Colorado Timberline Academy
- Colorado Timberline Academy is a non-traditional college preparatory, co-ed, secondary boarding/day school dedicated to changing the lives of students who have experienced difficulties in a previous high school setting.
- Our mission is to prepare students academically and socially for the challenges they face upon graduation.
- Through our diverse curriculum and outdoor programs we foster freedom with responsibility, creativity, and respect for self, each other and the environment.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Fort Lewis College Colorado Timberline Academy is very non-traditional because of the size of the school. You have to be comfortable with living in very close quarters with a limited amount of people for the duration of your. . .
- full sail university This school is unique because it revolves around skiing. I really enjoyed going to this school because there is such a different school curriculum than any other school.. . .
- Oregon State University CTA is very unique in that it works on a bloc system. Students take 3 courses per bloc, and blocs are 4-5 weeks in length. Students are very engaged during the long class. . .
- Oberlin College (BA); Syracuse University (EMPA, Ph.D.) I fell through the cracks at my excellent, but large and competitive, public school in Westchester. At Colorado Timberline Academy, with its unique block system, tiny classes (3 to 6), and intimate atmosphere (we called. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Colorado Timberline||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||53 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||6 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Ian Altman|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Climbing, Cycling, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
Colorado Timberline Academy offers a close-knit community with educational and outdoor-oriented excellence:
- A strong academic program for grades 9-12 and post-graduate
- A maximum enrollment of 50 students
- An average class size of eight students
- An outstanding record of college admissions
- An excellent selection of electives: computers, art, drama and more
- A structured day which builds good school habits and learning skillsA sports activity program which involves every student in outdoor activities: soccer, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, camping, rock climbing and more.
- Students who have not done well in a traditional high school program as a result of poor motivation.
- Students whose academic progress has been interrupted and who need remedial work to get back on track.
- Students who are capable and often highly creative but have struggled to have those strengths realized and recognized. They are seen as "marching to the beat of a different drummer" and may dress or express themselves in a non-traditional and non-conforming manner.
- Non-achieving but capable students who seem to lack motivation to do well in school and who need daily structure to provide incentive for success.
- Students who respond to an intimate, family atmosphere with small classes and a very favorable teacher to student ratio to help students grow academically and socially.
- Students who enjoy the outdoor experiences built into our curriculum and found in our beautiful Colorado mountain setting.
- Students whose behavior and attitude do not require the more restrictive environment of a therapeutic, emotional growth or rehab program but who do not qualify for a traditional boarding school for mainstream, high achieving students.
- Students who do not fit the mainstream of a public school and whose lack of success, often the result of a learning difference or difficulty, may have led to disciplinary problems or minor drug and alcohol issues.
- Students whose lack of academic progress and behavioral issues have likely led to high levels of parental and family conflict.
- Students who have successfully completed a wilderness program or behavior modification program and who are at risk of returning to prior behavior by being placed in a previous school or home environment.
- LD types supported: Yes
- Submit Review for Colorado Timberline Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 100 students 682.5 miles235 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2667
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
- Grades: 8-12| 245 students 712.8 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.