Cotter Schools Photo #2 - Cotter Schools offers a variety of musical offerings: Jazz Band, Concert Band, Show Choir, and Choir. Concerts are performed throughout the school year.
Cotter Schools Photo #3 - Cotter is strong in math and science offerings, with dedicated college-level laboratory time for hands-on learning and exploration.
Cotter Schools Photo #4 - Many Cotter Schools co-curricular activities are offered including theater/drama, math team, chess club, speech team, National Honor Society, and several others.
Cotter Schools Photo #5 - Cotter is a diverse boarding Catholic school community of faith, scholarship, and service with caring teachers and a 1:11 student/teacher ratio.
Cotter Schools Photo #6 - Cotter Schools has many art offerings including painting, drawing, and computer art.
Cotter Schools Photo #7 - Cotter family spirit; Fall, Spring, and Winter sports offered for boys and girls including football, soccer, cross country running, golf, tennis, swimming, and volleyball.
Cotter Schools Photo #8 - Successful math team - Cotter Schools has placed first or second in State competition the last 20 years!
Cotter Schools Photo #9 - Loretto Hall is home to over 80 boarding students from 15 different countries that attend Cotter Schools. Nine adult mentors live in the Residence Center.
- Cotter Schools is an international learning community guided by faith since 1911 where character, personal development, and academic achievement inspire a world of possibilities. Join the Cotter Family where standards values and YOU matter!
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Winona state university What made Cotter truly unique was the staff. Each day I walked into school I was met with friendly faces and a warm sense of community. The teaching staff at Cotter High School truly went. . .
- College of St. Benedict I feel that Cotter was unique against other boarding schools because it had both traditional day students and boarding students. Many students in my class would “adopt” a student to have to family gatherings and. . .
|Definition of Terms |
2018 School Data
|Cotter Schools||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Grades Offered (Boarding)||9-12||9-12|
|Grades Offered (Day)||7-12||9-12|
|Campus Size||9 acres||106 acres|
|Enrollment||350 students||313 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1300||* National Avg. »View|
|Average ACT score||25||*National Avg. » View|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Classroom Dress Code||Casual|
(Khaki pants and polo shirts)
|Average Class Size||17 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:11||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|ESL Courses Offered||Yes||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||Yes||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$15 million||$19 million|
(Tuition, boarding, ESL, and medical insurance)
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$2,500|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||None / Rolling||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||Yes||No|
|Director of Admissions||Mrs. Mandi Olson|
Mrs. Linda Schrupp
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||11||17|
|Courses||(H) Chemistry, (H) Discrete Math, (H) Elementary Linear Algebra, (H) Multivariable Calculus, (H) Non-Euclidean Geometry, AP Calculus AB, AP Calculus BC, AP Language & Composition, AP Literature & Composition, AP Physics, AP US History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||16||15|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Diving, Football, Golf, Gymnastics, Ice Hockey, Nordic Skiing, Soccer, Softball, Swimming, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||17||24|
|Extracurriculars||Club or Organization:|
Chess Club, Cotter Residence Council, Cross Cultural Ministry Program, Math Team, National Honor Society, Parmies, Photography Club, Speech Team, Student Council, Students Promoting Awareness, Yearbook
Arts and Music Programs:
Drama/Musical Productions, Marching Band/Pep Band, Music Listening, Summer Marching Band
Recreational Athletic Programs:
Badminton Club, Intramural Sports
|Year: 2014 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of Saint Benedict/St. John's University||12|
|Penn State University||8|
|University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign||8|
|University of Minnesota - Duluth||8|
|University of Minnesota - Twin Cities||8|
|University of St. Thomas||8|
|University of Washington||8|
|University of Wisconsin - Platteville||8|
- More than 20 years experience in serving boarding students
- Unique academic opportunities in math, science & technology
- Award winning band and choir programs
- College preparatory curriculum that includes college credit programs, AP and Honors classes
- International summer exchange programs
- Faith based education promoting honesty,respect and service to others
- 100%graduation rate with upper percentile ACT and SAT scores
- Affordable tuition with a generous post-secondary scholarship available to every Cotter graduate
- Twenty four successful athletic programs committed to developing champions
- Motivated students and teachers who care
- Small class sizes with individual attention to student needs
- Learning Center support
- School community represents nine different countries
- Cotter Schools accreditations: AdvancED, NCEA, TABS, MCEA, SSATB
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Donal - Governor, State of Nevada, 1971-1979
- Bob Kierlin - Founder and Chairman of Fastenal Company
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Cotter Schools
- School Location Miles Grades Students
- Grades: 7-12| 437 students 625.6 miles60 Knox Lane
Wheeling, WV 26003
Readers send dozens of questions via Facebook, Twitter and email. What do they ask? Readers want to know which is the best school in a particular country or region. A close second is figuring out how to pay for a private school education. Here are some readers' questions with my answers.
Private school mottoes speak to the high-minded purposes for which most schools were founded.
If you are just beginning to explore boarding schools, this article will give you an overview of the subject. We also point out a couple of things to watch for as you begin your exploration.