Michigan Lutheran High School
615 East Marquette Woods Road
St. Joseph, MI 49085
St. Joseph, MI 49085
Michigan Lutheran High School opened its best-in-class dormitory in August 2014. We are only one of six boarding schools recognized by the state of Michigan.
Known for our friendly and welcoming student body, we are perfect for international students looking to make friends, get involved and receive encouragement from their peers to excel in their studies.
Quality, title-winning sports are a part of life at Michigan Lutheran High School. Known for our competitive and respectful students, our school is admired throughout the region for both its athletes and fans.
Over 95 percent of our student body is involved in one or more activities or clubs at one time. We believe being involved creates a stronger student overall.
- "Michigan Lutheran offers a Christian education that my children can't get in any other high school in our area. There are small class sizes, and the teachers know all of the children well." - 2017 MLHS parent
- "Comfortable, God-centered environment, filled with people who want to see you succeed. Outstanding academics, excellent athletic programs." - 2017 MLHS student
- "I appreciate the faith-based education that my daughter receives and for the excellent academics. It is a blessing as a parent to know that she is surrounded by Christian values and influences as she grows in maturity in faith during these challenging teen years." - 2017 MLHS parent
- "I Love M.L. !!! I love the faculty! I love the Christian environment. Mr. Herbst is Amazing! He does an OUTSTANDING job marketing our school, he is wonderful!! " - 2017 MLHS student
- "What impresses me the most is the sheer love and dedication of its teachers...they have taught multi-generations of students, never losing that desire to equip teenagers for service in the church and community! God has richly blessed hundreds of students through these faithful servants. " -1978 MLHS graduate
- "My 4 years at MLHS were a very enjoyable and critical part of my academic, social and spiritual development. The classes and extra-curricular activities put me in a good position to succeed in college and to witness my faith. I have many fond memories of my time there and thank God for the excellent teachers, Christian friends, and opportunities to grow. " - 1989 MLHS graduate
- "ML is a great place to learn not only the skills you need for life but also for your spiritual life. I loved how everyday you felt safe... ML is also a great school for being able to use your talents, whether that is theater, band, choir, sports, speech, etc. The teachers recognize students' talents and encourage using them to the glory of God. "- 2009 MLHS graduate
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Michigan Lutheran||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||7 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||110 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1166||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Tuition international students||$30,000||$47,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Joel C. Cordes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||17|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus, Chemistry, Chinese, Computer Science, English Language & Composition, English Literature & Composition, Environmental Science, French, Human Geography, Macroeconomics, Microeconomics, Physics, Psychology, Spanish, Statistics, U.S. Government & Politics, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Football, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
A/V Tech, Digital Media Production, International Club, Lions Club, National Honor Society, Quiz Bowl, Robotics Club, Rotary International, Student Council, Taste of Ministry
Arts and Music Programs:
Concert Choir, Drama, Jazz Band, Marching Band, Pep Band, Spring Talent Show
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Michigan Lutheran High School is dedicated to ensuring the highest level of faith-based education for all. We help students achieve personal, spiritual and academic success by educating body, soul and mind. We serve beyond Southwestern Michigan to students from Germany, South Korea, China, Spain, Mexico, U.S.A. and more every year.
- Our students are among the nation's best in standardized testing and annually lead our region.
- Our average ACT: 24.9 (U.S. average ACT is 20.9)
- Our average SAT score: 1144
- Average GPA of the 2017 graduating class: 3.51/4.0
- +95% of graduates pursue college degrees.
- An intimate school setting means wide-open opportunity to collaborate in multiple team sports and extracurriculars.
- Approximately 70% of students are involved in a Fine Arts activity every day!
- Beautiful facilities, caring dorm supervisors (who are also teachers), ample access to organized study and additional amenities provide a "home away from home" stepping stone to the independence needed for college.
- MLHS is blessed to call home one of the American Midwest's most attractive settings: St. Joseph, Michigan. Our town and surrounding communities are among the most beautiful and safest places in the U.S.
- We are a 90-minute drive from Chicago and a highly desired tourist destination with Lake Michigan as "our backyard."
- Our area contains the world headquarters of American appliance giant, Whirlpool Co., and boasts a climate supporting a wide array of fresh fruits, vegetables and year-round activities.
- Access to a full-time international student advisor for adjusting to academic, cultural and social changes.
- Specific courses in ESL support (English, Religion),
- All instructors adapt to the learning needs of our English language learners.
- AP and dual-credit college courses for qualified students. Many are offered using an online platform with on-campus instructor support.
- SAT Prep course (for all junior students) and TOEFL Prep (international).
- Latter course also examines the US college application process, guides students through writing a personal statement for college applications and provides a more intense focus on developing the ELL's academic writing skills
- Our guidance counselors are very familiar with the college application/admissions process in the U.S. and the unique needs of the international student making the transfer to post-secondary education.
- Recent college acceptances to University of Michigan, Penn State University, Notre Dame University, Washington University - Seattle, etc.
- Discount program for students who have been with us for a year, taking into consideration leadership skills and/or academic achievements.
- 2016 graduating class was awarded over $500,000 in college scholarships.
- Dorm students are not required to "go home" during breaks. Michigan Lutheran High School provides host family stays during those times - at no extra cost to the student.
- School accreditations: National Council for Private School Association (NCPSA) and Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod School Accreditation (WELSSA)
- Submit Review for Michigan Lutheran High School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 6-12 | 250 students 370.2 miles315 South Grove Avenue
Owatonna, MN 55060
- Grades: 9-12 | 25 students 1042.2 miles294 Lustre Road
Lustre, MT 59225
- Grades: 7-12| 100 students 650.8 miles400 Sunshine Drive
Miller, SD 57362
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.