The Putney School
The Putney School Photo #2 - The Putney School is located on a working dairy farm. We value the dignity and relevance of physical work, which shows through our Work Program. Students carry out daily chores, collaborate in teams, learn skills, and sometimes lead crews various areas: Barn, Kitchen, Land-Use, Dining & Maintenance.
The Putney School Photo #3 - We are not a "prep" school. While many of our students head off to the top colleges in the country, their experiences at Putney are about engaging material, expanding interests, and gaining tools, not "preparing" to be somewhere else.
The Putney School Photo #4 - Art is a part of every student's daily life. We take the arts seriously while supporting a spirit of discovery. We offer 20 art forms, including blacksmithing, ceramics, chorus, creative writing, dance, drama, fiber arts, jazz, jewelry, orchestra, Latin dance, photography, sculpture, stained glass & woodworking.
The Putney School Photo #5 - The community at Putney is warm, open, mutually respectful and rousing. We come together as a whole school three times per week. Every Thursday is All School Sing (pictured here), a tradition dating back to Putney's founding in the 30's, which spans a fun and eclectic assortment of styles from early American folk music to sea chanteys to Korean traditional
The Putney School Photo #6 - Putney is a co-educational boarding and day school for Grades 9-12 founded in 1935 by Carmelita Hinton. We are a progressive school, in that we value the idea that education is something to be actively pursued rather than passively received. Our commitment to Ms. Hinton's fundamental beliefs have have put Putney at the leading edge of education in America.
We are a progressive school, in that we value the idea that education is something to be actively pursued rather than passively received.
When students learn by doing rather than being told, they develop confidence, deeper understanding, and resolve.
Our continued commitment to Ms. Hinton's fundamental beliefs, and our deliberate choices for our community and curriculum have put Putney at the leading edge of education in America.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Bard College My school had a phenomenal work program, where students were expected to complete jobs around the school 6 days a week. These jobs included working on the farm, preparing meals, cleaning up after meals, cleaning. . .
- Earlham College Putney is a vibrant community where teachers and students are actual friends. It’s conducive to personal growth and a place where I and other students found our passions. Everyone is excited and working on something. . .
- Gap Year Putney is a coeducational boarding and day school in Vermont. It values and practices progressive education, and has a diverse and rigorous curriculum. It boasts a strong academic program, along with a work job program. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2021 School Data
|The Putney School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||500 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||225 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1240||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||12 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||5:1||7:1|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$8,400|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$24.9 million||$25 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$23,000||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||John Barrengos, Ed. D.|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Ballet, Basketball, Crew, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Cycling, Dance, Equestrian, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Nordic Skiing, Rock Climbing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Ultimate Frisbee|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||8||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Arts and Music Programs:
Chamber, International Theater Company, Pocket Players
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Alpine Skiing & Snowboarding, Horseback Riding, Kundalini Yoga
|Year: 2007 - 2011||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|University of Vermont||6|
|Sarah Lawrence College||5|
|Carnegie Mellon University||4|
|Mount Holyoke College||4|
|Rhode Island School of Design||4|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The Putney School is designed for independent, motivated, and capable students seeking intellectual freedom, responsibility and opportunities for competence in a variety of fields. The school's 500-acre campus is situated on a working Vermont dairy farm that supports a rich curriculum in sustainability. As a progressive school, we think of our curriculum as everything we do. This includes course work, student-driven projects, our Work Program, Afternoons, Evening Arts, independent studies, and off-campus learning opportunities.
- LD types supported: Mild Learning Differences
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Ted Osius - U.S. Ambassador to Vietnam
- Wally Shawn - Writer, actor, director
- Jonathan Schell - Author, The Fate of the Earth
- Errol Morris - Documentary filmmaker
- Kerry Kennedy Cuomo - Director Robert F. Kennedy Memorial Center for Hum. Rights
- Tea Leoni - Actress
- Tim Weiner - Pulitzer Prize winning journalist
- Tim Daly - Film, television, and theater actor
Profile last updated: 06/24/2021
- Submit Review for The Putney School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
American boarding schools have always welcomed international students. Rigorous academic programs, extensive athletic programs, and a wide range of extracurricular activities attract students from all over the world.
Admissions to boarding school is a process with many components. The process can be confusing to parents dealing with boarding school admissions for the first time. We guide you through the process.
August 21, 2021
A military high school might be an option for your son or daughter. We take a look at what these schools offer.