Colorado Timberline Academy
- Colorado Timberline Academy is a non-traditional college preparatory, co-ed, secondary boarding/day school dedicated to changing the lives of students who have experienced difficulties in a previous high school setting.
- Our mission is to prepare students academically and socially for the challenges they face upon graduation.
- Through our diverse curriculum and outdoor programs we foster freedom with responsibility, creativity, and respect for self, each other and the environment.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Fort Lewis College Colorado Timberline Academy is very non-traditional because of the size of the school. You have to be comfortable with living in very close quarters with a limited amount of people for the duration of your. . .
- full sail university This school is unique because it revolves around skiing. I really enjoyed going to this school because there is such a different school curriculum than any other school.. . .
- Oregon State University CTA is very unique in that it works on a bloc system. Students take 3 courses per bloc, and blocs are 4-5 weeks in length. Students are very engaged during the long class. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Colorado Timberline||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||53 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||46 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||6 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Ian Altman|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Climbing, Cycling, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
Colorado Timberline Academy offers a close-knit community with educational and outdoor-oriented excellence:
- A strong academic program for grades 9-12 and post-graduate
- A maximum enrollment of 50 students
- An average class size of eight students
- An outstanding record of college admissions
- An excellent selection of electives: computers, art, drama and more
- A structured day which builds good school habits and learning skillsA sports activity program which involves every student in outdoor activities: soccer, skiing, snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, camping, rock climbing and more.
- Students who have not done well in a traditional high school program as a result of poor motivation.
- Students whose academic progress has been interrupted and who need remedial work to get back on track.
- Students who are capable and often highly creative but have struggled to have those strengths realized and recognized. They are seen as "marching to the beat of a different drummer" and may dress or express themselves in a non-traditional and non-conforming manner.
- Non-achieving but capable students who seem to lack motivation to do well in school and who need daily structure to provide incentive for success.
- Students who respond to an intimate, family atmosphere with small classes and a very favorable teacher to student ratio to help students grow academically and socially.
- Students who enjoy the outdoor experiences built into our curriculum and found in our beautiful Colorado mountain setting.
- Students whose behavior and attitude do not require the more restrictive environment of a therapeutic, emotional growth or rehab program but who do not qualify for a traditional boarding school for mainstream, high achieving students.
- Students who do not fit the mainstream of a public school and whose lack of success, often the result of a learning difference or difficulty, may have led to disciplinary problems or minor drug and alcohol issues.
- Students whose lack of academic progress and behavioral issues have likely led to high levels of parental and family conflict.
- Students who have successfully completed a wilderness program or behavior modification program and who are at risk of returning to prior behavior by being placed in a previous school or home environment.
- LD types supported: Yes
- Submit Review for Colorado Timberline Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 80 students 682.4 miles235 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2667
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
- Grades: 9-12| 249 students 712.7 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Learn about the benefits of attending a Quaker boarding school.
Sustainable schools have become a part of our 21st century educational fabric.
Thinking about sending your tween to boarding school? The personal attention and comprehensive programs which junior boarding schools offer are worth a serious review.