Woodberry Forest School
5.00 (2 reviews)
241 Woodberry Station
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
- Founded in 1889, Woodberry Forest School is an all-boarding community for boys in grades nine through twelve.
- A Woodberry education, centered around a century-old, student-run honor system, emphasizes intellectual thoroughness and moral integrity.
- Our 1200-acre campus features state-of-the-art facilities and technology for academic, athletic, and artistic endeavors.
- All students participate in an extensive leadership development program. Our school is located in scenic Madison County, Virginia, a short drive from Washington, D.C., Charlottesville, or Richmond.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Washington and Lee University The thing I liked best about Woodberry was the incredible friends I made. Thirteen years after I graduated they're still my best friends. Living together on a dorm was a really cool experience and let. . .
- Brown University WFS was pretty unique in that it was an all boys school. This aspect of the school really scares off potential students, but I can't even remember the number of classmates I had my. . .
Top 20 Placements
Woodberry Forest School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 319 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Woodberry Forest||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||1200 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||394 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1090 - 1310||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Collared shirts and slacks)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||40||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$332 million|
(unaudited as of May 2018 ($739,240 per student))
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,275||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Scott Schamberger|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||24|
|Extracurriculars||Bicycling Club, Book Club, Boy Scouts, Cheerleaders, Choir, Computer Club, Debate Club, Pilates, Recreational Running, Recreational Skiing and Snowboarding, Rod and Gun Club, Sol (Poetry), Student Council, Student Newspaper, SWAT (Dance Troupe), Technical Theatre, The Academic Team, The Dozen, The Mentor Program, The Talon (lit mag), Theatre Ensemble, Vocal Ensemble, Woodberry Christian Fellowship, Yoga|
Club or Organization:
|Year: 2014 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Virginia||36|
|Sewanee: The University of the South||27|
|The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||24|
|University of South Carolina||21|
|Washington and Lee University||16|
|North Carolina State University||12|
|The University of Alabama||12|
|Southern Methodist University||11|
|University of Georgia||11|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Woodberry Forest School accreditations: Accredited by Southern Assoication of Colleges and Schools and Virginia Association of Independent Schools. Member College Board, NACAC, and NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Woodberry Forest School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Graduates of boarding schools end up doing all sorts of things. Many of them become distinguished leaders in their chosen fields.
This cry is heard throughout the land as parents try desperately to compare one boarding school against another.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.