The Thacher School
The Thacher School Photo #2 - "Education is not merely the making of scholars. It is the making of men and women. It is the training of the younger generation in the art of living for their own greatest good and the greatest good of their fellow citizens." -Sherman Day Thacher
The Thacher School Photo #3 - Thacher's 427 acres sit at the foot of the Los Padres National Forest in Southern California's idyllic Ojai Valley. Here, members of the girls' varsity soccer team stretch before an afternoon practice.
The Thacher School Photo #4 - Team sport offerings include football, volleyball, cross-country, tennis, basketball, soccer, track and field, lacrosse, and baseball. Students can also choose to participate in yoga, dance, rock climbing, and riding.
The Thacher School Photo #5 - Twice a year, the entire school packs up and heads into the wilderness for a week of adventure, challenge, and bonding. Leaders offer a variety of trips focusing on activities such as backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing, and sailing.
The Thacher School Photo #6 - Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday before lunch, the community gathers outdoors for Assembly, a time reserved for announcements, presentations, and acknowledgements. The spontaneous spirit of Assembly usually becomes fodder for discussion later in the day.
The Thacher School Photo #7 - State-of-the-art dormitories incorporate as much of Thacher's beautiful outdoor space as possible.
The Thacher School Photo #8 - Though most new students have had little or no experience with horses, each ninth grader spends the first year learning to care for and ride a horse. A long-standing tradition and central part of a Thacher education, the program teaches responsibility, problem solving, and grit in addition to riding skills and rewards participants with heightened self-confidence and awareness.
The Thacher School Photo #9 - The Milligan Center for Performing Arts, a 450-seat auditorium, hosts three major stage productions each year as well as multiple performances by the dance ensemble, jazz band, Chamber Singers, and string orchestra. Thacher's vibrant studio art program offers courses in two and three-dimensional art, photography, ceramics, and wood design.
Founded in 1889, The Thacher School is a coeducational boarding high school located 85 miles north of Los Angeles, California.
The School serves academically talented students who will benefit from a rigorous college preparatory experience.
The faculty and students live and work closely together in a community in which cooperation, trust, honesty, and respect are the cornerstones of school life.
Together, we commit to the belief that demands in the academic classroom, when combined with those of mountains and horses, of sports and the arts, produce independent minds, strong bodies, and powerful character.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College The tight knit community is a really rare quality at high schools in general but especially boarding schools. The relationships with teachers and students is so close and the fact that there is very few. . .
- University of Montana The horse department at Thacher is both unique and outstanding. Unique because the school strives to keep the cowboy culture alive with over 100 horses and a fully outfitted western riding center. It is outstanding. . .
- Yale I loved Thacher because of the deep, respectful, and genuine connections in the community. Students, faculty, and staff were all so supportive to ensure I was the happiest and most challenged I could be. During. . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
The Thacher School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 306 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|The Thacher School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||427 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||254 students||302 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1450||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1260 - 1510||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||6:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$170.6 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$47,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Bill McMahon|
|Associate Director of Admissions||A.J. Yates|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Football, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||20||24|
|Extracurriculars||Prefects, Quilting, Sir Winston Churchill Debating Society, Spanish Club|
Club or Organization:
Amnesty International Club, Black Student Union, Cheese Club, Christian Fellowship Club, Indoor, Latinos Unidos, Literary Society, Multi-ethnic Student Union, Robotics Club, Spectrum, The Notes, United Cultures of Thacher
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, Thacher Masquers
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness/Challenge Fitness, Thacher Pack & Spur Club
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||12|
|Claremont McKenna College||10|
|Universtity of Richmond||8|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1889, The Thacher School is a coeducational boarding high school located 85 miles north of Los Angeles, California. The School serves academically talented students who will benefit from a rigorous college preparatory experience. The faculty and students live and work closely together in a community in which cooperation, trust, honesty, and respect are the cornerstones of school life. Together, we commit to the belief that demands in the academic classroom, when combined with those of mountains and horses, of sports and the arts, produce independent minds, strong bodies, and powerful character.
- The Thacher School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, WBSA, SSATB
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for The Thacher School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.