Michigan Lutheran High School
615 East Marquette Woods Road
St. Joseph, MI 49085
St. Joseph, MI 49085
Tel: (269) 429-7861
Michigan Lutheran High School Photo #2 - MLHS has provided quality Christian secondary education to southwestern Michigan and northwestern Indiana for over 40 years.
Michigan Lutheran High School Photo #3 - Known for our welcoming student body, we are perfect for international students looking to make friends, get involved and receive peer encouragement in their studies and life.
Michigan Lutheran High School Photo #4 - Over 95 percent of our student body is involved in one or more activities or clubs, creating a stronger experience and skillset.
Michigan Lutheran High School Photo #5 - Quality, title-winning sports are a part of life at MLHS. Known for our competitive and respectful students, we are admired throughout the region for our athletes and fans.
Michigan Lutheran High School Photo #6 - With best-in-class, apartment-style dorm rooms, you are sure to feel at home. Each suite has 1-2 bedrooms, a living/study space and a private bathroom. Take the virtual tour at: https://fusion.realtourvision.com/22792
Michigan Lutheran High School Photo #7 - MLHS is dedicated to ensuring the highest level of faith-based education for all. We help students achieve personal, spiritual and academic success by educating body, soul and mind. We serve beyond Southwestern Michigan to students from Germany, South Korea, China, Spain, Mexico, U.S.A. and more every year.
"Michigan Lutheran offers a Christian education that my children can't get in any other high school in our area. There are small class sizes, and the teachers know all of the children well." - Recent MLHS parent
"Comfortable, God-centered environment, filled with people who want to see you succeed. Outstanding academics, excellent athletic programs." - Recent MLHS student
"I Love M.L. !!! I love the faculty! I love the Christian environment. Mr. Herbst is Amazing! He does an OUTSTANDING job marketing our school, he is wonderful!! " - Recent MLHS student
"What impresses me the most is the sheer love and dedication of its teachers...they have taught multi-generations of students, never losing that desire to equip teenagers for service in the church and community! God has richly blessed hundreds of students through these faithful servants." - MLHS alumni
"A great place to learn not only the skills you need for life but also for your spiritual life. I loved how every day you felt safe... A great school for being able to use your talents, whether that is theater, band, choir, sports, speech, etc. The teachers recognize students' talents and encourage using them to the glory of God. "- MLHS alumni
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Michigan Lutheran||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||7 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||119 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1170||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||20 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||11:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||30||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
(Includes Room & Board. Additional fees apply.)
(Additional nominal fees apply.)
|Tuition international students||$24,000||$53,848|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||May. 31||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Matt Herbst|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||30||18|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Chinese, Computer Science, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Environmental Science, French, Human Geography, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics, Psychology, Spanish, Statistics, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||18||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
A/V Tech, Digital Media Production, International Club, Lions Club, National Honor Society, Power Lifting, Quiz Bowl, Robotics Club, Rotary International, Student Council, Taste of Ministry
Arts and Music Programs:
Concert Choir, Drama, Jazz Band, Marching Band, Pep Band, Spring Talent Show
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Michigan Lutheran High School is dedicated to ensuring the highest level of faith-based education for all. We help students achieve personal, spiritual and academic success by educating body, soul and mind. We serve beyond Southwestern Michigan to students from China, Korea, Vietnam, Spain, Mexico, U.S.A. and more every year. We are among America's best in standardized testing, annually leading our region.
- Our average ACT: 25 (U.S. average is 21)
- Our average SAT score: 1166 (U.S. average is 1060)
- Average graduating class GPA: 3.51/4.0
- +95% of graduates pursue college degrees.
- 90% of students involved in extracurriculars daily!
- 75% of students involved in Fine Arts daily!
- "Home away from home" stepping stone to the independence needed for college.
- 90-minute drive from Chicago and a highly desired tourist destination on Lake Michigan.
- World headquarters of American appliance giant, Whirlpool Co.
- Moderate lakeside climate supports wide array of fresh fruits, vegetables and year-round activities.
- Specific courses in ESL support (English, Religion),
- Instructors adapt to ESL learning needs.
- +30 AP and dual-credit college courses.
- Latter course also examines U.S. college application process, personal statement for applications and intense focus on developing ELL academic writing skills.
- Recent college acceptances to University of Michigan, Penn State University, Notre Dame University, Washington University - Seattle, etc.
- Full Merit Scholarship available to superlative 11th & 12th graders.
- 2018 graduating class was awarded over $1M in college scholarships! Dorm students provided with host family stays during breaks if they can't return home (at no extra cost to the student).
- LD types supported: Language-based or Mild Learning Differences
- Michigan Lutheran High School accreditations: National Council for Private School Association (NCPSA) and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod School Accreditation (WELSSA)
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Michigan Lutheran High School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12 | 50 students 370.1 miles315 South Grove Avenue
Owatonna, MN 55060
- Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 1042.1 miles4 Lustre High Circle
Lustre, MT 59225
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 50 students 258.7 milesW10085 Pike Plains Road
Dunbar, WI 54119
(715) 324-6900258.79-12, PG50
- Grades: 7-12| 100 students 650.7 miles400 Sunshine Drive
Miller, SD 57362
In the United States and throughout the world, it is well-documented that even though boys score as well as girls on standardized tests, they are less likely to receive good grades, take advanced courses,and attend college. Learn how boys schools can help address these concerns.
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.