1500 Glencoe Road
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
CAMPUS * 180 acres * Located just 20 miles from Baltimore * 30 minutes from BWI * 1 hour from Washington, DC * 90 minutes from Philadelphia * 40 minutes from Annapolis * 3 hours from New York City (PICTURE: Birds eye view of campus)
LEADERSHIP and FACULTY * Experienced, devoted, hands-on Head of School, Dr. Parnell Hagerman * Teachers who foster a love for learning * Faculty who understand the importance of emotional and social development in teenage girls * Advisory, morning meeting, and community dinner every day of the week (PICTURE: Dr. Parnell Hagerman)
ACADEMICS * Unique Academic Schedule * 5:1 Student to Teacher Ratio * Flexible Course Curriculum, Including Honors Courses * Abundant Opportunity for Academic Support * Exceptional Understanding of Learning Styles (PICTURE: Anatomy and Physiology lab)
MAY PROGRAM * An exceptionally unique two-week experiential learning tradition * Spend a week training and living at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid * Travel to Europe to study World War II * Student-Teach at nearby public schools * STEM-related programs (PICTURE: Lake Placid May Program 2014)
STUDENTS * 180 girls from 28 states and 11 countries * 80% boarding, 20% day * Opportunities for each girl to develop and pursue leadership opportunities * Opportunities to try new things in a supportive and encouraging environment (PICTURE: Roommates from Jamaica and the United States)
EQUESTRIAN * Renowned equestrian program in the heart of Hunt Valley, MD * 36 school-owned horses on campus * State-of-the-art indoor riding arena * Cross-country trails surrounding campus * Opportunities to ride each day as well as during the academic day (PICTURE: Two riders outside of the Indoor Riding Arena)
ATHLETICS * Competitive interscholastic athletic teams * Extra-curricular activities offered such as Pilates, yoga, fitness, and sailing * Riding, Theater, and Dance offered each season * Inspiring coaches with NCAA Division I, II, and II experience (PICTURE: Runners from the 2014 IAAM Cross-Country Championship team)
PERFORMING ARTS * Three theater productions each year * Plethora of dance and theater classes offered during the academic day * Oldfields Dance Company * Opportunities to perform off-campus (PICTURE: Members of the Oldfields Dance Company)
- A leader among girls’ boarding schools, Oldfields School, founded 1867, is a college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 8 – 12.
- Located in Maryland’s horse country, Oldfields provides an environment where girls feel comfortable, supported, and encouraged to explore new experiences and take risks along the way.
- A 5:1 student to teacher ratio coupled with a talented and dedicated faculty allows for the mission of “Each Girl’s Success” to be fully executed each and every day.
- Oldfields’ distinctive academic schedule includes 3 classes per day with 1 hour in between each to allow for enrichment such as clubs, sports, or individual academic support.
- Intensive immersion into the subject matter is similar to a college experience.
- High academic standards combined with low pressure in a supportive environment results in confident, accomplished, well-rounded young women ready for the next phase of their education.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Dickinson College We had many opportunities to get out into our external community, including ones through our curriculum called "May Program". May Program is a two week program that sets out to bring our girls outside of. . .
- Lake Forest College The Family-like community, the availability of faculty, the support all the girls get from school...there are so many unique things that make Oldfields stand out. I checked this website (Boarding School Review) years ago when. . .
- Sweet Briar College I feel the most unique asset that Oldfields offered that I loved dearly was the way that education was presented in the classroom. The teachers were available during and after school hours and invited. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools All-Girls Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with < 200 students (out of 99 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|Oldfields School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||180 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||180 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$12 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$12,000||$21,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Allison Letourneau|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Tom Faxon|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||16|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry , AP English Language and Composition , AP English Literature and Composition , AP Environmental Science, AP French Language and Culture , AP Latin, AP Physics , AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture , AP Spanish Literature and Culture , AP Statistics, AP US Government and Politics , AP US History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||14|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Bowling, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Indoor Soccer, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||26||23|
|Extracurriculars||Art Club, Asian Culture Club, Baltimore Girls School Leadership Coalition, Black Awareness Club, Black Awareness Steppers, Book Club, Calorie Gallery, Disciplinary Council, Drama Club, Dubious Dozen (a capella), Environment Club, Fellowship of Christians at Universities and Schools (FOCUS), Global Awareness Club, Images (a capella), Jewish Culture Club, Model UN, NCBI (National Coalition Building Institute), Outing Club, Playmakers, Resident Assistants, Riding Club, Student Council, Tidbit (literary magazine), Tour Guides, Varsity Club,|
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Oldfields School, founded 1867, is a college preparatory day and boarding school for girls in grades 8 – 12. Our 130 acre campus is located in MD's horse country near the cultural centers of Washington D.C. , New York City, Baltimore and Philadelphia.
- Our 5:1 student to teacher ratio allows us focus on “Each Girl’s Success.” Our faculty has an average tenure of 10 years and 67% hold advanced degrees.·
- Students from as many as 15 states and 10 foreign countries make up our diverse student body.
- Our distinctive academic schedule includes 3 courses per day lasting 80 minutes each with 1 hour in between each to allow for enrichment such as clubs, sports, lunch and individual academic support. Intensive immersion in each course into the subject matter is similar to a college experience.
- Accreditations include Association of Independent Maryland Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, National Coalition of Girls Schools, National Association of Independent Schools
- LD types supported: All
- School accreditations: Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Wallis Simpson - The Duchess of Windsor
- Renee duPont - Heiress to the duPont family
Submit Review for Oldfields School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Grades: 8-12| 298 students 12.3 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
May 18, 2017
The International Baccalaureate programmes cover the entire K-12 spectrum with three distinct educational curricula. In this article, we focus on American private high schools which offer the Diploma Programme.
May 11, 2017
In 1957-58 Peter Denis attended a boarding school in Switzerland. In this article he recounts his experiences for us.
April 26, 2017
Vision. Generosity. High-minded principles. These are the hallmarks of the benefactors of the five schools featured in this article.