5.00 (2 reviews)
1115 West Broadway Street
Winona, MN 55987
Winona, MN 55987
Cotter Schools Photo #2 - Cotter Schools offers a variety of musical offerings: Jazz Band, Concert Band, Show Choir, and Choir. Concerts are performed throughout the school year.
Cotter Schools Photo #3 - Cotter is strong in math and science offerings, with dedicated college-level laboratory time for hands-on learning and exploration.
Cotter Schools Photo #4 - Many Cotter Schools co-curricular activities are offered including theater/drama, math team, chess club, speech team, National Honor Society, and several others.
Cotter Schools Photo #5 - Cotter is a diverse boarding Catholic school community of faith, scholarship, and service with caring teachers and a 1:11 student/teacher ratio.
Cotter Schools Photo #6 - Cotter Schools has many art offerings including painting, drawing, and computer art.
Cotter Schools Photo #7 - Cotter family spirit; Fall, Spring, and Winter sports offered for boys and girls including football, soccer, cross country running, golf, tennis, swimming, and volleyball.
Cotter Schools Photo #8 - Successful math team - Cotter Schools has placed first or second in State competition the last 20 years!
Cotter Schools Photo #9 - Loretto Hall is home to over 80 boarding students from 15 different countries that attend Cotter Schools. Nine adult mentors live in the Residence Center.
- Cotter Schools is an international learning community guided by faith since 1911 where character, personal development, and academic achievement inspire a world of possibilities. Join the Cotter Family where standards values and YOU matter!
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Winona state university What made Cotter truly unique was the staff. Each day I walked into school I was met with friendly faces and a warm sense of community. The teaching staff at Cotter High School truly went. . .
- College of St. Benedict I feel that Cotter was unique against other boarding schools because it had both traditional day students and boarding students. Many students in my class would “adopt” a student to have to family gatherings and. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Cotter Schools||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||9 acres||105 acres|
|Enrollment||381 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1268||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||24||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants and polo shirts)
|Average Class Size||17 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:11||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$15 million||$20 million|
(Tuition, boarding, ESL, and medical insurance)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Mr. Erik Christenson|
Mrs. Linda Schrupp
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||13||18|
|Courses||(H) Chemistry, (H) Discrete Math, (H) Elementary Linear Algebra, (H) Multivariable Calculus, (H) Non-Euclidean Geometry, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Language & Composition, AP Literature & Composition, AP Physics, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||18||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Cross Country Running, Diving, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||23|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Cotter Residence Council, Cross Cultural Ministry Program, Math Team, National Honor Society, Parmies, Photography Club, Speech Team, Student Council, Students Promoting Awareness, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama/Musical Productions, Marching Band/Pep Band, Music Listening, Summer Marching Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Intramural Sports
|Year: 2014 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of Saint Benedict/St. John's University||12|
|Penn State University||8|
|University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign||8|
|University of Minnesota - Duluth||8|
|University of Minnesota - Twin Cities||8|
|University of St. Thomas||8|
|University of Washington||8|
|University of Wisconsin - Platteville||8|
- More than 20 years experience in serving boarding students
- Unique academic opportunities in math, science & technology
- Award winning band and choir programs
- College preparatory curriculum that includes college credit programs, AP and Honors classes
- International summer exchange programs
- Faith based education promoting honesty,respect and service to others
- 100%graduation rate with upper percentile ACT and SAT scores
- Affordable tuition with a generous post-secondary scholarship available to every Cotter graduate
- Twenty four successful athletic programs committed to developing champions
- Motivated students and teachers who care
- Small class sizes with individual attention to student needs
- Learning Center support
- School community represents nine different countries
- Cotter Schools accreditations: AdvancED, NCEA, TABS, MCEA, SSATB
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Donal - Governor, State of Nevada, 1971-1979
- Bob Kierlin - Founder and Chairman of Fastenal Company
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Cotter Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12| 437 students 625.6 miles60 Knox Lane
Wheeling, WV 26003
Learn how financial aid works in boarding schools.
The Association of Boarding Schools has a common admissions application form which simplifies the admissions application process.
Teaching in a residential school brings its own challenges as well as some very powerful advantages. Here's how to survive your stint as a teacher in a boarding school.