St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #2 - Sewanee is a small town that's big on education. Thanks to a special relationship with the University of the South, students at St. Andrew's-Sewanee enjoy the opportunity to take college courses for free, attend dozens of concerts and lectures each year, and have access to a research library. Sewanee's downtown offers coffee houses, restaurants, and gift shops.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #3 - At St. Andrew's-Sewanee leadership means starting your own activities and organizations, not just filling someone else's shoes. In addition to serving as proctors and admissions ambassadors, students operate their own radio station, organize service opportunities, design clothing, and grow food for the dining hall. What would you like to do?
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #4 - SAS students excel at the creative arts and are regularly accepted to top-flight art schools across the country. The SAS Gallery welcomes professional artists throughout the year for exhibitions and student workshops and McCrory Hall hosts professional actors and musicians. In the summers, SAS is home to Shakerag Workshops, a nationally-recognized art program for adults.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #5 - We know boarding school can never be quite the same as home but small residential houses help to make life a bit more cozy. Just 12-15 students share each house with a faculty family. Your houseparent is there to lend a hand with homework or help you to navigate a difficult social situation.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #6 - Small classes led by talented and dedicated teachers make learning exciting and personal at St. Andrew's-Sewanee. More than half your teachers have advanced degrees and close to half live on campus. Students looking for an additional challenge can take classes for free and for college credit at the nearby University of the South.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #7 - Founded in 1868, St. Andrew's-Sewanee and its students enjoy many long held traditions like the Morning Watch, ringing the Chapel Bells after a victory, Creative Expression Assemblies, Winterim, and the International Flag Ceremony. Recent additions include the House Cup Competition, the pancake race, and the Blessing of the Animals.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #8 - One of the South's Most Beautiful High Schools, as chosen by Southern Living magazine, the school's 550-acre campus, including forests, bluffs and two lakes, offers abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. A school farm, on-going wetlands study, and LEED Gold science building are just a few of the ways our campus also serves as learning lab.
- Challenge. Balance. Joy. St. Andrew`s-Sewanee School is a private, co-educational, Episcopal, boarding and day college preparatory school serving 250 students in grades 6-12. We CHALLENGE our students to fulfill their greatest potential while helping them to cultivate lives of BALANCE and JOY. CORE VALUESGood teaching inspires curiosity.
- Students deserve to have their individual needs met for both challenge and support.
- Depth has more value than breadth. Time outdoors is time well spent.
- Authentic narrative assessments are more useful than grades and standardized test scores.
- God calls us to be actively compassionate and to value what makes one another unique.
- The future will belong to creative, lifelong learners. POINTS OF PRIDENew members of our community quickly feel welcome and valued.
- Our intellectually, socially, and economically diverse student body blends well.
- We enjoy the educational, recreational, and creative opportunities provided by our beautiful campus.
- Our relationship with the University of the South provides extraordinary opportunities for our students.
- We foster a healthy balance between work and play. Our students are encouraged to formulate their own values and beliefs.
- Students find enduring mentors among our faculty and staff. Our graduates thrive in advanced college coursework, self-advocacy, and written communication.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Tulane University While at Sewanee, I spent the majority of my free time hiking with my friends, planning new community service opportunities with my peers, and getting to know myself. This school is like no other in. . .
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill I was a four-year boarding student at SAS and I can't easily express how grateful I am for what I learned and how much I grew during my time there. I will certainly say that. . .
- Davidson College 1)Each student has individual attention with their teachers and guidance counselors and 2)The weekends always full of activities1)The St. Andrew's-Sewanee School community was like a big family. I came from a high school in. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|St. Andrew's-Sewanee||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||Pre-K-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||550 acres||104 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||315 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$19.5 million||$18 million|
(Middle School Day $19,100)
|Tuition international students||$51,900||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$17,499||$23,450|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Derek Perkins|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Anna Palmer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||17|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Physics, Calculus, Enrollment at University of the South|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Football, Golf, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||37||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Activist Alliance, Art Club, Athletic Trainer, Christian Athletes, Climbing, Cum Laude, ECO-SAS, Farming, Girl Up, Global & Local Outreach, Great Discussions, History Club, Literary Magazine, Magic Club, Math Club, Mind-Body-Exercise, Music Lessons, Outdoor Adventure, Outreach, Proctors, Random Acts of Kindness Club, Religious Round Table, Robotics Club, Round Table, Student Vestry, The Baylor Notes (Student Newspaper), Theatre, Videography, Write Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Honor Council, K-Pop Dance Club, Landscape Painting, Radio Station, Scouting
Recreational Athletic Programs:
International Club, Strength and Conditioning
|Year: 2013 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|The University of the South||27|
|Tennessee Technological University||7|
|University of Tennessee, Knoxville||7|
|The University of Alabama in Huntsville||6|
|Agnes Scott College||4|
|University of Tennessee, Chattanooga||4|
|University of Washington||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Parents praise SAS for the enthusiasm of the faculty, staff, and administration and the complete dedication to challenging their students to seek academic and personal success. Students love SAS because of the respect they receive from all members of the campus community, the lack of cliques, and the opportunities to "get off the bench" and participate in a wide variety of academic, athletic, and artistic opportunities.
- Better than AP - Eligible students take courses for college credit at the University of the South, one of the top-ranked liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Grounded in the traditions of the Episcopal Church, St. Andrew's-Sewanee welcomes students of all traditions and celebrates diversity of faith and thought while encouraging students to search for a deeper understanding of life, purpose and service.
- The School's Outdoor Adventure Program, Farm, Winterim, and Visiting Artists' Program are just a few of the innovative programs that provide added value, excitement, and experience outside of the traditional classroom.
- LD types supported: Learning Resources Center provides support.
- St. Andrew's-Sewanee School accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Agee - Pulitzer-prize winning writer
- Kix Brooks '73 - Grammy-award winning singer, host of American Country Countdown
- Elisabeth Rohm '91 - Television and movie actress
- Robert Temple '61 - Author and documentary film maker
- Dr. George P. Garrett, Jr. '46 - Poet Laureate of Virginia
- Stephen Alvarez '83 - National Geographic Photographer
- Sean Bridgers '86 - Television and movie actor
- Eban Goodstein '78 - Economist, author, and environmental educator
- Mike deGruy '69 - Documentary Film Maker
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The wide range of fine academic, athletic, and other facilities found in boarding schools underscores the determination of schools to provide the very best for their students.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.