Riverside Military Academy
5.00 (5 reviews)
2001 Riverside Drive
Gainesville, GA 30501
Gainesville, GA 30501
Riverside Military Academy Photo #2 - Aerial view of the Riverside Military Academy campus. Riverside is located on Lake Lanier in the foothills of the Blueridge Mountains just one hour north of Atlanta, GA.
Riverside Military Academy Photo #3 - The Riverside Band plays during the annual Atlanta Veterans' Day Parade. The Riverside Military Academy Corps of Cadets frequently wins the coveted President's Trophy for Best Marching Unit.
Riverside Military Academy Photo #4 - Riverside's Sandy Beaver Center for Teaching and Learning features an extensive library, performing and fine arts classrooms, and a large theatre with 725 seats. Our students have many opportunities to perform in plays or musicals, band, chorus, and regional/state competitions.
Riverside Military Academy Photo #7 - Riverside Military Academy Parents' Day and Teacher Conferences
Riverside Military Academy Photo #8 - Riverside's art courses include pottery, ceramics, stone carving, and drawing. Advanced Art students also learn to use a 3D printer. Many of our students have earned scholarships to art & design schools, and some of our students have won awards for their artwork.
Riverside Military Academy Photo #9 - Class sizes at Riverside are small, so our students receive more individual attention. They have mandatory study hours with teaching faculty present for extra assistance, and they are taught time management and study skills. We also have a Peer Tutoring Association.
- Located one hour north of Atlanta, Georgia, Riverside Military Academy has remained one of the nation's premier college preparatory academies for young men in grades 7-12 since 1907.
- Our mission is to provide a supportive and challenging educational environment that fosters scholarly competence and intellectual curiosity enhances spiritual and physical fitness and develops leadership skills and the strength of character necessary for success in college and in life.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Belmont university Riverside Military Academy was one of the best experiences of my life. It taught me the values of hard work and camaraderie. Along with giving me the opportunity to travel across three nation and. . .
- Georgia Institute of Technology Ricerside is an all-male Military Academy so there is mandatory participation in the JROTC program 24/7. So the structure and disciplinary aspects of the school certainly help graduates stand out, especially if they have any. . .
- Appalachian State University The ROTC program helped shape the framework of how Riverside operates, and as a "Military Academy" it of course had to have that component. This really helped with the direction the education took as well. . .
Top 10 Placements
Riverside Military Academy is listed among the top 10 schools with > 400 students (out of 110 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Riverside Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||206 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||550 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1323||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||20||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$40 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$43,605||$50,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Ben Allen|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||18|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus (AB), Chemistry, Computer Science, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Human Geography, Physics, Physics C, Physics II, Psychology, Statistics, U.S. Government, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Fencing, Football, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||41||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Bowl, Boy Scouts of America, Color Guard, Community Service Club, Comprehensive Fitness Club, Cyber Eagles, Drama Club, Drill Team, Fencing Club, Hockey, Ski/Snowboarding, Curling, JROTC, Library Forum, Mischords, Model United Nations, Mountain Biking, Spin Bike, Road Cycling, National History Club, National Honor Society, O.R. Horton Society, Peer Tutoring Association, Red Cross Club, Respecters of All Diversities, Russian Club, Science National Honor Society, Softball, SPS Ballet Company, Technology Club, Tennis Club, Tri-M Music Honor Society, Ultimate Frisbee, Vintage Film Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Airsoft Club, Fishing Club, Get Fit, Sailing Club
|Year: 2014 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of North Georgia||7|
|Savannah College of Art and Design||4|
|U.S. Military Academy - West Point||4|
|University of Arizona||4|
|Marion Military Institute||3|
|Embry Riddle Aeronautical University||2|
|Florida Institute of Technology||2|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||2|
- Through the academy's military structure, cadets learn self-discipline, honor, and leadership skills
- Riverside's Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (JROTC)has been designated as a JROTC Honor Unit with Distinction for over 80 years. This means that Riverside can recommend up to 5 cadets per year to the 5 federal service academies.
- Riverside also offers a "Dual Enrollment" program. For qualified senior cadets, they can enroll and take online college courses while taking classes simultaneously at Riverside.
- Riverside offers a Georgia Driver's Education course for young men who would like to obtain their Driver's License. In addition, we also offer a Flight Program for young men interested in obtaining their pilot's license.
- The Academy offers a 4-week summer school program each year.
- Riverside is located one hour north of Atlanta's Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport. The Commandant's office can make shuttle arrangments for our cadets needing transportation to and from the airport.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Riverside Military Academy accreditations: SACS;SAIS;NAIS;SABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- John Bassett - Bassett Furniture
- Ira Middleberg (1966) - Attorney, Middleberg, Riddle & Gianna - New Orleans
- Luis Proenza (1962) - President, University of Akron
- Governor Felix Gonzales Canto - State of Quintana Roo, Mexico
- Tommy Prothro (1938) - former coach with the LA Rams and San Diego Chargers
- ADM. David McDonald (1924) - former U.S. Chief of Naval Operations (1963-1967)
- Judge E.J. Salcines - Retired Judge, Florida Appellate Court
- Mike Neveaux - Retired Chief Pilot, Los Angeles Police Dept. Air Support Division
- Jeffrey Weiner - Criminal Trial Lawyer-Miami, FL
- Peter Lyons - Retired Lawyer, California; Author
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Riverside Military Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
The essence of a private school education is that strong partnership forged between school, parent and child.
Two kinds of admissions are in use at American boarding schools: admissions with a fixed deadline and rolling admissions. We take a look at rolling admissions.