The Academy's teachers are prepared and trained at the Brewster Summer Institute, a professional development program designed to assist teachers in maximizing student growth. Each instructor is placed on a nine-member teaching team. Each team teaches and advises students in a single grade, allowing for constant communication and interaction. Teams meet three times weekly to discuss each student's progress
You won't find desks in rows in Brewster classrooms. Students actively collaborate - working in groups where you learn through guided instruction and cooperative learning. Project-based learning (PBL) provide students with a hands-on learning experience with topics of their choice.
Freshwater Ecology students access the largest freshwater laboratory in the state (Lake Winnipesaukee), without leaving campus.
The only independent school with both an indoor convertible turf and outdoor turf for multiple sports.
All students participate in at least one season of interscholastic sports. Recreational and instructional sports also are options. When enrolled in a recreational or instructional class, students also can select arts classes, providing students with a six-day athletics and arts program. Arts offerings include digital photography, drama, dance, studio arts, pottery, music, and advanced media production.
Dance is offered as a class, an afternoon arts option, and a club activity with performances at campus events, including at our nationally-ranked basketball team's home games. The choice is yours.
Twenty family-style dormitories (most overlooking Lake Winnipesaukee) house Brewster?'s boarding students. The environment is family-oriented. Each dorm plans community and social activities through their weekly meetings. An upperclass proctor and faculty community life parents ensure constant communication and availability within this small setting.
There are over 25 clubs from which to choose and if you don't find one that interests you, you can start your own.
- Brewster Academy is a flourishing, innovative secondary school in one of the most picturesque areas of New England on the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee and a short drive from the majestic White Mountains yet less than two hours from Boston.
- The campus sits along a mile of shoreline with 20 dormitories and attached faculty residences that provide a strong on-campus adult and family presence to this quintessential boarding school community.
- Campus is just steps away from a vibrant downtown with cafes, restaurants, and shops.
- An imposing academic building dominates the center of campus and a 50,000 square-foot athletics facility is nestled into the hillside, overlooking the playing fields, the lake, and the mountains.
- A recently renovated performing arts center is a hub for talent and all-school gatherings.
- Take a look for yourself here: http://www.brewsteracademy.org or plan a visit to experience the beauty and community of Brewster.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Boston University The biggest thing that makes Brewster unique is the location. Brewster is located right on the water front of Lake Winni, and directly in the center of the town of Wolfeboro. Students are able. . .
- University of North Carolina Most people are attracted to Brewster for the campus, but the community is worth so much more than the photographs. In all my years of education, I have never met faculty and staff so devoted. . .
- University of Alabama Being in a small town located on a lake (the only Lakes region boarding school that was on a lake may I add) made our school not only unique but also gorgeous. Our classes. . .
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill We have a beautiful view of the lake right as you drive onto campus where you have a clear view of the mountains and even a view of Gunstock. Along with the physical attributes of. . .
- Siena College Brewster’s location and community makes it a special place compared to any other prep school in New England. With the lake bordering our athletic fields, and the mountains off in the distance, the opportunity to. . .
Top 10 Placements
Similar Size Schools
Listed among the top 10 schools with 200-400 students (out of 121 schools) for:
- Category Attribute
- School History Oldest founding date
|Definition of Terms |
2017 School Data
|Brewster Academy||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered||9-12, PG||7-12|
|Supports Learning Differences (LD)||Yes||Yes|
|Campus Size||80 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||355 students||300 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||n/a||* National Avg. »View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Bi-Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||11 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:6||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$15 million||$18 million|
|Tuition international students||$1,150||$48,100|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||35250||$22,844|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Feb. 1 / rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||54%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Nick Wilbur|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Jason Smith, Associate Dir|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||9||17|
|Courses||Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, English Language and Composition, English Literature and Composition, Macroeconomics, Statistics, U.S. History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||15|
|Sports||Alpine Skiing, Baseball, Basketball, Climbing, Crew, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Freestyle Skiing, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Tennis|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||29||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Brewster Big Friends, Debate Team, Diversity Club, Environment Club, Faith Community, Gay Straight Alliance (GSA), Interact Club, International Club, Robotics Team
Arts and Music Programs:
Advanced Media Group, Chamber Orchestra, Clearlakes Chorale, Computer Graphics, Dance Team, Drama Club, HOWL, HOWL Chorus, Jazz Club, Photography, Pottery, Wind Ensemble
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Advanced Strength Training, Conditioning, Flag Football, Outdoor Skills, Recreational Snow Sports, Spinning, Tennis, Yoga
|Year:||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Brewster, a college preparatory school, acknowledges individual learning style differences, employs best practice research in teaching and learning, offers a mastery-based curriculum, and supports this within a technical medium leading to a highly interactive, student-centered and collaborative learning environment.
- Highly personalized and student-centered learning; Discussion-based and interactive classes. Team-based teaching, collaborative learning emphasis and project-based learning.
- Customized, fully integrated academic support programs in which 35% of students are enrolled.
- Emotional Literacy program in partnership with the Yale Center for Emotional Intelligence.National and New England championship teams with unparalleled athletic facilities; More than 25% of graduating students will play sports in college.Traditional arts courses and the latest in digital arts; Newly renovated performing arts center with seating for 450.
- Vibrant downtown with shops, cafes, restaurants, and more all adjacent to campus in Wolfeboro - The Oldest Summer Resort in America.
- Take a 360 Virtual Tour of our lakeside location at www.brewsteracademy.org/tour.
- Contact the Office of Admission to schedule a campus visit, and see if Brewster is the best boarding school choice for you! 603-569-7200 firstname.lastname@example.org.
- School accreditations: New England Association of Schools and Colleges Inc.
- Submit Review for Brewster Academy
- School Location Miles Grades Students
August 02, 2018
Explore the different types of boarding school options in the US. Find which type of boarding school is most appropriate for you.
July 18, 2018
It makes sense to cast your net widely when looking at boarding schools. Here's why.
July 04, 2018
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.