Garrison Forest School
Garrison Forest School Photo #3 - View of Shriver Hall, which houses the health suite and dorm rooms for boarders.
Garrison Forest School Photo #5 - Most fine and performing arts classes are held in The Molly Mundy Hathaway '61 Performing Arts Center.
Garrison Forest School Photo #8 - The Head of Garrison Forest School lives in Lochinvar. It is also the site of special events such as Reunion and prom.
- Garrison Forest School is a nationally known all-girls college preparatory boarding school and day school.
- GFS is recognized for educating intelligent and caring young women.
- Superb faculty, a beautiful campus, excellent resources, and a talented and diverse student body, all work to instill within our students a love of learning, an ethic of caring for others, and a strong sense of self.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Garrison Forest||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||7-12|
|Campus Size||110 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||298 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1280||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$38.4 million||$20 million|
|Tuition international students||$60,600||$49,150|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$21,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||55%||-|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|Courses||Art History, Art Portfolio, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Economics, English Language, Environmental Science, French Language, French Literature, Latin Literature, Psychology, Spanish Language, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Polo, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||33||24|
|Extracurriculars||Saintly Speaking Newspaper|
Club or Organization:
Academic Team, Debate Club, Fellowship of Christian Athletes, Forum (Student Government), Green Club, Habitat for Humanity Chapter, Honor Council Advisory Board, International Relations Club, Math Study Hall, MS Book Club, MS Current Events, MS Keyboarding, MS Life Skills, MS Math Games, MS Newspaper, MS Writers Circle, Oasis Literary Art Magazine, One Love, Peer Tutoring - English, Politics Club, Riding Club, Robotics Team, Service League, Service League (community service groups), Soup Kitchen (community service group), Spanish Club, Spirit Boosters, STITCH, Student Diversity Leadership Council, The Paw Print (student newspaper), The Ragged Robin (yearbook)
Arts and Music Programs:
Musicale Event Clu
|Year: 2008 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Maryland||15|
|University of Virginia||14|
|University of Richmond||5|
|Johns Hopkins University||4|
- The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Program is the outcome of a groundbreaking partnership between Garrison Forest School and The Johns Hopkins University to establish a critically needed mentoring program. The program links students with faculty mentors in the Johns Hopkins University Schools of Engineering, Arts and Sciences, and Public Health.
- The Garrison Forest Riding Program welcomes riders with any amount of experience. The primary focus of the Riding Program is Hunter Seat Equitation. Students participate in horse shows at the local and upper levels, including A shows. Show-Jumping and Eventing also are offered on a limited basis.
- Garrison Forest offers exceptional Arts facilities:The Hathaway Fine and Performing Arts Center, which centralizes the Arts on campus and houses a recital hall, a choral rehearsal room, music classrooms, teaching studios and practice rooms, two magnificent art studios with cathedral ceilings, an art history room, and facilities for sculpture and jewelry-making. The building's photography studio includes a traditional wet lab darkroom as well as a digital lab, 13 enlargers, and a large workroom with computer workstations. Dancers have classes and rehearsals in the Dance Studio in the modern, collegiate-level Campus Center.
- Since 2008-09, Garrison Forest teams across an array of sports have won a collective 28 championships.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Elizabeth Littlefield '78 - President and CEO of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
- Lara Schwartz - Vice President of External Affairs for The American Association of People with Disabilities
- Helen Whitney '61 - Oscar nominated producer, director, and documentary writer
- Nicole Hansen '12 - Nationally ranked climber
- Rachel Pohl '74 - Help found ArtCorps, a health and human rights nonprofit
- Tiffany Thomas '85 - Set Director for HBO's Game Change
- Learic Cramer '96 - Northrup Grumman engineer and race car driver
- Julie Bowen '87 - Emmy Award-winning actress
- Beth Botsford '99 - Olympic Gold Medalist
- Adele Smith Simmons '59 - President of the Global Philanthropy Partnership, senior advisor to the World Economic Forum, first female dean at Princeton
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Garrison Forest School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.