Stuart Hall School
5.00 (9 reviews)
235 West Frederick Street
Staunton, VA 24401
Staunton, VA 24401
Stuart Hall School Photo #2 - Our campus community is one of openness, trust, and fun. Stuart Hall School fosters lifelong friendships in the context of an academically rigorous and socially supportive environment.
Stuart Hall School Photo #3 - Students at Stuart Hall School come from all over the nation and the world. Our community is built on mutual trust and academic inquiry, and we seek to develop the personal character, honor, and creativity of each member of our school.
Stuart Hall School Photo #4 - Our Math & Science Emphasis program allows students to engage with Math the Sciences on a deeper level through research, independent projects, and a schedule focused on Pre-Engineering, Pre-Med, or Mathematics.
Stuart Hall School Photo #5 - Fine Arts Emphasis at Stuart Hall School allows students to discover their passion and sends students to prestigious arts programs in the areas of Music, Visual Art, and Theatre every year.
Stuart Hall School Photo #6 - Stuart Hall School offers a competitive and successful athletics program that teaches students the value of sportsmanship, leadership and teamwork.
Stuart Hall School Photo #7 - Academic inquiry and risk-taking lay an important foundation to our curriculum. Students are encouraged to explore new courses and areas of study they hadn't previously considered. Because of our small class size, every student is known, supported, and challenged to grow as an individual throughout their time at Stuart Hall.
Stuart Hall School Photo #8 - Our historic campus is located in downtown Staunton, Virginia. Students enjoy the freedom afforded them by this safe environment; whether walking into town to study at a coffee shop or spending free time at local shops and restaurants, our students get a taste of the college experience early-on in the context of our safe, small town.
- Stuart Hall School, a member of (Episcopal) Church Schools in the Diocese of Virginia, educates the whole child -mind, body, heart, spirit - in a nurturing environment based on honor and respect.
- The school is coed day grades Pre-K - 12 boarding in grades 8 - 12.
- Personal attention encourages high academic acheivement, excellence in the arts, and comfortable student-faculty interaction.
- The campus is located in the historic district of the city of Staunton, Virginia- home to the Woodrow Wilson Presidential Library, Mary Baldwin College, the American Shakespeare Center's Blackfriars Playhouse, the Frontier Cultural Museum, Blue Ridge Parkway, and a variety of restaurants, coffee shops, and boutiques.
- Nearby Charlottesville, offers additional cultural and sporting events at the University of Virginia, and, within 2 hours' drive, Richmond and Washington, D.C. offer even more historic and cosmopolitan opportunities for our students.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- None (gap year) Unlike most boarding schools in the United States which tend to have large campuses in rather rural or otherwise secluded areas, Stuart Hall School has a rather small campus located inside a small town and. . .
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University Stuart Hall's diverse community and the sense of family are two of the many very important aspects that make the school unique. Small class sizes provide the opportunity for all types of students to. . .
- VCU My boarding school was actually co-ed during the academic day, but only girls boarded (though I think now the boarding has become co-ed presently). . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Stuart Hall School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||15 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||280 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1230||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1470 - 1950||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$5.5 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$48,000||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||25000||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Ann Snyder|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Samantha Hughes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, AP World History, Fine Arts Emphasis Diploma, Math & Science Emphasis Diploma, Robotics|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Golf, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||24|
Club or Organization:
Ambassadors Club, Class, E.L.A., Ecology Club, Honor, National, Outreach, Prefects, Social, Student
Arts and Music Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Stuart Hall is unlike other boarding schools in the United States. Outstanding preparation for college is a given, and our students go to top colleges and universities every year, including Cornell, UVA, RISD, NYU, The College of Wiliam and Mary, UCLA, Berkeley, and more. Our 15 AP courses and integrated curriculum are just a piece of who we are. What makes Stuart Hall unique are it's downtown location in a small city where you can walk to coffee shops or restaurants from your dorm room, its culture of kindness and service, and accelerated Emphasis Programs in STEM and the Arts. Stuart Hall allows students the freedom to be whoever they choose to be, and our school culture reflects that. Find out more today.
- Stuart Hall School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Juliette Gordon Low - Founder of the Girl Scouts of America
- Denise Wooldridge - Executive at Kraft Foods
- Annette Smith Parker - Vice President, Dickinson College
- Kelly Driscoll - Alum & Faculty Member of Rhode Island School of Design
- Dejon Mayberry - Speech Writer for President Gerald Ford
- Marijane Meeker - Publishes as M.E. Kerr, ALA Margaret Edwards Award
- Anne McCaffrey - Winner of Hugo Award and Nebula Award
- Submit Review for Stuart Hall School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 170 students 22.7 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?