Oak Hill Academy
Oak Hill Academy is a coeducational, 100% boarding school committed to excellence in education and adolescent development.
The mission of Oak Hill Academy is to inspire academic success, cultivate personal growth, and personify a healthy community while fostering relationships among students, families, and our school. We are a coeducational school that provides a college preparatory education in a small, structured, and nurturing environment.
Upcoming Events and News
- Social-Emotional Health Initiative - 07/23/2021 - Oak Hill Academy is in partnership with the JED Foundation to emphasize social-emotional learning and to build a climate of positive mental health and wellness on campus.
- Environmental Literacy - 07/23/2021 - Located in an ecologically-diverse region in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Oak Hill Academy takes full advantage of the outdoors through itshttps://www.oak-hill.net/blog/oak-hill-academy-wins-grant-for-environmental-literacy/ Environmental Literacy Program.
- Academic Support - 07/23/2021 - Oak Hill Academy inegrates learning support across the curriculum and provides additional study skills and learning specialist services as well as tutoring options.https://www.oak-hill.net/blog/oha-offers-learning-support/
- Technology Policies - 07/23/2021 - Oak Hill Academy recognizes the need for technology limitations to create an effective https://www.oak-hill.net/about/why-choose-boarding-school/learning environmnent while teaching responsible use.
- OHA partners with Jed Foundation to support student emotional health - 07/07/2021 - After several years of experience working with college campuses, JED has more recently launched a high school program designed to help schools thoroughly evaluate their mental health support policies and ...morepractices. To date, this one-of-a-kind, data driven JED Boarding School Program has partnered with only 5 high schools nationally, and Oak Hill Academy is pleased to be among them. hide
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Roanoke college I graduated in 2020 and I spent my junior and senior year attending Oak Hill Academy. I was active in many clubs and in the leadership program as well as a national honor society student. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Oak Hill Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||240 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||140 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khakis and Polos; free dress outside of class)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,000|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$25 million|
|Tuition international students||$53,848||$54,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Mrs. Katherine Giszack|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science A , AP Environmental Science, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Studio Art , College English 111, College English 112, College Pre-Calculus, College Psychology, College Statistics, College U.S. History, Honors Algebra 2, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish 3, Honors Spanish 4, Honors Spanish 5, Honors Survey of World Religions , Honors World Cultures|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Astronomy Club, Boy Scouts, Cheer Team, Chess Club, Cooking Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Leadership program, National Honor Society, Spanish Club, Yearbook Club, Youth Group
Arts and Music Programs:
Broadcasting, Equestrian Club, Music Ensemble, Open Studio Art, Theatre Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fishing Club, Hiking, Intramural Sports, Mountain Biking Club, Outdoor Running Club, Snow Ski Club, Swim Club, Trail Riding, Yoga Club
|Year: 2016 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|East Carolina University||10|
|The UC System||9|
|University of Miami||6|
|Penn State University||5|
|The Savannah College of Art and Design||5|
|University of Kentucky||2|
|University of Kentucky||2|
|University of North Carolina at Charlotte||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Oak Hill Academy emphasizes learning through a relational environment where students are well-known and well-cared for individually. OHA provides a positive and welcoming community while challenging students to grow and thrive, socially and academically.
- Oak Hill works with our students individually to guide them throughout the college application process and beyond. The class of 2020 garnered over $6.7 million of merit-based college scholarships.
- The Academy also offers a host of articulation agreements with colleges and universities to provide our graduates with additional options for college acceptances and scholarships.
- The Academy offers dual credit college classes, AP and Honors classes as well as a range of academic support and strudy skills courses.
- The Oak Hill Academy Learning Specialist works to ensure each student is being appropriately challenged and supported academically.
- The Residential Life staff professionals manage daily life and activities outside of the classroom; these are the adults who live in the dormitories to provide structure and guidance.
- Most OHA faculty and staff live on campus, further contributing to the feeling of family and community.
- Oak Hill has a long history of excellence since 1878 and has enrolled international students from around the world for over 60 years.
- LD types supported: Attention Deficit Disorder, Mild Learning Differences
- Oak Hill Academy accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Carmelo Anthony - NBA Player
- Rajon Rondo - NBA Player
- Quinn Cook - NBA Player
- Jordan Adams - NBA Player
- Cory Alexander - NBA Player
- Keldon Johnson - 2021 US Olympian
Profile last updated: 07/23/2021
- Submit Review for Oak Hill Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 174.5 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434) 823-4805174.58-12, PG180
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.