The Madeira School
Capitol Hill internships in the offices of senators and representatives are a hallmark of the junior year at Madeira
The Smithsonian Natural History Museum is just one of 300 internship placements available to seniors through Madeira's award winning Co-Curriculum program
Washington D.C. plays a central role in student life. Field trips, internships, and weekend activities take advantage of all the area has to offer. Georgetown Cupcakes, anyone?
- Madeira is an independent boarding and day school educating 308 girls in grades 9 through 12.
- Our 376-acre campus is located 15 minutes from Washington, DC in McLean, Virginia.
- Madeira`s challenging academic programs and experiential learning opportunities, like the award winning Co-Curriculum program, cultivate women leaders who are ready to make positive impacts in their local and global communities.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Harvard Of course, the two most obvious aspects of Madeira that set the school apart are the single-sex education, and the co-curriculum program. Learning with a group of all girls takes the competitiveness out of education. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|The Madeira School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Campus Size||376 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||308 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1770 - 2120||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$62 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$34,179||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||80%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Matti Donkor|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Katie Fotofili|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||16|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry , Comparative Government & Politics, English Language, English Literature, French Langauge, French Literature, Latin Literature, Latin: Vergil, Physics B, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, US Government & Politics, US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||39||23|
|Extracurriculars||A Capella, Arts Council, Asian Club, Black Student Union, Chamber, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Classics Club, Community Service Club, Dance Club, Debate Club, Environment Club, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Girls Club, Glee Club, Jewish Religion and Culture, Latin American Culture Club, Latin Club, Literary Magazine, Martial Arts, Math and Computer Science Club, Math Team, Mental Health Awareness Club, Model UN,|
|Year: 2009 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Virginia||20|
|College of William and Mary||19|
|The George Washington University||9|
|Carnegie Mellon University||8|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Madeira`s curriculum is grounded in expert teaching and active involvement of the students when planning their academic paths. Personal academic advising enables girls to customize a schedule beyond graduation requirements, offering them the highest degree of challenge that best suits their interests. From AP Art History to iPad App Development, students may take advantage of the many upper-level courses offered.
- The innovative Co-Curriculum program at Madeira integrates experiential learning with the cultural, political, and business life of the nation`s capital. Girls participate in immersive, 5-week internships, graduating with a solid resume that rivals that of college students. The unique grade-level objectives of the Co-Curriculum program progress from learning about identity and community during freshman and sophomore years to experiencing "real-life work" and leadership training during junior-year internships in Capitol Hill offices and student-selected internships during the girls` senior year.
- Madeira has 13 inter-scholastic sports, including an equestrian team, as well as instruction in music, dance, film, visual and performing arts, which give students competitive and creative outlets.
- The campus, which overlooks the Potomac River from 376 scenic acres, is a place for study, play, and competition, home to superior academic, athletic, riding, and arts facilities. Sports facilities include a 32,000 square foot sports center with basketball and volleyball courts, indoor competition size pool, dance/aerobic studio, and strength and conditioning room. There are also eight hard-surface tennis courts, three playing fields, 49 stall barn, indoor riding arena, and extensive riding and hiking trails. The arts facilities includes a 500 seat proscenium theater, drama rehearsal space, scene shop, dance studios, private vocal and instrumental studios, and an art gallery.
- With Washington, D.C. is 15 minutes away, students take advantage of shopping in Georgetown, movies at Tysons Corner, and dim sum in Chinatown. The 20 other independent boarding and day schools (including all-boys and co-ed schools) nearby provide plenty of social opportunities on the weekends.
- School accreditations: NAIS, VAIS, TABS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Katherine Graham - Publisher, Washington Post
- Francis Sternhagen - Actress
- Alice Rivlin - Former director, Office of Management and Budget
- Stockard Channing - Actress
- Submit Review for The Madeira School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 298 students 40 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.