The Linsly School
The Linsly School Photo #2 - The Linsly School promotes academic excellence, inspires lifelong learning, develops future leaders, and emphasizes character development.
The Linsly School Photo #3 - The upper school prepares students for the rigors of higher education through a broad and extensive study in the core concepts required in all major academic disciplines.
The Linsly School Photo #4 - The family-like atmosphere at our school helps students grow and develop under the guidance of faculty members who know them by name and care about their future. Our strong academic program provides students with an emphasis on foundational skills, a challenging college preparatory curriculum, and a commitment to lifelong learning necessary for success in college and beyond.
The Linsly School Photo #5 - Linsly offers athletics for both Lower and Upper School students. Linsly's Upper School offers a superior athletic program, with more than 20 interscholastic teams competing in the Ohio Valley Athletic Conference
- "The Linsly School promotes academic excellence, inspries lifelong learning, develops future leaders and emphasizes character development.
- Located one hour south of Pittsburgh, PA and two hours east of Columbus, Ohio along the rolling hills of Wheeling, WV.
- Founded in 1814, Linsly School is the oldest college preparatory school west of the Allegheny Mountains. Linsly is an independent day/boarding school serving 468 students, including 105 boarding students representing 9 different states and 24 different countries.
- One hundred percent of graduates attend college. Campus activities include interest groups, community service, honor societies, yoga classes, cooking classes, and much more.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Linsly School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||7-12||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||5-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||65 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||437 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1250||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$23 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||70%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Mr. Robert J. Zitzelsberger|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mrs. Crissy D'Aquila|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||18|
|Courses||Calculus BC, Biology, Calculus AB, Chemistry, Government, Human Geography, Language & Composition, Latin: Vergil, Literature & Composition, Psychology, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||33||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
3D Printing, After School Art Club, Animal Shelter Club, Anime, Camera Club, Chess Club, Childrens Museum Club, Classics Club, Corridor Monitors, Environment Club, Eye of the Eagle (Newspaper), Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Fishing Club, Foreign Language Honor Societies, Forensics Club, Graphic Recording, Introductory Tennis, Irving Society, KaMakani Flyers, math league, North Hawaii Youth Coalition, Outdoors Program, Owlet, peer assistance program, Red Key, sea turtle research, Secular Student Syndicate, SEEDS, Shakespeare Contest, Ski and Snowboard Club, Ultimate Frisbee
Arts and Music Programs:
Chorus, Red Cross Youth Group
Did You Know?
- 100% of Linsly students matriculate at four year colleges or universities
- 55% of Linsly faculty members hold advanced degrees
- The oldest college preparatory school west of the Allegheny Mountains, Linsly emphasizes traditional values and character development
- Student to faculty ratio 7:1
- 24 faculty live on campus
- 48% of the faculty have 10 or more years of experience teaching at Linsly
- Resident students at Linsly live in a warm neighborhood community that consists of dormitories and faculty residences
- The ratio of on campus faculty to resident students is one of the best in the country, 3:1
- Student dormitories are literally extensions of faculty homes
- Residence life at Linsly provides a structured, safe and disciplined environment
- Resident students and faculty members eat a sit down dinner together every evening
- Resident students have mandatory study sessions every evening supervised by faculty members
- Weekends for resident students include fun, organized activities.
- Student dormitories are wired for internet access
- Linsly's 65 acre campus includes top quality facilities including:
- The Williams Visual Arts Center, home to art studios, a ceramics room and a complete photography laboratory
- Indoor Pool
- The Hess Center, a complete wood working shop
- The Stifel Field House, with regulation basketball court and volleyball court, weight room, aerobics room and renovated locker rooms.
- Boarding students enjoy leisure time in the Simmons Student Center
- The Linsly School accreditations: ISACS, TABS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- David Simmons '82 - Chairman and CEO of PPD (Pharmaceutical Product Development)
- C.J. Goodwin '08 - Current NFL athlete. Competed in Super Bowl LI with the Atlanta Falcons
- Jack Canfield '62 - Co-author for the Chicken Soup for the Soul series. Author of The Success Principles.
- James McNulty '60 - Retired CEO of Parsons Corp - an engineering, construction, technical, and professional services firm
- Ashley Battle '00 - Former WNBA Basketball Player. Currently working for the NBA.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Linsly School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG | 185 students 178.5 miles1000 Samuel Miller Loop
Charlottesville, VA 22903
Social media is an essential part of a boarding school's marketing strategy
Parents considering schools should read New York Times columnist Frank Bruni's book about college admissions entitled Where You Go Is Not Who You Will Be: An Antidote to the College Admissions Mania. Much of what he says applies in the private K-12 world.
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.