Hargrave Military Academy
Hargrave Military Academy Photo #3 - Hargrave uses the Military Structure for the foundation as it builds out the Academic achievement, Character development, Athletic accomplishment and Spiritual growth of each of our young men.
Hargrave Military Academy Photo #4 - For over 100 Years Hargrave has been in the business of building young men into leaders of character prepared for lifelong success!
Hargrave Military Academy Photo #5 - Our High Adventure Camp is always a summer favorite. Contact our admissions department today if you have questions about this fun and unique program. 800-432-2480
Hargrave Military Academy Photo #6 - Hargrave has a culturally diverse and strong international enrollment. The Cadets photographed represent four different countries and seven different languages spoken.
Hargrave Military Academy Photo #7 - Hargrave strives to develop well-rounded young men. Hargrave offers various opportunities for Cadets to be involved with music and the arts. Pictured above are our Hargrave Highlanders Pipe and Drum Corps, under the direction of Tim Carpenter during a performance at Virginia International Raceway.
Hargrave Military Academy Photo #8 - Hargrave is known for its comprehensive basketball program. Postgraduate, Varsity, JV and Middle School teams available.
Hargrave Military Academy Photo #9 - Recognized as one of the Top Athletic Academy. Hargrave is competitive at the State and National level and enjoys success in many sports.
- Hargrave makes a boy's development personal by investing in skills and relationships that will last a lifetime. Your son will be exposed to our "How to Study" program and build relationships with everyone who interacts with him, including classmates, staff, coaches, teachers, and TACs.
- We turn potential into opportunity while challenging a student to give his best effort in all things. Upon graduation, our cadets feel a genuine sense of accomplishment and are well prepared to face the challenges of college and life.
- "Character Matters Here" is more than a slogan. It's a calling. The Hargrave man is one who will lead his family, church, community, and profession with integrity, commitment and resolve. A Hargrave man makes his family proud.
Upcoming Events and News
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Rensselaer Polytechic Institute The military aspect of Hargrave and the institution of the military model for the organization and function of the student body does well to develop in the students qualities such as leadership, integrity, self-discipline, and. . .
- RMCS Hargrave is a private military boarding school and offers the tremendous benefits inherent therein including discipline, structure, attention to detail and earned rewards and authority. Hargrave also teaches at the level the student is. . .
- Montgomery College The military life made for complete academic success. Sports were encouraged and competitive playing at the college jv level. Music program was awesome with band, chorus and the rock band. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Hargrave Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||7-12, PG||5-12|
|Campus Size||214 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||141 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1030||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,100|
(4500 for International )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$20 million|
(Hargrave is committed to honest and transparent pr)
(Hargrave is committed to honest and transparent pricing. All prices are BEFORE tuition assistance; you will never pay more than the price you see. Our Tuition for Life program ensures that tuition rates will not increase for the duration of your son’s enrollment. Tuition rates are inclusive of academic instruction, room and board, initial uniform issue, book rental, laundry, dry cleaning, haircuts, lab fees, infirmary fees (including dispensing of medication), and club and sports activities.)
|Tuition international students||$49,419||$50,145|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,305||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Wes McClure|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||23||18|
|Courses||Algebra 1 (Honors), Algebra 2 Advanced (Honors), American Literature/Composition (Honors), AP Biology, AP Calculus A/B, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature, AP Physics 1, AP Spanish Language, AP Statistics, Biology (Honors), Chemistry (Honors), Critical Reading and Writing (CRW), English Literature/Composition (Honors), Geometry (Honors), Mandarin Chinese 3 (Honors), Pre-Calculus (Honors), Spanish 3 (Honors), Spanish 4 (Honors), Spanish AP, Virginia/US Government (Honors), World Studies (Honors)|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Diving, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Markmanship, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||16||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Beta Club, Bible Study, Boy Scouts, Camden Rifles Drill Team, Chess Club, Color Guard, Computer Science Club, Eye of the Tiger, Live Action Role Play (LARP), Martial Arts, Scuba, Spanish Club, Triathlon, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
|Year: 2013 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Virginia Military Institute||12|
|North Carolina State University||9|
|United States Naval Academy||7|
|West Virginia University||7|
|United States Military Academy||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- How To Study Program - A deliberate curriculum that teaches students from day-one the methods to make study time effective and efficient. Cadets learn how to take notes in class, read text correctly, organize materials for homework, prepare for tests, and establish surroundings conducive to study. These methods are reinforced in study halls, homework sessions, group study, and peer tutoring.
- We offer challenging core classes and dual enrollment (high school and college credit), Advanced Placement and Honors courses
- More than 50% of our faculty have advanced degrees
- We are endorsed by both the US Military Academy (West Point) and US Naval Academy (Annapolis) as a preparatory school for their respective academies
- The Academic Learning Center provides assessment and proper placement in Math, Reading and English classes, faculty to facilitate online learning, help when a student struggles or requires accelerated learning, and offers tutoring via faculty, peer, group and collaborative study.
- Advanced and enhanced learning through available online courses
- The low teacher-to-student ratio (1:10 or better) means smaller classes and more individual attention.
- Study hall time is built into the schedule; additional Individual Instruction Time (IIT) is built into the schedule allowing more 1-on-1 time between students and teachers.
- We consistently achieve 100% college acceptances, averaging over $4 million in scholarships annually.
- We have over 75 current and former students accepted into US Service Academies.
- 12 Varsity sports, daily physical fitness and conditioning for all students
- Coaches are trained through Positive Coaching Alliance.
- Coaches are a positive role model, mentor, guide and teacher
- We have an Olympic-sized pool with three diving boards
- Three basketball courts and a premier tennis facility with six lighted tennis courts offer great access to all students
- We have a new strength and conditioning facility complete with free weights, CrossFit, and cardio equipment.
- A Marine Corps certified obstacle course and leader reaction course promotes teamwork and develops decision-making skills.
- A trap and skeet range, paintball course, climbing wall and rappel tower complete provide more opportunities for physical development.
- The campus has 200+ acres to roam and be outdoors.
- Since 2016, Hargrave is the only Virginia military high school certified as a National School of Character through Character.org
- In an integrated approach to character development, character trait learning is reinforced in every aspect of student life: across academics, in sports, in residential life, and through Biblical application.
- Students learn and live out our core values along with other character traits such as commitment, trustworthiness, and loyalty.
- Our Center for Leadership and Ethics spearheads our Character Across the Campus program and provides the leadership curriculum.
- All students are required to take Leadership 1 as an elective and are offered Leadership 2 as a continuation.
- Each leadership course is specifically designed for lower school (7th 9th grades) and upper school (10th 12th grades).
- Character matters here.
- Hargrave uses a variety of tools to develop a cadet spiritually regardless of his individual faith background.
- Hargrave makes spiritual development a real and deliberate opportunity for cadets to grow in their faith, develop an ethical decision-making foundation and develop a lifelong passion for spiritual growth.
- Chapel services are held twice a week led by our youth minister/chaplain
- Time for individual, small-group or large-group devotion; personal reflection; and quiet time is scheduled every evening.
- Cadets can participate in our Fellowship of Christian Athletes program
- Cadets are able to attend Sunday services at local churches.
- A weekly group Bible study is offered. Cadet leaders are taught how to lead a devotion.
- Spiritual Emphasis Week entails guest speakers, preachers, special music and group-bonding experiences
- Cadets have opportunities in class to share thoughts and perspectives stemming from devotions or personal reflection time.
- Hargrave Military Academy accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools (VAIS); Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS): National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS); The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ward Burton '82 - 2002 Daytona 500 Champion; NASCAR Winston Cup Driver
- Walter B. Jones '61 - Congressman (R), 3rd District North Carolina
- Dr. Art Chandler, Jr. '49 - Ophthalmologist; Voice of Duke Basketball
- MG William Caldwell, IV '72 - Major General, USA - As seen commanding in Iraq
- Larry Brown '59 - Former NBA Detroit Pistons Head Coach
- Torry Holt '95 - NFL Player - St. Louis Rams
- R. Kirk Landon '46 - Former CEO American Bankers Insurance Corp.
- David West '98 - NBA Player - New Orleans Jazz
- Scott Street '61 - Attorney - Former president of the Virginia Bar Assosciation
- Joshua Howard '99 - NBA Player - Dallas Mavericks
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Hargrave Military Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The Association of Boarding Schools has a common admissions application form which simplifies the admissions application process.
Here are some answers to the more common concerns we parents have when our child goes off to boarding school.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.