5.00 (12 reviews)
Tel: (443) 662-1050
1500 Glencoe Road
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
Oldfields School Photo #2 - Oldfields Riding has been a vibrant part of the community for over 150 years, dedicated to creating an environment that helps each student reach her riding goals whether she is just beginning, very experienced, or anywhere in between. Daily riding, certified trainers, and expert visiting clinicians allow for participation in hunter/jumper, eventing, dressage, fox hunting, and IEA competitions.
Oldfields School Photo #3 - Oldfields' campus is 140 acres located in Maryland's scenic horse country, close to the cultural centers of Washington, DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York City and within driving distance of natural resources like the Chesapeake Bay, Appalachian Mountains, and Atlantic beaches. In addition, the international airport BWI is only 30 minutes away.
Oldfields School Photo #4 - The best learning happens in a space where students are known. Our small class sizes and 5:1 teacher to student ratio allow the flexibility for a personalized learning experience that is both challenging and supportive and that values each girl for who she is and who she will become.
Oldfields School Photo #5 - Experiential learning occurs throughout the year with our signature May Program and Winter Program that complement the academic curriculum while taking students on a journey of discovery across our community, our country, and the world. Weekend activities also offer hands-on opportunities to explore a current passion or try something totally new. Students often share how these programs were life-changing experiences!
Oldfields School Photo #6 - The ability to express oneself in new ways is a core experience--nowhere more beautifully demonstrated than in Oldfields` abundant Arts Program. Whether a beginner or experienced, all are encouraged to explore their inner aspirations and depths, sharing them through dance, theatre, music, and visual arts. Our new Arts Concentration Program offers an even more immersive art experience.
Oldfields School Photo #7 - Oldfields athletics emphasizes the value of each individual and respect for others. We stress teamwork, sportsmanship, personal commitment, reachable goal setting, and appreciation for lifetime activity. With 12 interscholastic sports and a variety of co-curricular activities such as yoga, pilates, and fitness conditioning, there is something for everyone.
Oldfields School Photo #8 - With international students coming from as far away as Rwanda, South Korea, China, and Mexico, our students obtain a global view, learning and living with others from across the country and around the world. One thing all have in common, from day to boarder, domestic to international, this place becomes their home, and the relationships they forge here are life-long.
Oldfields School Photo #9 - Traditions are what tie generations of Oldfields girls together. The traditions are unveiled for each new girl to experience and enjoy when she arrives. From Green and White Team competitions to Big Sister/Little Sister, each serves to build connections through which memories are made, leaders are developed, and lessons are learned.
Oldfields School Photo #10 - When you arrive with a goal or dream, we say, "Let's try it together." Your path may twist and turn, but what remains certain throughout is that you will be guided and encouraged by the exceptional people around you. Growth occurs when you will realize your own extraordinary strength. Moments like these are magical, and here, they happen a lot.
Founded in 1867, our independent all-girls boarding and day school for grades 8-12, is located in Maryland`s scenic horse country near the cultural centers of Washington DC, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore.
Oldfields School embraces each students` authentic self, educates through collaboration, and empowers young women`s voices. Here you will be seen, known, and heard.
As an intentionally small school of 100+ students provides the flexibility to create an immersive personalized learning experience that allows each student to achieve her goals in mind, body, and spirit, grow in confidence, and be exceptionally prepared for college and beyond.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- St. Lawrence University I would say that the two most prominent thing that make Oldfields unique is May Program. May Program is a learning opportunity for all students whether that be at Oldfields, in the United States, or. . .
- Shenandoah University One aspect that O.S has that no other school is how our school is split into Green or White Teams. These team all year have a friendly competition that not only helps you make friends. . .
- Muhlenberg College I don't know what other boarding schools are like, but the teachers and coaches at Oldfields cared about me learning, growing, and being happy in a way I never could have imagined. I was surrounded. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Oldfields School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||140 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||100 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(While our dress code is designed to be casual and comfortable, it does not allow jeans, sweatpants, or athletic wear during the academic day.)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kathleen Wenck|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mason Rooney|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry , AP English Language and Composition , AP English Literature and Composition, AP Environmental Science, AP French Language and Culture , AP Physics I, AP Physics II, AP Spanish Language and Culture , AP Statistics, AP US History, AP World History, AP World History: Modern|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||16|
|Sports||Badminton, Ballet, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Equestrian, Lacrosse, Riding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||28||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Asian Culture Club, Baltimore Girls School Leadership Coalition, Black Alliance Club, Diversity Committee, Gay Straight Alliance, Green School Committee, Jewish Culture Club, Library Proctors, Model UN, One Love, Peer Tutors, School Judiciary Board, Semi-Formal, STEM, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Tidbit (literary magazine), Young Democrats/Young Republicans
Arts and Music Programs:
Art and Design, Dream Catchers (K-Pop Dance Troupe), Dubious Dozen & Images (a capella), Oldfields Dance Company, Scales & Stripes (Theatre Troupe), Theatre
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Dance, Fitness & Conditioning, Pilates, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- As an all-girls boarding school for over 153 years, we know that a single-sex education is life changing. While outside influences attempt to define who a girl should be, Oldfields provides a place free from that pressure-where girls can focus on who they are and safely explore and grow into who they want to be. Here, girls lead everything. We believe in the power of teenage girls, and by the time they leave us, they believe in themselves.
- Our intentionally small school means students are known and their voices are celebrated. Our 5:1 student to teacher ratio allows us to be flexible, creating unique immersive personalized academic opportunities. Our academic schedule allows breaks between classes for extra help, enrichment, or downtime, similar to a college schedule. With over 50% of the faculty living on campus, the guidance of trusted teachers and mentors extends well beyond the four walls of a classroom.
- Oldfields signature programs included a renowned Riding Program; multiple experiential learning opportunities such as May Program and Winter Program; the Academic Strategies Program and new this year, the Arts Concentration Program.
- Oldfields offers 12 interscholastic competitive sports as well as a variety of co-curricular activities such as yoga, fitness conditioning, and pilates. Our athletes learn teamwork, sportsmanship, personal commitment, attainable goal setting, and an appreciation for a lifetime of activity. As one of the first girls' schools to pioneer an athletic program in 1878, we have always valued the personal growth that athletics provides on and off the field.
- All our students, boarding and day, domestic and international, cherish the family-like sense of warmth and welcoming that surrounds the Oldfields experience. We learn and live together, and share an unwavering caring for and kindness towards one another. We value individuality and encourage students to use their voices to help create the student experience. You are embraced as you are because who you are "supposed" to be doesn`t exist here. The result is a shared, deep-rooted sense of belonging that makes our community a family and our campus a home.
- At Oldfields, we know the college application process can be overwhelming, and that is why we are here to help every step of the way! College counseling is an in-depth, multi-year process which helps each student prepare for and find the college, university, gap year, or post-graduate career path that fits her best. Along with the college counselor, each Oldfields senior takes responsibility for her higher education plan.
- Accreditations include Association of Independent Maryland Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, National Coalition of Girls Schools, National Association of Independent Schools.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Oldfields School accreditations: Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Oldfields School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 548 students 12.3 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Are you thinking about sending your daughter off to boarding school? Go for it!
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.