La Lumiere School
La Lumiere School Photo #2 - La Lumiere School is a private, independent boarding and day school founded in 1963, located in La Porte, Indiana, on an idyllic 190-acre wooded campus. At La Lumiere, we form character, cultivate scholarship, and explore faith in order to grow into more complete versions of ourselves.
La Lumiere School Photo #3 - We believe that character is best formed in a community founded on authentic relationships and trust. We structure experiences that encourage students to develop the agency, grit, and self-discipline to take ownership of their lives and the empathy, integrity, and courage to advocate for others.
La Lumiere School Photo #4 - As a community of learners, we engage in civil discourse, listen charitably, work to be responsibly informed, and encounter the world with genuine interest. Our faculty guides students as they hone academic skills and habits of mind. Beyond content mastery, our scholars develop a sense of wonder and an appetite for lifelong learning.
La Lumiere School Photo #5 - With a student-teacher ratio of 7 to 1, La Lumiere students enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exists at larger schools. Since about 50% of our faculty live on campus, they are not only your teachers, but your coaches, dorm parents, advisors and study hall proctors.
La Lumiere School Photo #6 - Earnest exploration of faith is an integral part of education. We strive to practice and live out our own faith lives, even as we explore our beliefs. No matter what their religion, each member of our school family belongs. Together, we seek spiritual understanding through the pursuit of an active and authentic spiritual life centered on reflection, self-awareness, and hope.
La Lumiere School Photo #7 - The arts are alive at La Lumiere School. Our performing arts and fine arts curricula allow for the discovery of new creative talents and a more focused platform for the serious art student. Coursework and activities include painting, drawing, sculpture, studio techniques, art history, photography, videography, jazz band, concert choir, and music theory.
La Lumiere School Photo #8 - Whether in the classroom, on the playing field, or in the community, students' days are filled with activities that are designed to structure their time, helping them make the most of their high school experience. La Lumiere offers elective classes, activities, and community service opportunities that play an important role in each student's day-to-day life at the school.
La Lumiere School Photo #9 - La Lumiere has a state of the art Math and Science Center that boasts courses including: AP Physics I and II, AP Calculus AB and BC, AP Statistics, and advanced courses in Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry, and Biology.
La Lumiere School Photo #10 - La Lumiere offers varsity sports across a variety of programs including soccer, golf, tennis, basketball, baseball, volleyball, crew, lacrosse, and cross country. Because of our small size, all students have the opportunity to participate in athletics if they choose. Our students are competitive both in the classroom and on the fields and courts.
- La Lumiere School is a private, independent boarding and day school founded in 1963, located in La Porte, Indiana.Our close-knit community is a rich mosaic of exceptional students, all with the common goal of personal excellence.
- We pride ourselves on meeting each student where they are and providing them with the tools they need to accomplish meaningful success.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|La Lumiere School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||190 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||190 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1160 - 1380||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$61,335||$53,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Charlie Mugford|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mary Pickens Corsones|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Projects in Art, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Comparative Government, AP Computer Science A, AP English Literature and Composition, AP French Language and Culture, AP Music Theory, AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Statistics, AP US Government, AP US History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Crew, Cross Country, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||29||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Council, Academic Decathlon, Academic Super Bowl, Activities Council, Ambassadors Club, Big Brother/Sister, Creative Writing Club, Environmental Club, Faith Council, Gardening Club, History Club, Hospitality Council, Humane Society Commnity Service, Nursing Home Community Service, Photography Club, Prefect Council, Reading Club, Residential Life Council, Science Olympiad, Serviam Council, Ultimate Frisbee Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama Club, Fine Arts Council, Jazz Club, String Ensemble, The Movie Music of John Williams
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Focus- school yearbook, Yoga Club
- La Lumiere School is a private, independent boarding and day school founded in 1963, located in La Porte, Indiana. Our close-knit community is a rich mosaic of exceptional students, all with the common goal of personal excellence. We pride ourselves on meeting each student where they are and providing them with the tools they need to accomplish meaningful success.
- With a student-teacher ratio of 6:1, robust academics, a fully staffed student support center, and superb college placement, La Lumiere students, who come from diverse states and countreis, enjoy a level of personalized attention that simply does not exist at larger schools.
- Our campus is located just 10 miles from the beautiful shores of Lake Michigan and 60 minutes from downtown Chicago, and neighbors charming beach and countryside communities in both Indiana and Michigan. Boarding students are able to take advantage of this locale via frequent weekend trips to the beaches, towns, and orchards nearby, and are also able to take day trips to Chicago.
- To learn more about La Lumiere School, please fill out our online inquiry form or call us at (219) 326-7450 to set up an appointment and tour our beautiful 190-acre wooded campus.
- La Lumiere School accreditations: Independent Schools Association of the Central States (ISACS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), Lake Michigan Association of Independent Schools, AdvancED
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- John Roberts '73 - The Chief Justice of the United States of America
- Jim Gaffigan '84 - Actor, Comedian
- Paris Barclay '74 - Television Director and Producer
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for La Lumiere School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?