5.00 (12 reviews)
Tel: (410) 472-4800
1500 Glencoe Road
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
Oldfields School Photo #2 - Learn about our rich 150+ year history of educating young women. Oldfields School was one of the first to teach science and athletics to girls.
Oldfields School Photo #3 - Oldfields' campus is 130 acres located in Maryland's scenic horse country, and is close to cultural centers including Washington, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York City and only 30 minutes from the international airport, BWI.
Oldfields School Photo #4 - Oldfields Riding has been a vibrant part of the community for over 150 years. Our program is dedicated to creating an environment that helps each student reach her riding goals whether they are just beginning, very experienced, or anywhere in between.
Oldfields School Photo #5 - Our mission at Oldfields is to provide an environment that allows each girl to make the most of her academic and personal potential. The academic program is designed to be rigorous and challenging, as well as personal and supportive. Oldfields offers a complete college preparatory curriculum.
Oldfields School Photo #6 - May Program is a two-week experiential learning experience that complements the academic curriculum. This program takes students across our community, our country, or the world. These two offer self-discovery, leadership, and confidence-building; another step in ensuring each girl's success.
Oldfields School Photo #7 - Whether students enter Oldfields with little or no experience in that arts or with years of expertise and training, every effort is made to expose Oldfields girls to a wide variety of dance, theatre, music, and visual arts. A wide array of academic courses, clubs, or extracurricular opportunities are offered.
Oldfields School Photo #8 - Oldfields athletics emphasizes the value of each individual and respect for others. We stress teamwork, sportsmanship, personal commitment, reachable goal setting, and appreciation for lifetime activity.
Oldfields School Photo #9 - Become a global citizen as you learn, live, and laugh with students from across the country and around the world.
Oldfields School Photo #10 - Traditions are what tie generations of Oldfields girls together. The traditions are unveiled for each new girl to experience and enjoy when she arrives. Each serves as a healthy and appropriate rite of passage, through which memories are made, leaders are born, and lessons are learned.
- At Oldfields School, we understand teenage girls. We believe in their power, both individually and collectively.
- Every day, our girls build self-confidence because we empower them to take risks - participate in new experiences, advocate for themselves, lead by example, and strengthen their identity.
- The world needs more Oldfields graduates because our motivated, informed, kind, and courageous young women know how to navigate and lead in an increasingly complex world.
- Celebrating A New School Year 2020-2021 - 09/09/2020 - It`s a wrap! Our community has a wonderful reopening experience under our belts, and we are looking forward to the months ahead! Move-in day went incredibly well thanks to all ...moreof you, our families, who did a great job following our health and safety protocols. A shoutout also goes to the faculty and staff who greeted the girls with smiles, helped move everyone into the dorms, and made all feel at home. However, the real rock stars of Opening Days were the students. Their attitude and energy were fantastic as we all got to know each other better through Advisory meetings, games, and of course, classes! hide
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- St. Lawrence University I would say that the two most prominent thing that make Oldfields unique is May Program. May Program is a learning opportunity for all students whether that be at Oldfields, in the United States, or. . .
- Shenandoah University One aspect that O.S has that no other school is how our school is split into Green or White Teams. These team all year have a friendly competition that not only helps you make friends. . .
- Muhlenberg College I don't know what other boarding schools are like, but the teachers and coaches at Oldfields cared about me learning, growing, and being happy in a way I never could have imagined. I was surrounded. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Oldfields School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||140 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(While our dress code is designed to be casual and comfortable, it does not allow jeans, sweatpants, or athletic wear during the academic day.)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Reiva Kibbee|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Kathleen Wenck|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry , AP English Language and Composition , AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language and Culture , AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Spanish Language and Culture , AP US History, AP World History, Studio I, Studio II|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||16|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||35||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Asian Culture Club, Baltimore Girls School Leadership Coalition, Becoming Globally Aware, Bibliobash, Black Awareness Club, Chess Club, Diversity Committee, Dubious Dozen (a capella), Gay Straight Alliance, Green School Committee, Jewish Culture Club, Library Proctors, Model UN, One Love, Peer Tutors, Powered by Speech, School Judiciary Board, Semi-Formal, STEM, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Tidbit (literary magazine), Yearbook, Young Democrats, Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Art and Design, Dream Catchers (K-Pop Dance Troupe), Images (a cappella), Oldfields Dance Company, Playmakers, Theatre
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance, Fitness & Conditioning, Pilates, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A leader among girl's boarding schools, Oldfields School, founded 1867, is a college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 8-12.
- Located in Maryland's horse and hound country, Oldfields provides an environment where girls feel comfortable, supported, and encouraged to explore new experiences and take risks along the way.
- A 5:1 student to teacher ratio coupled with a talented and dedicated faculty allows for the mission of "Each Girl's Success" to be fully executed every day. Oldfields' distinctive academic schedule includes three 80 minute classes per day with 1 hour in between each class allows for extra help time with teachers, individualized one on one academic strategies support, time to do homework in the library, participate in clubs, or enjoy down time.
- Our intensive immersion into the subject matter is similar to a college experience and our balanced approach to high academic standards in a supportive environment results in confident, accomplished, well-rounded young women ready for the next phase of their education.
- Accreditations include Association of Independent Maryland Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, National Coalition of Girls Schools, National Association of Independent Schools
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Oldfields School accreditations: Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Oldfields School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 548 students 12.3 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.