Culver Academies Photo #2 - Culver's athletic facilities include: golf course (nine holes), polo arena, rowing center, two ice hockey rinks, indoor pool with diving tank, 20 indoor and outdoor tennis courts, fitness center and free weight room, five indoor basketball courts, fencing facility, softball and baseball field, lighted football, soccer and lacrosse fields, and indoor/outdoor track and field facilities.
Culver Academies Photo #3 - Culver students learn to comprehend the world in many ways and there is no more authentic instruction in both personal and intellectual development than the study of visual art, music, dance and theatre. We offer studio courses in every discipline, from painting, acting, dance and music ensembles, to history and theory courses.
Culver Academies is a values-based, mission-driven, vision-inspired institution that has been developing courageous leaders of honorable character, who are global citizens and lifelong scholars, since 1894.
Located on 1,800 acres along the shores of Lake Maxinkuckee in Culver, Indiana, Culver offers a co-educational, residential experience beyond that of the typical boarding school for students in grades 9-12.
- Culver Military Academy’s Unique Military Structure - 05/13/2021 - Learn more about how Culver instills a sense of ownership in our cadets.
- The leadership training program for CGA - 05/13/2021 - Learn more about how we educate girls for leadership and responsible citizenship.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Rowan University Culver's leadership development programs make it unique among boarding schools. Students are required to enroll in leadership development classes and participate in the leadership system. For boys this takes the form of the military system. . .
- Loyola university of chicago There is a vast international student acceptance which allows you to learn other cultures. Is also a very good school because it teaches you the importance of manners and routines (this is because is a. . .
- Florida State University One unique aspect of Culver is the requirement of a senior service project for graduation. Personally, I made the most out of this opportunity and took a trip to Morocco to give aid to the. . .
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Culver Academies ranks among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 303 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Culver Academies||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||1800 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||832 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1245||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1120 - 1390||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||14 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$7,850|
(Additional costs and program fees vary. See website for details.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$440 million||$25 million|
(Additional costs, such as uniforms and optional instruction vary. See website for details.)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$32,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Steven Pietraszek|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||26||18|
|Courses||A Computer Science Principles, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language & Culture, AP Comparative Government & Politics, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature & Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP European History, AP French Language & Culture, AP German Language, AP Latin - Vergil, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Music Theory, AP Physics B, AP Physics C: Mechanics, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP U.S. Government & Politics, AP U.S. History, AP World History, Art History, Calculus AB, Calculus BC|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||28||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Diving, Drill Team, Equestrian, Fencing, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Polo, Riding, Rugby, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||47||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
A Capella, Badminton Club, Black Student Union (BSU), Boy Scouts Troop 209, CGA Rugby Club, Chinese Culture Club, Coding Club, Culver e sports, Culver Pipe and Drums, Discussing American Topics (DAT), Diversity Club, Docent Corps (Visual Arts), Dungeons and Dragons Club, French Club, Green Life, Human Rights Council, Junior Classical League Latin Club, Knitting Club, Leadership Committee for Africa, Living History, Math Forum, Model United Nations, Nutrition and Dietetics Club of Culver, Peer Coaching, Performing Caring Collaborating (PCC), Quizbowl, Rifle Club, Robotics Club, Roll Call (Yearbook Club), Rubik's Cube Club, Shotgun Sports Club, Sin Fornteras "without borders", Speech Team, Stamp Club, Student Ambassador Organization (SAO), Table Tennis, The Last Supper, The Narrative (Introduction to the Bible), The Quill (Fine Arts Magazine), Theater Tech, Usher Corps, Vedette (Student Magazine), Video Broadcasting Team (VBT), W.R.A.P. Women’s Rights Awareness Program, Women in STEM, Writing Center, Youth Community Organization (CYCO)
|Year: 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Indiana University of Bloomington||9|
|United States Military Academy (West Point)||5|
|University of Colorado –||5|
|Hobart and William Smith Colleges||4|
|United States Naval Academy (Annapolis)||4|
|University of Denver||4|
|University of Southern California||4|
|Princeton University; Boston University; Notre Dame University; Butler University; Claremont McKenna||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Culver Military Academy, established in 1894, and Culver Girls Academy, founded in 1971, compose Culver Academies, one of the leading college preparatory boarding schools in North America. We are located in Culver, Indiana, on a beautiful 1,800-acre campus on the shores of Lake Maxinkuckee. Enrollment is approximately 840 students, made up of about 57% boys and 43% girls in grades nine through 12. We admit students capable of pursuing a rigorous college-preparatory curriculum while becoming responsible citizens and leaders. Candidates are selected for their potential to meet Culver`s high academic standards and to contribute to Culver`s nationally-recognized leadership and extracurricular programs. The diverse student body includes representatives from 24 countries and 40 states. Consistent with the Culver mission of educating students for leadership and responsible citizenship in society, we believe what distinguishes Culver from other fine secondary schools is that while we offer academic training and extracurricular opportunities that are second to none, Culver is the leader in delivering practical experience and instruction in leadership for all students and emphasizing high expectations for personal responsibility and integrity. The leadership principles we teach and develop are those that apply to leaders in all walks of life.
- Culver Academies accreditations: TABS, NAIS,AMCSUS, ISACS, NCA
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Kath Lingenfelter - Television writer and producer (Westworld, Caprica, The Leftovers, House M.D.)
- Hal Holbrook - Oscar-Nominated Actor
- Frank Batten - Weather Channel founder
- George Steinbrenner - New York Yankees owner
- Bernardo Quintana - Chairman and CEO, ICA Corporation
- Mitchell Henderson - Head Basketball Coach, Princeton University
- Molly Engstrom - Two-time Olympian
- Jon Scieszka - Children's Book Author
- Dr. Sally Hodder - HIV/AIDS researcher
- Miles White - Chairman, Former CEO, Abbott Laboratories
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Culver Academies
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.