Colorado Timberline Academy
Colorado Timberline Academy Photo #2 - Our kayaking program takes place three days week along with Mt. Biking, Rock Climbing, and Skiing in season.
Colorado Timberline Academy Photo #3 - Our ceramics studio is a core part of arts program along with darkroom photography.
Colorado Timberline Academy Photo #6 - Backpacking in the Weminuche Wilderness right in CTA's backyard.
Colorado Timberline Academy is a co-ed, secondary boarding/day school dedicated to changing the lives of students who are seeking deeper connection with their peers, teachers, and environment to improve or enhance their academic performance.
Our campus lies within the San Juan Mountains of Southwest Colorado within a days reach of alpine and desert wilderness. Outdoor activities such as rock climbing, kayaking, mountain biking, fly-fishing, and backpacking are central to our culture.
Through our diverse curriculum and outdoor programs, we foster freedom with responsibility, creativity, and respect for self, each other, and the environment.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Fort Lewis College Colorado Timberline Academy is very non-traditional because of the size of the school. You have to be comfortable with living in very close quarters with a limited amount of people for the duration of your. . .
- full sail university This school is unique because it revolves around skiing. I really enjoyed going to this school because there is such a different school curriculum than any other school.. . .
- Oregon State University CTA is very unique in that it works on a bloc system. Students take 3 courses per bloc, and blocs are 4-5 weeks in length. Students are very engaged during the long class. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Colorado Timberline||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||5-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||53 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||6 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Ian Altman|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||11||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||4||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics, Film Photography
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Colorado Timberline Academy offers a close-knit community with educational and outdoor-oriented excellence:
- A strong academic program for grades 9-12 and post-graduate
- A maximum enrollment of 45 students
- An average class size of eight students
- An outdoor pursuits program that involves every student in an outdoor activity of their choosing: skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, kayaking, fly-fishing, backpacking, rock climbing, and more.
- Three school-wide wilderness trips a year
- An outstanding record of college admissions
- An excellent selection of electives: art, drama, and more
- A structured day that builds good school habits and learning skills
- Creative, highly capable, and non-conforming students who "march to the beat of a different drummer."
- Students who thrive participating in outdoor experiences unique to our Colorado mountain setting which are built into our curriculum.
- Students who respond to an intimate, family atmosphere with small classes and meaningful relationships with teachers and peers.
- Students who could find greater motivation from a non-traditional program.
- Families who need the flexibility of our block system and rolling admissions to make a change mid-stream through the year.
- Students whose academic progress has been interrupted and need to get back on track.
- Students looking for a supportive environment due to family and social difficulties but whose needs do not require a therapeutic program.
- Students who would benefit from more individualized attention and daily structure.
- Families whose careers have made it difficult for their children to have a "home-base."International students who would thrive in a smaller community in order to immerse themselves in American culture.
- LD types supported: Yes
- Colorado Timberline Academy accreditations: Cognia
Profile last updated: 09/24/2020
- Submit Review for Colorado Timberline Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 70 students 682.4 miles255 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2180
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
(530) 583-8665682.49-12, PG70
Are you thinking about sending your daughter off to boarding school? Go for it!
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.
You've tried everything but still your child has serious issues. Perhaps it's time to think about sending him to a residential therapeutic school.