The Thacher School
Thacher's 427 acres sit at the foot of the Los Padres National Forest in Southern California's idyllic Ojai Valley. Here, members of the girls' varsity soccer team stretch before an afternoon practice.
In courses designed for intellectual and creative expansion, students and teachers meet in seminar circles, studios, and laboratories to create a learning environment that is vigorous and supportive, galvanizing and nurturing.
Team sport offerings include football, volleyball, cross-country, tennis, basketball, soccer, track and field, lacrosse, and baseball. Students can also choose to participate in yoga, dance, rock climbing, and riding.
Twice a year, the entire school packs up and heads into the wilderness for a week of adventure, challenge, and bonding. Leaders offer a variety of trips focusing on activities such as backpacking, kayaking, rock climbing, and sailing.
Every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday before lunch, the community gathers outdoors for Assembly, a time reserved for announcements, presentations, and acknowledgements. The spontaneous spirit of Assembly usually becomes fodder for discussion later in the day.
Though most new students have had little or no experience with horses, each ninth grader spends the first year learning to care for and ride a horse. A long-standing tradition and central part of a Thacher education, the program teaches responsibility, problem solving, and grit in addition to riding skills and rewards participants with heightened self-confidence and awareness.
The Milligan Center for Performing Arts, a 450-seat auditorium, hosts three major stage productions each year as well as multiple performances by the dance ensemble, jazz band, Chamber Singers, and string orchestra. Thacher's vibrant studio art program offers courses in two and three-dimensional art, photography, ceramics, and wood design.
- Founded in 1889, The Thacher School is a coeducational boarding high school located 85 miles north of Los Angeles, California.
- The School serves academically talented students who will benefit from a rigorous college preparatory experience.
- The faculty and students live and work closely together in a community in which cooperation, trust, honesty, and respect are the cornerstones of school life.
- Together, we commit to the belief that demands in the academic classroom, when combined with those of mountains and horses, of sports and the arts, produce independent minds, strong bodies, and powerful character.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Pitzer College The tight knit community is a really rare quality at high schools in general but especially boarding schools. The relationships with teachers and students is so close and the fact that there is very few. . .
- University of Montana The horse department at Thacher is both unique and outstanding. Unique because the school strives to keep the cowboy culture alive with over 100 horses and a fully outfitted western riding center. It is outstanding. . .
- Yale I loved Thacher because of the deep, respectful, and genuine connections in the community. Students, faculty, and staff were all so supportive to ensure I was the happiest and most challenged I could be. During. . .
- Yale University You cannot mention Thacher without talking about the horse program; each freshman is required to take care of and ride a horse for the first year of high school. I rode all four years and. . .
- Dartmouth College One thing that makes Thacher unique are the opportunities to form close, meaningful relationships with teachers and its commitment to helping students grow personally as well as academically. Whether it's out in the Domelands wilderness. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|The Thacher School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||427 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||246 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1920 - 2150||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||18||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$137 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$44,620||$22,700|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Bill McMahon|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||14|
|Sports||Ballet, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Dance, Equestrian, Football, Lacrosse, Rock Climbing, Soccer, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||32||23|
|Extracurriculars||Amnesty International Club, California Mathematics League, Chamber, Cheese Club, Chorus, Christian Fellowship Club, Community Service Club, Computer Network Consultants, Cum Laude, Dance Club, El Archivero (the yearbook), Film Society, Foreign Students' Club, French Club, Games Club, Gourmet Club, Gun Club, Indoor Sports, Instrumental, Latin Club, Literary Society and Symposium, Mad Bomber Ski Society, Prefects, Radio Station, Sir Winston Churchill Debating Society, Spanish Club, Student Government, Thacher Masquers, Thacher Pack & Spur Club, The Notes, United Cultures of Thacher, Women's Chorus|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|New York University||12|
|Claremont McKenna College||10|
|Universtity of Richmond||8|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Founded in 1889, The Thacher School is a coeducational boarding high school located 85 miles north of Los Angeles, California. The School serves academically talented students who will benefit from a rigorous college preparatory experience. The faculty and students live and work closely together in a community in which cooperation, trust, honesty, and respect are the cornerstones of school life. Together, we commit to the belief that demands in the academic classroom, when combined with those of mountains and horses, of sports and the arts, produce independent minds, strong bodies, and powerful character.
- School accreditations: TABS, NAIS, WBSA, SSATB
- Submit Review for The Thacher School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 05, 2018
Small class sizes are one of the main reasons why you send your child to boarding school. Here's why small class sizes work.
January 12, 2018
December 22, 2017
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.