McCallie School Photo #2 - Through coordinate activities with our sister school GPS, our students interact with young women on a daily basis.
McCallie School Photo #3 - At McCallie, we feel it is important to grow the whole boy. Our expert coaches and trainers utilize our state of the art facilities to help our young men be the best they can be physically.
McCallie School Photo #4 - The office of college guidance works with our students to help them find the right fit for college and to make sure they are best prepared for the application process.
McCallie School Photo #5 - McCallie's academic programs go beyond merely mastering the necessary material. They excel at teaching students to think. McCallie does not teach courses or subjects; McCallie teaches boys.
McCallie School Photo #6 - McCallie believes that its ongoing Christian tradition builds a strong moral foundation and a sense of civic and social duty. By instilling a respect for, and understanding of, other religions and faiths, McCallie supports the spiritual growth of all its students.
- "One of the premier boys schools in the nation, McCallie has provided rigorous college preparation in a Christian context since 1905.
- McCallie is an achievement-oriented community that encourages boys to strive toward academic excellence and commit to a student-administered honor system.
- McCallie offers a coordinate program with Girls Preparatory School, AP courses in all disciplines, an extensive weekend activities program, 14 competitive varsity sports, and 39 different intramural tournaments...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Davidson College McCallie is unquestionably one of the finest boarding schools in the nation. It prepares its students to achieve excellence in every arena. Three things in particular distinguish McCallie from other schools.The first thing that. . .
- University of Virginia As an all-male school with a focus on building up men of character, McCallie offered me an unmatchable experience. In a single sex environment, my classmates and I did not feel constrained by a. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|McCallie School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12, PG||9-12|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||140 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||938 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Dress shirt and tie (Mon-Thur). School Polo (Fri))
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:10||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$100 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$51,450||$50,145|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||66%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Jim Daughdrill|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Hank Bramblet|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||67||23|
|Extracurriculars||Alpha Sigma Mu (Science Club), Amnesty International Club, Associated Student Body, Cadet Council, Christian Action Movement, ComedySportz, Crack Squad, Cultural Extravaganza, Egerian, French Club, Future Leaders of America, Gaming Club, Gender Issues, Gold Key Club, Griffey Mascot Squad, Guitar Club, Honors Band, Israeli and Middle Eastern Issues, Judicial Board, La Vanguardia (Spanish Club), Lets watch Friends Club, Lifers Club, Middle School Government, Modern International Issues, Mu Alpha Theta (Honors Math Club), National Forensics League, National Junior Classical League, Outdoor Club, Pennant (Yearbook), Petition Club, Photography Club, Prom, Resident Advisors, Resident Council, Saltatrix Dance Company, Science Bowl, Science Olympiad, Senate, Sextet - Senior a capella group, Shady Side News, Skeet Club, Social Justice Day, Spanish Club, SPIRITUALS, SROTC Competition Team, Stock Market, Student Ambassadords, Student Council, Student Vestry, TEPS, The International Club, Ultimate Frisbee, Veritas Shield, Vertical Rescue, Video Yearbook, Volunteer, Weight Lifting, World Affairs and Investment Club, Young Republicans|
Club or Organization:
Hackey Sack Club, Individual Music Instruction, Olson Fan Club, Science Olympiad, Simpson Club, Young Writers Society
Arts and Music Programs:
Color Gaurd, Middle School Mathletes
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
One of the premier boys schools in the nation, McCallie has provided rigorous college preparation in a Christian context since 1905. McCallie is an achievement-oriented community that encourages boys to strive toward academic excellence and commit to a student-administered honor system. McCallie offers a coordinate program with Girls Preparatory School, AP courses in all disciplines, an extensive weekend activities program, 14 competitive varsity sports, and 39 different intramural tournaments.The McCallie School's mission is to prepare its students for college and for life. The school is dedicated to the academic, physical, spiritual, and emotional growth of boys. It seeks to inspire and motivate them:
- To pursue excellence and take pride in one''s work and achievements
- To lead lives of personal honor
- To be responsible in family and personal relationships
- To manifest concern for the welfare of others. The McCallie Honors Scholarship brings to secondary education the prestigious merit-based scholarship traditions that have graced our finest Southern universities. The Morehead Scholarship at the University of North Carolina, the Jefferson Scholarship at the University of Virginia, and the A.B. Duke Scholarship at Duke University - all attract the most exceptional students from around the country to the Southeast. These outstanding students enrich the universities they attend, helping ensure the continuity of excellence within these schools. In the same way, the McCallie Honors Scholars enhance McCallie's tradition of excellence. A McCallie Honors Scholar will be an outstanding young man in several respects. His academic excellence will be demonstrated through both his academic record as well as his standardized test scores. He will exhibit exceptional leadership potential. And he will possess truly extraordinary character. Scholarship, leadership, and integrity - these are the defining characteristics of the McCallie Honors Scholar. In recent years, approximately 150 boys have been nominated annually for Honors Scholarships. All are required to visit campus during a Visitor's Day program or for an individually scheduled visit during which they meet current McCallie students and staff, tour campus and complete an admission interview. From the group of nominees, Honors Scholarship finalists are invited back to campus in late February to participate in Honors Scholarship Weekend during which final award levels are determined. Scholarships may consist of merit, financial aid or both. Levels range from partial to full tuition, room and board.
- McCallie School accreditations: SACS, NAIS, Member School of TABS and NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ted Turner '56 - CNN Founder
- Howard Baker '43 - Former Senate Majority Leader, White House Chief of Staff, and Ambassador to Japan
- Jon Meacham '87 - Editor of Newsweek and best-selling author
- Bill Brock '49 - Former Senator and Secretary of Labor
- James Killian '21 - Former President of MIT
- Ralph McGill '17 - Pulitzer Prize winning editor of the Atlanta Constitution
- Zach Wamp '76 - Current member of the House of Representatives
- Carroll Campbell '58 - Former Governor of South Carolina
- John M. Belk '39 - President of Belk Department Stores Inc.
- Olin Mills II '48 - Chairman of the Board, Olan Mills Inc.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for McCallie School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Learn how financial aid works in boarding schools.
The Association of Boarding Schools has a common admissions application form which simplifies the admissions application process.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.