Oak Hill Academy
Oak Hill Academy is a coeducational, 100% boarding school committed to excellence in education and adolescent development.
The mission of Oak Hill Academy is to inspire academic success, cultivate personal growth, and personify a healthy community while fostering relationships among students, families, and our school. We are a coeducational school that provides a college preparatory education in a small, structured, and nurturing environment.
Upcoming Events and News
- Social-Emotional Health Initiative - 07/23/2021 - Oak Hill Academy is in partnership with the JED Foundation to emphasize social-emotional learning and to build a climate of positive mental health and wellness on campus.
- Environmental Literacy - 07/23/2021 - Located in an ecologically-diverse region in the Blue Ridge Mountains, Oak Hill Academy takes full advantage of the outdoors through itshttps://www.oak-hill.net/blog/oak-hill-academy-wins-grant-for-environmental-literacy/ Environmental Literacy Program.
- Academic Support - 07/23/2021 - Oak Hill Academy inegrates learning support across the curriculum and provides additional study skills and learning specialist services as well as tutoring options.https://www.oak-hill.net/blog/oha-offers-learning-support/
- Technology Policies - 07/23/2021 - Oak Hill Academy recognizes the need for technology limitations to create an effective https://www.oak-hill.net/about/why-choose-boarding-school/learning environmnent while teaching responsible use.
- OHA Alumnus at 2021 Olympics - 07/23/2021 - Oak Hill Alumnus Keldon Johnson at 2021 Olympic Games!
- OHA partners with Jed Foundation to support student emotional health - 07/07/2021 - After several years of experience working with college campuses, JED has more recently launched a high school program designed to help schools thoroughly evaluate their mental health support policies and ...morepractices. To date, this one-of-a-kind, data driven JED Boarding School Program has partnered with only 5 high schools nationally, and Oak Hill Academy is pleased to be among them. hide
- ...read more
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Roanoke college I graduated in 2020 and I spent my junior and senior year attending Oak Hill Academy. I was active in many clubs and in the leadership program as well as a national honor society student. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Oak Hill Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||240 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||140 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Khakis and Polos; free dress outside of class)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||9:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$5,000|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$5 million||$24 million|
|Tuition international students||$53,848||$53,975|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$6,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Mrs. Katherine Giszack|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||20||18|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Computer Science A , AP Environmental Science, AP Physics 1, AP Physics 2, AP Studio Art , College English 111, College English 112, College Pre-Calculus, College Psychology, College Statistics, College U.S. History, Honors Algebra 2, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish 3, Honors Spanish 4, Honors Spanish 5, Honors Survey of World Religions , Honors World Cultures|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Climbing, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Snowboarding, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Astronomy Club, Boy Scouts, Cheer Team, Chess Club, Cooking Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Leadership program, National Honor Society, Spanish Club, Yearbook Club, Youth Group
Arts and Music Programs:
Broadcasting, Equestrian Club, Music Ensemble, Open Studio Art, Theatre Club
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fishing Club, Hiking, Intramural Sports, Mountain Biking Club, Outdoor Running Club, Snow Ski Club, Swim Club, Trail Riding, Yoga Club
|Year: 2016 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|East Carolina University||10|
|The UC System||9|
|University of Miami||6|
|Penn State University||5|
|The Savannah College of Art and Design||5|
|University of Kentucky||2|
|University of Kentucky||2|
|University of North Carolina at Charlotte||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Oak Hill Academy emphasizes learning through a relational environment where students are well-known and well-cared for individually. OHA provides a positive and welcoming community while challenging students to grow and thrive, socially and academically.
- Oak Hill works with our students individually to guide them throughout the college application process and beyond. The class of 2020 garnered over $6.7 million of merit-based college scholarships.
- The Academy also offers a host of articulation agreements with colleges and universities to provide our graduates with additional options for college acceptances and scholarships.
- The Academy offers dual credit college classes, AP and Honors classes as well as a range of academic support and strudy skills courses.
- The Oak Hill Academy Learning Specialist works to ensure each student is being appropriately challenged and supported academically.
- The Residential Life staff professionals manage daily life and activities outside of the classroom; these are the adults who live in the dormitories to provide structure and guidance.
- Most OHA faculty and staff live on campus, further contributing to the feeling of family and community.
- Oak Hill has a long history of excellence since 1878 and has enrolled international students from around the world for over 60 years.
- LD types supported: Attention Deficit Disorder, Mild Learning Differences
- Oak Hill Academy accreditations: Virginia Association of Independent Schools, The Association of Boarding Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Carmelo Anthony - NBA Player
- Rajon Rondo - NBA Player
- Quinn Cook - NBA Player
- Jordan Adams - NBA Player
- Cory Alexander - NBA Player
- Keldon Johnson - 2021 US Olympian
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Oak Hill Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 180 students 174.5 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
(434) 823-4805174.58-12, PG180
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
June 30, 2021
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.