La Lumiere School
La Lumiere is known for its family-like community where everyone knows everyone. Each student is nurtured and challenged, and all students form bonds with friends and faculty mentors that last a lifetime. This type of community is an excellent environment for students to flourish.
With a student to teacher ratio of 7 to 1, La Lumiere students enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exists at larger schools. Since 80% of our faculty live on campus, they are not only your teachers, but your coaches, dorm parents, advisors and study hall proctors.
The arts are alive at La Lumiere School. Our performing arts and fine arts curricula allow for the discovery of new creative talents and a more focused platform for the serious art student. Coursework includes painting, drawing, sculpture, studio techniques, and art history. Theater productions vary each year and feature a wide range of material from original to classic productions.
The La Lumiere experience weaves together principles of character, scholarship, and faith. Whether in the classroom, on the playing field, or in the community, students' days are filled with activities that are designed to structure their time; making the most of their high school experience. In addition to academics, La Lumiere offers athletics, co-curricular activities, and community service opportunities
La Lumiere has a state of the art Math and Science Center that boasts 22 Science courses and 18 Math courses including: AP Physics I and II, AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Environmental Science, AP Statistics, and advanced courses in Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, Biology, Biochemistry, Marine Biology, and Oceanography.
The creative arts are alive at La Lumiere School. Our performing arts and fine arts curricula allow for the discovery of new creative talents and a more focused platform for the serious art student. Experience in the creative arts is owed to all students so they may grow analytically, nurture their creativity, and express themselves in vivid and distinctive ways.
La Lumiere offers 22 Varsity sports across a variety of programs including soccer, golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, football, volleyball, crew, lacrosse, cross country, and track and field. Because of our small size, all students have the opportunity to participate in athletics if they choose. Our students are competitive both in the classroom and on the fields and courts.
Whether in the classroom, on the playing field, or in the community, students' days are filled with activities that are designed to structure their time; making the most of their high school experience. In addition to academics, La Lumiere offers athletics, co-curricular activities, and community service opportunities that play an important role in each student's day-to-day life at the School.
- Why La Lumiere? Because the compassionately competitive culture here is palpable, emanating from every angle of the experience. From the intimate dorms and small classrooms to the dining tables in the fabled Moore House, this idyllic atmosphere is the medium, but the most reliable and powerful source-the engine of this beautiful machine-is the tone set by the student body itself.
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|La Lumiere School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Campus Size||190 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||230 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$56,175||$48,100|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Megan Stiphany|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Amanda Pietrzak|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Computer Science, Advanced Study in Art Studio, Anatomy and Physiology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Comparative Government, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP Music Theory, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, Biochemistry|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||14||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Decathlon, Academic Super Bowl, Community Service Club, Guitar Club, Jewish Club, Photography Club, Science Olympiad
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Portfolio Club, Choir, Drama Club, Jazz Club, String Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness Club, Spikeball
- La Lumiere School is a college preparatory boarding and day school for grades nine through 12, located in La Porte, Indiana. Our close-knit community is a rich mosaic of exceptional students, all with the common goal of personal excellence. We pride ourselves on meeting each student where they are and providing them with the tools they need to accomplish meaningful success.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 7:1, robust academics, a fully staffed student support center, and superb college placement, La Lumiere students enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exist at larger schools.
- To learn more about La Lumiere School, please fill out our online inquiry form or call us at 219.326.7450 to set up an appointment and tour our beautiful 190-acre campus.
- School accreditations: Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools, AdvancED
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- John Roberts '73 - The Chief Justice of the United States of America
- Submit Review for La Lumiere School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.