The Putney School
Quick Stats (2023)
- Grades: (Boarding) 9-12, PG
- Enrollment: 225 students
- Yearly Tuition (Boarding Students): $69,400
- Yearly Tuition (Day Students): $41,200
- Acceptance rate: 63%
- Average class size: 12 students
- Application Deadline: Jan. 15 / rolling
- Source: Verified school update
The Putney School ranks among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 106 schools) for:
Academics and Faculty
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, International Theater Company, Pocket Players
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Horseback Riding, Kundalini Yoga
- The Putney School is designed for independent, motivated, and capable students seeking intellectual freedom, responsibility and opportunities for competence in a variety of fields. The school's 500-acre campus is situated on a working Vermont dairy farm that supports a rich curriculum in sustainability. As a progressive school, we think of our curriculum as everything we do. This includes course work, student-driven projects, our Work Program, Afternoons, Evening Arts, independent studies, and off-campus learning opportunities.
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ted Osius - U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam
- Wally Shawn - Writer, actor, director
- Jonathan Schell - Author, The Fate of the Earth
- Errol Morris - Documentary filmmaker
- Kerry Kennedy Cuomo - Director Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center for Hum. Rights
- Tea Leoni - Actress
- Tim Weiner - Pulitzer Prize winning journalist
- Tim Daly - Film, television, and theater actor
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does The Putney School cost?
The Putney School's tuition is approximately $69,400 for boarding students and $41,200 for day students.
What is the acceptance rate of The Putney School?
The acceptance rate of The Putney School is 63%, which is higher than the boarding school average of 58%.
Who are famous alumni from The Putney School?
The Putney School famous alumni include: Ted Osius, Wally Shawn, Jonathan Schell, Errol Morris, Kerry Kennedy Cuomo, Tea Leoni, Tim Weiner and Tim Daly.
What sports does The Putney School offer?
The Putney School offers 17 interscholastic sports: Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer and Ultimate Frisbee.
Does The Putney School offer a summer program?
Yes, The Putney School offers a summer program. Visit their summer school page for more information.
What is The Putney School's ranking?
The Putney School ranks among the top 20 boarding schools for Low student:teacher ratio.
When is the application deadline for The Putney School?
The application deadline for The Putney School is Jan. 15 / rolling (applications are due on Jan. 15 but additional applications are reviewed year-round as space permits ).
Alumni Reviews Review School
Class of 2016
Class of 2016
Class of 2016