Most Selective Boarding Schools
- Among "All-Girls Schools", view the boarding schools with the lowest acceptance rates (2019-20).
- Acceptance rates listed below reflect the average rate of acceptance for all applicants (boarding and day applicants) in the previous year.
- Keep in mind that acceptance rates may be lower or higher than the average acceptance rate depending on: what grade you are applying for, whether you are a boarding applicant or day student applicant, and the time of year you are applying.
- Schools typically have the most openings for freshmen and sophomores (many schools do not accept incoming seniors), so applying for entrance into 9th or 10th grade may improve your chances of admission.
- Acceptance rates between boarding applicants and day student applicants may differ (i.e., schools in certain areas may a higher ratio of day student applicants to day student openings, versus boarding applicants to boarding openings; the acceptance rate of some schools will actually be lower for day applicants and higher for boarding applicants).
- Many, but not all, schools will accept applications after application deadlines, but admission generally becomes more difficult.
Dana Hall School Photo - Experimentation. Exploration. Creativity. Dana Hall`s visual artists are sensitive observers of themselves and the world around them.
Stoneleigh-Burnham School Photo - Stoneleigh-Burnham offers one of the premier equestrian centers among secondary schools in the U.S. Our equestrian center is located on campus and that means girls can walk from their classes and dorm rooms directly to the barn. Every rider, from the complete novice to the advanced jumper, receives personalized instruction from experienced coaches that reflects her interests, goals, and abilities.
The Madeira School Photo - Madeira's 376-acre campus in McLean, Virginia, overlooks the Potomac River from a perch just 12 miles northwest of Washington, D.C.
Oldfields School Photo - Our renowned equestrian program takes learning out of the classroom and into the barn.
St. Timothy's School Photo - The Commons is equal parts living room and dining room. The newest building on campus, the Commons is a gathering space that houses the dining hall and the new Redlands Cafe.
Miss Hall's School Photo - The Athletic Department at Miss Hall's instills in student-athletes the values of fitness, teamwork, and competition while inspiring each girl to master physical skills, envision her potential, strive to attain goals, build confidence, and experience the power of community pride.
Saint Mary's School Photo - Saint Mary's School, established in 1842, is an independent, Episcopal, college-preparatory boarding and day school for girls in grades 9-12 in Raleigh, North Carolina. It is the fourth oldest girls' boarding/day school in the United States.
Chatham Hall Photo - Whether you ve been riding your whole life or have always wanted to you can find a place in our program. The Chatham Hall campus is home to more than 30 horses, three teaching arenas, a permanent Hunter Trials course, and plenty of trails. We teach hunt seat the Modern Forward Riding System with an emphasis on horse and rider
St. Margaret's School Photo - BELIEVE IN SOMETHING GREATER. * What kind of person will you be? Honest? Trustworthy? Responsible? * Our honor code inspires a culture of honesty and promotes trust in one another. * We have confidence that you will do the right thing, even when no one is watching. * We believe in you.
Lowest Acceptance Rates (2019-20)
Among All-Girls Schools (out of 16 schools)
Sorted by range (alphabetically within range)
- Boarding School Acceptance Rate Grades Location
- 4.-7.Rank: #4-745%-50%
Grades: 9-12, PG | 6-12, PG (day)
230 Bushy Hill Road
Simsbury, CT 06070
- 13.-16.Rank: #13-16 >70%
54 W. Main Street Box 691
Baltic, CT 06330
- 13.-16.Rank: #13-16>70%
900 Hillsborough Street
Raleigh, NC 27603
Top School Listings by Category (2019-20)
Whether a school uses the Harkness Table™ or doesn't use the Harkness Table™ is a matter of teaching style worth exploring in some detail.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.
Applying to boarding school is a long process with many parts to it. This checklist will help you organize the process and manage your time efficiently.