San Marcos Academy
San Marcos Academy Photo #2 - Graduation is a special and meaningful time with unique ceremonies and events; 95% (or more) of SMA graduates matriculate at a college or university.
San Marcos Academy Photo #3 - The Upper School (grades 9-12) offers regular, honors, and dual-credit courses to prepare students for success in college and in life.
San Marcos Academy Photo #4 - Athletic opportunities abound at San Marcos Academy, with teams for girls and boys of all ages and skill levels.
San Marcos Academy Photo #5 - In the Academy Middle School, students in grades 6-8 are provided a rigorous curriculum, including fine arts, foreign language, physical education/athletics, Bible instruction, and technology.
San Marcos Academy Photo #6 - Our 220-acre hill country campus is located between Austin and San Antonio. Our gated entrance is one of many features designed to keep our students safe while under our care.
San Marcos Academy Photo #7 - The Academy's Christian ministries program includes chapel services, Bible instruction, and discipleship opportunities with the goal of producing leaders whose lives are built on integrity and who exemplify Christ's devotion to service and compassion for others.
San Marcos Academy Photo #8 - Girls and boys residence hall staffs provide nurturing supervision with the structure and discipline necessary for student success.
San Marcos Academy Photo #9 - A full range of fine arts opportunities includes music, drama and visual arts instruction.
- San Marcos Academy is a coeducational, Christian boarding for 6th through 12th-grade students, located in the beautiful Texas hill country. We also accept day students in grades K-12.
- In addition to our traditional 7-day boarding program, we also offer a 5-day program for families who live within a 70-mile radius of our campus.
- The Academy offers a college preparatory curriculum, featuring leadership training; a strong fine arts department; a Learning Skills program for students with mild to moderate learning differences; and an English as a Second Language immersion program for international students.
- Our mission at San Marcos Academy is to educate young men and women in a nurturing community based upon Christian values.
- The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Accreditation Committee of the Texas Association of Baptist Schools and is recognized by the Texas Education Agency.
- Small classes (with an average of 9 students) and a student-teacher ratio of 8:1 provide a strong learning environment and individualized instruction to meet the needs of each student.
- Structure, discipline and nurturing supervision, including required study halls, are provided in the dormitories.
- Ninety-five percent or more of our graduates move immediately into post-secondary education at schools throughout the country.
- Founded in 1907, the Academy is rich in tradition and is a vital part of the local community.
- The school offers a rolling enrollment. SEVP Certified for international students studying on an F-1 visa San Marcos Academy is affiliated with Texas Baptists.
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|San Marcos Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||6-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||K-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||220 acres||110 acres|
|Enrollment||333 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1137||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||23||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(khaki pants, plaid skirt, polo shirts)
|Average Class Size||9 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$20 million|
(*pay in full amount)
|Tuition international students||$46,500||$51,800|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$2,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Corey Boyer|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mattie Howard|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||14||18|
|Courses||AP Calculus AB, AP Computer Science Principles, AP Physics, College English 1301, College English 1302, College Math 1310 (Algebra), College Math 1311 (Trigonometry), Environmental Science AP, Macro Economics AP, Math 2302 (Statistics), POLS 1302 (Government), PSYC 1301 (Psychology), U.S. History 1301, U.S. History 1302|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Markmanship, Orienteering, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||12||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Equestrian Club, JROTC, Leo Club, Music Ministries, National Honor Society, National Junior Honor Society, Student Ambassadors, Student Council, Yearbook Staff
Arts and Music Programs:
International Thespians, Vocal and Instrumental Individual Instruction
Recreational Athletic Programs:
|Year: 2018 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Texas @ Austin||5|
|University of Illinois||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Quality Academics With Low Teacher-Student Ratio
- Honors Curriculum
- Dual Credit College Courses
- Accommodated Learning Program (ALP) For Students With Mild To Moderate Learning Differences
- ESL Immersion for Internationals
- Structured Environment
- LD types supported: Mild to Moderate Learning Differences such as Dyslexia or ADHD
- San Marcos Academy accreditations: Approved or accredited by Accreditation Commission of the Texas Association of Baptist Schools, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Texas Education Agency, The Association of Boarding Schools, Texas Department of Education
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for San Marcos Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.