Portsmouth Abbey School
- Portsmouth Abbey School is a Catholic, co-educational boarding and day school for students in grades 9 through 12.
- The school is located on a beautiful 525-acre campus along Narragansett Bay, just a few miles from Newport, RI. For over 90 years, the Abbey`s liberal arts curriculum has prepared students for lives of significance and purpose.
- This education is grounded in the Western intellectual tradition and teaches students to solve problems, communicate ideas, work together, and innovate.
Alumni Reviews Review School
- Review Description
- Saint Johns College Portsmouth Abbey is very different in that the community of the school is very close-knit due to its size so you really do get to know everyone there. It’s also catholic so weekly mass as. . .
- Arcadia University At Portsmouth Abbey School, the community is so engrained with basic Benedictine values that are so evident in the vibe of the campus. When yo was around everyone says hi to each other and is. . .
- Bowdoin College One thing that makes us unique from other schools is our religious aspect. We were founded by a Benedictine Catholic monastery that still is active, and it influences campus life. We have mass every Sunday. . .
|Definition of Terms|
| 2019 School Data
|Portsmouth Abbey||Boarding School Avg.|
|School Focus||College Prep||College Preparatory|
|Campus Size||525 acres||120 acres|
|Enrollment||360 students||320 students|
|% Students of Color|
|% International Students|
|% Students Boarding|
|Average SAT Score||1400||* National Avg. »View|
|SAT range (25th-75th percentile)||1260 - 1453||-|
|Offers Post-Grad Year||No||No|
Academics and Faculty
|Frequency of Saturday Classes||Weekly||Weekly|
|Classroom Dress Code||Formal||Casual|
|Average Class Size||13 students||12|
*National School Avg. » 20
|Teacher : Student Ratio||1:7||1:7|
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|ESL Courses Offered||No||Yes|
|% Faculty with Advanced Degree|
|Summer Program Offered||No||Yes|
|Endowment Size||$48 million||$20 million|
|% Students on Financial Aid|
|Avg. Financial Aid Grant||$37,500||$25,000|
|Merit Scholarships Offered||No||No|
|Application Deadline||Jan. 31||Jan. 15|
|Accepts Standardized Application||No||No|
|Average Percentile SSAT||72%||-|
|Director of Admissions||Steve Pietraszek|
|Associate Director of Admissions||Allie Skelley|
|List of Courses Offered||Link to List of Courses|
AP / Advanced Courses
|# of AP / Advanced Courses Offered||16||18|
|Courses||Art History, Biology, Calculus AB, Calculus BC, Chemistry, Computer Science A, English Language and Composition, European History, French Language and Culture, Latin, Music Theory, Physics C, Spanish Language and Culture, Statistics, United States History, World History|
|# Interscholastic Sports Offered||17||16|
|Sports||Baseball, Basketball, Cross Country, Equestrian, Field Hockey, Football, Golf, Ice Hockey, Lacrosse, Sailing, Soccer, Softball, Squash, Tennis, Track and Field, Volleyball, Wrestling|
|Total Extracurricular Organizations||27||24|
|Extracurriculars||Big Sister/Little Sister Council, Christian Community Service, Cultural Awareness Club, Debate Club, Red Key, Taekwondo Society, Teens Leading Children, The Beacon, The Gregorian, The Raven, TLC, Wilderness Club, WJHD|
Club or Organization:
Appalachia Service Project, Astronomy Club, Beta Club (academic honor society), Chinese Language & Culture Club, Classics Club, March for Life Group, Scriptorium, VT Teen Leadership Safety Program
Arts and Music Programs:
A Flats, Abbey Singers, G Sharps, orchestra, Pro Deo, Study Club
|Year: 2015 - 2018||10 Most Popular College Choices (# Enrolled)|
|College of the Holy Cross||9|
|New York University||8|
|The George Washington University||8|
|Johns Hopkins University||6|
|United States Naval Academy||5|
|Link to Matriculation Data|
- The aim of Portsmouth Abbey School is to help young men and women grow in knowledge and grace. Grounded in the Catholic faith and 1500-year-old Benedictine intellectual tradition, the School fosters:
- Reverence - for God and the human person
- Respect - for learning and order
- Responsibility - for the shared experience of community life
- Part of our mission is to live in a community that values each of its members, and our similarities and differences. This mission enables our students to better understand themselves and the world around them. Our students thrive in this environment and take full advantage of the spiritual, athletic, artistic, and service opportunities that exist on our campus and beyond. Our sense of community is strong, vibrant, and easy to feel, although sometimes challenging to put into words.
- We celebrate our achievements, and we offer help to those in need in an effort to make this a more gracious community. We invite you to learn more about Portsmouth Abbey School in the following pages and our website, but most importantly please come and see it for yourself.
- Portsmouth Abbey School accreditations: NEASC, TABS, NAIS
- Sample of notable school alumni/alumnae:
- Christopher Buckley - writer and political satirist; former Managing Editor of Esquire Magazine; chief speech writer for Vice President George H. W. Bush; author of Thank You for Smoking
- John E. Pepper, Jr. - Chairman of the Walt Disney Company
- Robert F. Kennedy - U.S. Senator from New York; U.S. Attorney General
- Edward M. Kennedy - U.S. Senator from Massachusetts
- Peter M. Flanigan - Assistant to President Richard Nixon
- Benedict Fitzgerald - American screenwriter - In Cold Blood, Wise Blood; co-wrote Aramaic, Hebrew, and Latin screenplay for The Passion of the Christ
- Charlie Day - actor, writer, executive producter - It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
- William Ruckelshaus - first Administrator of the Environmental Protection Agency; former FBI director and U.S. Deputy Attorney General
Profile last updated:
- Submit Review for Portsmouth Abbey School
- School Location Miles Grades Students
Does your son or daughter ride? Are you thinking about finding a private school which will suit both your academic requirements and your child's penchant for riding? Let's look at a couple of schools with riding programs.
What are you allowed to bring to boarding school? What are you not allowed to bring to boarding school? Answers to those questions and more.
Four reasons shaped our decision. I share these and other insights with you.