Wilbraham & Monson Academy
- Founded in 1804, Wilbraham & Monson Academy is a day and boarding school of 425 students in grades 6-postgraduate.
- The Academy is dedicated to preparing students for successful competitive college admission and facing the challenge of global citizenship and leadership through the study of economics, entrepreneurship, diplomacy and global studies.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bentley University WMA, more than any other prep school that I have visited, is a community. Everyone knows one another. With over fifty percent of all faculty and staff living on campus, the students really get to. . .
- Trinity College One aspect that sets Wilbraham and Monson Academy a part from other similar private institutions is the CEGS Department. CEGS stands for Center for Entrepreneurial and Global Studies, and is in place of a traditional. . .
- Franklin & Marshall College Firstly, and most noticeably unique, is the diversity at WMA. There are over 30 different countries represented, and this played a major role in my learning experience. With so many different cultures present in the. . .
- Hartwick College I attending WMA and unlike any other private school I was able to receive a global education, create great relationships and visit places all over the world. . .
- Boston College One of the most important things to recognize about Wilbraham & Monson Academy is that it prepares all students with a truly global education. With progressive curriculums, teachers and facilities, WMA has provided me with. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Wilbraham & Monson||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12, PG||7-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||300 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||425 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1770||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$10 million||$20 million|
(Fees are not included.)
(Fees are not included.)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Kate Gaw|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Durelle Brown|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||22||17|
|Courses||Advance Placement Language & Composition , Advanced Placement Art: 2D Design , Advanced Placement Art: 3D Design, Advanced Placement Biology, Advanced Placement Calculus AB & BC, Advanced Placement Chemistry, Advanced Placement Environmental Science, Advanced Placement French, Advanced Placement Human Geography, Advanced Placement Latin , Advanced Placement Literature & Composition , Advanced Placement Macroeconomics, Advanced Placement Microeconomics, Advanced Placement Music Theory, Advanced Placement Physics C, Advanced Placement Research (AP Capstone year 2), Advanced Placement Seminar (AP Capstone year 1), Advanced Placement Spanish, Advanced Placement Statistics, Advanced Placement United States History , Advanced Placement World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||23||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Dance, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Lacrosse, Riflery, Rugby, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Water Polo, Winter Track, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||38||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Atlas Newspaper, Black Student Union, Chess Club, Community Service Team, Dorm Prefects, Fashion Club, Finance Club, French Club, Gardening Club, Global Leaders, Global Scholars, Gold Key Club, Harmonia, Math Team, Model Congress, Model UN, Robotics Club, Science Olympiad, Stone Society, Student Activities Club, Student Government, WMA Design Fellows, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Academy Singers, Chamber Ensemble, Dance, Mosaic Harmony, Rubicon Literary Magazine, Technical Theatre, Theater, Titan Jazz Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Fitness, Instructional Tennis, Life Sports, Outdoor Program, Snowboarding, Tai Chi, Yoga
|Year: 2011 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Worcester Polytechnic Institute||10|
|University of Rochester||5|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Wilbraham & Monson Academy is an independent, college-preparatory, coeducational middle and upper school for boarding and day students. Located in Wilbraham, Massachusetts, a suburban community in south-central Massachusetts, Wilbraham & Monson Academy, The Global School, offers a transformational experience where students become challenge-seeking citizens and leaders of an evolving world.Our academic program aims to create global thinkers by offering a curriculum that integrates the mastery of traditional core disciplines such as English, Math, Science, Foreign Language, and the Arts, while also incorporating courses specific to economics, entrepreneurship, and global studies. We also combine the innovative curriculum of our Center for Entrepreneurial and Global Studies with a strong college preparatory program, which includes 22 Advanced Placement courses and various honors tracks. Our CEGS program is designed to give students a comprehensive introduction to their role as global citizens and leaders in an increasingly interconnected world economy. Students are taught to think like entrepreneurs, to analyze current and historical issues and to investigate economic and social issues. Students are also able to utilize our Trading Center in an effort to understand and engage in active research and trading in order to gain an understanding of the global financial environment.
- Outside of the classroom students have the opportunity to engage in over 30 competitive, recreational or civic activities ranging from varsity level sports, community service, outdoor adventure, dance and theatre. Our mission and goal is to create ethical young men and women. Future leaders, who investigate opportunities for intellectual growth, integrate by seeking intercultural connections, interact with others respectfully and effectively and innovate by practicing critical reasoning and entrepreneurial thinking.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- School accreditations: NEASC, TABS, AISNE
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Mark Shenkman - Director of Shenkman Capital Management
- Nitya Pibulsonggram - Thai Foreign Minister, Former Thai Ambassador to the United Nations
- Bill James - Rockport Capital Partners
- Bill Guerin - NHL hockey player
- Bob Lappin - Conductor, Palm Beach Orchestra
- Olaf Halvorrsen - Received Royal Norwegian Order of Merit
- Galway Kinnel - Author/Poet
- Submit Review for Wilbraham & Monson Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
September 17, 2018
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 28, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.