Idyllwild Arts Academy
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #2 - Idyllwild Arts Academy is home to 310 students from 35 countries and 26 US states, all devoted to intensive study of the arts. Located 2 hours from Los Angeles, 2 hours from San Diego, and 1 hour from Palm Springs, the Academy is an artistic crossroads for Southern California.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #3 - Idyllwild Arts has five dormitories, each with their own unique culture. Students are housed two to a room, and most dorms feature en-suite bathrooms.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #4 - The Visual Arts at Idyllwild Arts Academy encompasses many things. Our students ground their work in Drawing and Painting, but also explore Sculpture, Ceramics, Printmaking, Graphic Design and Photography.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #5 - Krone Library is home to countless resources and study spaces for IAA students as well as the College Counseling Office. Our College Counseling staff work with our students throughout their time at the Academy, helping them prepare for the next step in their artistic journey.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #6 - Creative Writers have the chance to study fiction, nonfiction, poetry, dramatic writing, and screenwriting in an intimate, workshop-driven department.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #7 - The Music Department offers concentrations in Classical Music, Voice and Piano; Jazz Music, Voice and Piano; and Songwriting. Our curriculum combines performance opportunities with music academics and private lessons with some of the top musicians in Southern California.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #8 - The Academy's Dance Department offers students training in ballet, modern, jazz, and tap. Students spend many hours in the studio each day, honing their talent with American Ballet Theatre trained faculty.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #9 - Theatre students can choose to focus in Acting, Musical Theatre or Theatre Design and Production while at Idyllwild Arts. With at least 9 performances a year, our students stay busy learning about all aspects of theatre and graduate with resumes that show skill in performance, costume design, lighting, sound, set construction, stage management and directing.
Idyllwild Arts Academy Photo #10 - The Film & Digital Media program offers pre-professional training in film, television and new media production. As the industry is undergoing constant change, in both production technology and business practices, the program gives special attention to preparing students for a career that is not entirely predictable. Applying traditional skills to new digital environments and global platforms is the key. The ability to write well, create powerful images, articulate ideas, collaborate within a diverse community and adjust to new and surprising situations are the hallmarks of success.
The Idyllwild Arts Academy is the country`s premier and internationally-acclaimed residential arts high school (9th-12th; PG) (August through May) which provides pre-professional training in the arts and a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum to a diverse student body of gifted young artists.
Idyllwild Arts Academy's 320 students hail from more than 35 countries and 29 States to pursue artistic excellence in Music, Theatre, Dance, Visual Arts, Creative Writing, Film & Digital Media, InterArts, and Fashion Design.
Graduates of Idyllwild Arts Academy currently excel in every professional field of the arts including Broadway, Film and Television, Classical and Jazz music, Design, Photography and more.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Belmont University Idyllwild Arts has an incredibly unique community of faculty and students. Since the campus and the town of Idyllwild is so isolated, those who live there become very close to each other.. . .
- DePaul University Living in the incredible town of Idyllwild is a really incredible setting for any aspiring artists around the high school age. It was inspiring to be living in nature while also being close enough to. . .
- Chapman University Living on campus surrounds you with your education and makes you think about it in the context of your life in a more efficient way than traditional high school. The arts focus offers more connection. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|Idyllwild Arts||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||206 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||320 students||306 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1100||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||27||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(No Dress Code)
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,265|
(Various programs for students age 5-105. Prices vary based on program and program length. )
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$23 million|
(2019-2020 Academic Year. Does not include fees.)
(Does not include fees. )
|Tuition international students||$67,091||$53,848|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$30,000|
(Granted based on Merit, Talent, and Need.)
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Apr. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Tara Sechrest|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jara Ruiz-Anchia|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||19||18|
|Courses||Advanced Honors Biology, Honors Acting Seminar (Theatre Majors), Honors American Literature, Honors Calculus, Honors Calculus II, Honors Chemistry, Honors Classics in Western Literature, Honors Counterpoint (Music Majors), Honors French, Honors Gov & Econ, Honors History of Western Civ, Honors Literature of Western Thought, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish, Honors Technical Theatre Seminar (Theatre Majors), Honors U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||6||16|
|Sports||Ballet, Climbing, Dance, Mountain Biking, Rock Climbing, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Animal Rights Club, Archery Club, Environment Club, Gay Straight Alliance, Hiking Club, Movie Club, National Honor Society, Peers' Ears, Prefects, Running Club, Student Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Pre-Professional Training in the Arts
|Year: 1999 - 2003||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Michigan||10|
|San Francisco Art Institute||8|
|Rhode Island School of Design||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Arts Academy is located 5500 feet up in the mountains above Palm Springs in the San Bernardino National Forest. We are 2 hours from Los Angeles, 2 hours from San Diego and 1 hour from Palm Springs.
- Academic classes are held Monday-Friday mornings and arts classes are held from 2:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. There could be Saturday classes depending on major.
- Upon graduation our students are accepted to Juilliard, Brown, Oberlin, University of the Arts London, Parsons, Johns Hopkins, USC, Stanford, Yale, UCLA, Chicago Arts Institute, CalArts, Rhode Island School of Design, Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, University of Michigan, and NYU, just to name a few.
- LD types supported: Support offered on an individual basis.
- Idyllwild Arts Academy accreditations: WASC, Western Boarding School Association (WBSA), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), NETWORK of Performing and Visual Art Schools, Secondary School Admission Test Board (SSATB), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), Counci
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Shepard Fairy - Graphic Artist and Designer
- Neal Beasley - Princess Grace Award Winner - Modern Dance, Trisha Brown Dance Company
- Orpheo McChord - Percussionist, Edward Sharp and the Magnetic Zeros
- Casey Abrams - American Idol 2011 Finalist
- Trevor Hall - Recording Artist
- Marin Ireland - Tony Award Nominated Actress
- Elora Hardy - Founder of IBUKU in Bali, Indonesia
- Cristy Candler - Broadway Musical Theater Actress
- Vesselin Gelev - Associate Concertmaster - London Philharmonic
- Liang Wang - Principal Oboe - New York Philharmonic
- Submit Review for Idyllwild Arts Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12| 249 students 201.7 milesP.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
In the United States and throughout the world, it is well-documented that even though boys score as well as girls on standardized tests, they are less likely to receive good grades, take advanced courses,and attend college. Learn how boys schools can help address these concerns.
As amazing as it sounds, corporal punishment is still legal in over 20 states. Fortunately private schools banned the practice many decades ago.
There are many reasons to go to boarding school. The academics, the athletics and the extracurricular activities are just a few considerations. Here are the 10 top reasons why you should go to boarding school.