Garrison Forest School
The Head of Garrison Forest School lives in Lochinvar. It is also the site of special events such as Reunion and prom.
- Garrison Forest School is a nationally known all-girls college preparatory boarding school and day school.
- GFS is recognized for educating intelligent and caring young women.
- Superb faculty, a beautiful campus, excellent resources, and a talented and diverse student body, all work to instill within our students a love of learning, an ethic of caring for others, and a strong sense of self.
Top 5 Placements
Listed among the top 5 all-girls schools (out of 24 all-girls schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- Affordability Least expensive tuition
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Garrison Forest||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||6-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||Pre-K-12||4-12|
|Campus Size||110 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||298 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1790||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||500 - 700||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$38 million||$17 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$21,500||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||55%||-|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Crystal Lee|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|Courses||Art History, Art Portfolio, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Economics, English Language, Environmental Science, French Language, French Literature, Latin Literature, Psychology, Spanish Language, U.S. History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Polo, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||29||23|
Club or Organization:
Activities Committee, Amnesty International Club, Athletic Association, Black Awareness Club, Callisto, Cooking Club, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Film Club, Forum, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Grizzly Guides, International Student Club, Jewish Students Association, Junior Assistants, Latin Club, Model United Nations Club, Multicultural Student Alliance, Peer Educators/ Peer Mentors, Prefects, Riding Club, Service League, Service League (community service groups), Soup Kitchen (community service group), Spanish Club, The Paw Print (student newspaper), The Ragged Robin (yearbook)
Arts and Music Programs:
Ragged Robins (Junior/Senior a cappella group)
|Year: 2008 - 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Maryland||15|
|University of Virginia||14|
|University of Richmond||5|
|Johns Hopkins University||4|
- The Women in Science and Engineering (WISE) Program is the outcome of a groundbreaking partnership between Garrison Forest School and The Johns Hopkins University to establish a critically needed mentoring program. The program links students with faculty mentors in the Johns Hopkins University Schools of Engineering, Arts and Sciences, and Public Health.
- The Garrison Forest Riding Program welcomes riders with any amount of experience. The primary focus of the Riding Program is Hunter Seat Equitation. Students participate in horse shows at the local and upper levels, including A shows. Show-Jumping and Eventing also are offered on a limited basis.
- Garrison Forest offers exceptional Arts facilities:The Hathaway Fine and Performing Arts Center, which centralizes the Arts on campus and houses a recital hall, a choral rehearsal room, music classrooms, teaching studios and practice rooms, two magnificent art studios with cathedral ceilings, an art history room, and facilities for sculpture and jewelry-making. The building's photography studio includes a traditional wet lab darkroom as well as a digital lab, 13 enlargers, and a large workroom with computer workstations. Dancers have classes and rehearsals in the Dance Studio in the modern, collegiate-level Campus Center.
- Since 2008-09, Garrison Forest teams across an array of sports have won a collective 27 championships.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Elizabeth Littlefield '78 - President and CEO of the Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC)
- Lara Schwartz - Vice President of External Affairs for The American Association of People with Disabilities
- Helen Whitney '61 - Oscar nominated producer, director, and documentary writer
- Nicole Hansen '12 - Nationally ranked climber
- Rachel Pohl '74 - Help found ArtCorps, a health and human rights nonprofit
- Tiffany Thomas '85 - Set Director for HBO's Game Change
- Learic Cramer '96 - Northrup Grumman engineer and race car driver
- Julie Bowen '87 - Emmy Award-winning actress
- Beth Botsford '99 - Olympic Gold Medalist
- Adele Smith Simmons '59 - President of the Global Philanthropy Partnership, senior advisor to the World Economic Forum, first female dean at Princeton
- Submit Review for Garrison Forest School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
March 19, 2018
Some cynics think single-sex education is old-fashioned. The Kiski School shows how educating boys in a single-sex school is successful.
March 14, 2018
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
March 08, 2018
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.