Idyllwild Arts Academy
5.00 (14 reviews)
52500 Temecula Road P.O. Box 38
Idyllwild, CA 92549
Idyllwild, CA 92549
The Music Department offers concentrations in Classical Music, Voice and Piano; Jazz Music, Voice and Piano; and Songwriting. Our curriculum combines performance opportunities with music academics and private lessons with some of the top musicians in Southern California.
Idyllwild Arts has five dormitories, each with their own unique culture. Students are housed two to a room, and most dorms feature en-suite bathrooms.
The Academy's Dance Department offers students training in ballet, modern, jazz, and tap. Students spend many hours in the studio each day, honing their talent with American Ballet Theatre trained faculty.
InterArts offers students the chance to explore and combined multiple art forms or to focus in Fashion Design. Students present their work in two fully choreographed Fashion Shows each year.
The Visual Arts at Idyllwild Arts Academy encompasses many things. Our students ground their work in Drawing and Painting, but also explore Sculpture, Ceramics, Printmaking, Graphic Design and Photography.
Krone Library is home to countless resources and study spaces for IAA students as well as the College Counseling Office. Our College Counseling staff work with our students throughout their time at the Academy, helping them prepare for the next step in their artistic journey.
The Moving Pictures Department offers hands-on training in film for students interested in becoming screenwriters, cinematographers, sound designers, film editors, directors and countless other jobs. Just two hours from Hollywood, the possibilities are endless.
Creative Writers have the chance to study fiction, nonfiction, poetry, dramatic writing, and screenwriting in an intimate, workshop-driven department.
Theatre students can choose to focus in Acting, Musical Theatre or Theatre Design and Production while at Idyllwild Arts. With at least 9 performances a year, our students stay busy learning about all aspects of theatre and graduate with resumes that show skill in performance, costume design, lighting, sound, set construction, stage management and directing.
- The Idyllwild Arts Academy is the country`s premier and internationally-acclaimed residential arts high school (9th-12th; PG) (August through May) which provides pre-professional training in the arts and a comprehensive college preparatory curriculum to a diverse student body of gifted young artists.
- Idyllwild Arts Academy's 310 students hail from more than 35 countries and pursue artistic excellence in Music, Theatre, Dance, Visual Art, Creative Writing, Film & Digital Media, InterArts / Fashion Design.
- Graduates of Idyllwild Arts Academy currently excel in every professional field of the arts including Broadway theatre, primetime television, classical and jazz music, motion pictures, graphic design, photography and more.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Chapman University Living on campus surrounds you with your education and makes you think about it in the context of your life in a more efficient way than traditional high school. The arts focus offers more connection. . .
- I will attend the University of British Columbia. The school is highly international, so my closest friends were from all over the world. The diversity created a really unique class dynamic with perspectives I never would've thought of. The arts focus was also. . .
- Tufts University The close student/teacher relationships Natural environment to hike and live in Arts focus . . .
- Dominican University of California The fact that Idyllwild Arts is located in the middle of mountain I think it is the most unique aspect about this school. The teachers plus the environment make a perfect combination for an artist. . .
- Hiram College Idyllwild Arts Academy is truly a unique experience. There are just over 300 students, so your friends and even acquaintances really become like family. I personally really like the way that the schedule works. Being. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Idyllwild Arts||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||Pre-prof. Arts / College-prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||208 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||310 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1480||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Less than once a month||Less than once a month|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||27||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$17 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / Apr. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Tara Sechrest|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jara Ruiz-Anchia|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||27||17|
|Courses||Advanced Honors Biology, Honors Acting Seminar (Theatre Majors), Honors American Literature, Honors Calculus, Honors Calculus II, Honors Chemistry, Honors Classics in Western Literature, Honors Counterpoint (Music Majors), Honors French, Honors Gov & Econ, Honors History of Western Civ, Honors Literature of Western Thought, Honors Physics, Honors Pre-Calculus, Honors Spanish, Honors Technical Theatre Seminar (Theatre Majors), Honors U.S. History|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||7||23|
Club or Organization:
Non-competetive, Peer, Student, Tour
Arts and Music Programs:
|Year: 1999 - 2003||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Michigan||10|
|San Francisco Art Institute||8|
|Rhode Island School of Design||6|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Arts Academy is located 5300 feet up in the mountains above Palm Springs in the San Bernardino National Forest. We are 2 hours from Los Angeles, 2 hours from San Diego and 1 hour from Palm Springs.
- Academic classes are held Monday-Friday mornings and arts classes are held from 2:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Upon graduation our students are accepted to Juilliard, Curtis, Oberlin, Peabody, Johns Hopkins, USC, Stanford, Yale, UCLA, San Francisco Conservatory, Chicago Arts Institute, CalArts, Rhode Island School of Design, University of Michigan and NYU, just to name a few.
- School accreditations: WASC, Western Boarding School Association (WBSA), National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), NETWORK of Performing and Visual Art Schools, Secondary School Admission Test Board (SSATB), California Association of Independent Schools (CAIS), Counci
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Shepard Fairy - Graphic Artist and Designer
- Neal Beasley - Princess Grace Award Winner - Modern Dance, Trisha Brown Dance Company
- Liang Wang - Principal Oboe - New York Philharmonic
- Casey Abrams - American Idol 2011 Finalist
- Trevor Hall - Recording Artist
- Marin Ireland - Tony Award Nominated Actress
- Elora Hardy - Sole Print Designer for Donna Karan
- Cristy Candler - Broadway Musical Theater Actress
- Vesselin Gelev - Associate Concertmaster - London Philharmonic
- Bei Zhu - Co-Concertmistress - Hong Kong Philharmonic
- Submit Review for Idyllwild Arts Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
February 07, 2018
Because paying for boarding school involves so much money, it makes sense to look at all the options available to you.
January 12, 2018
December 22, 2017
Actually, there is no secret to getting your child into boarding school. Just a lot of hard work and a heavy commitment of time.