Chatham Hall has transformed the 12,256-square-foot Edmund J. and Lucy Lee Library into a dynamic learning commons. It serves as an academic and technological hub for collaborative learning, research, study, and teaching on campus. Versatile meeting and study spaces promote an engaging atmosphere for learning, and integration of more advanced technology opens doors for creative new teaching methods. The library
In small classrooms (averaging 8 students), Chatham Hall teachers challenge girls to excel academically. The majority of our faculty and administration live on campus, and more than 70% of our teachers have advanced degrees. Chatham Hall is also an iPad school, utilizing the latest technology to improve the educational experience and provide our students
Chatham Hall is known for our STEAM offerings-including the award winning FTC Robotics team- The Tutu Turtles!
Chatham Hall's variety of dynamic and unique programming includes the prestigious Leader in Residence Program which brings world leaders and global thinkers to campus to meet with students. Past guests include BBC Anchor Katty Kay Nobel Prize winner Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Jane Goodall, Alvin Ailey Artistic Director Judith Jameson, the late Benazir Bhutto, Gloria Steinem, and Venus Williams.
Whether you ve been riding your whole life or have always wanted to you can find a place in our program. The Chatham Hall campus is home to more than 30 horses, three teaching arenas, a permanent Hunter Trials course, and plenty of trails. We teach hunt seat the Modern Forward Riding System with an emphasis on horse and rider
Chatham Hall offers a competitive athletic program, with nine varsity sports. We've won numerous conference championships, most recently in swimming (four years in a row!), tennis, and field hockey.
- "An all-girls college-preparatory boarding school, Chatham Hall offers students a rigorous academic environment, a rich extracurricular program and a beautiful 362-acre campus.
- In our small classes, teachers challenge and encourage students to excel academically.
- Recent graduates have attended Princeton, Dartmouth, Cornell, Duke, Georgetown, William & Mary, U.Va., Stanford, Vanderbilt and Vassar.
- Chatham Hall has the highest percentage of boarding students among peer girls schools.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Yale University The most important facet of life at Chatham Hall is the strong sense of community. At atmosphere of care, trust, and kindness is the foundation upon which our school is built. This makes. . .
- Texas Christian University Chatham Hall's advisor program is something really unique that has been so helpful to me - one of the best parts about my experience here actually. Students select an advisor and the groups meet twice. . .
- University of Richmond I feel like our school's Honor Code is stronger than any other school I came across when I was researching schools to possibly attend. It makes for a more trusting and tight knit community. I was. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Chatham Hall||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||362 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||140 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1854||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||8 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$60 million||$17 million|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Carney M.H. O'Brien|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||14|
|Sports||Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||23||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Art Club, Astronomy Club, Bit N Spur Riding Club, Chess Club, Cooking Club, Dance Club, French Club, International Club, Latin Club, Leaders in Residence, Literary Magazine, School Newspaper, Service League, Spanish Club, Student Council, Student Senate, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, Drama Club, Niche (Student Rock Band), Panache (Modern Dance Troupe), Sextet - Senior a capella group, St. Mary's Choi
|Year: 2012||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of William & Mary||1|
|Savannah College of Art & Design||1|
|University of North Carolina- Chapel Hill||1|
|University of Virginia||1|
- An all-girls college-preparatory boarding school, Chatham Hall offers students a rigorous academic environment, a rich extracurricular program, and a beautiful 362-acre campus. In our small classes, teachers challenge and encourage students to excel academically. Recent graduates have attended Princeton, Dartmouth, Cornell, Georgetown, William & Mary, U.Va., Stanford, and Vanderbilt. Chatham Hall has the highest percentage of boarding students among peer girls schools. More than 70% of the faculty live on campus. The Honor Code is a pivotal part of the school community and faculty members serve as teachers and mentors. Students expand their talents and strengthen their self-confidence through sports, art, riding, drama, music and dance.
- School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, NCGS, VAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Georgia O'Keefe - Artist
- Claudia Emerson - Poet
- Submit Review for Chatham Hall
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12| 298 students 228.8 miles300 Garrison Forest Road
Owings Mills, MD 21117
February 07, 2018
Because paying for boarding school involves so much money, it makes sense to look at all the options available to you.
January 12, 2018
December 22, 2017
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.