Lake Forest Academy
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 435 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $61,500
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $45,950
- Acceptance rate: 31%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
AP / Advanced Courses
- Lake Forest Academy is located on a beautiful 150 acre wooded campus in the northern Chicago suburb of Lake Forest. The campus features academic buildings, residence halls, a gymnasium and ice hockey rink, playing fields and faculty homes.
- LFA's mascot is the Caxy, which is ancient Greek for the croaking sound made by a frog.
- 82% of the Faculty live on campus and 75% of our faculty members have a Master's degree or higher
- Lake Forest Academy offers 22 Advanced Placement courses, 27 varsity sports, and a wide range of artistic options.
- 100% of our graduating seniors matriculate to college.
- LFA graduates attend the best colleges in the country, including Babson, Bowdoin, Brown, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, George Washington, Northwestern, Stanford, University of Chicago, UCLA, University of Michigan, Williams, as well as many other excellent colleges and universities.
- Many extracurricular opportunities are offered, including student-run clubs, newspaper, yearbook, student dances, and many trips off campus to places like Chicago and Milwaukee.
- Lake Forest Academy is a diverse community - we have students from all corners of the globe. 26% of our students come from outside the United States.
- The LFA student body represents 16 states and 33 countries.
- We are committed to making this education affordable. 31 percent of the student body receives financial aid..
- Important Traditions at LFA:
- Move-Up Day
- Move-Up Day began as a tradition at Ferry Hall in 1906, originally called Ivy Day, commemorating the annual planting of Ivy at the base of Smith Hall. Over time, this tradition evolved into its current form, usually being held the day before Graduation. Departmental awards and speeches are given, and at the end of the ceremony, each class is invited to "move up" and literally take the place that they will occupy the next year: seniors move to sit with the alumni, juniors take the former spots of the seniors, and so on.
- All-School Handshake
- At the beginning of each year every student, faculty member, and administrator gathers in the formal gardens and participates in the all school handshake. The entire school arranges themselves in a line around the periphery of the Formal Gardens and the Head of School begins by shaking the person's hand next to him. As he moves down the line the next person shakes his hand, and the next, and the next. The procession behind the Head Master snakes around until every member of the school shakes the hand of everyone else.
- The House Cup
- The House Cup Competition was established under Dean Colley Bell in 2004. The students are divided up into four houses (Lewis, Sargent, Welch, and Bird) and compete in various events throughout the year. The house with the most event points at the end of the year gets their name inscribed on a trophy that is located in Reid Hall, and the colors of their team are used in the student handbook.
- Lake Forest Academy accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jean Harlow - Actress
- Bix Biederbecke - Jazz cornet player
- Bradley Russell Weinberger, - Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice
- Bill Ayers - Political activist and professor at the University of Chicago
- David Bradley - Film director
- Bill Schulz - Panelist, writer, and producer on Fox News Channel's late night show, Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld
- Judy Baar Topinka - Former Illinois State Treasurer
- Frances Perkins - First female Secretary of Labor
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Lake Forest Academy cost?
Lake Forest Academy's tuition is approximately $61,500 for boarding students and $45,950 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of Lake Forest Academy?
The acceptance rate of Lake Forest Academy is 31%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from Lake Forest Academy?
Lake Forest Academy famous alumni include: Jean Harlow, Bix Biederbecke, Bradley Russell Weinberger,, Bill Ayers, David Bradley, Bill Schulz, Judy Baar Topinka and Frances Perkins.
What sports does Lake Forest Academy offer?
Lake Forest Academy offers 20 interscholastic sports: Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field and Volleyball.
What is Lake Forest Academy's ranking?
Lake Forest Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for Small average class sizes.
When is the application deadline for Lake Forest Academy?
The application deadline for Lake Forest Academy is Jan. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2011
University of California, Irvine
Class of 2003