Thacher's 427 acres sit at the foot of the Los Padres National Forest in Southern California's idyllic Ojai Valley. Here, members of the girls' varsity soccer team stretch before an afternoon practice.
In courses designed for intellectual and creative expansion, students and teachers meet in seminar circles, studios, and laboratories to create a learning environment that is vigorous and supportive, galvanizing and nurturing.
Team sport offerings include football, volleyball, cross-country, tennis, basketball, soccer, track and field, lacrosse, and baseball. Students can also choose to participate in yoga, dance, rock climbing, and riding.
Twice a year, the entire school packs up and heads into the wilderness for a week of adventure, challenge, and bonding. Leaders offer a variety of trips focusing on activities such as backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing, and sailing.
Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday before lunch, the community gathers outdoors for Assembly, a time reserved for announcements, presentations, and acknowledgements. The spontaneous spirit of Assembly usually becomes fodder for discussion later in the day.
Though most new students have had little or no experience with horses, each ninth grader spends the first year learning to care for and ride a horse. A long-standing tradition and central part of a Thacher education, the program teaches responsibility, problem solving, and grit in addition to riding skills and rewards participants with heightened self-confidence and awareness.
The Milligan Center for Performing Arts, a 450-seat auditorium, hosts three major stage productions each year as well as multiple performances by the dance ensemble, jazz band, Chamber Singers, and string orchestra. Thacher's vibrant studio art program offers courses in two and three-dimensional art, photography, ceramics, and wood design.
- Founded in 1889, The Thacher School is a coeducational boarding high school located 85 miles north of Los Angeles, California.
- The School serves academically talented students who will benefit from a rigorous college preparatory experience.
- The faculty and students live and work closely together in a community in which cooperation, trust, honesty, and respect are the cornerstones of school life.
- Together, we commit to the belief that demands in the academic classroom, when combined with those of mountains and horses, of sports and the arts, produce independent minds, strong bodies, and powerful character.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Scripps College Thacher is an extremely special place. It's commitment to giving students an excellent education is bolstered by the supportive community, love for nature, and advocacy for personal growth. The outdoor program really sets Thacher apart. . .
- Stanford The most obviously unique aspect of Thacher are the horses. Every freshman is assigned a horse for the year. The freshman must then care for the horse as well as spending most days after school. . .
- Yale University Two concrete things that set Thacher apart from other boarding schools are the Horse Program and the absence of drugs and alcohol. The Horse Program: At Thacher all freshmen learn to care for and ride. . .
- Columbia University One major aspect of Thacher that sets it apart from other schools is the unique, California-mission style. Many boarding schools have architecture that, while very upscale and nice, is not distinctive from others.. . .
- Harvard University What makes Thacher the unique and impressive place it is transcends the typical academics, athletics, and artistic opportunities. It is the Honor Code, founded in the motto of Honor, Fairness, Kindness, and Truth, that shapes. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 329 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms
2016 School Data
|The Thacher School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||427 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||298 students|
|% Students of Color||
|% International Students||
|% Students Boarding||
|Average SAT Score||2075||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1930 - 2220||-|
|Average ACT score||30||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree||
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$141 million||$16 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid||
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$41,400||$21,582|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Average Percentile SSAT||83%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Bill McMahon|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Football, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||23|
|Extracurriculars||Amnesty International Club, California Mathematics League, Chamber, Cheese Club, Chorus, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Club, Computer Network Consultants, Cum Laude, Dance Club, El Archivero (the yearbook), Film Society, Foreign Students' Club, French Club, Games Club, Gourmet Club, Gun Club, Indoor Sports, Instrumental, Latin Club, Literary Society and Symposium, Mad Bomber Ski Society, Prefects, Radio Station, Sir Winston Churchill Debating Society,|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||12|
|Claremont McKenna College||10|
|Universtity of Richmond||8|
- Founded in 1889, The Thacher School is a coeducational boarding high school located 85 miles north of Los Angeles, California. The School serves academically talented students who will benefit from a rigorous college preparatory experience. The faculty and students live and work closely together in a community in which cooperation, trust, honesty, and respect are the cornerstones of school life. Together, we commit to the belief that demands in the academic classroom, when combined with those of mountains and horses, of sports and the arts, produce independent minds, strong bodies, and powerful character.
- School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, WBSA, SSATB
Submit Review for The Thacher School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
June 19, 2017
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.
June 03, 2017
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
June 03, 2017
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.