P.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Tel: (800) 287-9197
Dunn School Photo #2 - The STEM quad at Dunn, housing the math classrooms, tinker space, makers lab and more.
Dunn School Photo #3 - Donna Frost (Chair of the STEM department) helps a student with his robotics project.
Dunn School Photo #4 - The trees in the center of campus are great spots to catch up on class work while enjoying the California is sunshine.
Dunn School Photo #5 - Dunn School boys soccer has a history of winning league championships and sending graduates of the program on to college programs and the MLS. The team won the State CIF-- Division 6 title in 2020.
Dunn School Photo #6 - Our experiential education trips get students out into the world several times during their time at Dunn. Here, students visit the Channel Islands National Park for March Mini Term.
Dunn School Photo #7 - Dunn students are welcoming and hail from diverse backgrounds. Weekend campus life centers on Munger Common where students can be found playing ultimate frisbee with faculty, catching an outdoor film, or roasting marshmallows around a pit.
Dunn School Photo #8 - Lip Sync Battle-- just one of the activities that happen during the Community Nights throughout the year! This was hosted in the barn (which is also where our theater performances happen).
- Founded in 1957, Dunn School is an independent, college preparatory, 6th through 12th grade coeducational boarding and day school.
- We are located in the heart of the Santa Ynez Valley, in Los Olivos, California, 30 miles from Santa Barbara.
- Dunn School's 60-year old mission is to educate the whole student to his or her fullest potential in preparation for a life of learning and responsible leadership in society. We achieve this by focusing on the development and integration of 5 core values: Social and emotional wellness; physical readiness; intellectual growth; social responsibility; and moral courage.
Upcoming Events and News
- Dunn News Sources - 01/12/2021 - You can access the latest news from Dunn School on the front page of our website: www.dunnschool.org or on our social media page.
- Dunn School Announces New Head of School for 2021 - 10/13/2020 - The Dunn School Board of Trustees has unanimously selected Mr. Kalyan Balaven, currently Director of Teaching and Learning at The Athenian School to succeed Mr. Mike Beck as Head of ...moreSchool upon his retirement in June 2021. Read more about Mr. Balaven on our website. hide
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Dunn School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||58 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||249 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1210||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$8,500|
(Includes tuition, room, board, and activities for 4 weeks.)
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$13 million||$22 million|
(Financial aid and payment plans available. Learning Strategies is an additional fee of $17,000.)
(Financial aid and payment plans available. Learning Strategies is an additional fee.)
|Tuition international students||$66,900||$53,500|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$22,961|
(Not available for Learning Strategies.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Mike Mckee|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Sarah Harris|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|Courses||Advanced Art, Advanced English 11, Advanced U.S. History, Advanced World History, AP Biology, AP Calculus, AP Chemistry, AP Computer Science A, AP Computer Science Principles, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Science, AP Spanish, AP Statistics, English 10 Honors, Math I Honors - Geometry & Algebra, Math II Honors - Data, Models, & Predictions, Math III Honors - Mathematical Analysis, Spanish II Honors, Spanish III Honors, US History Honors|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||8||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Soccer, Softball, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||19||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Affinity Club, Badminton Club, Computer Science Club, Dance Company, Debate Club, Dormitory Council, Film Club, Peer Tutoring Association, Spirit Committee, Student Government, Surf Club, Sustainability Club, Youth 4 Direct Relief Club
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama/Theatre, Dunn School Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Mountain Biking, Pickle Ball, Swimming, Yoga
|Year: 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California - Irvine||2|
|University of California at Los Angeles||2|
|University of Southern California (USC)||2|
|California Polytechnic State University||1|
|New York University||1|
|University of Oregon||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- LD types supported: Mild/Moderate Learning Differences
- Dunn School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, WBSA, SSATB, WASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Mike Boone - Inventor of Boone Boards and highly successful serial entrepreneur.
- Justin Ching '07 - Film maker, professor at USC, and Forbes 30 Under 30 recipient.
- Nyuol Tong '10 - Founder/Publisher of The Bare Life Review and Forbes 30 Under 30 recipient.
- Yoky Matsuoka - Co-founder of Google X, CTO of Google Nest.
- Abu Danladi '19 - MLS recruit and Gatorade National Player of the Year. Currently playing for Nashville Soccer Club.
- Aiden Terry - Oscar-winning animater who worked with Kobe Bryant.
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Dunn School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?