Fishburne Military School
With a college preparatory curriculum administered in a structured, small and caring environment, FMS boasts a 100% college-acceptance rate.
Through social outlets such as dances, mixers and more, Fishburne Military School provides positive social experiences for tomorrow's leaders.
As an Army JROTC Honor Unit with Distinction, Fishburne Military School may nominate qualified cadets for admission to any of the US Service Academies.
FMS offers thirteen varsity sports to provide young men with athletic opportunities that may not exist for them at larger schools.
Fishburne proudly sponsors chapters of the National Honor Society and Nation Junior Honor society to foster and promote academic excellence and pride.
Fishburne Military School's Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) initiative is providing young men with academic opportunities that are hands-on, fun and constructive.
At Fishburne, young men learn discipline and leadership skills that will serve them throughout their lives.
Newly renovated labs and classrooms, along with state-of-the-art equipment, provide Fishburne cadets with a ladder to success unlike any other.
- "Fishburne Military School has been helping young men in grades 7 - 12 live up to their full potential for over 135 years through individualized attention both in and out of the classroom, a small student to teacher ratio of 8 to 1 and by building confidence and character through scholastic and extracurricular activities.
- Enrolling fewer than 200 students, Fishburne Military School takes the potential in a young man and helps turn it into achievement.
- The Corps of Cadets at Fishburne Military School is recognized by the US Army JROTC Cadet Command as an Honor Unit With Distinction.".
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- North Carolina State University One aspect that Fishburne fostered was brotherhood. Every guy there was your brother. You leaned on your brothers and faced adversity together and that is what made that school and the relationships that I built. . .
- West virginia university Army JROTC which has held highest level of distinction for over 20 years due to stellar scores on annual RFI. Outstanding teachers and educational experience. Amazing alumni support. Small classroom and. . .
- UNC It is difficult for me to answer this question concisely, as there are numerous things unique to Fishburne Military School. I attended Fishburne during the mid 80's, however what was relevant to me then remains. . .
- College of William and Mary Fishburne is small and compact. All classes are small so that everybody knows everybody else. At present the entire campus contains a total of five buildings which includes the Alumni House. It. . .
- UNC Charlotte It is a small school, and after just a few weeks everyone pretty much will know everyone else, or at least their last name. That knowledge includes faculty and staff knowing each cadet, even. . .
Top 5 Placements
Listed among the top 5 military schools (out of 19 military schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Fishburne Military||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||9 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||170 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Less than once a month||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal
|Average Class Size||10 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Mr. Cedrick Broadhurst|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Joan M. Byrne|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||15||23|
|Extracurriculars||Academic Bowl, Band, Boy Scouts, Color Guard, CyberPatriot, Drill Team, JV Football, JV Soccer, Key Club, National Honor Society, Raiders, Robotics Club, Rocketry Club, Student Newspaper, Yearbook|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Fishburne Military School has been helping young men in grades 7 - 12 live up to their full potential for over 134 years through individualized attention both in and out of the classroom, a small student to teacher ratio of 8 to 1 and by building confidence and character through scholastic and extracurricular activities.
- Enrolling fewer than 200 students, Fishburne Military School takes the potential in a young man and helps turn it into achievement. Visit our web site for information or to schedule a tour
- Fishburne Military School's Corps of Cadets is designated as a US Army JROTC Honor Unit with Distinction..
- Fishburne is situated in the picturesque mountains of Virginia in the City of Waynesboro just an hour and a half from Richmond, VA.
- Graduates from Fishbure Military School become leaders in their chosen industry and/or career and in the communities in which they live. One of our most well known alumni is Virginia Governor Gerald L. Baliles.
- School accreditations: SACS, VAIS, AdvancED, TABS, AMCSUS
Submit Review for Fishburne Military School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
July 20, 2017
American boarding schools face many challenges in the 21st century. We look at five of these and offer advice.
July 17, 2017
The media loves to focus on things like elitism and how boarding schools are just for troubled kids. Let's look at the truth.
June 28, 2017
Read frequently asked questions on a range of boarding school related topics.