Kents Hill School
5.00 (1 review)
PO Box 257, 1614 Main St., Rte. 17
Kents Hill, ME 04349
Kents Hill, ME 04349
Kents Hill School Photo #2 - Our unique curriculum includes ELS classes, an Environmental Studies department and the Akin Learning Center for motivated students with learning differences.
Kents Hill School Photo #3 - The Performing Arts Center in Newton Hall houses the performing arts program, which includes the Contemporary Band, Kents Hill Singers, and the Kents Hill Chamber music group.
Kents Hill School Photo #4 - Athletes enjoy the on-campus O'Connor Alpine Training Center for alpine racers and riders. Everyone enjoys it on Saturday nights!
Kents Hill School Photo #5 - With activity-packed weekends, community service, regular trips to Augusta, Portland and Boston, many extracurricular clubs, and leadership programs, one can never claim to be bored at Kents Hill!
Kents Hill School Photo #6 - The Visual Arts Program includes 3 AP Studio Art programs. The Williams Woodworking studio holds our most popular art class! Every year we send students to top art schools throughout the country.
- Kents Hill School is a small, co-educational boarding school located just three hours north of Boston and an hour from Portland, Maine.
- Small classes, low student to faculty ratios, a diverse student body from 21 states and 20 nations, a broad academic curriculum which includes ELS and the Akin Learning Center, a strong arts program and a competitive athletics program provide our students with a warm community and an all-inclusive college preparatory experience.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Hawaii Pacific Univerity Wonderful school. Small classes. Great teachers and administrators. Culture, history, art, science, sports and languages are everywhere. It is a school that raises great men and women that can and do make a difference. A. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 117 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Kents Hill School||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||400 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||230 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Monthly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal|
(Button-Up, Tie, No Jacket Required)
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$24 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Leanne Yeaton Burnham|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Alison Lincoln-Rich|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||15||17|
|Courses||AP AB Calculus, AP Art History, AP Biology, AP Chemistry, AP English Literature, AP Environmental Studies, AP European History, AP Government and Politics, AP Physics, AP Studio Art, AP U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country Running, Equestrian, Fencing, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Mountain Biking, Riding, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Admission Tour Guides, Amnesty International Club, Community Service Club, Dorm Proctors, Foodies, Green Team, Literary Magazine, Math Team, Model UN, National Honor Society, Newspaper, Peer Counselor, Peer Tutor, Robotics, Student Activities, Student Ambassador, Student Council, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Contemporary Band, Drama Club, Kents Hill Chamber Group, Kents Hill Singers
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Outing Club, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Located on a 400-acre campus, Kents Hill School provides a comprehensive college preparatory program in a supportive and friendly environment for students from all over the world. Small classes with a low student to faculty ratio, a strong, broad academic curriculum and a competitive athletics program provide our students with a wealth of opportunities. AP and honors courses exist within most departments and provide an accelerated approach to many subjects; Kents Hill was a 2003 recipient of the Siemens Foundation Award for achievement in mathematics and science at the Advanced Placement level.
- The arts, music, and theater are also important components of the academic experience, as are our many clubs and activities, while sports such as ice hockey, alpine skiing, snowboarding, football, fencing, horseback riding, lacrosse, field hockey, basketball and baseball round out the athletics program. Special programs such as Environmental Studies, English Language Services (ELS) and the Waters Learning Skills Center (for motivated students with learning differences) round out the Kents Hill experience. In recent years, the school has opened the Alfond Athletics Center, the Harold Alfond Athletics Fields (the largest contiguous area of turf in New England), the Williams Woodworking Studio, the Performing Arts Center at Newton Hall, and Reed Hall, a girls residence hall.
- LD types supported: Mild/Moderate Learning Differences
- School accreditations: NEASC
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Leon Leonwood Bean - Founder of L.L. Bean, Freeport, Maine
- Alden J. Blethen - Publisher of The Seattle Daily Times
- Submit Review for Kents Hill School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 9-12, PG | 578 students 52.7 miles745 Main Street
Fryeburg, ME 04037
September 17, 2018
We explain how to make going off to boarding school your child's idea.
August 28, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
August 14, 2018
An education consultant knows schools. Like any professional he has vast experience in and knowledge of his chosen field.