5.00 (4 reviews)
171 Baylor School Road
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Chattanooga, TN 37405
Baylor School Photo #2 - A view of Baylor from the Tennessee shows (from left to right), Lowrance Hall, the music building, Ireland Studio Arts Center and the Roddy Performing Arts Center.
Baylor School Photo #4 - LEED certified Harrison Hall is a visible example of Baylor's commitment to environmental sustainability. Conveniently located on top of the hill directly across from the dining hall and student center, this male dorm features a comfortable meeting room with an adjacent stone patio and two spacious apartments for dorm parents. Each main living area has a student lounge with comfortable seating and a plasma television.
Baylor School Photo #5 - Over the last 19 years, Baylor individuals or teams, have won 125 State Championships. Our golf short game center is the perfect place for these champions to perfect the most critical part of scoring. The center features six stations for players to hit shots from inside 120 yards. It also has a 3,700-square-foot chipping green with bunkering and a 4,000-square-foot putting green.
Baylor School Photo #6 - Our proctored study hall is located in the center of campus and provides a quiet place for students to study.
Baylor School Photo #7 - This sweeping view of the Tennessee River Gorge was taken from the patio of Barks Hall, home to the Lower School and the Baylor Library, which houses 50,000 volumes (one of the largest among southeastern schools).
Baylor School Photo #8 - The Katherine and Harrison Weeks Science building's central location on our campus is a visible statement about the importance of science and technology at Baylor School. Completed in 1999, the 41,000 squre-foot $6.5 million building provides state-of-the-art technology with 100 computers, 14 laboratories, computer classrooms and an interactive SMART Board.
- Baylor was established in 1893 and has become one of the country's premier college-preparatory schools. Our beautiful 690-acre campus is located on the Tennessee River just five minutes from Chattanooga's vibrant downtown, and an easy two-hour drive from Atlanta, Nashville, and Birmingham. Find more informational videos here.
- Baylor's mission is to foster in its students both the ability and the desire to make a positive difference in the world.
- Dating back to 1916, Baylor`s Honor Code is the moral compass for our entire community. Students, faculty, and staff commit to acting with honesty and integrity.
- Baylor's most recent graduating class earned scholarship offers exceeding $17 million. Receiving 238 acceptances, 183 students from the class of 2019 have enrolled at 93 different colleges and universities around the world, including Cornell, Harvard, Princeton, Howard, and 13 Public Ivies.
- Baylor athletes are nationally recognized for excellence on the field and in the classroom, so it is not surprising that more than 100 Baylor graduates are competing for their college programs, many at highly selective schools like Stanford, Virginia, Harvard and Penn.
- The Cartter Scholars Program awards four new Baylor boarding students each year with scholarships ranging from full- to quarter-tuition. The scholars are automatically enrolled in Baylor's prestigious Harris-Stanford Honors Program, bringing them face-to-face with corporate executives, community leaders, and elected officials in order to hone their leadership and civic engagement skills.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Cornell University All seniors have to develop and complete a capstone project that provides service for the community. Apart from that because of a strict honor code you can leave you most valuable possessions out in the. . .
- Mercer University Baylor School helped me get to where I am today. Without the culture of success that Baylor produces, there is no way I would have been able to survive being a college athlete. It seems. . .
- Yale University Baylor has a unique camaraderie among its students. I have witnessed family relationships between faculty and friends that will last forever. These people keep in touch with me, and I feel like my connections opened. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Baylor School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 319 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Baylor School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||690 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||1083 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1277||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1150 - 1420||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$142.7 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$55,620||$49,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,019|
(Percent & average grant for boarding students only)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Jim Kennedy|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Virginia Anne Manson|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||17|
|Courses||Algebra II w/Trig Honors, AP 3D Art, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese , AP Computer Science, AP English Language, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French, AP German, AP Human Geography, AP Latin , AP Physics C, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP Studio Art, AP US History, AP World History, Biology Honors, Chemistry Honors, English I Honors, Geometry Honors, Honors Abstract Math, Physics Honors, Post-AP Chinese, Post-AP German, Post-AP Latin, Precalculus Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Bowling, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Diving, Fencing, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||56||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
ASL Club, Business Club, Chinese Club, Community Service, Cum Laude Society, Debate Club, Dorm Prefects, Economics Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fishing Club, French Club, Gender Committee, German Club, Harris-Stanford Honors Program, Honor Council, Inner Circle, Knitting Club, Latin Club, Mechanics Club, Model Congress, Model UN, Mu Alpha Theta, National Honor Society, Organic Gardening, Peer Support Network, Photography Club, Politics Club, Quiz Bowl, RAP (Raiders Against Prejudice), Red Circle, RESPECT Board (Community Service leadership board), Robotics Team, Round Table, Spanish Club, Spirit Committee, STAT (Students Today, Alumni Tomorrow), Student Book Club, Student Council, Student Newspaper, Sustainability Club, Tech Crew, Walkabout, Weekend Warriors Community Service, Wyldlife, Young Life
Arts and Music Programs:
A Cappella Club, Band, Dance, Drama, Literary Journal, Orchestra, Upper School Concert Choir, Yearbook
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Mountain Bike Club, Squash Club, Ultimate Frisbee
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Few schools can match Baylor's boarding life. The beauty of the 690-acre riverfront campus, renovated dorm rooms and dining facilities, an extensive extracurricular program, expansive green spaces, a dedicated student activities staff, and a network of involved and caring dorm parents create a nurturing environment.
- Baylor is a coeducational school, reflecting the school's belief that teenage students benefit from a coed learning environment. At Baylor, as in the world, young men and women occupy leadership positions and participate fully in the life of the school.
- The school's mission, to foster in its students both the ability and the desire to make a positive difference in the world, is the thread that weaves through all of our academic experiences, starting with our leading programs. Global Scholars focuses on learning through an international lens, while in Civic Scholars, the emphasis is on civic engagement. Students in our Scientific Analysis and Research Program work directly with top research scientists to tackle global health issues.
- Baylor's exchange program includes 10 schools in seven countries, giving students the opportunity to study abroad.
- Attending classes and living in dorms with peers who represent 16 different countries adds even more global perspectives.
- Training students to think like scientists is the mission of Baylor's Scientific Analysis and Research Program, where students do college-level work in a molecular biology research lab and engineering research lab.Presented by the science department's advanced research program, the annual Science & Engineering Symposium features student abstracts and collegiate-level work.
- Baylor has led the way in experiential learning through the Walkabout outdoor program for more than 40 years, offering students backpacking trips on the Appalachian Trail, surfing in Panama, kayaking on the coast of South Carolina, and trekking through India.
- Our afternoon curriculum includes athletics, robotics, engineering, community service, theater, dance, and Walkabout outdoor experiences,
- Whether tutoring underserved children in Chattanooga, working in an Asheville homeless shelter, raising money for children in Jamaica to attend school, or traveling to Jamaica to serve impoverished families and the elderly, students involved in the after-school community service program volunteer roughly 12,000 hours collectively per year.
- Built in 2018, the Scotty Probasco Academic Center is a $14 million, 33,852 square-foot space with flexible, tech-enhanced classrooms and multi-use collaboration spaces. It's home to most of Baylor`s Upper School English and history classes as well as a sunlit atrium that`s a favorite campus gathering spot.
- The Weeks Science Building is supported with a $15 million endowment to ensure the most advanced program possible. In the words of one teacher, "It allows us to have all the best tools" for bringing scientific and engineering theories to life: robots, apps, scoping devices, wind tunnels, computer programs, and much more.
- Baylor's campus is home to the Southeast's only freshwater research center: the Tennessee Aquarium Conservation Institute.
- In the Learning Center, located in the Scotty Probasco Academic Center, a student can work one-on-one with a trained tutor on math, English, history, foreign language, science, arts, organizational skills, effective study habits, and interpreting assignments.
- "Extra Help" is a block of time offered three or four times a week to all students. Faculty meet with students during this time for individualized help according to the student's needs.
- Every student is part of an academic adviser group that meets weekly. The adviser has three official roles: academic monitor, student advocate, and facilitator.
- Baylor welcomes and respects all faiths. We believe that faith is central to every person`s life and that the study of religion is an essential part of a complete education. While the majority of Baylor's students and faculty are Christian, all major world religions are represented in the school. Students have opportunities both on campus and off to practice their faith.
- Baylor's alumni office connects graduating seniors and college-age alumni with alumni for industry experiences through the Baylor Works intern pogram. Recent placements have included internships in education, finance, sports marketing, and non-profit management. Read about some of our notable alumni here.
- Baylor School accreditations: SAIS-SACS, NAIS, TAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Keith Mitchell '10 - One of four Baylor alumni on the PGA Tour, winner of the 2019 Honda Classic
- Natalie Bracket '09 - Coordinator, Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE)
- Tiffany Williams '07 - Founder, TILA Studios, a visual arts incubator for black women
- Michelle Songy '04 - Tech entrepreneur, Director of Global Dining with Amex
- Laurie Speed-Dalton '92 - Trial attorney and founder of The Speed Firm, PC
- Tene Hamilton Franklin '91 - Facilitator with the Human Genome Project
- Geoff Gaberino '84 - U.S. Olympic Gold Medalist in swimming
- Jamey Wheless '82 - Designer and Animator for George Lucas Entertainment
- Bill Dedman '78 - Pulitzer Prize winning journalist; NYT bestselling author of Hidden Mansions
- Arthur Golden '74 - Author of the New York Times bestselling novel, Memoirs of a Geisha
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Baylor School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.