Colorado Timberline Academy
Colorado Timberline Academy Photo #2 - Our kayaking program takes place three days week along with Mt. Biking, Rock Climbing, and Skiing in season.
Colorado Timberline Academy Photo #3 - Our ceramics studio is a core part of arts program along with darkroom photography.
Colorado Timberline Academy Photo #6 - Backpacking in the Weminuche Wilderness right in CTA's backyard.
- Colorado Timberline Academy is a co-ed, secondary boarding/day school dedicated to changing the lives of students who are seeking deeper connection with their peers, teachers, and environment to improve or enhance their academic performance.
- Our campus lies within the San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado within a days reach of alpine and desert wilderness. Outdoor activities such as rock climbing, kayaking, mountain biking, fly-fishing, and backpacking are central to our culture.
- Through our diverse curriculum and outdoor programs, we foster freedom with responsibility, creativity, and respect for self, each other, and the environment.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Fort Lewis College Colorado Timberline Academy is very non-traditional because of the size of the school. You have to be comfortable with living in very close quarters with a limited amount of people for the duration of your. . .
- full sail university This school is unique because it revolves around skiing. I really enjoyed going to this school because there is such a different school curriculum than any other school.. . .
- Oregon State University CTA is very unique in that it works on a bloc system. Students take 3 courses per bloc, and blocs are 4-5 weeks in length. Students are very engaged during the long class. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Colorado Timberline||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||53 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||6 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Ian Altman|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||4||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics, Film Photography
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Colorado Timberline Academy offers a close-knit community with educational and outdoor-oriented excellence:
- A strong academic program for grades 9-12 and post-graduate
- A maximum enrollment of 45 students
- An average class size of eight students
- An outdoor pursuits program that involves every student in an outdoor activity of their choosing: skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, kayaking, fly-fishing, backpacking, rock climbing, and more.
- Three school-wide wilderness trips a year
- An outstanding record of college admissions
- An excellent selection of electives: art, drama, and more
- A structured day that builds good school habits and learning skills
- Creative, highly capable, and non-conforming students who "march to the beat of a different drummer."
- Students who thrive participating in outdoor experiences unique to our Colorado mountain setting which are built into our curriculum.
- Students who respond to an intimate, family atmosphere with small classes and meaningful relationships with teachers and peers.
- Students who could find greater motivation from a non-traditional program.
- Families who need the flexibility of our block system and rolling admissions to make a change mid-stream through the year.
- Students whose academic progress has been interrupted and need to get back on track.
- Students looking for a supportive environment due to family and social difficulties but whose needs do not require a therapeutic program.
- Students who would benefit from more individualized attention and daily structure.
- Families whose careers have made it difficult for their children to have a "home-base."International students who would thrive in a smaller community in order to immerse themselves in American culture.
- LD types supported: Yes
- Colorado Timberline Academy accreditations: Cognia
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Colorado Timberline Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 80 students 682.4 miles235 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2667
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
(530) 583-9393682.49-12, PG80
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Financing a boarding school education can be very confusing for many parents. Here are some strategies to help you understand your options.