Miller School of Albemarle
1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Miller School of Albemarle Photo #2 - Explore methods ranging from traditional film photography and darkroom processes to innovative digital techniques. Study the history and application of the photographic process while embracing contemporary practices. MSA offers four levels of photography to challenge and inspire everyone from beginners to the most advanced student photographers.
Miller School of Albemarle Photo #3 - The Miller School of Albemarle athletic program embodies the spirit of the School`s mission by educating the mind, hands, and heart through healthy and balanced athletic competition and team membership. For well over a century, MSA student-athletes have competed with integrity, determination, and spirit, leading teams that honor the traditions and high standards of our institution in each athletic endeavor.
Miller School of Albemarle Photo #4 - Miller School of Albemarle, a coeducational day and boarding college preparatory school for students in grades 8-12 and post-graduate, opened its doors in 1878 with 33 students. Girls first enrolled in 1884, making it one of the nation`s oldest coeducational boarding schools. The school is situated 12 miles west of Charlottesville on a gently rolling campus of 1600 pristine acres.
Miller School of Albemarle Photo #5 - The baseball program places emphasis on developing the mind, making informed baseball decisions, the hands, the physical skills of throwing, catching, hitting, fielding, and running, and the heart, inspiring players to play with passion, confidence, commitment, and integrity. While each of these is important on its own, when fostered together, they enable the game of baseball to be played well.
Miller School of Albemarle Photo #6 - Our nurturing and controlled environment promotes physical and emotional well-being, an understanding of world cultures and values, in a safe environment. MSA`s historical tradition of implementing an approach of "Mind, Hands and Heart" stresses the need to learn how to accomplish ideas and projects in a sincere, heartfelt manner.
Miller School of Albemarle Photo #7 - The MSA Endurance team is a nationally recognized high school cycling, mountain biking, and distance running program. The team is a varsity sport and competes in both high school and USA Cycling events throughout the year. In addition the VAHS MTB Series, the team competes in USA Cycling road races, criteriums, and Virginia Off-Road Series races on weekends.
- Miller School of Albemarle is a coeducational day and boarding college preparatory school for students in grades 8-12 and PG. We have a 6 to 1 student-faculty ratio, a student population of approximately 170, and an average class size of 10-12.
- In addition, a one-on-one study skills course is available for those with a demonstrated need.
- This environment, where class sizes are kept small and personal attention is readily available, allows students to thrive.
- Several AP classes are available for qualified students, and our unique Design/Build program allows interested students to explore engineering and architecture while gaining hands-on experience.
- In addition to a healthy variety of academic courses, the Miller School of Albemarle offers a wide range of athletic programs.
- We are focused on educating the whole child the mind, hands, and heart.
- Please give us a call to schedule a visit. There is no better way to get a true feeling for our program than to visit in person and take a tour.
- After doing so, you`ll realize what makes Miller such a rewarding, meaningful, and valuable experience.
- In the meantime, we encourage you to explore our website at www.millerschoolofalbemarle.org.
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Miller School of Albemarle is listed among the top 10 schools with < 200 students (out of 100 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Miller School of||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||1600 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||170 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1316||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki style pants of any color, collared shirt, Shorts, Skirts (no more than 3" above knee), Dresses (no more than 3" above knee))
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$15 million||$19 million|
|Tuition international students||$54,000||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$28,000|
($28,000/boarding students, $11,500/day students)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 19 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Sam Hale|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Dee Gregory|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, European History, Physics I, Statistics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||21||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||5||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Debate Club, Drama, Engineering, Gardening Club, Media
|Year: 2013 - 2015||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Mary Washington||13|
|James Madison University||10|
|Pennsylvania State University||8|
|University of Virginia||7|
|University of California - Irvine||6|
|Washington and Lee University||5|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Miller School of Albemarle is a coeducational day and boarding college preparatory school for students in grades 8-12 and PG. We have a 6 to 1 student-faculty ratio, a student population of approximately 160, and an average class size of 10-12. In addition, a one-on-one study skills course is available for those with a demonstrated need. This environment, where class sizes are kept small and personal attention is readily available, allows students to thrive. Several AP classes are available for qualified students, and our unique Design/Build program allows interested students to explore engineering and architecture while gaining hands-on experience. In addition to a healthy variety of academic courses, the Miller School of Albemarle offers a wide range of athletic programs. We are focused on educating the whole child the mind, hands, and heart. Please give us a call to schedule a visit. There is no better way to get a true feeling for our program than to visit in person and take a tour. After doing so, you`ll realize what makes Miller such a rewarding, meaningful, and valuable experience. In the meantime, we encourage you to explore our website at www.millerschoolofalbemarle.org.
- Miller School of Albemarle accreditations: VAIS, NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Miller School of Albemarle
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 899 students 10.4 miles2132 Ivy Road
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.