Chatham Hall Photo #2 - Pruden Hall is at the center of Chatham Hall's 362-acre campus. Here, you'll find the Well, where students and faculty gather for assemblies and unique performances, as well as Admission and Academic offices, dorm rooms upstairs, and easy access to the dining hall, classrooms, and science and language buildings.
Chatham Hall Photo #3 - Chatham Hall has transformed the 12,256-square-foot Edmund J. and Lucy Lee Library into a dynamic learning commons. It serves as an academic and technological hub for collaborative learning, research, study, and teaching on campus. Versatile meeting and study spaces promote an engaging atmosphere for learning, and integration of more advanced technology opens doors for creative new teaching methods. The library
Chatham Hall Photo #4 - In small classrooms (averaging 8 students), Chatham Hall teachers challenge girls to excel academically. The majority of our faculty and administration live on campus, and more than 70% of our teachers have advanced degrees. Chatham Hall is also an iPad school, utilizing the latest technology to improve the educational experience and provide our students
Chatham Hall Photo #5 - Chatham Hall is known for our STEAM offerings-including the award winning FTC Robotics team- The Tutu Turtles!
Chatham Hall Photo #6 - Chatham Hall's variety of dynamic and unique programming includes the prestigious Leader in Residence Program which brings world leaders and global thinkers to campus to meet with students. Past guests include BBC Anchor Katty Kay Nobel Prize winner Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Jane Goodall, Alvin Ailey Artistic Director Judith Jameson, the late Benazir Bhutto, Gloria Steinem, and Venus Williams.
Chatham Hall Photo #9 - Chatham Hall offers a competitive athletic program, with nine varsity sports. We've won numerous conference championships, most recently in swimming (four years in a row!), tennis, and field hockey.
- "An all-girls college-preparatory boarding school, Chatham Hall offers students a challenging academic environment, a rich extracurricular program, and a beautiful 362-acre campus.
- In our small classes, teachers challenge and encourage students to excel academically.
- Recent graduates have attended Princeton, Dartmouth, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, William & Mary, U.Va., Stanford, Vanderbilt and Vassar.
- At 89%, Chatham Hall has the highest percentage of boarding students among peer girls schools.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Yale University The most important facet of life at Chatham Hall is the strong sense of community. At atmosphere of care, trust, and kindness is the foundation upon which our school is built. This makes. . .
- Texas Christian University Chatham Hall's advisor program is something really unique that has been so helpful to me - one of the best parts about my experience here actually. Students select an advisor and the groups meet twice. . .
- University of Richmond I feel like our school's Honor Code is stronger than any other school I came across when I was researching schools to possibly attend. It makes for a more trusting and tight knit community. I was. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Chatham Hall||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||362 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||160 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1290||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||21||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$60 million||$20 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Jan. 25 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Schaeffer Goss Barnhardt|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Wynne Overton|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Astronomy Club, Bit N Spur Riding Club, Chess Club, Cooking Club, Dance Club, Folk group, Form Advisors, Green Island Club, Hallmarks, Halloween Parade, Honor Council, House (Dorm) Prefects, Improv Drama Club, Linden Hall Choir, Student Senate, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, Drama Club, H Club, House Council, Kick Boxing, Ledger, School Newspaper
|Year: 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of William & Mary||1|
|Savannah College of Art & Design||1|
|University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill||1|
|University of Virginia||1|
- An all-girls college-preparatory boarding school, Chatham Hall offers students a rigorous academic environment, a rich extracurricular program, and a beautiful 362-acre campus. In our small classes, teachers challenge and encourage students to excel academically. Recent graduates have attended Princeton, Dartmouth, Cornell, Georgetown, William & Mary, U.Va., Stanford, and Vanderbilt. Chatham Hall has the highest percentage of boarding students among peer girls schools. More than 70% of the faculty live on campus. The Honor Code is a pivotal part of the school community and faculty members serve as teachers and mentors. Students expand their talents and strengthen their self-confidence through sports, art, riding, drama, music and dance.
- Chatham Hall accreditations: TABS, NAIS, NCGS, VAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Georgia O'Keefe - Artist
- Claudia Emerson - Poet
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Chatham Hall
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 548 students 228.8 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.