Fountain Valley School of Colorado
5.00 (3 reviews)
6155 Fountain Valley School Road
Colorado Springs, CO 80911
Colorado Springs, CO 80911
FVS takes advantage of its 1,100 acre campus by taking many classes outdoors. The School's signature Peaks, Prairies and Plateaus class weaves together science and history while Mr. Gustke's biology classes visit the prairie with butterfly nets often.
Fountain Valley School offers art classes in ceramics, painting/drawing, jewelry-making (metal-smithing), photography, and film. The Art Barn is dedicated solely to the pursuit of these passions.
The School's English riding team has won two Interscholastic Equestrian Association national titles (2007-2010), and sends riders to nationals every year. There is also a robust Western riding program.
Fountain Valley has gorgeous adobe residence halls where groups of 16-20 students live with a houseparent. It's your home away from home.
Every season at Fountain Valley School has its own beauty. Here students gather outside in September.
Interim is one of the most meaningful experiences students will have at FVS. Every March, groups head off on experiential learning adventures across the United States and the world. Service and learning are core components, along with fun!
Fountain Valley School's prep hockey team travels the country playing in prep tournaments. FVS has a wide variety of sports offerings, from soccer and basketball to indoor climbing and mountain biking.
- "Fountain Valley School attracts success-oriented students who thrive in the small class environment, and would like to live and learn in a community that is defined by opportunities and accomplishments...".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Colorado at Boulder There is a required trip the week before spring break where you can go to the Bahamas to learn about marine life, go to China, France, New Orleans, and many other places. The majority of. . .
- University of Colorado Denver FVS is extremely unique in the sense that it allows students to engage in not just one aspect of life. There is a really healthy balance between academic, athletic, and artistic activities in the schedule. . .
- Colorado College The location in the Rocky Mountain west is unparalleled. The amount of experiential learning that can occur both on campus and in the amazing nature that surrounds our region is unique to FVS. The Western. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Fountain Valley||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||1100 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||226 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1800||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1643 - 2024||-|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$38 million||$17 million|
|Tuition international students||$57,625||$47,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||22700||$22,730|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kila McCann|
|Associate Director of Admissions||O'Neal Turner|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||17|
|Courses||2-D Studio Art, 3-D Studio Art, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Chinese Lanaguage, Computer Science A, English Language, English Literature, Environmental Science, French Language, Physics C, Spanish Language, Spanish Literature, U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||14|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Diving, Equestrian, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Mountaineering, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Academic Honor Society, Admission Ambassador, Athenaea (student newspaper), Big/Little Siblings, Biomedical Sciences Club, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Council, Conservation Corps, Film Club, French Club, Global Affairs Forum, Hispanic Honor Society, International Student Club, Language Clubs and Honors Societies, Matchwits, Math Club, Music Importers Club, Round Square Club, Student Cultural Organization, Student Government, Student Weekend Activity Team (SWAT), The Owl (Yearbook), Varsity Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Art Barn Assistants, Guitar Club, Instrumental, Jazz Club, Vocal Music, Wind Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Mt. Bike Weekend, Ski/Snowboarding Clu
|Year: 2013 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Colorado||18|
|University of Denver||9|
|University of Puget Sound||7|
|Colorado State University||6|
|New York University||5|
|Mount Holyoke College||3|
|University of California, San Diego||3|
|University of Illinois||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Fountain Valley School attracts success-oriented students who thrive in the small class environment, and would like to live and learn in a community that is defined by opportunities and accomplishments.
- At FVS students pursue challenges that hold promise and rewards well beyond a successful college career. The School's academic, arts and athletic programs are greatly enhanced through experiential learning opportunities in the West. Such diverse learning opportunities are unique among the nation's independent secondary schools.
- For 86 years, a Fountain Valley education has been characterized by close interactions with a dedicated and accomplished faculty, and a community environment in which students make lasting friendships. The association with FVS community is a lifetime connection that is maintained and renewed because of the shared belief in the importance of the School's mission. Take a look at FVS from the sky in our drone videos by alumnus Max Seigal '06A View From the SkyAthletics in the Fall
- School accreditations: Association of Colorado Independent Schools
- Submit Review for Fountain Valley School of Colorado
- School Location Miles Grades Students
May 10, 2018
The ideas and suggestions offered here are aimed at the small to medium-sized schools which have limited marketing resources.
May 09, 2018
Inevitably at some point while you are looking at boarding schools, your child will ask what it's like living at boarding school. Here are some answers to those questions.
May 03, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.