The Putney School
The Putney School Photo #2 - We are not a "prep" school. While many of our students head off to the top colleges in the country, their experiences at Putney are about engaging material, expanding interests, and gaining tools, not "preparing" to be somewhere else.
The Putney School Photo #3 - Art is a part of every student's daily life. We take the arts seriously while supporting a spirit of discovery. We offer 20 art forms, including blacksmithing, ceramics, chorus, creative writing, dance, drama, fiber arts, jazz, jewelry, orchestra, Latin dance, photography, sculpture, stained glass & woodworking.
The Putney School Photo #4 - Sustainability is at the center of a Putney education. It is embedded in our campus, our community, and our curriculum. We are located on a 500-acre working dairy farm in southeastern Vermont, this serves as a laboratory and partner for studying the world around us and applying the lessons we learn about ecology, forestry, energy and agriculture.
The Putney School Photo #7 - The community at Putney is warm, open, mutually respectful and rousing. We come together as a whole school three times per week. Every Thursday is All School Sing (pictured here), a tradition dating back to Putney's founding in the 30's, which spans a fun and eclectic assortment of styles from early American folk music to sea chanteys to Korean traditional
The Putney School Photo #8 - Putney is a co-educational boarding and day school for Grades 9-12 founded in 1935 by Carmelita Hinton. We are a progressive school, in that we value the idea that education is something to be actively pursued rather than passively received. Our commitment to Ms. Hinton's fundamental beliefs have have put Putney at the leading edge of education in America.
- We are a progressive school, in that we value the idea that education is something to be actively pursued rather than passively received.
- When students learn by doing rather than being told, they develop confidence, deeper understanding, and resolve.
- Our continued commitment to Ms. Hinton's fundamental beliefs, and our deliberate choices for our community and curriculum have put Putney at the leading edge of education in America.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bard College My school had a phenomenal work program, where students were expected to complete jobs around the school 6 days a week. These jobs included working on the farm, preparing meals, cleaning up after meals, cleaning. . .
- Gap Year Putney is a coeducational boarding and day school in Vermont. It values and practices progressive education, and has a diverse and rigorous curriculum. It boasts a strong academic program, along with a work job program. . .
- University of Maine Hands on discussion based learning as well as a focus on the individual. Relationships between students and teachers were much my friendly. Also real working experience (cooking food, working in the barn). . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|The Putney School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||500 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||238 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1240||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||10||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$24.9 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$23,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||John Barrengos, Ed. D.|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||10||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Basketball, Crew, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, International Theater Company, Pocket Players
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Horseback Riding, Kundalini Yoga
|Year: 2007 - 2011||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Vermont||6|
|Sarah Lawrence College||5|
|Carnegie Mellon University||4|
|Mount Holyoke College||4|
|Rhode Island School of Design||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Putney School is designed for independent, motivated, and capable students seeking intellectual freedom, responsibility and opportunities for competence in a variety of fields. The school's 500-acre campus is situated on a working Vermont dairy farm that supports a rich curriculum in sustainability. As a progressive school, we think of our curriculum as everything we do. This includes course work, student-driven projects, our Work Program, Afternoons, Evening Arts, independent studies, and off-campus learning opportunities.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ted Osius - U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam
- Wally Shawn - Writer, actor, director
- Jonathan Schell - Author, The Fate of the Earth
- Errol Morris - Documentary filmmaker
- Kerry Kennedy Cuomo - Director Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center for Hum. Rights
- Tea Leoni - Actress
- Tim Weiner - Pulitzer Prize winning journalist
- Tim Daly - Film, television, and theater actor
- Submit Review for The Putney School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Boarding Schools in a Minute gives an overview of independent residential schools in North America.
Is boarding school right for you? Boarding schools offer a wealth of experiences in both learning and living which will do you well in later life.
We explore the reasons why you should send your child to boarding school