Saint Mary's School
Saint Mary's School Photo #2 - Saint Mary's School is dedicated to the academic excellence and personal achievement of girls with a mission to prepare girls for college and life. The school's academic program focuses on giving girls what they need to grow as lifelong learners, building on the Habits of a Lifelong Learner: critical thinking, communication and character.
Saint Mary's School Photo #3 - Students enjoy an art class in one of Saint Mary's art studios on campus. Saint Mary's offers an extensive arts program comprised of music, dance, dramatic arts, and visual arts.
Saint Mary's School Photo #4 - Saint Mary's School offers a historic, 23-acre campus in the heart of Raleigh, North Carolina, and is only minutes from the renowned Research Triangle. Its unique location provides a vibrant 24/7 campus with unlimited opportunities for learning both on and off campus.
Saint Mary's School Photo #5 - At Saint Mary's School, we know girls and we know what they need to learn, grow and thrive. Our 8:1 student-faculty ratio allows for quality time with teachers and advisors and means every girl is known and valued.
Saint Mary's School Photo #6 - Saint Mary's athletics program offers 11 sports - tennis, field hockey, volleyball, soccer, basketball, cross country, softball, lacrosse, golf, swimming, track and field.
Saint Mary's School Photo #7 - In keeping with the school's Episcopal heritage, Saint Mary's students regularly participate in community service opportunities - from Habitat for Humanity projects pictured here, to the United Way annual MLK Day of Service, to volunteering their time at local schools and nearby service agencies .
Saint Mary's School Photo #8 - Students with their teacher in the newly renovated Sarah Graham Kenan Library. This inviting space is the center of intellectual life for students and faculty. It serves as a "creative commons" where students work collaboratively with classmates, work one-on-one with teachers and tutors or work individually to research assignments or just enjoy a good book or magazine.
- Saint Mary's School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school dedicated to academic excellence and personal achievement for girls in grades 9-12.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Saint Mary's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||23 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||276 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$23.9 million||$18 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$27,240||$23,450|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kim Slade|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Emily Smith|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|Courses||Art Portfolio , Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, Computer Science, English: Language, English: Literature, Environmental Science, French Language and Culture, Latin, Physics , Psychology , Spanish Language and Culture, Statistics, United States Government and Politics, United States History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||15|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||52||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
"Planting Seeds" program with local elementary school, 85 Broads @ Choate, Any Where Autism Relates to Everyone (AWARE), Beacon - Senior Honorary Leadership Club, Bellacanto (coed a cappella), Boarding and Day Prefects, Capoeira, Choate Harry Potter Club, Choate International and Global Assistance, Choate Italian Awareness Organization, Choate Mentoring Program, Christ School Blood Drive, Climbing Wall, Community Service Club, Cooking Club, Cross-Country, Day Council, Dorm Prefects, Drama Club, Environment Club, Fall Play, Federal Reserve Challenge, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Film Club, Food Club, French Club, Galax Leaf(Newspaper), Gym Membership, Health Adventure, High Fidelity (coed a cappella), Merit Program, Pennington Singers, Pennington Sports Network, Pit Band, Residential Proctors, Spring Play, String Band, Swim Club, Hiking, Winter Baseball, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Admissions Ambassadors, Chamber, Chorale, Echo - Senior Washtub Singing Group, Fellowship, Flute Choir, Golf Club, Senior Internship Program, Winter Golf, Winter Lacrosse
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2014 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|North Carolina State University||28|
|Wake Forest University||15|
|East Carolina University||14|
|University of North Carolina at Wilmington||11|
|George Washington University||7|
|Washington and Lee||5|
- Saint Mary's School in Raleigh, North Carolina, is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school dedicated to academic excellence and personal achievement for girls in grades 9-12. Founded in 1842, the historic, residential 23-acre campus is within easy driving distance of world-renowned Research Triangle Park and the Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Saint Mary's School is the fourth oldest girls' boarding school in the United States.Since our inception, Saint Mary's has been dedicated to the academic excellence and personal achievement of our students. We look at life academically, socially, and spiritually. Our integrated, hands-on academic program is demanding. Our leadership and life skills curriculum creates responsible citizens and community ambassadors. Outside the classroom, we offer dozens of sports, clubs, activities, and volunteer opportunities. In addition, our Episcopal tradition inspires students to grow as young women of integrity and honor.Saint Mary's offers a comprehensive range of programming and opportunities to prepare our students to compete in college and in today's complex and fast-changing global world. Saint Mary's School offers 18 Advanced Placement courses and a full complement of honors courses, competition in 11 sports and on 16 teams, a comprehensive fine arts program, leadership education, advising, and co-curricular programs, a wireless campus and one-to-one convertible laptop program. Saint Mary's students are challenged to find their courage, explore their passions, and open their hearts and minds to new ideas as they prepare for independence and success in college and life.More than thirty of the school's nationally recruited faculty and staff live on campus, and 83 percent of the faculty holds advanced degrees in their field. The student/faculty ratio is 8:1 and the average class size is 12.5 students. The school's 264 students represent 10 states and seven foreign countries.
- As part of the school's comprehensive and innovative curriculum, the seminar program is designed to help girls develop key competencies through relevant, experiential learning experiences with experts, resources, and organizations in the greater Raleigh area.
- The Saint Mary`s School educational travel program is designed to provide students with experiential opportunities that build empathy and compassion for others. The program is designed to provide students with a range of experiences from which students may choose, including service trips, academic exchanges, cultural excursions and history trips.
- Saint Mary's School accreditations: SMS is a member of the National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, the National Association of Independent Schools, the National Association of Episcopal Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools, and The Association of Boarding Schools. The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Saint Mary's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.