Lake Forest Academy Photo #2 - LFA offers a variety of performing arts opportunities through courses, extra-curricular groups and the Arts Concentration. Some of the musical groups include Coax (rock band), VOX (musical theater), choir, orchestra, and jazz band. Students also have several individual and small group performance opportunities throughout the year.
Lake Forest Academy Photo #3 - The Lake Forest Academy school year begins with the annual All-School Handshake, whereby everyone at the school - faculty, staff, and students - shake hands with everyone else. It is highlighted by the community as one of their favorite school traditions!
Lake Forest Academy Photo #4 - An average class size of 12 students and a faculty to student ratio of 7:1, LFA provides a personalized and engaging learning environment.
Lake Forest Academy Photo #5 - LFA offers 27 sports during the three athletic seasons in addition to PE options such as yoga, cycling, ultimate frisbee, and fitness.
Lake Forest Academy Photo #6 - 100% of our graduating seniors are college bound, and they often have their choice of the best colleges in the nation. The college counselor to student ratio is 27:1.
Lake Forest Academy Photo #7 - Everyone at LFA (students, faculty, and staff) belongs to one of four houses - Bird, Lewis, Sargent, or Welch. The four Houses compete in a series of mini competitions throughout the year and the House that earns the most points WINS!
Lake Forest Academy Photo #8 - LFA has developed an innovative class schedule that rotates classes and allows for non-class time within each student's school day. This schedule adds an energizing twist to each student's school day and offers free periods to get a head start on homework, attend a club meeting, get extra help from a teacher or just hang out with friends.
Lake Forest Academy Photo #9 - About half of the student body lives on campus in one of five dormitories. Over 80% of faculty live on campus and serve as dorm parents, building strong relationships with students inside and outside of the classroom. LFA offers an extensive weekend activity schedule so students can relax with their friends both on and off campus.
Lake Forest Academy Photo #10 - The Cowart Media Commons includes a Mac computer lab, color printer, 3-D printer, small recording studio, and a large collection of DVDs and video games for students to check-out. The Media Commons is open for students to use throughout the day as well as during Study Hours from 7:30-10:00pm.
Lake Forest Academy is an independent, co-educational, 9-12 college-preparatory school for boarding and day students located on 150 acres in the Chicago suburb of Lake Forest.
Lake Forest Academy strives to embody in its practices and to cultivate in its students excellence of character, scholarship, citizenship, and responsibility.
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 435 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $61,500
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $45,950
- Acceptance rate: 31%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Definition of Terms | 2023 School Data
Lake Forest Academy
Boarding School Avg.
Grades Offered (Boarding)
% Students of Color
% International Students
% Students Boarding
Average ACT score
*National Avg. »View
Offers Post-Grad Year
Academics and Faculty
Classroom Dress Code
Average Class Size
* National Avg. »18
Student : Teacher Ratio
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
ESL Courses Offered
% Faculty with Advanced Degree
Summer Program Offered
Tuition international students
% Students on Financial Aid
Merit Scholarships Offered
Jan. 15 / rolling
Director of Admissions
Associate Director of Admissions
AP / Advanced Courses
# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered
AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP Chinese Language and Culture, AP Computer Science, AP Economics, AP English Language and Composition, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language, AP Music Theory, AP Physics C, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language, AP Spanish Literature, AP Statistics, AP U.S. History, AP World History, Formal Logic, Multivariable Calculus
# Interscholastic Sports Offered
Total Extracurricular Organizations
Year: 2018 - 2021
10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
New York University
University of Michigan
University of California (Berkeley)
Wake Forest University
- Lake Forest Academy is located on a beautiful 150 acre wooded campus in the northern Chicago suburb of Lake Forest. The campus features academic buildings, residence halls, a gymnasium and ice hockey rink, playing fields and faculty homes.
- LFA's mascot is the Caxy, which is ancient Greek for the croaking sound made by a frog.
- 82% of the Faculty live on campus and 75% of our faculty members have a Master's degree or higher
- Lake Forest Academy offers 22 Advanced Placement courses, 27 varsity sports, and a wide range of artistic options.
- 100% of our graduating seniors matriculate to college.
- LFA graduates attend the best colleges in the country, including Babson, Bowdoin, Brown, Carnegie Mellon, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, George Washington, Northwestern, Stanford, University of Chicago, UCLA, University of Michigan, Williams, as well as many other excellent colleges and universities.
- Many extracurricular opportunities are offered, including student-run clubs, newspaper, yearbook, student dances, and many trips off campus to places like Chicago and Milwaukee.
- Lake Forest Academy is a diverse community - we have students from all corners of the globe. 26% of our students come from outside the United States.
- The LFA student body represents 16 states and 33 countries.
- We are committed to making this education affordable. 31 percent of the student body receives financial aid..
- Important Traditions at LFA:
- Move-Up Day
- Move-Up Day began as a tradition at Ferry Hall in 1906, originally called Ivy Day, commemorating the annual planting of Ivy at the base of Smith Hall. Over time, this tradition evolved into its current form, usually being held the day before Graduation. Departmental awards and speeches are given, and at the end of the ceremony, each class is invited to "move up" and literally take the place that they will occupy the next year: seniors move to sit with the alumni, juniors take the former spots of the seniors, and so on.
- All-School Handshake
- At the beginning of each year every student, faculty member, and administrator gathers in the formal gardens and participates in the all school handshake. The entire school arranges themselves in a line around the periphery of the Formal Gardens and the Head of School begins by shaking the person's hand next to him. As he moves down the line the next person shakes his hand, and the next, and the next. The procession behind the Head Master snakes around until every member of the school shakes the hand of everyone else.
- The House Cup
- The House Cup Competition was established under Dean Colley Bell in 2004. The students are divided up into four houses (Lewis, Sargent, Welch, and Bird) and compete in various events throughout the year. The house with the most event points at the end of the year gets their name inscribed on a trophy that is located in Reid Hall, and the colors of their team are used in the student handbook.
- Lake Forest Academy accreditations: The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Jean Harlow - Actress
- Bix Biederbecke - Jazz cornet player
- Bradley Russell Weinberger, - Oklahoma Supreme Court Justice
- Bill Ayers - Political activist and professor at the University of Chicago
- David Bradley - Film director
- Bill Schulz - Panelist, writer, and producer on Fox News Channel's late night show, Red Eye w/ Greg Gutfeld
- Judy Baar Topinka - Former Illinois State Treasurer
- Frances Perkins - First female Secretary of Labor
Source: Verified school update
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Lake Forest Academy cost?
Lake Forest Academy's tuition is approximately $61,500 for boarding students and $45,950 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of Lake Forest Academy?
The acceptance rate of Lake Forest Academy is 31%, which is lower than the boarding school average of 60%.
Who are famous alumni from Lake Forest Academy?
Lake Forest Academy famous alumni include: Jean Harlow, Bix Biederbecke, Bradley Russell Weinberger,, Bill Ayers, David Bradley, Bill Schulz, Judy Baar Topinka and Frances Perkins.
What sports does Lake Forest Academy offer?
Lake Forest Academy offers 20 interscholastic sports: Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field and Volleyball.
What is Lake Forest Academy's ranking?
Lake Forest Academy ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for High ACT scores.
When is the application deadline for Lake Forest Academy?
The application deadline for Lake Forest Academy is Jan. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Lake Forest Academy Alumni #1
Class of 2011
University of California, Irvine
Class of 2011
University of California, Irvine
One of the most unique things about Lake Forest Academy are the state of the art facilities. Many buildings have been added and renovated since my time attending, and the campus truly is remarkable now. . .
Lake Forest Academy Alumni #2
Class of 2003
Class of 2003
Lake Forest Academy is a caring and nuturing place to learn. Each student is assigned to an advisor. Students meet in advisories. Advisors serve as mentors to students, monitor students' academic progress as well as. . .
Nurturing Futures: A Journey through Boarding at Haut-Lac School in Switzerland
Nestled in the hills overlooking Lake Geneva in the French-speaking part of Switzerland lies an educational gem that embodies a unique blend of academic excellence, cultural richness and a profound sense of community. Founded over 30 years ago, Haut-Lac International Bilingual Day and Boarding School is now home to both 600 day students and a maximum of 30 boarders from around the world.
What To Wear at Your Job Interview
Navigating job interviews can be stressful, but knowing what to wear shouldn't be. Our comprehensive guide covers the essential dress code tips for men and women interviewing at boarding schools. Make your first impression count with style and professionalism.
Navigating the Modern Maze: Emerging Challenges for Boarding Schools
Explore the pressing challenges facing boarding schools, from marketing difficulties and rising insurance costs to facility maintenance and recruitment of competent trustees and teachers. This article delves into these complex issues and proposes innovative strategies to overcome them.