who has always wanted to try it but never had a chance.
- Randolph-Macon Academy (R-MA) provides students with a superior university-prep education with a distinguished Air Force Junior ROTC leadership program.
- The mission of R-MA is "To Inspire the RISE Within." The vision is "Making Leaders Who Will Improve Humanity.".
- Virtual Event - Wed., September 30, 2020 7:00pm (EDT) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 07, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 14, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 21, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
- Virtual Event - Wed., October 28, 2020 7:00pm (GMT-0400) - get more information!
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Roanoke College One aspect that I liked most about R-MA was the fact that the classes consisted of no more than twenty students. Having this few students in a classroom meant that as an individual student I. . .
- Virginia Tech Diversity. R-MA offers a wide range of valuable experiences and opportunities (both academic & non-academic) that will certainly propel you to your desired college/university, not to mention have you very well prepared. In. . .
- George Mason University Randolph Macon Academy is a military academy with many aspects of a non-military prep school--chapel for instance. It is also a co-ed military academy, which was great for me (being a woman!). . .
Top 5 Placements
Randolph-Macon Academy is listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 16 military schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Randolph-Macon||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||United Methodist||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||135 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||246 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Air Force duty for grades 9-12; khaki pants and polo shirt for grades 6-8; all grades wear blazer once per week.)
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$8.7 million||$22 million|
(Middle school 7-day boarding is $41,205.)
(Middle school tuition is $20,595.)
|Tuition international students||$55,770||$52,900|
(5 Day Boarding)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Mar. 1 / Aug. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||17||18|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP French IV, AP French V, AP German IV, AP German V, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish IV, AP Spanish V, AP Statistics, AP US Government & Politics, AP US History, Chemistry Honors, English 10 Honors, English 9 Honors, French III Honors, Geometry Honors, Geospatial Information Systems, Dual Enrolled, German 3 Honors, Honors Anatomy & Physiology, Honors Pre-Calculus (Dual-Enrolled), Spanish 3 Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country Running, Drill Team, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||24|
Club or Organization:
Cadets in Action, Community Service Club, CyberPatriot, Digital Photography, Flight Club (Middle School), Honor Council, Honor Guard, Interact Club, International Club, Residential Life Committee
Arts and Music Programs:
Band, Chorus, Drama Club, Table Tennis
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Armed Drill Team, Color Guard, Flag Corps, Flag Football, National Geographic Bee, Unarmed Drill Team, Worship Team
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Inspire the Rise within your child at Randolph-Macon Academy (R-MA), where tradition meets innovation. R-MA is a co-ed college-prep school with an Air Force Junior ROTC program, focused on equipping students to be successful in college and in life.
- Our academic program encourages students to develop creative, innovative solutions to challenges, to work collaboratively and think analytically and critcally.
- Students may engage in one of three Pre-Professional Pathways: Aeronautics, Technology, & Engineering Design, Global Entrepreneurship, or Leadership Dynamics.
- January Term offers unique coursework opportunities and time for internships.
- Our graduating classes have a 100% college acceptance rate to some of the top universities around the globe, and average over $6 million in college scholarships each year.
- Affiliated and listed with the United Methodist Church.
- Accredited by the Virginia Association of Independent Schools and AdvancED.
- Unique flight training program that includes two Cessna 172 aircraft, a professional-level flight simulator, and a drone program that utilizes highly advanced, professional-level drones.
- Marching band performs throughout the East Coast, from New York City to Florida.
- Air Force JROTC program teaches leadership, citizenship, and self-discipline, and is recognized as a "Distinguished Unit with Merit".
- Randolph-Macon Academy accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools; Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Randolph-Macon Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.