St. John's Northwestern Academies
- St. John`s Northwestern has been shaping the minds and developing the character of students since 1884.
- Academy alumni have attended notable colleges and universities. As a college preparatory and leadership development, boarding and day school for young men and women in grades 7 through 12, St. John's Northwestern provides a distinctive educational experience for its students that focuses on academic success, athletics, leadership development, and character development.
- Surrounded by English gothic-style architecture, broad lawns, and towering trees, students living within the 110-acre campus are immersed in a safe and secure environment in which they build self-esteem, self-discipline, academic focus and intellectual curiosity that allows them to "work hard, play hard, pray hard."
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- The University of Alabama The location of SJNMA I believe is unique to most boarding schools as it is located very close to downtown Delafield but while on campus you feel separated completely from the surrounding area. This allows. . .
- Marquette University The military traditions sets the school apart from other more traditional boarding school experiences. Very structured but always surrounded by other cadets in your company that doesn't make it feel like "all work and no. . .
- College of DuPage I liked that we had structure. It taught me how to be on time and responsible. I also really liked that it was all guys. It made it easier to learn. Our teachers bent over. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|St. John's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College-Prep Military||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||110 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||174 students||310 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1530||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
|Average Class Size||10 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:12||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$8.5 million||$22 million|
|Tuition international students||$44,000||$52,900|
(5 Day Boarding)
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$10,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Director of Admissions||Paul Borens|
|Associate Director of Admissions|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||5||18|
|Courses||Calculus, Chemistry, Literature and Composition, Physics, Statistics, U.S. History, Biology|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||15||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cheering, Cross Country, Drill Team, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Marksmanship, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Wrestling|
- St. John`s Northwestern Academies has been shaping the minds and developing the character of young people since 1884. Academy alumni have attended notable colleges and universities. As a coed college preparatory, leadership development boarding and day school for grades 7 through 12, St. John's Northwestern provides a distinctive educational experience for its students that focuses on academic success, athletics, leadership development, and character development. Surrounded by English gothic-style architecture, broad lawns and towering trees, students living within the 110-acre campus are immersed in a safe and secure environment in which they build self-esteem, self-discipline, academic focus, and intellectual curiosity that allows them to "work hard, play hard, pray hard."
- St. John's Northwestern Academies accreditations: ISACS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Daniel Gerber 1916 - Founder and president of Gerber Baby Foods
- Howard Woodin 1918 - Member of Marquette University Hall of Fame and Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame for football
- Spencer Tracy 1919 - Distinguished actor; Academy Award winner; appeared in over 70 films
- Arthur Wermuth 1932 - Major, U.S. Army; World War II hero
- Edward Noble 1946 - Entrepreneur; developer; and manufacturer; served as a member of President Ronald Regan's staff
- C. Roosevelt Boettiger 1948 - Grandson of President Franklin D. Roosevelt; U.S. delegate to the United Nations
- William J. Janklow 1954 - Governor of South Dakota for four terms, longer than anyone in state history
- Ty Warner 1962 - Founder and C.E.O. of Beanie Babies, Inc., a leader in the toy industry
- Jay Graf 1966 - Founder and C.E.O. of Guidant Corp., a leader in the heart monitoring field
- Martin Torrijos Espino 1981 - Former President of Panama from 2004 to 2009
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. John's Northwestern Academies
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Several things make boarding school special. The learning, the community, the sports. All these and more.
A private school in its infancy is quite different from the mature community it becomes over time. I wonder what the founders of these five schools would think about them today. I bet they would be very proud of their creations.
Sending our children off to boarding school in the fall of 2020 raises questions about their safety and other corona virus issues. We address some of your concerns here.