St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #2 - One of the South's Most Beautiful High Schools, as chosen by Southern Living magazine, the school's 550-acre campus, including forests, bluffs and two lakes, offers abundant opportunities for outdoor recreation. A school farm, on-going wetlands study, and LEED Gold science building are just a few of the ways our campus also serves as learning lab.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #3 - Small classes led by talented and dedicated teachers make learning exciting and personal at St. Andrew's-Sewanee. More than half your teachers have advanced degrees and close to half live on campus. Students looking for an additional challenge can take classes for free and for college credit at the nearby University of the South.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #4 - With close to 40 teams and afterschool programs, at St. Andrew's-Sewanee no one is left sitting on the bench. In addition to the usual athletic offerings, SAS offers Outdoor Adventure, a Mind-Body-Exercise program, varsity Mountain Biking, and a competitive climbing team.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #5 - At St. Andrew's-Sewanee leadership means starting your own activities and organizations, not just filling someone else's shoes. In addition to serving as proctors and admissions ambassadors, students operate their own radio station, organize service opportunities, design clothing, and grow food for the dining hall. What would you like to do?
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #6 - SAS students excel at the creative arts and are regularly accepted to top-flight art schools across the country. The SAS Gallery welcomes professional artists throughout the year for exhibitions and student workshops and McCrory Hall hosts professional actors and musicians. In the summers, SAS is home to Shakerag Workshops, a nationally-recognized art program for adults.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #7 - We know boarding school can never be quite the same as home but small residential houses help to make life a bit cozier. Just 12-15 students share each house with a faculty family and are supervised by three houseparents who are there to lend a hand with homework or help you to navigate a difficult social situation.
St. Andrew's-Sewanee School Photo #8 - Sewanee is a small town that's big on education. Thanks to a special relationship with the University of the South, students at St. Andrew's-Sewanee enjoy the opportunity to take college courses for free, attend dozens of concerts and lectures each year, and have access to a research library. Sewanee's downtown offers coffee houses, restaurants, and gift shops.
- Challenge. Balance. Joy. St. Andrew`s-Sewanee School is a private, co-educational, Episcopal, boarding and day college preparatory school serving 250 students in grades 6-12. We CHALLENGE our students to fulfill their greatest potential while helping them to cultivate lives of BALANCE and JOY. You belong here!
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Richmond A school's culture is one of the most important feature of a learning environment and SAS's culture is kind, supportive, and encouraging. It's small enough to be personal and yet has enough space to create. . .
- Tulane University While at Sewanee, I spent the majority of my free time hiking with my friends, planning new community service opportunities with my peers, and getting to know myself. This school is like no other in. . .
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill I was a four-year boarding student at SAS and I can't easily express how grateful I am for what I learned and how much I grew during my time there. I will certainly say that. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2020 School Data
|St. Andrew's-Sewanee||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||8-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12||9-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||550 acres||125 acres|
|Enrollment||250 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||15 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Student : Teacher Ratio||7:1||7:1|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$20 million||$22 million|
($43,000 for students from Appalachian states)
(Middle School Day $20,300)
|Tuition international students||$54,500||$53,500|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$15,755||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Derek Perkins|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Anna Palmer|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||132||18|
|Courses||Advanced Biology, Advanced Chemistry, Advanced Physics, Calculus, Enrollment at University of the South|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||12||16|
|Sports||Basketball, Climbing, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Golf, Mountain Biking, Soccer, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||44||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Airsoft Club, Archery Club, Art Club, Athletic Trainer, Breakfast (Health) Club, Chinese Culture Club, Cum Laude, Cycling Club, Debate Club, Dungeons & Dragons Club, ECO-SAS, Ethics Bowl, Farming, Gender & Sexualities Awareness, House Leadership, Interact Club, International Club, International Student Mentors, K-Pop Dance Club, Literary Magazine, Magic Club, Math Club, Outreach, Proctors, Public Speaking Club, Radio Station, Robotics Club, Scouting, Student Vestry, Tea Club, Videography, Write Club, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Global & Local Outreach, Guitar Ensemble, History Club, Honor Council, Theatre, Upper School Vocal Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Climbing Team, Great Discussions, Outdoor Adventure, Skateboarding Club, Strength and Conditioning
|Year: 2015 - 2019||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|The University of the South||28|
|Tennessee Technological University||7|
|University of Tennessee, Knoxville||7|
|The University of Alabama in Huntsville||6|
|University of Tennessee, Chattanooga||6|
|Motlow State Community College||4|
|Warren Wilson College||4|
|East Tennessee State University||3|
|University of Washington||3|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Parents praise SAS for the enthusiasm of the faculty, staff, and administration and the complete dedication to challenging their students to seek academic and personal success. Students love SAS because of the respect they receive from all members of the campus community, the lack of cliques, and the opportunities to "get off the bench" and participate in a wide variety of academic, athletic, and artistic opportunities.
- Better than AP - Eligible students take courses for college credit at the University of the South, one of the top-ranked liberal arts colleges in the U.S. Grounded in the traditions of the Episcopal Church, St. Andrew's-Sewanee welcomes students of all traditions and celebrates diversity of faith and thought while encouraging students to search for a deeper understanding of life, purpose, and service.
- The School's Outdoor Adventure Program, Farm, Winterim, and Visiting Artists' Program are just a few of the innovative programs that provide added value, excitement, and experience outside of the traditional classroom.
- LD types supported: Learning Resources Center provides support.
- St. Andrew's-Sewanee School accreditations: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- James Agee - Pulitzer-prize winning writer
- Kix Brooks '73 - Grammy-award winning singer, host of American Country Countdown
- Elisabeth Rohm '91 - Television and movie actress
- Rachel Bonds '01 - Playwright
- Dr. George P. Garrett, Jr. '46 - Poet Laureate of Virginia
- Stephen Alvarez '83 - National Geographic Photographer
- Sean Bridgers '86 - Television and movie actor
- Eban Goodstein '78 - Economist, author, and environmental educator
- Mike deGruy '69 - Documentary Film Maker
- Brian Jordan Alvarez '05 - Actor, Writer, Filmmaker
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for St. Andrew's-Sewanee School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Do you like large schools or small schools? Are you most comfortable in a city, small town or countryside? Are you interested in attending a school that has a religious or military orientation? Would you like to attend a school that is only for boys or girls? These are some questions you must ask yourself before you begin your search for the right U.S. boarding school for you.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
A boarding school is a business. Is your business on brand?