- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 979 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $60,710
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $31,330
- Acceptance rate: 60%
- Average class size: 14 students
- Application Deadline: Feb. 1 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
Dress shirt and tie (Mon-Thur); School Polo (Fri)
AP / Advanced Courses
Amnesty International Club, Chess Club, Outdoor Club, Pennant (Yearbook), Prom Committee, Resident Advisors, Science Bowl, Science Olympiad, Senate, Spanish Club, SPIRITUALS, Student Ambassadords, Student Council, Student Vestry, TEPS, The International Club, Volunteer, Young Democrats, Young Republicans, Young Writers Society
Arts and Music Programs:
Individual Music Instruction
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ultimate Frisbee, Weight Lifting
One of the premier boys schools in the nation, McCallie has provided rigorous college preparation in a Christian context since 1905. McCallie is an achievement-oriented community that encourages boys to strive toward academic excellence and commit to a student-administered honor system. McCallie offers a coordinate program with Girls Preparatory School, AP courses in all disciplines, an extensive weekend activities program, 14 competitive varsity sports, and 39 different intramural tournaments.The McCallie School's mission is to prepare its students for college and for life. The school is dedicated to the academic, physical, spiritual, and emotional growth of boys. It seeks to inspire and motivate them:
- To pursue excellence and take pride in one''s work and achievements
- To lead lives of personal honor
- To be responsible in family and personal relationships
- To manifest concern for the welfare of others. The McCallie Honors Scholarship brings to secondary education the prestigious merit-based scholarship traditions that have graced our finest Southern universities. The Morehead Scholarship at the University of North Carolina, the Jefferson Scholarship at the University of Virginia, and the A.B. Duke Scholarship at Duke University - all attract the most exceptional students from around the country to the Southeast. These outstanding students enrich the universities they attend, helping ensure the continuity of excellence within these schools. In the same way, the McCallie Honors Scholars enhance McCallie's tradition of excellence. A McCallie Honors Scholar will be an outstanding young man in several respects. His academic excellence will be demonstrated through both his academic record as well as his standardized test scores. He will exhibit exceptional leadership potential. And he will possess truly extraordinary character. Scholarship, leadership, and integrity - these are the defining characteristics of the McCallie Honors Scholar. In recent years, approximately 150 boys have been nominated annually for Honors Scholarships. All are required to visit campus during a Visitor's Day program or for an individually scheduled visit during which they meet current McCallie students and staff, tour campus and complete an admission interview. From the group of nominees, Honors Scholarship finalists are invited back to campus in late February to participate in Honors Scholarship Weekend during which final award levels are determined. Scholarships may consist of merit, financial aid or both. Levels range from partial to full tuition, room and board.
- McCallie School accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS); The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS); Southern Association of Independent Schools (SAIS); Tennessee Association of Independent Schools (TAIS), Independent Boys' Schools Coalition (IBSC)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ted Turner '56 - CNN Founder
- Howard Baker '43 - Former Senate Majority Leader, White House Chief of Staff, and Ambassador to Japan
- Jon Meacham '87 - Editor of Newsweek and best-selling author
- Bill Brock '49 - Former Senator and Secretary of Labor
- James Killian '21 - Former President of MIT
- Ralph McGill '17 - Pulitzer Prize winning editor of the Atlanta Constitution
- Zach Wamp '76 - Current member of the House of Representatives
- Carroll Campbell '58 - Former Governor of South Carolina
- John M. Belk '39 - President of Belk Department Stores Inc.
- Olin Mills II '48 - Chairman of the Board, Olan Mills Inc.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does McCallie School cost?
McCallie School's tuition is approximately $60,710 for boarding students and $31,330 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of McCallie School?
The acceptance rate of McCallie School is 60%, which is higher than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from McCallie School?
McCallie School famous alumni include: Ted Turner '56, Howard Baker '43, Jon Meacham '87, Bill Brock '49, James Killian '21, Ralph McGill '17, Zach Wamp '76, Carroll Campbell '58, John M. Belk '39 and Olin Mills II '48.
What sports does McCallie School offer?
McCallie School offers 23 interscholastic sports: Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee and Wrestling. McCallie School is ranked as one of the top boarding schools for most sports offered.
Does McCallie School offer a summer program?
Yes, McCallie School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What is McCallie School's ranking?
When is the application deadline for McCallie School?
The application deadline for McCallie School is Feb. 1 / rolling (applications are due on Feb. 1 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2018
Bowdoin College/ Wheaton College (IL)
Class of 2005
Class of 2003
University of Virginia