La Lumiere School
La Lumiere School Photo #2 - We believe that character is best formed in a community founded on authentic relationships and trust. We structure experiences that encourage students to develop the agency, grit, and self-discipline to take ownership of their lives and the empathy, integrity, and courage to advocate for others.
La Lumiere School Photo #3 - As a community of learners, we engage in civil discourse, listen charitably, work to be responsibly informed, and encounter the world with genuine interest. Our faculty guides students as they hone academic skills and habits of mind. Beyond content mastery, our scholars develop a sense of wonder and an appetite for lifelong learning.
La Lumiere School Photo #4 - With a student-teacher ratio of 6 to 1, La Lumiere students enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exists at larger schools. Since 80% of our faculty live on campus, they are not only your teachers, but your coaches, dorm parents, advisors and study hall proctors.
La Lumiere School Photo #5 - Earnest exploration of faith is an integral part of education. We strive to practice and live out our own faith lives, even as we explore our beliefs. No matter what their religion, each member of our school family belongs. Together, we seek spiritual understanding through the pursuit of an active and authentic spiritual life centered on reflection, self-awareness, and hope.
La Lumiere School Photo #6 - The arts are alive at La Lumiere School. Our performing arts and fine arts curricula allow for the discovery of new creative talents and a more focused platform for the serious art student. Coursework and activities include painting, drawing, sculpture, studio techniques, art history, photography, videography, jazz band, concert choir, and music theory.
La Lumiere School Photo #7 - Whether in the classroom, on the playing field, or in the community, students' days are filled with activities that are designed to structure their time, helping them make the most of their high school experience. La Lumiere offers elective classes, activities, and community service opportunities that play an important role in each student's day-to-day life at the school.
La Lumiere School Photo #8 - La Lumiere has a state of the art Math and Science Center that boasts 22 Science courses and 18 Math courses including: AP Physics I and II, AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Environmental Science, AP Statistics, and advanced courses in Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Marine Biology, and Oceanography.
La Lumiere School Photo #9 - La Lumiere offers 15 varsity sports across a variety of programs including soccer, golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, volleyball, crew, lacrosse, and cross country. Because of our small size, all students have the opportunity to participate in athletics if they choose. Our students are competitive both in the classroom and on the fields and courts.
- Why La Lumiere? Because the compassionately competitive culture here is palpable, emanating from every angle of the experience. From the intimate dorms and small classrooms to the dining tables in the fabled Moore House, this idyllic atmosphere is the medium, but the most reliable and powerful source-the engine of this beautiful machine-is the tone set by the student body itself.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|La Lumiere School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||190 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||185 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$58,975||$48,850|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Megan Stiphany|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Brian Tonino|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Computer Science, Advanced Study in Art Studio, Anatomy and Physiology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Comparative Government, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, Biochemistry|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Academic Super Bowl, Community Service Club, Guitar Club, Jewish Club, Photography Club, Science Olympiad
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Portfolio Club, Choir, Drama Club, Jazz Club, String Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Spikeball
- La Lumiere School is a private, independent boarding and day school founded in 1963, located in La Porte, Indiana. Our close-knit community is a rich mosaic of exceptional students, all with the common goal of personal excellence. We pride ourselves on meeting each student where they are and providing them with the tools they need to accomplish meaningful success.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 6:1, robust academics, a fully staffed student support center, and superb college placement, La Lumiere students, who come from diverse states and countreis, enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exist at larger schools.
- Our campus is located just 10 miles from the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan and 60 minutes from downtown Chicago, and neighbors charming beach and countryside communities in both Indiana and Michigan. Boarding students are able to take advantage of this locale via frequent weekend trips to the beaches, towns, and orchards nearby, and are also able to take day trips to Chicago.
- To learn more about La Lumiere School, please fill out our online inquiry form or call us at (219) 326-7450 to set up an appointment and tour our beautiful 190-acre wooded campus.
- La Lumiere School accreditations: Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools, AdvancED
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- John Roberts '73 - The Chief Justice of the United States of America
- Jim Gaffigan '84 - Actor, Comedian
- Paris Barclay '74 - Television Director and Producer
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for La Lumiere School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
No shortcuts exist to filling the seats in your private school. It requires savvy, effective marketing. More here.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
What makes some schools really better than others? What makes them the best schools?