Most Selective Boarding Schools
- Among "Schools with 200-400 Students", view the boarding schools with the lowest acceptance rates (2018-19).
- Acceptance rates listed below reflect the average rate of acceptance for all applicants (boarding and day applicants) in the previous year.
- Keep in mind that acceptance rates may be lower or higher than the average acceptance rate depending on: what grade you are applying for, whether you are a boarding applicant or day student applicant, and the time of year you are applying.
- Schools typically have the most openings for freshmen and sophomores (many schools do not accept incoming seniors), so applying for entrance into 9th or 10th grade may improve your chances of admission.
- Acceptance rates between boarding applicants and day student applicants may differ (i.e., schools in certain areas may a higher ratio of day student applicants to day student openings, versus boarding applicants to boarding openings; the acceptance rate of some schools will actually be lower for day applicants and higher for boarding applicants).
- Many, but not all, schools will accept applications after application deadlines, but admission generally becomes more difficult.
The Cambridge School of Weston Photo - All of our amazing weekend activities are included in tuition. So it's easy to sign up with your friends to see Blue Man Group or the Red Sox or any one of a million fun adventures in the greater Boston area!
Villanova Preparatory School Photo - Founded in 1924, Villanova Prep is the only Catholic boarding school in the Augustinian tradition. In this supportive environment steeped in Catholic values, students are comfortable taking risks and learning more about themselves throughout their Villanova experience.
Proctor Academy Photo - Proctor`s campus includes over forty-five buildings, twenty small dormitories, its own privately owned and operated ski hill, state of the art classrooms and art facilities, 3,000 acres of forest and ponds surrounding beautiful natural and synthetic playing fields that are tucked against Ragged Mountain`s south slope.
St. Timothy's School Photo - The Commons is equal parts living room and dining room. The newest building on campus, the Commons is a gathering space that houses the dining hall and the new Redlands Cafe.
St. Bernard Preparatory School Photo - Enjoying Lake St. Bernard on the more than 800 acres of St. Bernard Abbey . . . a perfect place to relax, study, or just hang out with friends!
Concord Academy Photo - Elizabeth B. Hall Chapel is a frequent gathering place for the CA community, particularly for Senior Chapel Talks that begin three or four of our mornings every week.
Admiral Farragut Academy Photo - All dorm rooms have a private bathroom and many have waterfront views.
Lowest Acceptance Rates (2018-19)
Among Schools with 200-400 Students (out of 86 schools)
Sorted by range (alphabetically within range)
- Boarding School Acceptance Rate Grades Location
- 21.-27. 45%-50%
Grades: 8-12 | 6-12 (day)
P.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Grades: 9-12, PG | 6-12, PG (day)
230 Bushy Hill Road
Simsbury, CT 06070
17641 College Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Grades: 3-9 | K-9 (day)
94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- 48.-65. 60%-70%
500 Christ School Road
Asheville, NC 28704
Grades: 8-12 | Pre-K-12 (day)
8150 Oliver Rd.
Erie, PA 16510
Grades: 6-9 | Pre-K-9 (day)
211 Indian Mountain Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
Grades: 9-12, PG
1888 Brett Lane
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Grades: 6-12, PG | Pre-K-12, PG (day)
18 Goodfriend Drive
East Hampton, NY 11937
304 S. Beach Blvd.
Bay St. Louis, MS 39520
Grades: 8-12, PG | 7-12, PG (day)
700 Route 22
Pawling, NY 12564
62 Alumni Drive
Canaan, NH 03741
66 School Street
Granby, MA 01033
Grades: 7-12, PG
320 Iwo Jima Blvd
Harlingen, TX 78550
1000 Green St.
Atchison, KS 66002
22520 Mount Michael Road
Elkhorn, NE 68022
Grades: 5-9 | K-9 (day)
201 Romford Road
Washington Depot, CT 06794
1600 St. Bernard Drive, S.E.
Cullman, AL 35055
Grades: 6-12 | 4-12 (day)
2801 Ranch Road 12
San Marcos, TX 78666
Grades: 9-12 | Pre-K-12 (day)
1 Community School Drive
Sun Valley, ID 83353
Top School Listings by Category (2018-19)
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.