San Marcos Academy
San Marcos Academy Photo #2 - College preparatory curriculum is enhanced by small class sizes and dedicated instructors who provide individual attention. Students with learning differences may take advantage of the Learning Skills Program.
San Marcos Academy Photo #3 - Girls and boys residence hall staffs provide nurturing supervision with the structure and discipline necessary for student success.
San Marcos Academy Photo #5 - A full range of fine arts opportunities includes music, drama and visual arts instruction.
San Marcos Academy Photo #6 - Beautiful 220-acre hill country campus is ideal for equestrian and other outdoor activities.
San Marcos Academy Photo #7 - Graduation is a special and meaningful time with unique ceremonies and events; 95% (or more) of SMA graduates matriculate at a college or university.
San Marcos Academy Photo #8 - Athletic opportunities abound at San Marcos Academy, with teams for girls and boys of all ages and skill levels.
San Marcos Academy Photo #9 - A century-old tradition at San Marcos Academy, the Junior ROTC unit is designated as an honor unit with distinction by the US Army Cadet Command.
- San Marcos Academy is a coeducational, Christian boarding for 6th through 12th grade students, located in the beautiful Texas hill country. We also accept day students in grades 4-12.
- In addition to our tradition 7-day boarding program, we also offer a 5-day program for families who live within a 70-mile radius of our campus.
- The Academy offers a college preparatory curriculum, featuring leadership training; a strong fine arts department; a Learning Skills program for student with mild to moderate learning differences; and an English as a Second Language program for international students.
- Our mission at San Marcos Academy is to educate young men and women in a nurturing community based upon Christian values.
- The school is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Accreditation Committee of the Texas Association of Baptist Schools and is recognized by the Texas Education Agency.
- Small classes (with an average of 12 students) and a student-teacher ratio of 8:1 provide a strong learning environment and individualized instruction to meet the needs of each student.
- Structure, discipline and nurturing supervision, including required study halls, are provided in the girls and boys dormitories.
- Ninety-five percent or more of our graduates move immediately into post-secondary education at schools throughout the country.
- Founded in 1907, the Academy is rich in tradition and is a vital part of the local community.
- The school offers a rolling enrollment. San Marcos Academy is affiliated with Texas Baptists.
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|San Marcos Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||6-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||4-12||Pre-K-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||220 acres||100 acres|
|Enrollment||260 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||21||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(khaki pants, plaid skirt, polo shirts)
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:8||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$6 million||$20 million|
(*Pay in full amount )
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$5,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Shelley Henry|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mattie Howard|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||12||17|
|Courses||College English 1301, College English 1302, College History 1301, College History 1302, College Math 1310 (Algebra), College Math 1311 (Trigonometry), College Math 1420 (Calculus I), College Math 1421 (Calculus II), Environmental Science AP, Human Geography AP, Macro Economics AP, Micro Economics AP|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Orienteering, Riflery, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||16||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Fashion Arts Club, Green Fashion Show, International Student Club, JROTC, Junior State of America, Music Ministries, National Honor Society, Student Ambassadors, Winter Emergency Care, WMER (Radio Station), Yearbook Staff
Arts and Music Programs:
International Thespians, Math Peer Tutor, Vocal and Instrumental Individual Instruction
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Intramural Sports, Post and Rail (horseback riding)
|Year: 2013 - 2014||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Texas State University||9|
|University of Texas @ Austin||5|
|University of Illinois||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Quality Academics With Low Teacher-Student Ratio
- Honors Curriculum
- Dual Credit College Courses
- Learning Skills Program For Students With Mild To Moderate Learning Differences
- English As A Second Language Program
- Structured Environment
- Leadership, Education And Development (LEAD) Program
- LD types supported: Mild to Moderate Learning Differences such as Dyslexia or ADHD
- San Marcos Academy accreditations: Approved or accredited by Accreditation Commission of the Texas Association of Baptist Schools, Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Texas Education Agency, The Association of Boarding Schools, Texas Department of Education
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for San Marcos Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 8-12, PG| 680 students 221.2 miles1051 N Houston
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
Bullard, TX 75757
Pre-K-12, PG (day)
- Grades: K-12| 192 students 172.7 miles3846 N. Hwy. 144
Granbury, TX 76048
The typical three-month-long summer break gives juniors and seniors a great opportunity to explore a variety of situations and options.
Choosing a boarding school involves sifting through and reviewing lots of information. Never lose sight of the fact that you know best. Trust your instincts.
Learning about a school from its website and social media pages is useful as you decide which school to choose. So is hearing what the school's alumni say about their alma mater.