Shady Side Academy
The classroom environment is inquiry based and students sit at Harkness tables or in small groups. These settings encourage discussion, debate and collaboration. The average class size is 15 with a student to teacher ratio of 8:1.
The campus has a number of outdoor spaces that teachers and students use for class, to study or just enjoy time with friends.
The Benedum Visual Arts Center offers a range of 2-D and 3-D art electives as well as media arts classes. There are studios for painting, metal and wood working, ceramics, a dark room and an art gallery to display student work. In addition to classes, students come during their free time and boarders have an evening art club.
The Hillman Center for the Performing Arts features a 650 seat theater, a black box theater, numerous rehearsal spaces as well as housing classrooms for the band and choral programs at the Senior School. Each year numerous Shady Side concerts and shows are presented as well as community events through the Hillman Performing Arts Series.
The Senior School fields 30 highly competitive varsity teams in 17 sports for boys and girls. At the lower levels, the emphasis is on being active to encourage healthy choices, and learning the importance of teamwork and sportsmanship. Athletic facilities include the an ice rink, squash courts, a swimming pool, 6 athletic fields, baseball facility, track and tennis courts.
Shady Side Academy has 3 full-time college counselors who work as a team to help all students reach their future goals. They are dedicated to assisting students in finding best fit colleges and universities that will nurture their abilities and undiscovered talents, while allowing them to realize their career aspirations. 100% of students matriculate to college or university annually.
The small size of our boarding program, and the school's Pittsburgh location, are meaningful competitive advantages for students. Creating a Home Away from Home - a family-style environment with a culture of support - drives our student to residential life faculty ratio of 2:1.
5- and 7-day boarders live in two single gender residence halls. The boarding population is diverse with students coming from different regions and countries and with varied interests and talents. Students have access to the campus facilities after hours and the student leaders, Prefects, plan activities including feeds, holiday events, Tuesday Night Football and Wednesday World Cup.
On the weekends, boarders are offered a range of activities from trips to the mall to cultural and sporting events that take advantage of our Pittsburgh location. A sample includes kayaking, city tours including the incline, baseball games, plays, movie nights and sampling local of the cuisine. Brunch is on campus Saturday and Sunday.
- The Senior School (grades 9-12, optional five- and seven- day boarding program available) offers a rigorous college preparatory curriculum driven by a traditional liberal arts philosophy, where students begin to make curricular choices as early as their freshman year. A great range of opportunities exist for students to discover their talents and experience success. The program is comprehensive and allows students to learn through a variety of experiences while working closely with peers and faculty members in the classroom, art studio, playing field and even the dining hall. Every experience contributes to the learning and development of students. 100% of Shady Side Academy seniors matriculate to highly respected colleges and universities supported by the efforts of three full-time college counselors. Watch our "Day in the Life" Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8T3A81MhDiU
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Shady Side Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||130 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||460 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1912||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1740 - 2090||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$54 million||$17 million|
|Tuition international students||$49,925||$47,425|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$17,000||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 5 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Robert Grandizio|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Dan Usaj|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||6||17|
|Courses||AP Computer Science, Calculus AB , Calculus BC, French V AP, German V AP, Spanish V AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Year: 2013 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Pittsburgh||32|
|Penn State University||15|
|University of Pennsylvania||15|
|Carnegie Mellon University||13|
|Washington University, St. Louis||12|
|George Washington University||11|
|New York University||10|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Shady Side Academy is a nationally respected private school in Pittsburgh for boys and girls in grades PK-12, with an optional boarding experience in high school. Four age-specific campuses with extraordinary resources, teachers who actively mentor, a forward-thinking curriculum, a diverse and inclusive community, and a legacy of alumni accomplishments all inspire Shady Side students to high achievement in academics, the arts and athletics, and to meaningful ambitions in life.
- Shady Side offers two options for an enriching boarding experience. Five-day boarding allows those who live close by to spend time with family on weekends. Seven-day boarding is great for students who live beyond commuting distance and want to open themselves to further opportunities through weekend cultural, educational and service activities that take advantage of our campus and the city of Pittsburgh.
- At Shady Side, there is a balanced approach to education with a commitment to students' academic, physical and emotional development. Putting that approach into action is a caring faculty and staff dedicated to fostering a true love of learning. Small class sizes encourage a strong sense of community and Shady Side`s academic program provides a challenging yet nurturing atmosphere in which learning occurs at the highest levels.
- The broad academic program exists in an atmosphere that encourages inquiry, questioning, self-determination and creativity. Arts and athletics are an integral part of the curriculum. Music, visual and performing arts are intertwined at all levels of learning, and students are encouraged to explore an array of athletic options to find the sport or activity best for them. Extracurricular activities and clubs support students` diverse interests.
- Faculty members are leaders in their respective fields. Seventy-two percent hold advanced degrees, and they participate regularly in professional development activities. They believe in a traditional approach to learning while developing creative curricula and determining how to best meet the needs of individual students.Senior School students (grades 9 - 12) refine critical thinking, writing and analytical skills that distinguish them in the college search, while three full-time college counselors help them prepare for the next stage of their academic careers. The Academy enjoys a 100 percent college matriculation rate.
- School accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools//The Association of Boarding School
- Submit Review for Shady Side Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 5-12, PG| 1200 students 916.9 miles5500 34th Street West
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Bradenton, FL 34210
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
- Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 1386.9 miles294 Lustre Road
Lustre, MT 59225
- Grades: 6-12 | 250 students 723.7 miles315 South Grove Avenue
Owatonna, MN 55060
October 24, 2017
How to handle five basic challenges involved in choosing a boarding school.
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.