La Lumiere School
La Lumiere School Photo #2 - La Lumiere has a state of the art Math and Science Center that boasts courses including: AP Physics I and II, AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Statistics, and advanced courses in Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, and Biology.
La Lumiere School Photo #3 - Our liberal arts curriculum provides a foundation in English literature and composition, mathematics, social and physical sciences, world languages, theology, ethics, and the creative arts, with a special emphasis on critical thinking and the mastery of oral and written communication.
La Lumiere School Photo #4 - The arts are alive at La Lumiere School. Our performing arts and fine arts curricula allow for the discovery of new creative talents and a more focused platform for the serious art student. Coursework and activities include painting, drawing, sculpture, studio techniques, art history, photography, videography, jazz band, concert choir, and music theory.
La Lumiere School Photo #5 - Our liberal arts curriculum provides a foundation in English literature and composition, mathematics, social and physical sciences, world languages, theology, ethics, and the creative arts, with a special emphasis on critical thinking and the mastery of oral and written communication.
La Lumiere School Photo #6 - As a community of learners, we engage in civil discourse, listen charitably, work to be responsibly informed, and encounter the world with genuine interest. Our faculty guides students as they hone academic skills and habits of mind. Beyond content mastery, our scholars develop a sense of wonder and an appetite for lifelong learning.
La Lumiere School Photo #7 - La Lumiere offers varsity sports across a variety of programs including soccer, golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, volleyball, crew, lacrosse, and cross country. Because of our small size, all students have the opportunity to participate in athletics if they choose. Our students are competitive both in the classroom and on the fields and courts.
La Lumiere School Photo #8 - Whether in the classroom, on the playing field, or in the community, students' days are filled with activities that are designed to structure their time, helping them make the most of their high school experience. La Lumiere offers elective classes, activities, and community service opportunities that play an important role in each student's day-to-day life at the school.
La Lumiere School is a private, independent boarding and day school founded in 1963, located in La Porte, Indiana. Our close-knit community is a rich mosaic of exceptional students, all with the common goal of personal excellence.
We pride ourselves on meeting each student where they are and providing them with the tools they need to accomplish meaningful success.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|La Lumiere School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||190 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||190 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1160 - 1380||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$61,335||$53,975|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Charlie Mugford|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mary Pickens Corsones|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Projects in Art, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Comparative Government, AP Computer Science A, AP English Literature and Composition, AP French Language and Culture, AP Music Theory, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||29||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Council, Academic Decathlon, Academic Super Bowl, Activities Council, Ambassadors Club, Big Brother/Sister, Creative Writing Club, Environmental Club, Faith Council, Gardening Club, History Club, Hospitality Council, Humane Society Commnity Service, Nursing Home Community Service, Photography Club, Prefect Council, Reading Club, Residential Life Council, Science Olympiad, Serviam Council, Ultimate Frisbee Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama Club, Fine Arts Council, Jazz Club, String Ensemble, The Movie Music of John Williams
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Focus- school yearbook, Yoga Club
- La Lumiere School is a private, independent boarding and day school founded in 1963, located in La Porte, Indiana. Our close-knit community is a rich mosaic of exceptional students, all with the common goal of personal excellence. We pride ourselves on meeting each student where they are and providing them with the tools they need to accomplish meaningful success.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 7:1, robust academics, a fully staffed student support center, and superb college placement, La Lumiere students, who come from diverse states and countries, enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exist at larger schools.
- Our campus is located just 10 miles from the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan and 60 minutes from downtown Chicago, and neighbors charming beach and countryside communities in both Indiana and Michigan. Boarding students are able to take advantage of this locale via frequent weekend trips to the beaches, towns, and orchards nearby, and are also able to take day trips to Chicago.
- To learn more about La Lumiere School, please fill out our online inquiry form or call us at (219) 326-7450 to set up an appointment and tour our beautiful 190-acre wooded campus.
- La Lumiere School accreditations: Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- John Roberts '73 - The Chief Justice of the United States of America
- Jim Gaffigan '84 - Actor, Comedian
- Paris Barclay '74 - Television Director and Producer
Profile last updated: 04/28/2021
- Submit Review for La Lumiere School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12 | 208 students 465.4 miles1000 Green St.
Atchison, KS 66002
The pandemic has upended our lives in ways we never imagined. Heads of school also have been impacted as they try to plan for the future. Concerns about enrolment, community safety, and the school's finances are just a few of their worries.
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.