St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #2 - One of the South's Most Beautiful High Schools, as chosen by Southern Living magazine, the school's 550-acre campus, including forests, bluffs and two lakes, offers abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. A school farm, on-going wetlands study, and LEED Gold science building are just a few of the ways our campus also serves as learning lab.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #3 - Small classes led by talented and dedicated teachers make learning exciting and personal at St. Andrew's-Sewanee. More than half your teachers have advanced degrees and close to half live on campus. Students looking for an additional challenge can take classes for free and for college credit at the nearby University of the South.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #4 - With close to 40 teams and afterschool programs, at St. Andrew's-Sewanee no one is left sitting on the bench. In addition to the usual athletic offerings, SAS offers Outdoor Adventure, a Mind-Body-Exercise program, varsity Mountain Biking, and a competitive climbing team.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #5 - At St. Andrew's-Sewanee leadership means starting your own activities and organizations, not just filling someone else's shoes. In addition to serving as proctors and admissions ambassadors, students operate their own radio station, organize service opportunities, design clothing, and grow food for the dining hall. What would you like to do?
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #6 - SAS students excel at the creative arts and are regularly accepted to top-flight art schools across the country. The SAS Gallery welcomes professional artists throughout the year for exhibitions and student workshops and McCrory Hall hosts professional actors and musicians. In the summers, SAS is home to Shakerag Workshops, a nationally-recognized art program for adults.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #7 - We know boarding school can never be quite the same as home but small residential houses help to make life a bit more cozy. Just 12-15 students share each house with a faculty family and are supervised by three houseparents who are there to lend a hand with homework or help you to navigate a difficult social situation.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #8 - Sewanee is a small town that's big on education. Thanks to a special relationship with the University of the South, students at St. Andrew's-Sewanee enjoy the opportunity to take college courses for free, attend dozens of concerts and lectures each year, and have access to a research library. Sewanee's downtown offers coffee houses, restaurants, and gift shops.
- Challenge. Balance. Joy. St. Andrew`s-Sewanee School is a private, co-educational, Episcopal, boarding and day college preparatory school serving 250 students in grades 6-12. We CHALLENGE our students to fulfill their greatest potential while helping them to cultivate lives of BALANCE and JOY. CORE VALUESGood teaching inspires curiosity.
- Students deserve to have their individual needs met for both challenge and support.
- Depth has more value than breadth. Time outdoors is time well spent.
- Authentic narrative assessments are more useful than grades and standardized test scores.
- God calls us to be actively compassionate and to value what makes one another unique.
- The future will belong to creative, lifelong learners. POINTS OF PRIDENew members of our community quickly feel welcome and valued.
- Our intellectually, socially, and economically diverse student body blends well.
- We enjoy the educational, recreational, and creative opportunities provided by our beautiful campus.
- Our relationship with the University of the South provides extraordinary opportunities for our students.
- We foster a healthy balance between work and play. Our students are encouraged to formulate their own values and beliefs.
- Students find enduring mentors among our faculty and staff. Our graduates thrive in advanced college coursework, self-advocacy, and written communication.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Richmond A school's culture is one of the most important feature of a learning environment and SAS's culture is kind, supportive, and encouraging. It's small enough to be personal and yet has enough space to create. . .
- Tulane University While at Sewanee, I spent the majority of my free time hiking with my friends, planning new community service opportunities with my peers, and getting to know myself. This school is like no other in. . .
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill I was a four-year boarding student at SAS and I can't easily express how grateful I am for what I learned and how much I grew during my time there. I will certainly say that. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|St. Andrew's-Sewanee||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||550 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||318 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||26||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:5||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$19.5 million||$20 million|
(Middle School Day $19,900)
|Tuition international students||$54,500||$50,000|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$17,499||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 15 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Derek Perkins|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Anna Palmer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||17|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Physics, Calculus, Enrollment at University of the South|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||14||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Football, Golf, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||45||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Anime Club, Archery Club, Art Club, Athletic Trainer, Barbell Club, Chinese Culture Club, Christian Athletes, Cum Laude, Cycling Club, Debate Club, Dungeons & Dragons Club, ECO-SAS, Ethics Bowl, Farming, Fashion Club, Gender & Sexualities Awareness, House Leadership, Interact Club, International Club, International Student Mentors, K-Pop Dance Club, Landscape Painting, Literary Magazine, Magic Club, Math Club, Outreach, Proctors, Radio Station, Scout Troop 14, Scouting, Strength and Conditioning, Student Vestry, Theatre, Videography, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Global & Local Outreach, Guitar Ensemble, History Club, Honor Council, Upper School Vocal Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Climbing Team, Great Discussions, Outdoor Adventure, Robotics Club, Write Clu
|Year: 2015 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|The University of the South||28|
|Tennessee Technological University||7|
|University of Tennessee, Knoxville||7|
|The University of Alabama in Huntsville||6|
|University of Tennessee, Chattanooga||6|
|Motlow State Community College||4|
|Warren Wilson College||4|
|East Tennessee State University||3|
|University of Washington||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Parents praise SAS for the enthusiasm of the faculty, staff, and administration and the complete dedication to challenging their students to seek academic and personal success. Students love SAS because of the respect they receive from all members of the campus community, the lack of cliques, and the opportunities to "get off the bench" and participate in a wide variety of academic, athletic, and artistic opportunities.
- Better than AP - Eligible students take courses for college credit at the University of the South, one of the top-ranked liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Grounded in the traditions of the Episcopal Church, St. Andrew's-Sewanee welcomes students of all traditions and celebrates diversity of faith and thought while encouraging students to search for a deeper understanding of life, purpose, and service.
- The School's Outdoor Adventure Program, Farm, Winterim, and Visiting Artists' Program are just a few of the innovative programs that provide added value, excitement, and experience outside of the traditional classroom.
- LD types supported: Learning Resources Center provides support.
- St. Andrew's-Sewanee School accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Agee - Pulitzer-prize winning writer
- Kix Brooks '73 - Grammy-award winning singer, host of American Country Countdown
- Elisabeth Rohm '91 - Television and movie actress
- Rachel Bonds '01 - Playwright
- Dr. George P. Garrett, Jr. '46 - Poet Laureate of Virginia
- Stephen Alvarez '83 - National Geographic Photographer
- Sean Bridgers '86 - Television and movie actor
- Eban Goodstein '78 - Economist, author, and environmental educator
- Mike deGruy '69 - Documentary Film Maker
- Brian Jordan Alvarez '05 - Actor, Writer, Filmmaker
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
You need to know what is being taught before you decide which boarding school is best for you.
Spotlight on boarding schools in Canada.
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.