St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
At St. Andrew's-Sewanee your classmates are your partners and friends, not your competitors. Teachers believe in motivating each student to achieve their personal best. Classmates from across the country and around the world support you as you seek to be the best you can be, whether it's in or out of the classroom.
With close to 40 teams and afterschool programs, at St. Andrew's-Sewanee no one is left sitting on the bench. In addition to the usual athletic offerings, SAS offers Outdoor Adventure, a Mind-Body-Exercise program, varsity Mountain Biking, and a competitive climbing team.
Sewanee is a small town that's big on education. Thanks to a special relationship with the University of the South, students at St. Andrew's-Sewanee enjoy the opportunity to take college courses for free, attend dozens of concerts and lectures each year, and have access to a research library. Sewanee's downtown offers coffee houses, restaurants, and gift shops.
At St. Andrew's-Sewanee leadership means starting your own activities and organizations, not just filling someone else's shoes. In addition to serving as proctors and admissions ambassadors, students operate their own radio station, organize service opportunities, design clothing, and grow food for the dining hall. What would you like to do?
SAS students excel at the creative arts and are regularly accepted to top-flight art schools across the country. The SAS Gallery welcomes professional artists throughout the year for exhibitions and student workshops and McCrory Hall hosts professional actors and musicians. In the summers, SAS is home to Shakerag Workshops, a nationally-recognized art program for adults.
We know boarding school can never be quite the same as home but small residential houses help to make life a bit more cozy. Just 12-15 students share each house with a faculty family. Your houseparent is there to lend a hand with homework or help you to navigate a difficult social situation.
Small classes led by talented and dedicated teachers make learning exciting and personal at St. Andrew's-Sewanee. More than half your teachers have advanced degrees and close to half live on campus. Students looking for an additional challenge can take classes for free and for college credit at the nearby University of the South.
Founded in 1868, St. Andrew's-Sewanee and its students enjoy many long held traditions like the Morning Watch, ringing the Chapel Bells after a victory, Creative Expression Assemblies, Winterim, and the International Flag Ceremony. Recent additions include the House Cup Competition, the pancake race, and the Blessing of the Animals.
- St. Andrew's-Sewanee offers small classes, individualized attention, a rigorous college preparatory program and the opportunity to enroll in college courses at the nearby University of the South.
- The scenic, 550-acre campus perched atop the Cumberland Plateau serves both as classroom/laboratory and the setting for a rich array of extracurricular experiences from creative and performing arts and athletics to mountain biking, climbing, and caving.
- The school's Outdoor Adventure and Winterim programs provide students with practical skills and experiences often missing from a traditional college preparatory curriculum.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Tulane University While at Sewanee, I spent the majority of my free time hiking with my friends, planning new community service opportunities with my peers, and getting to know myself. This school is like no other in. . .
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill I was a four-year boarding student at SAS and I can't easily express how grateful I am for what I learned and how much I grew during my time there. I will certainly say that. . .
- Davidson College 1)Each student has individual attention with their teachers and guidance counselors and 2)The weekends always full of activities1)The St. Andrew's-Sewanee School community was like a big family. I came from a high school in. . .
- Earlham College SAS is unique in many ways through its history, location, student body, and academic structure. The things that stand out in my mind are the diversity of the students and the closeness of the community. . .
- Schreiner University There are several things that make St. Andrews unique. The classes are small and we hold regular discussions (which I found to be a wonderful way to learn). Teachers and students develop good relationships because. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|St. Andrew's-Sewanee||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||550 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||252 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1105 - 1340||-|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||16|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$12 million||$17 million|
(Middle School Day $18,500)
|Tuition international students||$49,900||$47,000|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$16,435||$22,410|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Derek Perkins|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Claire Forbes|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||16|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Physics, Calculus, Enrollment at University of the South|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||13||14|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Football, Golf, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||36||23|
|Extracurriculars||Anime, Archery Club, Art Club, Athletic Trainer, Barbell, Christian Athletes, Climbing, Cum Laude, ECO-SAS, Farming, Fashion, Gender & Sexualities Awareness (GSA), Global & Local Outreach, Great Discussions, History Club, Honor Council, House Program Leadership, International Club, Landscape Painting, Literary Magazine, Math Club, Mind-Body-Exercise, Music Lessons, Outdoor Adventure, Outreach,|
|Year: 2012 - 2016||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Sewanee: The University of the South||21|
|University of Tennessee-Knoxville||8|
|Agnes Scott College||3|
|Middle Tennessee State University||3|
|Tennessee Tech University||3|
|Warren Wilson College||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Parents praise SAS for the enthusiasm of the faculty, staff, and administration and the complete dedication to challenging their students to seek academic and personal success. Students love SAS because of the respect they receive from all members of the campus community, the lack of cliques, and the opportunities to "get off the bench" and participate in a wide variety of academic, athletic, and artistic opportunities.
- Better than AP - Eligible students take courses for college credit at the University of the South, one of the top-ranked liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Grounded in the traditions of the Episcopal Church, St. Andrew's-Sewanee welcomes students of all traditions and celebrates diversity of faith and thought while encouraging students to search for a deeper understanding of life, purpose and service.
- The School's Outdoor Adventure Program, Farm, Winterim, and Visiting Artists' Program are just a few of the innovative programs that provide added value, excitement, and experience outside of the traditional classroom.
- LD types supported: Learning Resources Center provides support.
- School accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Agee - Pulitzer-prize winning writer
- Kix Brooks '73 - Grammy-award winning singer, host of American Country Countdown
- Elisabeth Rohm '91 - Television and movie actress
- Robert Temple '61 - Author and documentary film maker
- Dr. George P. Garrett, Jr. '46 - Poet Laureate of Virginia
- Stephen Alvarez '83 - National Geographic Photographer
- Sean Bridgers '86 - Television and movie actor
- Eban Goodstein '78 - Economist, author, and environmental educator
- Mike deGruy '69 - Documentary Film Maker
- Submit Review for St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
September 28, 2017
Use a spreadsheet to develop your initial list of schools. Here's how.
September 28, 2017
Finding the right boarding school for your child is one of the most important and expensive decisions you will ever make.
September 05, 2017
Generous financial aid and a commitment to diversity are hallmarks of the 21st century release of St. Grottlesex. More here.