Saint John's Preparatory School
5.00 (3 reviews)
2280 Watertower Road, Box 4000
Collegeville, MN 56321
Collegeville, MN 56321
- "Established in 1857, Saint John`s Prep is a Catholic/Benedictine co-educational International Baccalaureate boarding school for students in grades 6-12, with boarding available beginning in 9th grade.
- We also offer a post-graduate program. Emphasizing academic rigor and spiritual growth, Saint John`s Prep attracts students from across the United States and from around the world.".
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- University of Pittsburgh I like smaller schools. SJP is a small school with a big campus and great views. Everyone I met here were so friendly. As a foreigner and international student, I had great time here, and. . .
- University of California San Diego (UCSD) I really like the fact that there were varieties of classes that I could choose from. My school was IB oriented and it was interesting to see the depth and the level of study that. . .
- University of Iowa I think this school is unique in the sense that it is located close to college campus which allow students to use college facilities. The students may also experience some of the college life by. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Saint John's||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12, PG||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||6-12, PG||Pre-K-12|
|Campus Size||2700 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||260 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1320||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||29||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||Yes||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual||Casual|
|Average Class Size||18 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:9||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||50||17|
|Number of IB Courses Offered||17||-|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Summer Program Cost||$3,000|
|Summer Program Details||Link to Summer Program Details|
|Endowment Size||$12.5 million||$18 million|
(includes room and board)
(all extra-curricular activities fees are included)
|Tuition international students||$45,974||$48,850|
(5 Day Boarding)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$7,345||$23,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||Yes||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Director of Admissions||Laura Hartog|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Mary Jo Leighton|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||20||15|
|Sports||Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Dance, Diving, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Nordic Skiing, Orienteering, Snowboarding, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Swimming and Diving, Tennis, Track, Track and Field|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||24||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Circus Arts, Dance Club, Digital Arts/Tech/Multimedia, Entertainment Committee, Feed-a-Friend, Hilltoppers- Male A Capella, HOSTS Program (Community Service), Industrial Arts, International Student Proctor, Lance (yearbook), Music Guild, National Honor Society, Scholars Bowl, SHAE (Sexual Health Awareness Educators), Singing, Student Government, Theatre Arts Guild, Upper School Government
Arts and Music Programs:
Cheer, Intramural Swimming
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Gymnastics, Madhatters (all girls a cappella singing group), NADA, Student Publication of Poetry and Writing
|Year: 2011 - 2013||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|Pennsylvania State University||5|
|Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey at New Brunswick||3|
|Michigan State University||2|
|The George Washington University||2|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- Celebrating our 160th year of educating students, Saint John`s Prep is a Catholic/Benedictine co-educational International Baccalaureate boarding school for students in grades 6-12 and offers a post-graduate program.
- Boarding is available for students in grades 9-12. Five day and seven day options are available.
- All students receive school-issued iPad during the academic year.
- All weekend breaks can be covered by trips or host family stays, except for Christmas.
- With an emphasis on academic rigor and spiritual growth, Saint John`s Prep attracts students from the local area, across United States and from around the world.
- The high school shares the campus with Saint John`s University, a premiere liberal arts college. The resulting additional opportunities include the chance to take authentic college classes, and provides full access to the athletic facilities, the college library, dining facilities, etc.
- Saint John`s Prep is located on 2,700 acres in central Minnesota, 70 miles northwest of Minneapolis and St. Paul.
- Incoming 9th grade students may apply for one of five Headmaster Scholarships based on their academic, athletic, leadership and extra-curricular activities. A science scholarship and theatre scholarship are also available. New resident students attend week-long Orientation Program to become familiar with campus, register for classes, meet other students and more.
- Saint John's Preparatory School accreditations: Independent Schools Association of the Central States and the North Central Association (ISACS)
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Senator Eugene McCarthy - 1932 - Senator
- Senator David Durenberger - 1951 - Senator
- Sossina Haile, Ph.D. '83 - Ms. Haile was named by Newsweek among twelve prominent individuals to watch in 2008 for her work on developing a new type of fuel cells, which produce energy through chemical reactions; their chief emission is pure water.
- Jennifer Waldron, Ph.D. ’92 - Ms. Waldron is an Assistant Professor and conducting research at the University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Rapids’ School of Health, Physical Education and Leisure Services.
- Anton Bacardi ’70 - Notable alumni
- Emilio Bacardi ’68 - Notable alumni
- Abbot John B. Klassen, OSB '67 - Abbot of Saint John's Monastery, Collegeville, MN
- Julius C. Smith ’48 - Lawyer and founder of the Minnesota Renaissance Fair
- Judge R. A. (Jim) Randall ‘58 - Minnesota Judge
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Saint John's Preparatory School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
The quality of a summer camp depends very much on the quality and experience of the folks running it. When you select a summer program run by a boarding school, you are getting a program with experienced, well-organized professionals at the helm. More here.
Here then are a dozen boarding schools which charge approximately $20,000 per year or less for tuition, room and board.
You and I have experienced all kinds of travel glitches. Discuss your child's upcoming travel plans thoroughly so that your child will be safe and in charge of her travel. The result will be peace of mind for you both.