Saint Mary's School
Saint Mary's School Photo #2 - Established in 1842, Saint Mary's School is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 9-12 in Raleigh, North Carolina. It is the fourth oldest girls' boarding/day school in the United States. At Saint Mary's, we prepare girls for college and life.
Saint Mary's School Photo #3 - BE BOLD! At Saint Mary's we offer 11 sports through our athletic program, including tennis, field hockey, volleyball, soccer, basketball, cross country, softball, lacrosse, golf, swimming, track and field. Take a risk and try out for a team! Build your confidence and amplify your voice. #GoSaints1842
Saint Mary's School Photo #4 - BE INSPIRED! At Saint Mary's, girls are accepted and empowered in their learning; to grow spiritually and socially. They are recognized for their unique talents, passions, and interests and those yet to be discovered. They also grow in confidence, amplify their voices, and discover who they want to become because we know girls! We know what they need to succeed.
Saint Mary's School Photo #5 - BE CHALLENGED! Saint Mary's School is dedicated to the academic excellence and personal achievement of girls through a mission to prepare girls for college and life. The school's academic program focuses on giving girls what they need to grow as lifelong learners, building on the habits of a lifelong learner: critical thinking, communication and character.
Saint Mary's School Photo #6 - BE PREPARED! In keeping with the school's Episcopal heritage, Saint Mary's students regularly participate in community service opportunities - from Habitat for Humanity projects pictured here, to the United Way annual MLK Day of Service, to volunteering their time at local schools and nearby service agencies. By preparing girls for college and life, we're investing in the whole girl.
Saint Mary's School Photo #7 - BE EXTRAORDINARY! At Saint Mary's, we prepare girls for college and life. We have a 100% acceptance rate to selective colleges and universities around the world. The school's college counselors work closely with students and their families as they navigate the college admission process. We also prepare our girls with competencies for careers not yet even thought of!
Saint Mary's School Photo #8 - BE BOLD! Participate in the visual and performing arts; take an art class in one of Saint Mary's art studios on campus or try your hand at costume designing. Saint Mary's offers an extensive arts program comprised of music, dance, dramatic arts, and visual arts.
Saint Mary's School Photo #9 - BE PREPARED! The newly renovated Sarah Graham Kenan Library is an inviting space and is the center of intellectual life for students working directly with faculty. It serves as a "creative commons" where students work collaboratively with classmates, work one-on-one with teachers and tutors, or work individually to research assignments or just enjoy a good book or magazine.
Saint Mary's School in Raleigh, North Carolina, is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school that challenged girls in grades 9-12 to BE BOLD, to BE PREPARED, to BE INSPIRED, and to BECOME EXTRAORDINARY.
Founded in 1842, the historic, residential 23-acre campus is located in the heart of North Carolina's capital city of Raleigh, offering easy access to all the city has to offer as well as a safe, peaceful oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle. With a mission to prepare girls for college and life, Saint Mary`s immerses girls in a dynamic learning environment offering both hands-on classroom learning and opportunities for real-world experiences.
Focused on developing key competencies like critical thinking, collaboration, cross-cultural intelligence, and new media literacy, Saint Mary`s offers AP courses, innovative electives, a unique seminar program, college counseling, a rich arts program, 11 sports, and a thriving urban location.
In keeping with our Episcopal tradition, the Saint Mary's School community respects the worth and dignity of every person. As a boarding and day school, students learn and live beside girls from across the region, the state, the country, and the world as they explore new ideas, deepen their understanding, and grow as young women of intelligence, integrity, and purpose.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- U of SC I loved that my school was close to home, but more importantly felt like a home. They were small classes that allowed me to create a special relationship with my teachers and ensure that I. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|Saint Mary's School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||23 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||296 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||8:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$34.2 million||$25 million|
(Seasonal Boarding offered: $8,250)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$33,810|
(Avg. Need-based Aid to Boarder)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 30 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Julie E. Ricciardi, CFRE|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Emily Smith '01|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|Courses||2-D Art and Design, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Comparative Government and Politics, Computer Science, Drawing, English: Language, English: Literature, Environmental Science, French Language and Culture, Multivariable Calculus, Physics , Psychology , Spanish Language and Culture, Spanish Literature, Statistics, United States Government and Politics, United States History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||54||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission Ambassadors, Animal Rights Club, Babysitting Club, Beacon - Senior Honorary Leadership Club, Black Student Union, Bookmark Club, Cooking Club/Sweet Treets, Debate Club, Development Ambassadors, Echo - Senior Washtub Singing Group, Equity Club, Fashion Club, Film Club, Fine Arts in Business, FOCUS, Folding For Fun, French Culture Club, Granddaughter's Club, HOLA/LatinX Club, Hopeful Thinking, Human Rights Alliance, Hype Squad, International Thespian Society, K-Pop, Knitting Club, Ladies in Blue, Latin Club, LGBTQ, Mathemagicians Club, Model United Nations, Mu Captains, Music Composition Club, Music Share, National Honor Society, One Love Club, Photography Club, Psychology Club, Quill and Scroll International Honor Society for High School Journalists, Robotics Club, Saints Who Code, Science Olympiad, Shop1842, Sigma Captains, Ski Club, SMS Trapshooting Team, Spanish Club, Student Government Association, The Belles (Student Paper Club), The Chords, The Muse, Undivided Attention Club, Visual and Performing Arts Prefects, Young Democrats, Young Republicans
|Year: 2018 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|North Carolina State University||18|
|East Carolina University||8|
|Appalachian State University||6|
|University of Mississippi||6|
|Wake Forest University||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Saint Mary's School in Raleigh, North Carolina, is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory, boarding and day school that challenged girls in grades 9-12 to BE BOLD, to BE PREPARED, to BE INSPIRED, and to BECOME EXTRAORDINARY. Founded in 1842, the historic, residential 23-acre campus is within easy driving distance of world-renowned Research Triangle Park and the Raleigh-Durham International Airport. Saint Mary's School is the fourth oldest girls' boarding school in the United States. Since our inception, Saint Mary's has been dedicated to the academic excellence and personal achievement of our students. We look at life academically, socially, and spiritually. Our integrated, hands-on academic program is demanding. Our leadership and life skills curriculum creates responsible citizens and community ambassadors. Outside the classroom, we offer dozens of sports, clubs, activities, and volunteer opportunities. In addition, our Episcopal tradition inspires students to grow as young women of integrity and honor. Saint Mary's offers a comprehensive range of programming and opportunities to prepare our students to compete in college and in today's complex and fast-changing global world. Saint Mary's School offers 18 Advanced Placement courses and a full complement of honors courses, competition in 11 sports and on 16 teams, a comprehensive fine arts program, leadership education, advising, and co-curricular programs, a wireless campus and one-to-one convertible laptop program. Saint Mary's students are challenged to find their courage, explore their passions, and open their hearts and minds to new ideas as they prepare for independence and success in college and life. More than thirty of the school's nationally recruited faculty and staff live on campus, and 83 percent of the faculty holds advanced degrees in their field. The student/faculty ratio is 8:1 and the average class size is 12.5 students. The school's 264 students represent 10 states and seven foreign countries.
- As part of the school's comprehensive and innovative curriculum, the seminar program is designed to help girls develop key competencies through relevant, experiential learning experiences with experts, resources, and organizations in the greater Raleigh area.
- The Saint Mary`s School educational travel program is designed to provide students with experiential opportunities that build empathy and compassion for others. The program is designed to provide students with a range of experiences from which students may choose, including service trips, academic exchanges, cultural excursions, and history trips.
- Saint Mary's School accreditations: SMS is a member of the National Coalition of Girls’ Schools, the National Association of Independent Schools, the National Association of Episcopal Schools, the Southern Association of Independent Schools, the North Carolina Association of Independent Schools, and The Association of Boarding Schools. The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Bevin Prince '00 - Actress, known for "One Tree Hill"
- Alex Marshall-Brown '03 - Actress, stunt woman
- Sara Rose Nordgren '00 - Writer, Agnes Lynch Starrett Poetry Prize-winner
- Anne Russell '43 - Broadway star, "Hello, Dolly!"
- Betty Ray McCain '50 - First female to lead the NC Democratic Party
- Mary Dana Hinton '88 - Hollins University President
- Betty Debnam Hunt '49 - Founder and creator of the Mini Pages
- Cara Bayley Bosca '41 - Women’s Airforce Service Pilot, WWII
- Raven McDonald '96 - Women's professional soccer player, New York Power
- Marjorie Buckley Bryant '60 - Founder, NC Outward Bound
Profile last updated: 09/15/2021
- Submit Review for Saint Mary's School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Thinking about making a major gift to your school? How about endowing a faculty chair? More here.
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.