5.00 (9 reviews)
1500 Glencoe Road
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
Sparks Glencoe, MD 21152
ACADEMICS* Unique Academic Schedule* 5:1 Student to Teacher Ratio* Flexible Course Curriculum, Including Honors Courses that prepare for AP tests * Abundant Opportunity for Academic Support* Exceptional Understanding of Learning Styles(PICTURE: Anatomy and Physiology lab)
MAY PROGRAM* An exceptionally unique two-week experiential learning tradition* Spend a week training and living at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid* Travel to Europe to study World War II* Student-Teach at nearby public schools* STEM-related programs(PICTURE: Lake Placid May Program 2014)
STUDENTS* 180 girls from 28 states and 11 countries* 80% boarding, 20% day* Opportunities for each girl to develop and pursue leadership opportunities* Opportunities to try new things in a supportive and encouraging environment(PICTURE: Roommates from Jamaica and the United States)
EQUESTRIAN* Renowned equestrian program in the heart of Hunt Valley, MD* 36 school-owned horses on campus* State-of-the-art indoor riding arena* Cross-country trails surrounding campus* Opportunities to ride each day as well as during the academic day(PICTURE: Two riders outside of the Indoor Riding Arena)
ATHLETICS* Competitive interscholastic athletic teams * Extra-curricular activities offered such as Pilates, yoga, fitness, and sailing* Riding, Theater, and Dance offered each season * Inspiring coaches with NCAA Division I, II, and II experience(PICTURE: Runners from the 2014 IAAM Cross-Country Championship team)
PERFORMING ARTS* Three theater productions each year* Plethora of dance and theater classes offered during the academic day* Oldfields Dance Company* Opportunities to perform off-campus(PICTURE: Members of the Oldfields Dance Company)
VISUAL ARTS* Plethora of visual art classes offered during the academic day such as: studio, portfolio, digital design, ceramics, photography, architecture and design* Four state-of-the-art art studios* Renovated digital design classroom(PICTURE: Portfolio class held outside in the Spring)
- A leader among girls' boarding schools, Oldfields School, founded 1867, is a college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 8-12.
- Located in Maryland`s horse country, Oldfields provides an environment where girls are celebrated, supported, and encouraged to explore new experiences and take risks along the way. A 5:1 student to teacher ratio coupled with a talented and dedicated faculty allows for the mission of "Each Girl's Success" to be fully executed each and every day. Oldfields` distinctive academic schedule includes 3 classes per day with 1 hour in between each to allow for enrichment such as clubs, sports, or individual academic support. Intensive immersion into the subject matter is similar to a college experience. A balanced approach to high academic standards in a caring environment results in confident, accomplished, well-rounded young women ready for the next phase of their education.
Upcoming Events and News:
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Muhlenberg College I don't know what other boarding schools are like, but the teachers and coaches at Oldfields cared about me learning, growing, and being happy in a way I never could have imagined. I was surrounded. . .
- connecticut college Oldfields is incredibly diverse as well as very supportive while still allowing girls to branch out and be who they want to be they are still supportive. . .
- Spelman College Oldfields School was super unique because of many reasons, but I'll choose 2. The class sizes were extremely small, giving students a large amount of one on one time with the teachers. I think at. . .
- Salisbury University Many of the staff members would go out of their way to help you out if you were struggling. You make unique friendships with both the staff and the students when you live on campus. . .
- Dickinson College We had many opportunities to get out into our external community, including ones through our curriculum called "May Program". May Program is a two week program that sets out to bring our girls outside of. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Oldfields School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||8-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||130 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||180 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(casual, appropriate, neat)
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$12 million||$18 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||12000||$22,844|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Reiva Kibbee|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Tom Faxon|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry , AP English Language and Composition , AP Environmental Science, AP French Language and Culture , AP Physics , AP Spanish Language and Culture , AP Statistics, AP US Government and Politics , AP US History, AP World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Winter Track|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||22||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Asian Culture Club, Baltimore Girls School Leadership Coalition, Black Awareness Club, Book Club, Disciplinary Council, Drama Club, Dreamcatchers hip hop dance group, Dubious Dozen (a capella), Environment Club, Global Awareness Club, Images (a capella), Jewish Culture Club, Model UN, Resident Assistants, Riding Club, Student Council, Tidbit (literary magazine), Tour Guides, Varsity Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- A leader among girls` boarding schools, Oldfields School, founded 1867, is a college preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 8 12.
- Located in Maryland`s horse and hound country, Oldfields provides an environment where girls feel comfortable, supported, and encouraged to explore new experiences and take risks along the way.
- A 5:1 student to teacher ratio coupled with a talented and dedicated faculty allows for the mission of "Each Girl`s Success" to be fully executed every day. Oldfields` distinctive academic schedule includes three 80 minute classes per day with 1 hour in between each class allows for extra help time with teachers, individualized one on one academic strategies support, time to do homework in the library, participate in clubs, or enjoy down time.
- Our intensive immersion into the subject matter is similar to a college experience and our high academic standards combined with low pressure in a supportive environment results in confident, accomplished, well-rounded young women ready for the next phase of their education.
- Accreditations include Association of Independent Maryland Schools, Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools, National Coalition of Girls Schools, National Association of Independent Schools
- LD types supported: All
- School accreditations: Commission on Secondary Schools of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Wallis Simpson - The Duchess of Windsor
- Renee duPont - Heiress to the duPont family
- Lana Dupont - Olympic Equestrian
- Submit Review for Oldfields School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 298 students 12.3 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.