- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 160 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $55,690
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $19,620
- Acceptance rate: 80%
- Average class size: 10 students
- Application Deadline: None / Rolling
- Source: Verified school update
Academics and Faculty
No jeans. No sweats.
(Remarkable Opportunities - Campaign begun 2014 )
(Includes meals and most athletic fees. Additional $525 technology fee. )
(Includes lunch and most athletic fees. Additional $750 technology fee)
(5 Day Boarding)
(Also offer merit scholarships: avg. grant $2000)
AP / Advanced Courses
Black Student Union, Chinese Language & Culture Club, Community Service Club, Computer Science Club, Cum Laude, DonateLife, Dorm Prefects, Environmental, Food Club, French Club, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Jewish Culture Club, Knitting and Sewing Club, Mock Trial Club, Model United Nations, National Honor Society, One Love, Photography Club, Red Key Student Ambassadors, SchoolGovernment, Science, Seminaria, Spanish Club, Young Politicians
Arts and Music Programs:
A Capella, Book Club, Dance Club, Drama Club, Ensemble, Glee Club, Music Collective
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Ski, Volleyball Club
- Our all-girl environment and small size foster self-confidence and unselfconscious inquiry in our students.
- The student residences are historic homes joined by a beautiful courtyard to the school building where students live family-style with faculty house directors.
- Leaders for life: SEM students enjoy not just equal opportunity, but every opportunity. All our class officers, club presidents, team captains, and student mentors are girls.
- College prep that goes beyond standardized testing: Our rigorous academic program, bolstered by an independent curriculum, prepares students to think for themselves, both in and out of the classroom.
- An average class size of 11 students: Our small classes and Harkness table learning guarantees individual attention; no student can go unnoticed.
- Our advisory program also empowers our girls by building positive student-teacher relationships while encouraging open communication with parents.
- Teachers who are as passionate as they are experienced: Our faculty is made up of educators many of whom have PhDs. who are committed to student-centered teaching. Experts in their field, they use Harkness tables to foster engaged, student-centered learning.
- Beloved traditions combined with 21st-century learning: Founded in 1851, SEM has a rich history that still resonates today. We combine a respect for the past with a commitment to the future.
- Technology that puts girls in control: Our one-to-one laptop program, STEAM curriculum, digital printing and NAO robots give each student hands-on, project-based learning.
- Clubs and activities: Whether it`s through music, art, drama, sports, or social and intellectual pursuit girls find an extracurricular outlet at SEM. Clubs and activities are determined by student interest, and every girl participates in community service throughout her four years.
- A culture of freedom, a code of honor: SEM students enjoy independence while embracing a high level of responsibility. Our school honor code fosters trust and respect by preparing girls for the rewards and responsibilities of the 21st century.
- A beautiful building on the National Register of Historic Places in a historic leafy neighborhood with access to all the upsides of city living. Galleries, cafes, shops, parks, and universities are footsteps away.
- Buffalo Seminary accreditations: National Association of Independent Schools (NAIS), New York State Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS), The Association of Boarding Schools (TABS), Small Boarding School Association (SBSA), The National Coalition of Girls' Schools (NCGS), Online School for Girls (OSG)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Isabella Bannerman - Syndicated cartoonist
- Lauren Belfer - NYT bestselling author of City of Light, A Fierce Radiance, And After the Fire
- Mara Hoffman - Fashion designer
- Amy Holden Jones - Screenwriter, film producer and director
- Tara Vanderveer - Record-breaking Stanford Women's & US Olympic Women's Basketball Coach
- Susan Hunt - Host on HGTV and former ESPN correspondent
- Mary Hochreiter Janney - Former mayor of Burlingame, California
- Amy C. Williams, Ph.D. - Composer, pianist and music professor
- Amy Beth Taublieb, Ph.D. - Clinical psychologist and author
- Tara VanDerveer - 1996 U.S. Olympic Women's Basketball coach, Head Coach of Stanford Cardinal, 2011 Basketball Hall of Fame Inductee
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does Buffalo Seminary cost?
Buffalo Seminary's tuition is approximately $55,690 for boarding students and $19,620 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of Buffalo Seminary?
The acceptance rate of Buffalo Seminary is 80%, which is higher than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from Buffalo Seminary?
Buffalo Seminary famous alumni include: Isabella Bannerman, Lauren Belfer, Mara Hoffman, Amy Holden Jones, Tara Vanderveer, Susan Hunt, Mary Hochreiter Janney, Amy C. Williams, Ph.D., Amy Beth Taublieb, Ph.D. and Tara VanDerveer.
What sports does Buffalo Seminary offer?
Buffalo Seminary offers 13 interscholastic sports: Basketball, Bowling, Crew, Cross Country Running, Fencing, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Squash, Swimming and Tennis.
What is Buffalo Seminary's ranking?
When is the application deadline for Buffalo Seminary?
The application deadline for Buffalo Seminary is rolling (applications are reviewed as they are received year-round).