Lake Tahoe Preparatory School
255 Squaw Valley Road | P.O. Box 2180
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
Olympic Valley, CA 96146
Tel: (530) 583-8665
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #2 - Students may ski or snowboard daily during the winter months. Lake Tahoe Prep is located 1 mile from Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows Ski Resort.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #3 - The LTP Courtyard separates the dormitories and gives students a quiet place to converse. Students reside in one of three dormitories on campus. The new dormitory uses south-facing solar panels to take full advantage of the average 300 days of sunshine to reduce our environmental footprint.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #4 - Lake Tahoe is a premier world-renown resort destination year-round. The blue skies, clear water, dense forests, and deep snow make it a haven for for everyone - from outdoor enthusiasts to authors and explorers.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #5 - Our small class sizes, averaging 7 students, allow teachers to provide increased individual instruction.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #6 - Students may take full advantage of the LTP Art Studio. The Art Studio offers resources for drawing/sketching, painting, photography, and ceramics.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #7 - Many students enjoy recording music in the recording studio.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #8 - Students reside in adult-supervised dormitories. Due to Covid 19 the students are living in private rooms. Rooms are furnished with beds, dressers/clothing storage, desks & chairs, in-room dormitory refrigerators, and individual combination in-room safes for students to store their valuables. Most dorm rooms include en-suite bathrooms.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School Photo #9 - LTP serves house-made meals. A fresh salad bar is available each day, and there are ample, year-round fresh fruits and snacks between meals. We also offer vegetarian options and can accommodate some special dietary needs.
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School is private, college-preparatory boarding school located at Lake Tahoe, California.
We enroll students who are between 14 and 18 years of age in high school and accept International Students.
LTP has 100% acceptance to U.S. universities and 4-Year colleges.
All graduates receive an average of 3 University or 4-Year College acceptances.
Students may attend in-person or online classes for grades 9-12, or short-term for one semester, one academic year, or summer school.
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Lake Tahoe Preparatory School is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 305 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Lake Tahoe||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||3 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||70 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1350||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1250 - 1500||-|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Solid colored shirt with collar.)
|Average Class Size||7 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$4,000|
(4000 for each 3 week session)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Adrienne Forbes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|Courses||AP Biology, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Chemistry, AP English Language & Composition, AP English Literature and Composition, AP Macroeconomics, AP Microeconomics, AP Psychology, AP Spanish Language and Culture, AP Studio Art, AP U. S. History, AP U.S. Government and Politics, AP World History, Physics B, Psychology|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||19||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Badminton, Basketball, Bowling, Climbing, Cross Country, Cycling, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||25||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Community Service Club, National Honor Society, Student Newspaper, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Ceramics Club, Music Instruction
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Backpacking Club, Badminton Club, Basketball Club, Bouldering, Camping Club, Hiking Club, Indoor Rock Climbing, Kayaking, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Sea Kayaking, Swimming, Tennis, Ultimate Frisbee, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Yoga
|Year: 2016 - 2020||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of California, Irvine||4|
|California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo||2|
|Berklee College of Music||1|
|Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University||1|
|University of Massachusetts, Boston||1|
|University of Pittsburgh||1|
|University of San Francisco||1|
|Universtiy of California, Berkeley||1|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- At Lake Tahoe Preparatory School, we believe all our students deserve a robust education designed to meet them where they are in their academic journey, and those journeys are very different depending on the student.Our unique program fosters the success of each and every student. Our low student to faculty ratio of 7:1 inspires a superior academic program built on individualized learning and meaningful relationships. Our students benefit from taking part in the best outdoor sports Lake Tahoe offers, including big mountain skiing, and our wellness model prioritizes the physical, emotional, and social health of our students. Lake Tahoe Preparatory School provides a nurturing environment for each student to develop competency and confidence along their academic and social journeys.Lake Tahoe Preparatory School meets students where they are in their academic journey. We champion lifelong intellectual curiosity, physical fitness, and personal resilience. We achieve 100 percent university acceptance, and our students graduate ready to learn, ready to launch, ready to lead.In 2020, we marked the 42-year anniversary of our school with a name change to Lake Tahoe Preparatory School. Our new name signifies our role in preparing our students to be ready to learn, ready to launch, and ready to lead as they pursue their education now at Lake Tahoe, California and in their global future.
- LD types supported: Dyslexia/Mild Learning Differences
- Lake Tahoe Preparatory School accreditations: Middle States Association of Schools and Colleges; National Independent Private School Association (NIPSA); AdvancED/Cognia
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Christopher Harlem - VOSS WATER ASA Founder CEO, HARLEM FOODS AG
- Martin Rasinger - CEO, BagJump Action Sports
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Lake Tahoe Preparatory School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 249 students 314.6 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Families who live outside the United States and who are not American citizens or Permanent Residents have to deal with a couple of additional steps when thinking of sending their children to an American boarding school.
Determining which programs are 'must haves' is an important part of choosing the right boarding school for your child.
Are you wondering whether boarding school is right for your child? Answer these five questions and you will be better able to determine whether it is.