Idyllwild Arts Academy
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #2 - Idyllwild Arts has five dormitories, each with their own unique culture. Students are housed two to a room, and most dorms feature en-suite bathrooms.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #3 - The Visual Arts at Idyllwild Arts Academy encompasses many things. Our students ground their work in Drawing and Painting, but also explore Sculpture, Ceramics, Printmaking, Graphic Design and Photography.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #4 - Krone Library is home to countless resources and study spaces for IAA students as well as the College Counseling Office. Our College Counseling staff work with our students throughout their time at the Academy, helping them prepare for the next step in their artistic journey.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #5 - Creative Writers have the chance to study fiction, nonfiction, poetry, dramatic writing, and screenwriting in an intimate, workshop-driven department.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #6 - The Music Department offers concentrations in Classical Music, Voice and Piano; Jazz Music, Voice and Piano; and Songwriting. Our curriculum combines performance opportunities with music academics and private lessons with some of the top musicians in Southern California.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #7 - The Academy's Dance Department offers students training in ballet, modern, jazz, and tap. Students spend many hours in the studio each day, honing their talent with American Ballet Theatre trained faculty.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #8 - InterArts and Fashion Design offers students the chance to explore and combined multiple art forms or to focus in Fashion Design. Students present their work in two fully choreographed Fashion Shows each year.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #9 - Theatre students can choose to focus in Acting, Musical Theatre or Theatre Design and Production while at Idyllwild Arts. With at least 9 performances a year, our students stay busy learning about all aspects of theatre and graduate with resumes that show skill in performance, costume design, lighting, sound, set construction, stage management and directing.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #10 - The Film & Digital Media program offers pre-professional training in film, television and new media production. As the industry is undergoing constant change, in both production technology and business practices, the program gives special attention to preparing students for a career that is not entirely predictable. Applying traditional skills to new digital environments and global platforms is the key. The ability to write well, create powerful images, articulate ideas, collaborate within a diverse community and adjust to new and surprising situations are the hallmarks of success.
- The Idyllwild Arts Academy is the country`s premier and internationally-acclaimed residential arts high school (9th-12th; PG) (August through May) which provides pre-professional training in the arts and a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum to a diverse student body of gifted young artists.
- Idyllwild Arts Academy's 318 students hail from more than 35 countries and 29 States to pursue artistic excellence in Music, Theatre, Dance, Visual Art, Creative Writing, Film & Digital Media, InterArts, and Fashion Design.
- Graduates of Idyllwild Arts Academy currently excel in every professional field of the arts including Broadway, Film and Television, Classical and Jazz music, Design, Photography and more.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Chapman University Living on campus surrounds you with your education and makes you think about it in the context of your life in a more efficient way than traditional high school. The arts focus offers more connection. . .
- I will attend the University of British Columbia. The school is highly international, so my closest friends were from all over the world. The diversity created a really unique class dynamic with perspectives I never would've thought of. The arts focus was also. . .
- Tufts University The close student/teacher relationships Natural environment to hike and live in Arts focus . . .
Top 20 Placements
All Schools Similar Size Schools
Idyllwild Arts Academy is listed among the top 20 boarding schools (out of 332 schools) for:
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Idyllwild Arts||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||206 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||318 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1100||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No Dress Code)
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,265|
(Various programs for students age 5-105. Prices vary based on program and program length. )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$18 million|
(2019-2020 Academic Year. Does not include fees.)
(Does not include fees. )
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000|
(Granted based on Merit, Talent, and Need.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Apr. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Tara Sechrest|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jara Ruiz-Anchia|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||17|
|Courses||Advanced Honors Biology, Honors Acting Seminar (Theatre Majors), Honors American Literature, Honors Calculus, Honors Calculus II, Honors Chemistry, Honors Classics in Western Literature, Honors Counterpoint (Music Majors), Honors French, Honors Gov & Econ, Honors History of Western Civ, Honors Literature of Western Thought, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish, Honors Technical Theatre Seminar (Theatre Majors), Honors U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||15|
|Sports||Ballet, Climbing, Dance, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Animal Rights Club, Archery Club, Environment Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Hiking Club, Movie Club, National Honor Society, Peers' Ears, Prefects, Running Club, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Pre-Professional Training in the Arts
|Year: 1999 - 2003||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Michigan||10|
|San Francisco Art Institute||8|
|Rhode Island School of Design||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Arts Academy is located 5500 feet up in the mountains above Palm Springs in the San Bernardino National Forest. We are 2 hours from Los Angeles, 2 hours from San Diego and 1 hour from Palm Springs.
- Academic classes are held Monday-Friday mornings and arts classes are held from 2:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. There could be Saturday classes depending on major.
- Upon graduation our students are accepted to Juilliard, Brown, Oberlin, University of the Arts London, Parsons, Johns Hopkins, USC, Stanford, Yale, UCLA, Chicago Arts Institute, CalArts, Rhode Island School of Design, Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, University of Michigan, and NYU, just to name a few.
- LD types supported: Support offered on an individual basis.
- Idyllwild Arts Academy accreditations: WASC, Western Boarding School Association (WBSA), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), NETWORK of Performing and Visual Art Schools, Secondary School Admission Test Board (SSATB), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), Counci
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Shepard Fairy - Graphic Artist and Designer
- Neal Beasley - Princess Grace Award Winner - Modern Dance, Trisha Brown Dance Company
- Orpheo McChord - Percussionist, Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros
- Casey Abrams - American Idol 2011 Finalist
- Trevor Hall - Recording Artist
- Marin Ireland - Tony Award Nominated Actress
- Elora Hardy - Founder of IBUKU in Bali, Indonesia
- Cristy Candler - Broadway Musical Theater Actress
- Vesselin Gelev - Associate Concertmaster - London Philharmonic
- Liang Wang - Principal Oboe - New York Philharmonic
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Idyllwild Arts Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.