Most Selective Boarding Schools
- Among "Schools with 200-400 Students", view the boarding schools with the lowest acceptance rates (2018-19).
- Acceptance rates listed below reflect the average rate of acceptance for all applicants (boarding and day applicants) in the previous year.
- Keep in mind that acceptance rates may be lower or higher than the average acceptance rate depending on: what grade you are applying for, whether you are a boarding applicant or day student applicant, and the time of year you are applying.
- Schools typically have the most openings for freshmen and sophomores (many schools do not accept incoming seniors), so applying for entrance into 9th or 10th grade may improve your chances of admission.
- Acceptance rates between boarding applicants and day student applicants may differ (i.e., schools in certain areas may a higher ratio of day student applicants to day student openings, versus boarding applicants to boarding openings; the acceptance rate of some schools will actually be lower for day applicants and higher for boarding applicants).
- Many, but not all, schools will accept applications after application deadlines, but admission generally becomes more difficult.
Saint James School Photo - Saint James' picturesque 689-acre campus is conveniently located only 70 miles from the Baltimore-Washington metropolitan area.
Westminster School Photo - Gund Reading Room in the Cole Library, a stunning place to study, meet and hold events.
Wasatch Academy Photo - Teamwork, dedication, and sacrifice are key components of our athletic programs. Participation in athletics promotes good health but also teaches invaluable life lessons. Through athletics, students learn to develop confidence, self-discipline and leadership skills while learning the value of collaboration. Athletics allow students the opportunity to work together in accomplishing defined goals.
The Thacher School Photo - "Education is not merely the making of scholars. It is the making of men and women. It is the training of the younger generation in the art of living for their own greatest good and the greatest good of their fellow citizens." -Sherman Day Thacher
Tilton School Photo - Beyond the academic requirement in art, all Tilton students have opportunities to gain significant experience in creative and cultural arts.
Annie Wright Schools Photo - Founded in 1884, Annie Wright Schools are nestled in the beautiful North End neighborhood of Tacoma, Washington, overlooking the Puget Sound. Our historic campus includes an indoor pool, two gyms, science and technology labs, art and music studios, theater, outdoor gardens, play areas, athletic fields and open spaces.
Concord Academy Photo - Elizabeth B. Hall Chapel is a frequent gathering place for the CA community, particularly for Senior Chapel Talks that begin three or four of our mornings every week.
New Hampton School Photo - Energetic, exceptional faculty who drive a customized learning experience.
St. John's Northwestern Military Academy Photo - Leadership training is one of the cornerstones of cadet life at SJNMA. The goal of the Academy is to prepare each of our cadets for success in life by instilling in them a solid work ethic, an understanding of the value of integrity and teamwork, and the ability to think critically, communicate well, and function in a diverse and ever-changing world.
Lowest Acceptance Rates (2018-19)
Among Schools with 200-400 Students (out of 83 schools)
Sorted by range (alphabetically within range)
- Boarding School Acceptance Rate Grades Location
- 21.-27. 45%-50%
Grades: 8-12 | 6-12 (day)
P.O. Box 98, 2555 W. Highway 154
Los Olivos, CA 93441
Grades: 9-12, PG | 6-12, PG (day)
230 Bushy Hill Road
Simsbury, CT 06070
17641 College Road
Hagerstown, MD 21740
Grades: 3-9 | K-9 (day)
94 Old Main Street, PO Box 8
Deerfield, MA 01342
- 47.-62. 60%-70%
500 Christ School Road
Asheville, NC 28704
Grades: 8-12 | Pre-K-12 (day)
8150 Oliver Rd.
Erie, PA 16510
Grades: 6-9 | Pre-K-9 (day)
211 Indian Mountain Road
Lakeville, CT 06039
Grades: 9-12, PG
1888 Brett Lane
Saltsburg, PA 15681
Grades: 6-12, PG | Pre-K-12, PG (day)
18 Goodfriend Drive
East Hampton, NY 11937
Grades: 8-12, PG | 7-12, PG (day)
700 Route 22
Pawling, NY 12564
62 Alumni Drive
Canaan, NH 03741
66 School Street
Granby, MA 01033
Grades: 7-12, PG
320 Iwo Jima Blvd
Harlingen, TX 78550
1000 Green St.
Atchison, KS 66002
22520 Mount Michael Road
Elkhorn, NE 68022
Grades: 5-9 | K-9 (day)
201 Romford Road
Washington Depot, CT 06794
1600 St. Bernard Drive, S.E.
Cullman, AL 35055
1101 Genesee Street
Delafield, WI 53018
Grades: 6-12 | 4-12 (day)
2801 Ranch Road 12
San Marcos, TX 78666
Grades: 9-12 | Pre-K-12 (day)
1 Community School Drive
Sun Valley, ID 83353
Top School Listings by Category (2018-19)
Your graduates can do everything on their smartphones with one click. An alumni relations app will allow them to click a gift to their alma mater. More here.
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.