Blue Ridge School
The Fine and Performing Arts Department offers artistic boys a creative outlet and others a chance to discover their creativity.
The Outdoor Program includes a climbing wall, ropes course, eight miles of mountain biking and running trails. It also gives boys a chance to fish, canoe, ski and much more both after school and on weekends.
Out technology includes three computer Mac labs that also run Windows, a laser cutter, a three-D printer and much more.
We offer a number of competitive sports including football, soccer, lacrosse, basketball, tennis, wrestling, baseball, indoor soccer and more. Theater, art and music are also offered as a 'sport' in the afternoons.
- "Nestled against the eastern slope of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Blue Ridge School has 750 acres of fields, trails, hills, streams, lakes and mountains to explore as students make their journey toward college and beyond.
- The school provides a college preparatory education for capable boys, grades 9-12, who are suited to a program that incorporates small classes, a faculty advisor program, and a predictable daily schedule designed to help students develop sound study habits and time management skills.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Western State Colorado University Over all, Blue Ridge School is a fantastic place for those who love the out doors. Not only is the Outdoor Program #1 in the country, but the campus is located on 400 acres of. . .
- Ferrum College Blue Ridge is a one of a kind boarding school. This gem is hidden back at the feet of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The campus is one of the most beautiful that I have ever. . .
- The USC Moore School of Business In my family nearly every male for the past eight generations has attended a boarding school. My father went to Woodberry Forest, his father went to Episcopal HS in Alexandria, and his father went. . .
- Davis & Elkins Blue Ridge is nestled into the Blue Ridge Mountains offering all sorts of outdoor activities.as well we are about 20 minutes from one of the most beautiful colleges Univ. of Virginia. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Blue Ridge School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||751 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||195 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1700||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khaki pants, jacket and tie)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$12 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,998||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||James H. Miller, III|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Matt Munsey|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||22||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Kayaking, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Mountain Biking, Orienteering, Riflery, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||13||23|
|Extracurriculars||Art Club, Chess Club, Choir, Christian, Diversity Club, Drama Club, Intramural Sports, Library, Outdoor, Robotics, Social, Student, Yearbook|
|Year: 2007 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|James Madison University||5|
|University of Illinois||3|
|University of Mississipi||3|
|Virginia Polytechnic and State University||2|
|Texas Christian University||1|
|University of Notre Dame||1|
|William and Mary||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1909 as an Episcopal mission school, Blue Ridge reorganized as an independent boarding school and adopted its current focus on all boys in 1962. The school provides a college preparatory education for boys, grades 9-12, who are suited to a program that incorporates small classes, a faculty advisor program, and a predictable daily schedule designed to help students develop sound study habits and time management skills. Sufficient flexibility is built into the program to allow instructors to work with the students' strengths and needs. A state-of-the-art learning center provides additional academic support as needed. Nestled against the eastern slope of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Blue Ridge School has 750 acres of fields, trails, hills, streams, lakes and mountains to explore as students make their journey toward college and beyond.
- LD types supported: Mild learning differences
- School accreditations: TABS, VAIS, NAIS
- Submit Review for Blue Ridge School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.