Woodberry Forest School
5.00 (2 reviews)
Tel: (888) 798-9371
241 Woodberry Station
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
Woodberry Forest, VA 22989
- Founded in 1889, Woodberry Forest School is an all-boarding community for boys in grades nine through twelve.
- A Woodberry education, centered around a century-old, student-run honor system, emphasizes intellectual thoroughness and moral integrity.
- Our 1200-acre campus features state-of-the-art facilities and technology for academic, athletic, and artistic endeavors.
- All students participate in an extensive leadership development program. Our school is located in scenic Madison County, Virginia, a short drive from Washington, D.C., Charlottesville, or Richmond.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Washington and Lee University The thing I liked best about Woodberry was the incredible friends I made. Thirteen years after I graduated they're still my best friends. Living together on a dorm was a really cool experience and let. . .
- Brown University WFS was pretty unique in that it was an all boys school. This aspect of the school really scares off potential students, but I can't even remember the number of classmates I had my. . .
Top 20 Placements
Woodberry Forest School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 310 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Woodberry Forest||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Religious Affiliation||Non-denom. / Christian||Non-denominational|
|Campus Size||1200 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||399 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1255||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1190 - 1390||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Collared shirts and slacks)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$331 million||$22 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$35,963||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Scott Schamberger|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cycling, Diving, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||34||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission Ambassadors, Boy Scouts, Caucus, Chess Club, Dance Club, Drone Club, Environmental Club, Fly-Fishing Club, Gay Straight Alliance, International Forum, Investment Club, Lemon Tree Film Club, math league, Model United Nations, Outdoors Club, Paintball Club, Peer Leadership Council, Robotics Club, Rod and Gun Club, Ropes Course Instructors, Rubik's Cube Club, Science Olympiad, Speech and Debate, Student Bands, Student Conservation Committee, The Fir Tree Yearbook, The Oracle, The Talon, Vegetable Gardening Initiative, Woodberry Christian Fellowship, Woodberry Forest School Production Network, Young Democrats, Young Libertarians, Young Republicans
|Year: 2015 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Virginia||35|
|Sewanee: The University of the South||26|
|The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill||19|
|Washington and Lee University||19|
|University of South Carolina - Columbia||16|
|Texas Christian University||14|
|Southern Methodist University||12|
|The University of Alabama||11|
|University of Georgia||11|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Woodberry Forest School accreditations: Accredited by Southern Assoication of Colleges and Schools and Virginia Association of Independent Schools. Member College Board, NACAC, and NAIS
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Woodberry Forest School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.